Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

He organised a tour last year with no protocols or distancing or any kind of crowd restrictions. Eventually a tournament was cancelled when people started testing positive. Including Djokovic.

He thinks he knows better than everyone else. Good for him. Doesn't mean everyone else has to bend over for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Selenophile

I must say I'm a bit disappointed withe the journalist. It takes the time of Djokovic's tweet (17/12) to make an impression that event with postal service happened on that day, while according to other sources it happened on 16/12 - the day of the test or test results, which wasn't clear. Also, later in the article, it is said that:

It is not clear whether he knew he had Covid when the pictures were taken.

So, maybe the guy didn't know about his infection until after these events.

Also, Voracova said:

“Apparently the Australian Tennis Association has misled us, which is annoying. I wanted to focus on tennis, not visas, quarantine. It’s really weird that I spent a week here, played a match … and then they came for me,” she said.

I know he is very, very unpopular, but all the accusations are misplaced in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

If I needed a covid pass to travel and knew that many people with Covid are asymptomatic then I would take a covid test to get that pass. Its the reason I have taken many antigen tests yet somehow remain negative despite my supposed increased vulnerability to infection compared to the vaccinated. To be fair I haven't had a cold, flu or any other type of illness in the last 15 years either so maybe it's just my immune system being a boss? But please continue to tell me and other people like me how I'm in danger vs a fat lad who's been vaccinated.

The person who needs to travel. It is a requirement to enter many countries, (e.g. Ireland) especially if you are not vaccinated. In that case you pay for it, it is not free. In Ireland, if you need to travel, you can purchase (I think it is 60 euro) a PCR test so you can travel abroad.

Doesn't PCR need to be within 48 hours of travel. Didn't Djokovic spend Christmas at home? So it's unlikely it was for travelling.

Another scenario is he never had covid and committed fraud to enter Oz. Maybe he should fly home before he gets charged in that case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

He's a multi-millionaire famous athlete and could be taking private tests routinely.

Or, as per the link, having been at a basketball match where people tested positive could have spurred him to take a test 'just in case' sans symptoms.

Could be any number of innocent explanations. I'd be inclined to wait for his explanation before condemnation.

If you are a close contact, you need to self isolate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Even if recent positive counted, he only has that positive on the 16th and this was after the deadline for submitting proof for an exemption. So Australia just have to go why did you file for an exemption before you had a positive test

No....if I get Covid in Ireland then I am entitled to a covid pass saying that I have immunity just like a vaccinated person (despite so much evidence showing I would have superior immunity) regardless of whether I'm going to be flying or not. Australia has different rules I guess but getting covid and showing proof of recovery is important for getting the pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Whether the virus was dangerous to Djokovic or not is not the issue. It is well known that it can be dangerous to sections of society, and he had no clue who was going to be attending any event who may be at risk. The fact that people keep thinking about themselves and not those who may be at risk shows how poorly human society has developed.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why on earth if you had a pcr test would you go round the next day as if you didnt?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It isn't clear if he even had symptoms when he took a test. There's no proof that he willingly endangered anyone. The story is clickbait without the full facts being known. You're prepared to assume he was in the wrong.

that was a self-imposed deadline by Tennis Australia so yes may appear that it was extended.

hardly the first time that a deadline was extended, especially by the same small body itself that set it, the likes of which Tennis Australia is.

only 26 people applied - it's not the tax year deadline date.

we don't know how many applied after the 10th of December

and yeah, obviously they might extend it for the number 1 ranked player in tennis

Personally, I think he got a dodgy doctor to say he had covid rather than him actually going out and potentially infecting children whilst hugging them. But then that's fraud for trying to enter Oz. Could he be looking at a sentence? If I was him, I would be getting out of Oz pronto before he's charged with something.

'Another scenario is he never had covid and committed fraud to enter Oz. Maybe he should fly home before he gets charged in that case?'

