Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

So migrants would have to conform to a set of guidelines voted on by the those who live in Ireland?ha ha,what planet are you living on?

Err... while I appreciate your desire to sound "funny", the simple fact is that all legal migrants to Ireland already live by a set of guidelines, both to be eligible for entry and to remain here. This is simply extending a greater range of guidelines towards citizenship to ensure that we avoid most of the problems other countries have faced with regards to multiculturalism, and a failure to integrate populations.

Would there be guidelines on everything?where they can live,worship,how many children they can have,would people from all countries be subject to the conditions? from the UK,USA,EU countries as well as non EU countries.

There's little to no point in doing that since it would break international laws, and the overall theme of Irish culture... but then, I guess that's the point you've made. People arguing against any such restrictions tend to jump to extremes, rather than engage in a practical and logical discussion on the topic.

You've been given the opportunity to explore the topic of multiculturalism, naturalisation, and a referendum regarding multiculturalism.... and how do you react? yup.

Don't get me wrong... you're not any kind of outlier here. You actually match up really well with the majority of pro-multiculturalist posters on the thread.

Would we lock up those poles, latvians,asians,africans,english,scottish,welsh,germans if they did not integrate to the satisfaction of the integration police who would have to gather the evidence so that we could prosecute and presumably deport those who failed the integration rules.

Why lock up anyone? They're on limited visas usually with an expiry date attached (the need to renew yearly), and they can continue to renew their visas, while working as temporary workers/foreigners/expats here. My suggestion was in relation to those who wanted permanent residency and/or through citizenship. People still have a choice here.

George Orwell stuff only fit for the birds so good luck with it,in the meantime i will be urging lawmakers to strengthen our laws where racism or incitement to hate is concerned so that we can rid the streets of the cowardly scumbags who insult or injure people who make their homes in Ireland.

haha.. bear in mind that you tried to lead the narrative towards an Orwell scenario. You didn't wait for me to suggest any kind of environment which would be considered Orwellian. Just as I'm reasonably sure that you will project discrimination on to others, to justify your expectations for a more free and fair society aimed at particular groups, because that's what invariably happens in the West, with people influenced by the social sciences.

Equality is on the table. It really is (or at least it used to be)... but posters like yourself don't want equality. Instead, your chosen groups need to be protected, supported, and elevated to the point where their own behaviors can't be criticised.

I'll point out something truly funny. Here you are assuming some kind of self-imposed high moral ground.. and I'm being more reasonable than you are. I've only responded to what you wrote.. whereas you've decided to deal with assumptions about what I believe, based entirely on your own sentences.

Well done there. Great job.

Honestly, you'll find it difficult to find any hard definitions that have been implemented across Europe. Plenty of vague assertions of what it should be, but the various problems associated with multiculturalism make it difficult to support those same vague assertions.

Personally, I'd say that multiculturalism is the belief where those of non-native cultures have the right to move permanently to other countries and live their lives without any need to integrate or assimilate, retaining the right to hold on to their own distinctive culture. beliefs and value systems (especially when they run counter to the culture, beliefs and value systems of the host nation).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Okay so multiculturalism is a belief and nothing to do with actually experiencing a foreign culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It isn't American crap. It as alien to them as it is to us. Iran is not too far wrong in describing the US as the "Great Satan" given the US and it's institutions try to advance this stuff, but you'll find plenty of ordinary Americans find this ideology as repulsive as anyone else does. It is part of the reason the US is so divided these days. The US government does not represent Americans or their interests. It is hard to build unity around figureheads that are repellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Multiculturalism is a belief that any given culture in the territory which brought it forth lacks authenticity. This cultural authenticity must be supplied instead by foreign cultures - which themselves lack authenticity in their own territories by definition.

Basically multiculturalism is a sham to disguise ethnic enclaves created by mass migration. And ultimately the erosion of culture beyond consumption of product.

• Advertisement

Such rubbish.

Merely allows people to live the life they wish

Maybe all this discussion of multiculturalism is moot. If , for example, China, becomes the global hegemon, multiculturalism will be consigned to the dustbin of history. However we will be forced to produce raw materials for the mandate of heaven and inter-ethnic strife is bad for production

So just let any class of criminal or dysfunctional knob live the life they wish? Do you honestly support that? Some culture is absolutely toxic! So you want the Kinahans and their ilk carry on unmolested?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

@[Deleted User] makes a fair point, essentially that the definition of multiculturalism depends upon who you ask. For me the idea of multiculturalism, while it is a belief or set of beliefs, is independent of discussions about host nations, natives or immigration, as the term relates to culture, and not nationality or citizenship.

The meaning given in the Standard Encyclopaedia of Philosophy is the one I’d be most familiar with for example -

The idea of multiculturalism in contemporary political discourse and in political philosophy reflects a debate about how to understand and respond to the challenges associated with cultural diversity based on ethnic, national, and religious differences. The term “multicultural” is often used as a descriptive term to characterize the fact of diversity in a society, but in what follows, the focus is on multiculturalism as a normative ideal in the context of Western liberal democratic societies. While the term has come to encompass a variety of normative claims and goals, it is fair to say that proponents of multiculturalism find common ground in rejecting the ideal of the “melting pot” in which members of minority groups are expected to assimilate into the dominant culture. Instead, proponents of multiculturalism endorse an ideal in which members of minority groups can maintain their distinctive collective identities and practices. In the case of immigrants, proponents emphasize that multiculturalism is compatible with, not opposed to, the integration of immigrants into society; multiculturalism policies provide fairer terms of integration for immigrants.

