Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Since when has Whiterock been a nude beach?

• 01-06-2021 8:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭

Was down on Whiterock beach yesterday in the good weather, and when walking over to where the cave is there was a load of people sitting out nude, people by themselves, couples and even groups of friends with some in birthday suits.

From the area and never knew this happened at Whiterock. Is this a recent occurrence? Is lockdown getting to people. Btw dont have a problem with it but suprised as live close and never herd anybody mentioning it was a nude area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Yesterday crazy because good weather dont tell everyone attract more crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

I've seen them from the DART on occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭seablue

Ive never seen that, but I only swim there occasionally.

Vico Road/Hawks Cliff is the only official naturist bathing spot, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

They've been doing that there for years
    They tend to stay up by that end of the beach

There was nude yoga there a while back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

frash wrote: »

Oh never knew. I walk killiney beach then onto Whiterock with the dog if the tide is out. Nearly always go up the steps instead of going past the steps where the cave is so that is why never really noticed it. Just suprised never herd about it.

Swim at vico baths too but since lockdown the place is mental on a good day. A few years ago when it was quiet and less known you would see nudists but rarely now and I go for a swim there a few days a week. But Whiterock yesterday was packed with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Oh never knew. I walk killiney beach then onto Whiterock with the dog if the tide is out. Nearly always go up the steps instead of going past the steps where the cave is so that is why never really noticed it. Just suprised never herd about it.

Swim at vico baths too but since lockdown the place is mental on a good day. A few years ago when it was quiet and less known you would see nudists but rarely now and I go for a swim there a few days a week. But Whiterock yesterday was packed with them.

Think you have to go early to the Vico to see the nudie men (so my wife tells me anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Think you have to go early to the Vico to see the nudie men (so my wife tells me anyway)

Ok. Nearly always swim in the evening before sunset when not busy so miss them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

White Rock has been known as an informal nude bathing area for as long as I can recall and I'm in my mid 40s and grew up in the area.

I have to say I would have considered it more of a men's nude area a bit like the Forty Foot of old, but if there are both men and women there now as you describe, it doesn't surprise me much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭crushproof

Surprised at how mobbed the Vico gets now, I guess that's one of the curses of the social media generation, nowhere is a secret anymore! Even 10 years ago it would be quite on the hottest days of the year. No doubt the regular nudists aren't too happy with the increase in crowds.

There's always been some nudists at far end of White Rock, definitely used to be early morning nude yoga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tai chi, still on every so often

Noticed a lot of nudees myself up there. They seemed quite amateurish. One of them Was completely burnt from toes to bald spot. No one was offering to put on sun cream , can’t imagine he’ll be sitting down this week.

• Advertisement

Lol. Schoolboy error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

At least 38 years. School friend lived in the area and we used to giggle about it in school - and that was a long long long time ago :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Leticia Medina

Very interesting to read all these comments.

I have been organising nude yoga and taichi on White Rock in 2020 and 2021 and I know some of us look pretty amateurish indeed, hahaha! We'll have to keep practising, watch for it in summer 2022!

I'm always on the outlook for different activities, you are welcome to contact me if you can offer naked qigong, naked movement, etc. Anything to keep warm in between swims.

White Rock is arguably the best clothing optional beach in Dublin or at least taking into account European standards of normalization of social nudity. We wrote an article in our blog about it (irishnaturism dot org slash nudist-white-rock)

Naturism/nudism is no longer a thing for old Irish men only, by the way, and the Irish Naturist Association has a female president these days :-)

We organise loads of meetups there during the fine season (May-October). Feel free to contact me in case you need more information or want to join a group.

Leticia Medina - Chairwoman

Irish Naturist Association

www.irishnaturism.org

Haha, I wasn’t referring to your group being amateurs. More the guys get burnt while sun bathing au natural.

I actual used to work with you guys 20(ish) years ago when you swam at crumlin pool. I was the lifeguard when the regular one was off.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Leticia Medina

Ohhh, what a nice surprise, Ted1!

Just before the pandemic I was enquiring at Crumlin because I am determined to plan "the return of the Crumlin pool" for old times' sake! I would like to add a monthly mid-week swim there and leaving Mespil for Saturdays (Covid and pool availability permitting).

I'd say it is easy to get sun burnt in Ireland with or without swimming attire since we are usually not so prepared for sunshine and forget about creams! I admit it can happen more to us because very often we just plan to go for a quick swim but we encounter many naturist acquaintances in White Rock, so we end up staying longer than intended.

I barely manage to read or sunbathe, the beach is so full of familiar faces that the catching up with the one or the other person makes it impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jamnat1

White Rock suits me fine for naturist purposes. I usually take the DART from the City Centre as far as Killiney, and depending on the tide, I walk the beach for 15 minutes before I reach this naturist spot. I've been making that trek nearly every Sunday since i move to Dublin last year. I wouldn't be making a journey like this unless it was worth it.

Now, while I like Corballis for it's greater space for practicing naturism, for me personally it is some distance to go as I don't have my own transport. Which is why White Rock and the like suits me. 25mins on the DART plus another 15mins walking and I'm there. No hassle.

And as of now there does seem to be a more established tradition of naturism, not to mention a dedicated naturist population in White Rock. I found in my experience when i first arrived there that they are welcoming to newcomers. So I can personally vouch that they are a sound bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dave Wheeler

It's absolutely brilliant that people are so content with themselves and not caught up having to be perfect and are happy to be naturists. Fair play to them for being so tough in these Baltic conditions too haha keep up the great body positively for people of all shapes, sizes and disabilities...we are all just humans after all... wheelchair access would be brilliant

I always thought a funicular would do well at white rock

• Registered Users Posts: 20 urban_nudist

Always amusing when those not familiar with White Rock arrive at the bottom of the steps and take a left turn -- the vast majority don't venture more than a dozen steps or so 😂

If done in a respectful manner there's no reason every beach shouldn't have a similar setup with acceptance of those wanting to sun without suits

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bob425
    Miss

I noticed from the DART yesterday , what looked like quite a number of naturists , male and female at White Rock. I had no idea that was a place to bare all. I was very familier with Vico for many years when it was quite comfortable for men and women to swim there without costumes. I have not been there in a few years and I have heard it gets very crowded there now so I presume not many swim nude there now. A pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Editman

Old thread I know but just wondered if this is still a thing? Seems to me naturism is becoming more and more acceptable and would like to give it a go. Is there a regular crowd here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭CJay1

FYI: Seapoint also gone nude

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Editman

Advertisement