I don't believe it but hey yeah good scenario, hopefully he's reading boards.ie so he knows to go on the lam to dodge a fraud charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I dunno, farce turning to fiction at this stage , my stance is quite clear, both he and Australian Tennis association have been acting the maggot when it comes to the rules. A wink and Nod, an accommodation so to speak and it's BS from start to finish.

The latest nonsense has gone from an alleged serious medical condition, to suddenly getting covid , but of course having caught covid, he felt it appropriate to attend an event with young Tennis players the very next day😳 how thoughtful of this normally selfish P***K

He's at the very back, the smug B***X

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Thats possible I guess. I wouldn't really care if he had or not as he has prior immunity from having had covid back in 2020 and vaccines passes are an abberation/unethical particularly when a varient like Omicrom is going around which completely evades the vaccine when it comes to infection. A vaccinated person is just as likely to transmit it as an u vaccinated person as we can see with out 26,000 cases a day (probably twice or even three times as many actual infections as being reported every day) in this country where over 95% of the adult population has been vaccinated. So good on him if he's ignoring unjust and illogical laws. But yeah, he wouldn't want to get caught although I don't really see how he would get caught unless his doctor feels like losing his medical license if that's what actually happened.

It's been explained numerous times already but can you really not work out why someone would test regularly in a world where covid passes are required and infection grants you a covid pass, and where up to 80% of cases are asymptomatic? It's not at all difficult to figure out if you can put yourself in someone else's position although that's a skill people seem to be losing rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

The event was on the 17th , indoors , maskless and with children. Confirmed on that date as taking place that day by the Serbian tennis federation. The accusations don't appear to be misplaced.

I presume the oz govt. could ask for proof of infection? Also could do an antibody test to see if he has had a recent infection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Well she was off work for 2 weeks before she contacted so its unlikely it came from work...

That's scary. Do you reckon the vaccines don't work?

Awful behaviour by Djokovic. I imagine he'll get booed everywhere he goes now.

Why would anyone assume he deliberately endangered anyone unless they had an agenda? You have an agenda, you're against anyone who is unvaccinated. Do you even watch tennis normally?

It isn't likely that he committed fraud or deliberately exposed people to danger, but don't worry he'll feel the full force of the law if anyone can prove anything.

I watch the grand slam events. Been to Roland Garros and Wimbledon but wouldn't be a huge fan. If he went for a covid test because he was a close contact. He shouldn't be in an enclosed area hugging children pending results.

Is it an agenda to expect adults to perform basic precautions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I find it hard to believe that a known anti-vaxxer would be taking routine tests.

As has already been said to you, you don't know what happened. The full facts aren't known. You're assuming Djockovic was in the wrong without knowing he was.

There's no reason to do that except by choice, and if that isn't your bias against the unvaccinated coming into play what is it?

He's a multi-millionaire looking to prove he has antibodies so its perfectly plausible. He can afford to take a test whenever he wants and would gain personally from a positive result.

Of course I don't what happened but since I'm not some kind of disapproving 'Pfizer nationalist' I'm not going to curse and say he's guilty unless someone can first show that he's definitely done something wrong.

It seems to me that he has a lot of integrity and I like him because I'm a tennis fan.

I'm holding full judgment until Djokovic makes a statement. But it isn't looking great on his part. When it's the leading story on the guardian, you have to suspect they have editorial guidelines. Let's not forget, this is a mess of Djokovic's own making for not playing by the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

Completely agree with this, i don't believe he contracted covid at all, the timing of the positive test is just too much of a co-incidence, and given the comments of the Serbian president in recent days i doubt there would have been a shortage of Serbian doctors willing to supply a cert to that effect.

Regardless of his reputation he is a known anti-vaxxer for years, long before covid. Those guys don't normally go near a doctor unless it's really bad.

It looks dodge but newspapers can spin anything to get their story, even reatively respectable broadsheets. I suppose we'll find out anyway.

Yeah but I mean in this case he had self-serving reasons to take umpteen tests. To show he had 'natural' antibodies.

