Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Alcohol pricing to be signed into Law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

You said "lots of complaining"

"People on the phone" - that's plural.

Others talking to each other.

Now you say it was just 4 people. I think you wildly exaggerated what you saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Two women moaning to each other in front of me. Not exactly eavesdropping they were talking aloud.

One guy on phone to someone one talking about prices of a certain beer to someone going up.

Another woman turn to guy on phone said its madness.

Aldi is usually a quiet supermarket.

Not exactly a building site with noise. Now is it.

I was in for two minutes to buying a bottle of wine.

A long 2 minutes mind you cause I couldn't decide myself. Imagine what its like all day or across the whole country.

Why Iv to explain myself in detail. Do you want me to draw it in crayon for ya.

How can you not comprehend something that people buy in their weekly shop has doubled overnight and you think it's fine.

Bill's overall in this place have skyrocketed in the last few months.

Funny you should mention that, I just came back from Lidl where 17 people had various opinions on the MUP. 14 were "meh", 1 was using a phone card on the Eircom payphone to call his aunt in France to say they should do it there and the last 2 were sat on the freezers drafting a strongly worded letter of protest. It wasn't going well for the last 2 based on the amount of rolled up sheets of paper on the floors around them.

This is all true, seriously, I even had to ask the last 2 to shift for a minute so I could get a bag of chips

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Has definitely replaced Covid as the conversation topic around here, think most hadn’t realised the effect it would have on them instead of the boyos buying the 50c cans, lots of bus trips being organised and the lads with vans have never been so popular lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I even had to ask the last 2 to shift.

Well did they ?

Shift each other ?

• Advertisement

Look it believe what ya want to believe. I'm really fooked up of there is no proper discussion on these things without people resorting to calling people outright liars. That's what happened the two minutes I was in. Which if it sounds far fetched.

Not exactly sci fi now is it.

The bs I read on here about the whole country being raving alcoholics is amusing and being cheaper than water. Ffs ya couldn't make such shite.

If ya dont like people drinking alcohol

That's your problem. If youv have a family member affected by it I feel sorry for ya but that's still your problem .

Sort it out with counselling. Not forcing a massive price increase on a product that most people consume in moderation.

This will result in a lot more damage

That's me done here. I wont reply to stupid callouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The level of argument on both sides of this debate leave a lot to be desired, imo.

So much personal abuse, misrepresentation, belittling and oversimplification.

While I'm against MUP, some of the other arguments against it are really pretty strange, though.

As a nation, we have an odd relationship with alcohol, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,378 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Very odd, had a good skinfull of craft lager there recently and got a taxi into the ‘town’ offie to get re-enforcements.

On the way back unfortunately lost control and left about a quart of sour piss in the back seat.

Still feel bad about keeping the poor lass off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Interestingly, nothing I drink has increased in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Prude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is the most idiotic and laughable argument of all. The idea that supermarkets would just absorb a €8-9 excise hike on a bottle of own brand vodka when you already acknowledge they are already absorbing costs! Or absorb a FURTHER hike of €20 or so on 24 beers (or nearly 30 in your example -which is rare) , on top of what they already lose. If anybody believes that their mammy should not let them cross the road on their own, not in your right mind. Embarrassing stuff...

The price paid for the average can of guinness/heineken/bud was WELL below MUP in 2021, this €1.99-2.50 temporary pricing is in place to give the illusion that the cheaply produced beers are "premium". I would love to see the figures for the average price paid.

A massive excise hike to match MUP would "help" far more people, I cannot see how anybody could argue against it, of course they will not want it since they do not want to pay more for THEIR beer, but if they are being fair, and genuinely want to "help" people what is the argument? The government are fully aware of what alcohol costs, the own brand beer & spirits do not have seasonal/fake discounts, they know fine well that a man drinking at the HSE low risk 17 units per week will face a risk of nearly 500euro per year. They have said this pretty much insignificant, realising that this is the rise for the poorest of the poor, or those with very little disposable income (could be a high earner with a big family). So a similar massive hike in excise should be just as acceptable, if you can afford to drink in pubs then it should have far less impact on you, in fact the price hike should be higher, which could be achieved by a massive VAT hike on alcohol -which would "help"/impact far more people. The poorest low risk drinkers are facing nearly 500euro per year rise, drinks of 4 times that price should ideally see a good 2000euro rise IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would certainly be content if excise was increased instead of MUP. I would not be happy as I do not want MUP at all, but it is certainly a better alternative. But if MUP has to happen then I would prefer a combined VAT and excise hike. It would "help" more people, a wealthy alco drinking 100 bottles of whiskey will easily afford a 8-9 euro increase. If anybody is in favour of cost as a means of dissuading people then it should be done in a manner that effects people more fairly. Just like in some countries fines are based on a % of peoples income.

This "I'm alright Jack" attitude of many is disgusting, I want equal treatment even if I fare worse. I have said in other threads I would love to see alcohol made illegal (temporarily anyway), just like other recreational drugs, just to see the self righteous hypocritical anti-any-recreational-drug-but-mine have to suffer what others do for a change.

This almost 500 euro per year hike for low risk drinkers is a massive % of disposable income for many, if the same % chunk was taken from wealthy low risk drinkers it would never have been passed.

Imagine the freakout from the vintners if excise was increased!

A review of some of the numbers involved for the folks who want to north

A friend of mine is in a wheelchair after being crashed into by a drunk driver returning from a barbeque 2 years ago. That barbeque had multiple slabs of alcohol most likely bought cheaply and then given pout like confetti. I'll pass your "I don't give a sh1te" message on to him. I really hope no friend or family member of yours gets whammed by a drunk driver coming back from some home event where alcohol is the be all and end all of the proceedings.

I'm not saying mup would have made a difference, but the volume of alcohol at any type of home event is due to the phenomenal low cost of "slabs"

As for your aldi experience, I still say BS especially as you say you were there for just 2 minutes. And whilst some items have doubled - they doubled on the extreme discounted price and would have gone up substantially anyway.

feck all savings as predicted. A look at sainsbury's website will tell you that anyway.

Most people are not concerned about a few euro unless the saving is literally at their fingertips.

Classic example is the Emo fuel garage in Johnstown - literally 3 minutes off the M8 at junction4. 10c a litre cheaper for diesel, yet its never rammed with cars the way the Junction 8 Circle K is. but that 3 minute detour would save €5/€6 off a standard fill and so few bother.

I'm in Portadown a few times a year. I still won't be stopping off at the asda drive by

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not a lot of saving unless you buy thousands of quids worth. Otherwise what you'll save you'll spend in petrol and then some coming from most places.

Well i if was making light of what people post like you I'd call bs on your story too. But i ain't like you.

I dont dismiss people opinions as if there nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Speedline

If you're going that far, you may as well get a week's shopping too while you're there. You'll Ave even more. Its not just drink that's cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

An interesting thought experiment is: would MUP have made sense for tobacco? Only a small proportion of the extra price (VAT) going to the government, the rest going to retailers and producers of tobacco products. Purchasers of expensive cigars unaffected, consumers of shag or roll your own (?) tobacco most affected. People who consumed 'on sale' tobacco in 'coffee shops' unaffected.

So why does it make sense for alcohol...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Is there major discounting happening with cigs? If not, then I wouldn't think there would be any benefit. Tax is pretty steep on smokes and has been an effective means to make people quit

The rolling tobacco is ripe for hitting with massive tax hikes though as nearly 30% of smokers now use it.

Note, I haven't smoked in ages so I've no idea what price they are (smokes of tobacco) now or what level of tax is on them

In an earlier era I can imagine tesco lidl aldi selling cigarettes cheaper than elsewhere.

Were tesco aldi lidl wines rrp priced 5 - 7 euros massively discounted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

Mcgargles Double IPA has gone from €1.98 to €3.95 in Lidl, doubled in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't think the McGargles base price was 2 euro before mup. It was normally cheaper to get in tesco when it was on sale, and then the double was normally 3 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Back in the day people would buy their cigarettes in Dunnes/Quinnsworth etc as they were 5p cheaper, and advertised as such. Doesn't sound a lot but it was at a time when a packet of 20 was around £1.50 so it was a relevant saving.

I think there might actually be a minimum price for tobacco already - it was mooted around 12 years ago and there was debate about whether it would impinge on European law (see my 2010 link below). I don't know whether it actually became law or is still the law.

Minimum cigarette price infringes EU law (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

It was €1.98 since in lidl since I first started buying it.I saw it around €2.7 in Supervalue or Tesco (can't remember which one)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Trying to equate being against MUP with not caring about victims of drink driving is really utterly despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement

Most likely? Right. In other words you dont have a clue whether they were bought above or below MUP.

But regardless you plough on without foundation ... and in that furrow we could continue and say the message of MUP is that if someone is a victim of drink driving from someone coming home from the pub or club is... I dont give a damn.

Advertisement