Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

dreading next couple of weeks trying to deal with several PS depts where most just went home to be fair they are not target driven like private sector and are not subject to same disciplines so they are about 10% open, dealt with planning, tax to mention a few

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

People who "just went home " are still working. What do you mean by "10% open "?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I know some, but they are not entirely to blame PS much was not prepared but it has shut down to much its 90% closed, some pre covid issue's taking months instead of days

Have tried to tranfer electric supply to an orther address normally 1 day has taken 2 months phone time 5-6 hours verus 30mins before

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Back to the office tomorrow, there'll be no one there but who cares its a change from the WFH which it tedious.

No organisation was prepared for Covid. Your supply issue does not indicate that an entire organisation is 'closed'. It indicates you have a problem with your supply transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm still firmly in the camp of dreading any return to the office ever... I will be fighting tooth and nail to stay permanent WFH. It's worked for the last 2 years, and will for the foreseeable, so I see no need to return once/if this ever ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You do realise that the public service is incredibly broad?

Civil service is grand to deal with. Semi states and County council are difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I don’t understand how an employer gets away with this?

If you are working on the building the employer has to provide you with appropriate PPE to carry out your work.

How can the employer expect you to get another monitor out of your OWN pocket, to increase output for themselves?

Are you sure about this and have you raised this with Hr?

• Advertisement

Though no-one is making cycling compulsory or mandatory, even for emergency periods, in the way that WFH has been made mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I had a chat with my team members at lunch about WFH. Every single one of us agreed without question that the greatest advantage to WFH is one thing - Less stress.

More sleep and less stress of rushing in the morning, less commute stress (i.e. none), less stressful meetings (better collaboration online), less distractions around getting work complete, relaxed lunchtimes with homemade food, more exercise, longer evenings to unwind.

A reduction in stress is always welcome.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Must be mad to heat an entire house for just 1 room. As I'd imagine the entire house wouldn't be heated if they were in the office? Room heaters are cheap as chips, and don't need to be on constantly. And wear layers, ffs. I lived by myself in my (then) own house, standard 3 bed semi-d. I rarely had the heating on because the tv and pc kept the room I was in heated. And that was the sittingroom, one of the bigger rooms. Anytime I got notions and brought the tv and pc to my room, I'd be melting within an hour. Sounds like people may have badly built homes...

There's another benefit to WFH, no longer fighting with other office people over it being too hot or too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yep it's great being in control of the heating!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Anyone managed to create a garden office that didn't cost €10+k? Looked at steeltech, costs about €11k for 8 by 12 foot with foundation.

Any recommendations for a shed & insulating, flooring etc it? Would the window be a problem for heat loss?

Thanks,

Pa

I haven't heard great things about Steel tech down through the years but that purely related to their sheds, no idea what their outdoor office options are like.

If cost is a factor you could go down the route of a flat pack shed and insulate the hell out of it, including putting in a better window and door than would normally be supplied. Would be cheaper but it might not be the way you want to go

having worked in an office with cold Mavis and warm Vince, constantly pushing the thermostat up and down as well as opening and closing the window, depending on whoever was in first, I do not miss that one moment, I have total control of the heating!

The summer cooling is another matter, but trivial.

Ah yeah but they'd have nothing to complain about otherwise.

If the government go ahead and make the €3.20 per day WFH allowance mandatory for people working remotely would that shut people up? Of course not, they'll find something else to complain about. Despite that I think they really should make it mandatory.

In the case of people who commute they're still saving money.

In the case of people who don't commute a few really small adjustments can make a big difference. Instead of having the heating on for an hour in the morning then **** off just wait til you're up before putting it on. It'll also mean the house will be warmer in the evenings and reduce that by a little bit.

I'd love to know how much electricity people think they're using on lighting. I need a light for 0-2 hours a day for about 3 months of the year. Even if you're in a windowless room and feeling extravagant using 100W for lighting and another 150W for laptop and monitor (which is very high) that's 40c per day or less.

As for joining a company that make you sign a lie when you start ain't great. I very much doubt they were doing absolutely everything by the book before, this is just another example of a company being ****. Get back on the jobhunt immediately and let everyone know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yeah…solid case there. Are these people working in the Arctic?

I'd love to know how much electricity people think they're using on lighting. I need a light for 0-2 hours a day for about 3 months of the year. Even if you're in a windowless room and feeling extravagant using 100W for lighting and another 150W for laptop and monitor (which is very high) that's 40c per day or less.

Not sure it's even possible to get 100w lights anymore.

I have 7w LED's everywhere except for 8 x 4w spots in the living room.

For my WFH setup, one 7w bulb which gets switched on once it starts getting dark but I often work funky hours so my usage could be a lot more than others. As for the running costs of a 7w bulb, 1.25 cents an hour I think. Its late and I don't trust my sums so happy for someone else to work it out

Obviously figures will be different depending on the individuals setup at home

Ah yeah, I was being generous in case people have a bunch of mood lights.

A 7W light will take 143 hours to use a unit of electricity. 22c per unit (but you get €200 credit on that tariff) seems to be on the expensive side from a quick google. Works out at 0.15c an hour so 1.2c per 8 hours on one of the higher per-unit tariffs around.

Next up, the bulb will run out quicker so instead of 6 years it'll be 3. So That's an extra bulb every 6 years that needs to be bought, around 1400 days of use. So that could be another half a cent a day.

Nope, Ireland. You've noticed that it's a little cold this week?

Don't forget the laptop, and maybe a couple of monitors for the privileged.

And the heating.

The lack of random cards landing on my desk and wanting money probably have covered all the above, for me the last 18 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Enjoyed this WSJ article (paywall) on what managers should do about the Great Resignation Wave.

Some take-aways:

• Two-thirds of employees prefer work-from-home arrangements.
    • "It’s become increasingly clear that hybrid and remote work isn’t just feasible, but is actually desirable. The enormous disruption Covid engendered means that if ever there were a moment to reinvent what your company or your team looks like, this is it now. Maybe this is the time to shift to an all-remote workforce, as many companies like Basecamp have done."
    • Worth HR developing a "developing a personalized retention strategy" for key-employees such as personalized hybrid/remote arrangements.
    • Get the hybrid/remote policy wrong? Well staff turnover is pricey—it costs an estimated one-half to two times an employee’s annual salary to replace them. Plus, it’s disruptive to client relationships and the morale of staffers left behind.

We are hiring at the moment and location being a factor has just totally gone out the window. It's made such a massive change in our place this pandemic.

No actually. I guess the card is more susceptible to the randomness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah I’ve decided I’m going to seek to wfh now in future. I think my employer will want me back in office soon but nope I’ll quit and look for something else if that’s the case. There’s no need for me to be spending 9 hours a week in the car.

Advertisement