They are reporting that the date Djokovic lawyers said he tested positive for covid was 1 day before this event. I suppose Djokovic could have not looked at his phone/E-mail for the whole day......

you don't seem to be very familiar with the full story - maybe read up on it

there were several false narratives put out as the story evolved as detailed ->

he made an error with his visa

he was lying

he didn't have sufficient proof of recent covid

it then transpired that Australia has granted entry into Australia to other players using the same exemption and same recent covid reason but stopped Djokovic

when this came out Australia went to retrospectively "clean up and turf out" these people for the purposes of "retrospective" consistency

you might do well to watch this short video and read the article even tho it has evolved again since then

Either way, he's going to be the most hated man in tennis for the next couple of years. I imagine it will be hard to win any grand slams with the crowd booing you/constantly on your back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If he was going to fake a positive test, why would he have faked it for Dec 16, after Dec 10 the deadline?

you obviously haven't been following Tennis much for the last 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I actually do not know but the family all deliberately all got jabbed before Christmas... i have not got boost yet...

He'll get worse abuse at any of the slams than Kyrgios ever got.

I doubt it because the average tennis fan is a tennis fan, not a politics bore. And not every politics bore is a determined vaccine-absolutist anyway though obviously many are.

If he played in the AO very soon I'd imagine there'd be some colourful booing at his opening match. But there's no reason to assume normal tennis fans will be holding years-long bitter grudges.

What have vaccinations got to do with politic-bores? Maybe science-bores?

I think most people will find his behaviour abhorrent.

not really correct there at all either Kyrgios plays very little tennis really and goes out in the early rounds because he's not motivated to apply himself but he's actually a big draw with crowds and only gets a bad crowd reaction if he acts the maggot.

he's normally well received but soon gone as said

the fact is that Djokovic has won many of his slams in situation of crowd adversity, like if was playing Federer at Wimbledon but that never stopped him winning - some say that he actually thrives on it

That's the second event. The first one, with the postal service, which I was referring to, and which was referred in the article with Djokovic's tweet was on 16th. Tweet was on 17th.

• Advertisement

AFAIK, they celebrate Christmas later, after the New Year, so it is unrelated.

The guardian said the event took place on 17th December. Is the guardian wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

All this hatred towards Djokovic gives me a good laugh. It clearly challenges the narrative peddled for the last year that unvaccinated are somehow inferior or miscreants even.

"No way could an antivaxer hold a higher standard of physical, psychological or be of a higher social tier than mine! Get him!"

That's the thing: The Guardian didn't explicitly say the first event (with the National Postal Service) occured on 17th, but led you to believe so by quoting Djokovic's tweet from 17th. Many other sources say it was 16th. That's the thing I didn't like - I would expect such manipulation from some less respectable publication, not from the Guardian.

The second event, the one with kids and some tennis association occurred on 17th.

I know this may seem as being too pendantic, but considering that other sources gave more precise information, one must wonder why the Guardian didn't do the same ? It wouldn't help Djokovic much, but this looks like the journalist tried to make him look a bit worst if that was possible. At least, that's my impression.

Anyway, we will most probably see him deported on Monday, and the focus of media will move onto TA and miscommunication to the players. This year's AO will be remembered because of this controversy.

Djokovic will remain unpopular as he was. He can't be any less popular than he is now, unless he finds himself in the center of some nasty, criminal, sickening scandal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looks like he got a fake failed test just get into the tournament.

I completely agree with his choice of not getting vaccinated, but he has behaved like a complete bellend (as he has for years). He behaved like a bellend last year when he was looking for special treatment for quarantine. He has behaved ridiculously for this in that he was clearly not wanted in the country.

Tennis players are close to actors for levels of narcissism. They live in very close nit bubbles, where they are above and beyond the centre of universe. Female tennis players usually end up marrying their coaches because their universe has a population of about 10 people.

As I said previously, just keep the trophy, don't give it back to them, devalue the least prestigious major by not attending, and never attend any gathering events after he retires. It will hurt them more than him. He can win his 21st at Wimbledon or the US Open.

But of course he has to behave ridiculously. Turning up with fake tests, incorrect documents and not leaving the country when he was first rejected. He's coming across as desperate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement