Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Premium article in the Indo this morning with the header

If Nphet’s weak appetite for lockdown isn’t sure sign of a turning point, I don’t know what is

She's raises a good point actually and whilst NPHET and government clearly on the same page now re lockdowns, I'm not getting a sense current restrictions will not be removed quickly. NPHET still clutching at straws, all the finger wagging, childish dictates re personal decisions fell on deaf ears and clearly no amount of social distancing was going to stop Omicron in its track's.

Thankfully its proven not to be as severe as Delta, thankfully ICU numbers low and steady but I'm left wondering what's the next move, it would seem at this stage, Government and NPHET have run out of people to Blame.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,946 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Once the Current restrictions are lifted it's time to get rid of nphet as well. They serve no purpose anymore. Cases and hospital numbers have completely decoupled so let Nolan go take up his new position and stop wasting g everyone's time with anymore models. The rest should go back to their day jobs and start fixing the health service. A job they are well paid to do.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Agreed, the real question, perhaps is where do they go with decisions, clearly to late to fix the health service in the short term, I actually think they really don't know what to do next 🤔😏

They will still lean on the CMO for a while I'd presume. He's become somewhat of a crutch for this particular government.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I think the overall view is that infections will continue to rise rapidly and hospitalisations moderately for the next 2 weeks and peak there following London's trajectory. If there is a change to restrictions it likely wont happen on 29 january as the numbers wont be down as much. Then the 'another 2 weeks' line will be used to push the decision forwards to mid february. That looks like the first possible date for changes. Will hospitality be allowed to move to lets say 11pm? Not if it is up to Nphet and MM. Though perhaps restaurants under certain conditions..

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Advertisement

Indeed the conditions re restaurants the big question, already the lobby groups out demanding clarification on MM comments re booster requirements albeit a little back tracking taking place. The cynic in me thinks there's no Coincidence in the release of updated Covid Certs to reflect booster status 🤔

here is the link to London. The R rate will indicate when infection numbers will start to go down, under 1. At the moment it is hovering just above it. It varies between areas of course hence the vertical line.

When this drops to under 1 infections will go (or have gone)down, possibly next week. Then rest of UK and Ireland approx.2 weeks from then.

Watch this space...

To add: patients admitted and in hospital numbers in London are going down already..good news!

Post edited by deholleboom on

Another curious article about NPHET and its Gender make up, without wishing to cause offence to any ladies, Does it really matter what Gender this group is made up of, its Track record is the same.

I'd be more interested to know why experts in other fields, such as scientists, economists, mental health, Engineering (Filtration) not on it.

Maybe you and the other posters could move on by putting that person on ignore and NOT respond? Unless you actually enjoy the spat. Then you are at least part of the problem wouldnt you say? And maybe accept that there are posters who get a kick out of pushing your irritation button. Replying and trying to prove your righteousness wont stop them in any way and more likely keep them coming. It gets rather tiresome for those not involved..

I wouldnt be too worried about booster requirements for restaurants as they will simply ignore them. I think it is more important when the government set the new date to look at lifting restrictions after 29 january. They will try to push that as far as possible. 3 weeks?

• Advertisement

O, I agree , just wondering will it be thrown into a mix of new alleged bright ideas 😏

No matter what happens = « This shows that the vaccines are working. »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

You know the game is up when they start talking about gender politics rather the substance of what nphet have actually done.

They will also probably look to stagger it as well. Lift the 8pm closing time first. Then a few weeks later allow events back to full capacity and finally in March allow nightclubs to open again. It'll be slow and painful when there's no reason to just all of them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I agree to a degree but I've heard women say it with the belief that NPHET are not conscious of the affects lockdown has on children. I think you'd probably need stay at home parents (or parents that relied on school to be able to work) to be on NPHET as another career woman might make little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Early results on omicron have also been good for vaccines. Do you have any data to the contrary to post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It’s clear that the vaccines are still performing really well with respect to preventing severe cases and deaths but I tend to think they’re having less and less impact at preventing transmission/infection especially with this new variant.

The arrival of Omicron and the waning effect of the vaccines indicate that we’ll very soon reach a point where restrictions are pointless and all we can do is ensure that everyone who needs protection gets it. Existing vaccines and new antivirals will massively reduce risk.

Maybe I’m wrong but I think that measures like covid passes, social distancing and masks for discretionary locations and activities like pubs, matches and concerts is entirely futile from this point going forward. Omicron will outrun almost every measure we can impose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

They're not very effective for air travel now either.

All excellent points and whilst Vaccines were never intended to stop transmission, I've long argued that their protection waning is a real concern . I honestly never thought we'd see the numbers now being reported daily and I'm not confident we'll see a quick reduction but move on we must , how that happens is at present a mystery. I believe living with covid has already started as far as NPHET and government is concerned albeit they seem incapable of making a coherent decision on how the country moves forward (IMO) 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I’ve always thought that the government/NPHET view restrictions as being much easier to extend than reimpose. They seem to be terrified of dropping them entirely, perhaps they think that compliance will never return to previous levels if they need to reintroduce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Have you a similar report from a different source? I refuse to give the Daily Mail Online any of my valuable clicks.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I totally agree, yet just before Christmas, the majority were predicting lockdowns or harsher restrictions that would go on for months.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

That's seems to be the case, with R so high, the transmission reduction effects will likely be minimal at this point, luckily that coincides with the virus staying in the upper respiratory tract where it does less damage (I think a nasal vaccine would be the only thing to seriously dent how contagious someone is with Omicron), there still seems to be some effect (that may also be because people are asymptomatic and don't test but are still infected and can spread).

With offices mostly still WFH, typical contacts for office workers are probably less than half of what they usually are, will be interesting to see what the full return to workplaces brings and if people are comfortable going back if colleagues aren't vaccinated.

They were also worried about Delta staying at a low level but being a problem while Omicron peaks and troughs, wonder if that's still the case.

If it's tiresome for you, scroll on, or put everyone on ignore...see how this works?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

Look at those ICU figures. They've never once gotten above where they were in September, and are already declining.

I hate to say it but Boris Johnson has been proven completely right - again - by not locking down in December. England has had full normal life, full nightclubs, full stadiums and very few masks for that entire time and hasn't been remotely close to being overwhelmed. And has been as open as this since mid-July now...

It just shows how completely unneccessary our staying in lockdown until late October, and going back into lockdown, again, in November has been. And how pointless staying in it for January (and possibly longer) will be.

Our media should be screaming from the rooftops about this. Its such very clear real world proof that we don't need to be in lockdown. England has an older population, more at-risk minorities, and a lower vaccination rate than Ireland - yet is just fine fully open, while we need to be in lockdown - why?

• Advertisement

COVID vaccines/negative test for international travel will be around for a long time, when the mass testing centres are gone, unvaccinated will have to pay every time for a test (either before travel or to confirm infection).

Advertisement