Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

New York reporting that up to 65 percent of COVID-19 hospitalisations in the current wave are incidental findings.

That 60-70% figure is remarkably consistent - whether it's South Africa, London, Scotland, and now New York.

And it cannot be put down to coincidence, either.

Most of the ICU cases in Ireland, if not almost all, are Delta ICU admissions - with nothing to do with Omicron.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Is there away to tell which covid variant you have caught or is just assumed that it's Omicron?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

In fairness he didn't say what number of weeks it would last for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The Genrui antigen test kits do not seem to be much better than snake oil. and I have seen this "Covid doesn`t spread in schools" from a few now who have always opposed restrictions as if it they were saying otherwise and are now being proven correct.

The poster country originally for the anti lockdown brigade was Sweden Sweden insisted that there was no problem with schools and Covid, insisting that parent didn`t not keep schoolchildren at home. The even prosecuted families for doing so. All that was back then being cheered on by the anti-lockdown brigade, not by those that supported lockdown measures.

It's also worth noting that the massive surge in cases started around Christmas Day.

ICU admissions should be increasing over the past few days - if it were Delta, for example.

But that increase hasn't happened.

Instead, most ICU admissions remain Delta and haven't increased.

I hate to be positive - not COVID positive, of course - but these are the prevailing facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Ah c'mon. It's negativity from top to bottom. Surprised you haven't noticed. The doom-mongering has been mentioned before. Did you miss it?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

It is clear the difference that boosters make. Almost nothing in ICU, very little in severe cases and negligible in contracting the virus... compared to 2 jabbers.

Waning refers to existing antibodies in blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The only way to determine the strain is through genome sequencing (AFAIK) which Ireland aren't doing enough of currently. A PCR test can't tell which variant.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Unless Omicron has a very very different profile (i.e. taking weeks longer) then it's looking positive, now is about the time we'd expect to see bad news coming through if it was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Your antics are lost on me, friend.

We both know what you were at in the post I quoted. You were rightly called out on it. Accept it and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

Boosters certainly will of made a big difference with the older people especially with the Delta part of it. But i think those that only had just the 2 doses have stood up incredibly well against severe disease when you think that data is from May onwards which was basically when Delta started from.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Last January we had twice the hospital cases, the same is true for England, where nothing is closed, a sign that restrictions aren't needed perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Yep fingers crossed we’re in the endgame now. Ironically enough I think they are seeing how it plays out over the ‘next 2 weeks’ before starting to open up.

By the end of March this place will be like a ghost town!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They will wait a week or 2 past schools opening before doing anything more, we should start dropping everything at the end of January but probably won't, at a guess (and if numbers hold up) it'll be a reverse of 8pm and letting nightubs stay open till midnight, will be interesting if they let stadiums open fully before 6N starts and/or put a full reopening schedule in place.

From a practical perspective, wait till mid January then start getting everything open aggressively, stadiums and hospitality first, then drop recommended work from home, then certs, maybe have a couple of weeks between each phase, but no longer. Disband NPHET in Feb/March and start planning for future surges just in case but not as emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Blut2

So just to be clear, you're defending the government's position for most of 2021 - as the only government in the EU against antigen tests - that antigen tests are "snake oil" and shouldn't be used in Ireland? That they would have been of no benefit to the country? Why have they done a complete 180 on this since so?

The government repeatedly claimed covid doesn't spread in schools. It very clearly does. It doesn't matter what other people said, the point is the Irish government was either outright lying or was completely incompetent. Either/or, neither is a good look or our leaders.

I've no idea why you're ranting about Sweden in response to a post listing multiple times the Irish government was caught lying within the past few months.

Did I hear somewhere they are expecting cases to drop next week? Fat chance of that! Everybody who can't get them this week are going to book PCRs for next week, our cases will stay where they are but our hospital numbers will fall off a cliff

From an economic perspective open everything up in the one go tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I assume that all NPHET communications are recorded and that their online meetings are also recorded? Surely they must be subject to freedom of information requests?

It's not like its the Garda or department of defense where they may have sensitive information on criminal or international relations. Surely nothing can possibly be redacted from the NPHET communications or meetings?

It was called by many, very early on that they were very selective on the statistics that they used to reinforce the call for restrictions. Changing the death reporting from daily to weekly, was an obvious ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Nope. Just pointing out that for at least one brand of antigen test kits we know they are not much better than snake oil.

Also pointing out that along with a lot of posts here of things that have never been said by anyone, if some are running with the hare and hunting with the hounds then they can claim success regardless of the result. No ranting about Sweden. Just pointing out the facts that for a long time when it came to restrictions, those who were most opposed were citing Sweden on schools and school children as an example as to why they should not be part of any restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

This thing is done for Pen. It's all about how fast the government are willing to lift these useless restrictions now. I see no reason why the restrictions around pubs, restaurants, and events shouldn't be binned in the next couple of weeks. Masks and Certs will hang around like a bad penny for a couple of months but everything else should go.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Premium article in the Indo this morning with the header

If Nphet’s weak appetite for lockdown isn’t sure sign of a turning point, I don’t know what is

She's raises a good point actually and whilst NPHET and government clearly on the same page now re lockdowns, I'm not getting a sense current restrictions will not be removed quickly. NPHET still clutching at straws, all the finger wagging, childish dictates re personal decisions fell on deaf ears and clearly no amount of social distancing was going to stop Omicron in its track's.

Thankfully its proven not to be as severe as Delta, thankfully ICU numbers low and steady but I'm left wondering what's the next move, it would seem at this stage, Government and NPHET have run out of people to Blame.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Once the Current restrictions are lifted it's time to get rid of nphet as well. They serve no purpose anymore. Cases and hospital numbers have completely decoupled so let Nolan go take up his new position and stop wasting g everyone's time with anymore models. The rest should go back to their day jobs and start fixing the health service. A job they are well paid to do.

Agreed, the real question, perhaps is where do they go with decisions, clearly to late to fix the health service in the short term, I actually think they really don't know what to do next 🤔😏

They will still lean on the CMO for a while I'd presume. He's become somewhat of a crutch for this particular government.

I think the overall view is that infections will continue to rise rapidly and hospitalisations moderately for the next 2 weeks and peak there following London's trajectory. If there is a change to restrictions it likely wont happen on 29 january as the numbers wont be down as much. Then the 'another 2 weeks' line will be used to push the decision forwards to mid february. That looks like the first possible date for changes. Will hospitality be allowed to move to lets say 11pm? Not if it is up to Nphet and MM. Though perhaps restaurants under certain conditions..

Post edited by deholleboom on

Indeed the conditions re restaurants the big question, already the lobby groups out demanding clarification on MM comments re booster requirements albeit a little back tracking taking place. The cynic in me thinks there's no Coincidence in the release of updated Covid Certs to reflect booster status 🤔

here is the link to London. The R rate will indicate when infection numbers will start to go down, under 1. At the moment it is hovering just above it. It varies between areas of course hence the vertical line.

When this drops to under 1 infections will go (or have gone)down, possibly next week. Then rest of UK and Ireland approx.2 weeks from then.

Watch this space...

To add: patients admitted and in hospital numbers in London are going down already..good news!

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Advertisement

Another curious article about NPHET and its Gender make up, without wishing to cause offence to any ladies, Does it really matter what Gender this group is made up of, its Track record is the same.

I'd be more interested to know why experts in other fields, such as scientists, economists, mental health, Engineering (Filtration) not on it.

Advertisement