Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to reclaim vat that was added from a uk supplier

Options
  • 08-01-2022 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Hi

purchased an item from espares.ie . Assumption was they were a Irish operation . Roll on 3 weeks and revenue needed to be paid as the item originated outside the eu.

emailing the company with no reply as of yet . Has anyone had success reclaiming back the vat from a no eu supplier and if so how did you get them to credit you .

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Post edited by Caranica on

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I can imagine if companies operate like this then their ability to trade outside of the uk as in this case would be very limited . It’s a code of ethics in business . I’ll keep this post updated but I would be confident that any business operating would not want negative impacts that would follow and thus return any monies owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

According to their site they charged Irish VAT. They've either messed up the TARIC codes or haven't made it clear that they've charged Irish VAT

VAT & Sales Tax

Product prices on the eSpares website are updated to reflect the delivery destination you have selected.

You can update your delivery destination by:

Clicking the (change) link in the International Options area at the top of the website; or

Selecting your delivery country on the basket page

The following table outlines the VAT applied to items by destination.

Country/RegionVAT appliedFrance20.0%Ireland23.0%

Or else they are scamming by pretending to pay Irish VAT but not bothering and making extra money.

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/espares.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Their website says they’re a UK company. They do say that they adjust the VAT to 23% for Ireland. No information on duty etc., so the information may be pre-Brexit and not reliable. Hopefully they have a fairly proper setup and this was only a customs glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have an Irish VAT registration. (IE9798962T).

They either didn't do the dockets for the packet right or the courier firm messed up. Get on to eSpares about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Thank you for the constructive comments . thanks to the above info I was in touch with them and they will refund the vat . So hopefully with will go through ok.

revenue seem to also have a mechanism for this I this on the citizens information website .

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

It's a simple issue of a UK company not filling in the paperwork properly.

It's not terribly difficult, but many of them seem to be unable to add a simple code to the labels that prove local vat has been paid.

In this case espares are entirely at fault

Advertisement