A good example of the idea of different cultures would be the differences between the type of education which is available in this country - most people favour the more traditional model of education (because of the type of education they had themselves), whereas a minority of people prefer the more liberal type of education available in ET schools (because of the type of education they had themselves).

The idea of the ET model was originally intended as an alternative to the Catholic education model (the predominant model of education in Ireland), but it’s become more synonymous simply with more liberal values, to the point where ET schools find themselves in situations where the majority of the student population are Catholic, because while their parents are Catholic, they also prefer the values of a more liberal form of education for their children, which conflicts with the values of parents who want a more traditional education for their children, just not in a school which promotes a religious ethos which is in conflict with their own, leading to examples of conflicting ideals, like this -

Or this -

Or this -

Or indeed, this -

It’s not so much predicated upon experiencing, or indeed absence of experience of foreign cultures, but rather it is anyones perspective of ideas which are foreign to them.

In Ireland different cultures aren’t nearly as polemic as they are in other countries is all, but there are pockets of it here and there where there are examples of bigotry and prejudice based upon beliefs about other people which manifests itself in unfair treatment of other people, and sometimes, in extreme circumstances - unlawful discrimination.

It may appear from the examples I’ve given above that I’m being unfair to Educate Together schools philosophy, but I’m not, I’m using those examples to make the point that multiculturalism isn’t simply based upon the idea of “natives vs immigrants”, it’s based upon culture, which itself is based upon the transmission of ideas -

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

There is a lot in that post and I couldn’t read it all. I mean no offence by that.

If multiculturalism doesn’t have a definitive definition then maybe it doesn’t exist.

• Advertisement

You there are people who think who wringe their hands and beat their chests about human rights and that people from other “cultures” have the right to move here as they please and don’t seem to understand that a person coming to work/refugee family fleeing violence and a criminal are not equals.

and before any has a panic attack I’m not talking about bubbly pop becasue I don’t know bubblypop.

I’m talking about people I have met and a couple them that I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s precisely because the phenomenon of multiculturalism exists, that it’s observers define it differently, according to their own values and beliefs and so on.

unfortunately our laws are not enforced or selectively enforced. the soft racism of low expectations

True. No one enforces the law in Ireland.

That's why the courts and prisons are empty

we have very few prison spaces in IReland relative to the amount of criminal acts committed

the amount of suspended sentences and probation acts handed out to repeat offenders is a scandal actually worthy of a tribunal of enquiry with teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Soft Racism? What is that?

EDIT: Actually never mind. I come to the thread out if curiosity when I saw it on the list on the first page. I only singed in last night to ask a question about the Halo TV series.

Do we? Why do you think it should be linked to crimes committed?

Not all crimes or criminals should be punished by a prison sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes of course not all crimes deserve a prison sentence, some deserve the capital punishment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Mental illness is socially constructed and that's why it's not recognised in Asian countries.

suggest a lot of what we deem "mental illness" in the West have a big element of social construct to them, but things like Schizophrenia, psychotic(as in loss of touch with reality) depression and bipolar disease really do exist, in every society/strata of society, and imho are real illnesses. However, Asian societies would see stuff such as drug induced psychosis or alcoholism as criminal or social problems and deal with accordingly, and i think there is something to be said about this

No you said it.

I was commenting on what you said here, not what other people who are not here have said.

Well do you believe that all crimes deserve a custodial sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

I do believe that every criminal offence should be punished by a mandatory prison sentence. Not for justice, not for deterrence, but simply to isolate the criminal element from the society, either temporary or permanent.

So, a 55 year old woman who steals some underwear from pennys in a moment of madness or a young 18 year old guy who gets too drunk and has a row/breaks something, totally out of character for both and first offences, you really believe they should be sent to prison?

Yes.

And your notion of a “moment of madness” shows you understand very little of mental health.

That 55 year old woman obviously needs help and isn’t getting it from family. A prison - which doesn’t need to be Mountjoy - can be a pleasant property somewhere where the woman gets some mental health care.

That 18 year old who gets drink needs to be thought a lesson. Out of character is no excuse. Lock him up - again didn’t need to be mountjoy - in a place we’re he gets someone to show him to stop being a little **** and get him out cleaning the streets for a while. See how he likes it.

and in both those cases the woman and the boy pay for the accommodation, meals, etc. not you or me.

• Advertisement

😂😂Harsh.

Fair enough so. I don't believe you actually believe that, but you can post whatever you want.

all people who don't pay their tv licence should be locked up to I suppose?

And you are right, I'm no expert in mental health, but I wouldn't suggest for a minute that someone who shoplifts once has a mental illness that requires hospitalization!

Advertisement