Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭deezell

You probably could get away with turning down the manual TRVs fairly low, then check your gas or oil usage over a month to see if there are significant financial savings. I wouldn't expect huge savings as heat from downstairs will travel up, and heat from adjacent rooms will travel through party walls so there will always be a certain amount of heat consumption in the rooms. Keeping the doors closed tightly is essential, new builds all have self closers to meet the new regs.

As to the state of your sanity, you should ask a shrink, but if you're on this forum, you're probably past saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've a tado extension. Will I be able to just replace what's there with it or do I need to do some rewiring?

Current control connections in photos below. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 carlito57

cheers deezell - I have 3 wired wall stats so the Tado option sounds like the way to go. Horstmann pass by...Yeats was on to something! :-)

Yes, assuming your existing timer is for HW and CH, the two wires from the terminals marked NO, normally open, go to the same two terminals on the V3 ext kit, but you will have to link the Live to the COM terminals of each relay on the ext kit, as the relays are volt free. If you have the older V2 extension kit, when it is configured for two zones, the live is internally connected to the Common terminal for both relays, so its almost a straight swap.

You will need to determine which channel on your current timer is used for HW, as these are not specifically assigned.

On the other hand, if this existing timer is for two CH zones, the extension kit can only connect one thermostat wirelessly, as the other terminal is for HW timing only. You don't say what if any wall thermostats you have, but if your system is two CH zones rather than one CH and one HW, you will need at least one Tado stat to be wired for one zone, the other wireless via the ext kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I found out that you can wire a Nest Heatlink entirely backwards (+ve mains to the switched output, boiler supply on the input) and it won't actually explode / become unusable when you realise that the old switch was backwards and have to flip it over.

House on an offshore island, all the cheap install deals end up with a refusal to cover there and a "Nest Pro" would have been a few hundred so I ignored/deliberately misinterpreted the "must be installed by a professional" and decided my cornflakes box engineering degree would cover it :pac: - all working now and I can finally control the heat and monitor the temperature/humidity remotely.

Probably not the entirely best option; but for a small house with an exceptionally simple setup - quite new Grant Vortex system boiler heating the rads and water tank coil with no motorised valves, no tank stat etc; existing familiarity with Nest from the user side; and being able to buy the kit off the shelf in late December it was far and way the path of least resistance.

Anyone know if there's decent temperature/humidity sensors for remote readout only? Don't want or need them to add control to the heating yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks for the reply.

How do I link the live to the com on the ext kit.

Currently don't have a wall stat but have one with the tado kit.

There are 2 zones. HW and CH

With a short piece of wire. If you have the new v3 extension kit, its terminals look like this.

You loop a short piece of mains brown wire from L to ch COM and then to hw COM. The wires from terminals 4 and 6 of your old timer go to the two NO terminals, you'll have determine which is HW and CH on the old timer, but if the first timer button from the left is used for CH timing, then that's terminal 4 in the wiring, CH will be 6.

Yes, mains electricity and volt free mechanical relay contacts don't mind which way you wire between two switch terminals. There are some circumstances, such as when using a switch with both NO and NC used, that the Live should enter on Com.

A Tado thermostat or other brands will provide temperature/humidity readings and graphs without actually wiring it in. A WiFi or smart hub/Bluetooth enabled remote temperature/humidity sensor only will cost less with lots of options on Amazon, but it depends on your house setup, is your WiFi always on, have you a smart hub device, etc. There are 4g and 5g options also, but battery life will be the biggest issue in an unoccupied location, so either a mains powered WiFi or lo power wireless to a hub device is best.

This is a typical Tado temperature/humidity graph

This SONOFF sensor is cheap if you already have a ZigBee hub.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BFW697F/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_3H9F7B9Q4CTPMS58VZTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Evening all,

I have UFH. I need to replace 13 stats. I want stats that connect to the phone. They can be wired- like the current wired very dumb unprogramable stats.

I had Tado at another property with TRVs on rads, class. However here I would need 13 wall stats and I believe the wired stats are the guts of 100e each, even refurbed, so that just isn’t economical with my budget.

Is there any recommendations on smart wired wall stats, circa 30-50euro. Tado has lots of bells and whistles, with tracking and weather etc, but ultimately all I need is a 7 day programmable stat which can be controlled by the phone.

😎

13 stats sounds unmanageable, unless you're running a small hotel. Would you consider grouping some of the UFH zones, but having a single stat operate more than one UFH zone valve. Group some rooms, open areas, etc. Say two groups of beds, all bathrooms, living, dining and other day rooms. This will reduce the complexity of your system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I have been looking at that.

The 4 bedrooms can have varying degrees of heat in them due to the windows and orientation. So I figured linking them was maybe doing them a disservice and generating a new problem.

i could probably get to 9-10. Of course I could get to 2, downstairs and upstairs, but seems a shame to lose them when they are there?

i have seen stats on Amazon or Alibaba for 40-50, which are smart and not dissimilar to whet a TADO wired stat would do, but their quality would be a concern.

😎

There is the other issue of UFH capable thermostats, which should have an element of predictive or second order control. UFH heating has a slow response rate, and will continue to heat for a longer time after flow is cut. Ordinary mechanical stats will often have high cycling as a result, overshoot and undershoot of the target room temperature. There are certain electronic stats optimised for UFH, some will have a floor temperature sensor as well as the ambient room temperature sensor. Heat miser have a few types with optional sensors, locally programed or ones with optional hub and app control. Pricey enough.

Smart stats have learning algorithms which track the heat up cycle and modulated flow as target temperature approaches in order to keep a steady state temperature in the room. Tado are suitable for UFH control even without a floor sensor as their 'smarts' will calculate the on off cycles to reach and hold ambient temperature steady.

You may find other cheaper app controlled devices will operate purely as on/off devices, never quite getting the fine control of target temperature without significant over and undershoot.

An inexpensive remote solution would be to install SonOff relays with ambient temperature sensors. These would give remote programmable control of each UFH zone for only €20 per zone plus the Internet hub. The only disadvantage would be lack of a local controller, it would be entirely app operated. You can get these for a fiver on Aliexpress, customs and vat probably not included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I've bought a house which has a Hortsmann H37XL, a three zone heating system on an oil boiler where one of the zones is the hot water.

I was looking into options to make this smart and I found the Secure H3747. It seems up be the same brand as the Hortsmann or related some how. Anyway the wiring is all the same, it's up to 4 zones and I can get a WiFi adapter and an app , use the existing thermostats.

The two drawbacks I can see are:

1. It's a very new system, I can't find a review anywhere and less than 100 people have the app.

2. I don't think I'll be able to get TRV's for the radiators.

I had looked into tado for the option of the TRV's, however I'd only get two zoned heating. I think people have connected a tado to the H37XL and got an extension and got tado to do work at the system end you can get three zones but a direct replacement for the H37XL seems less hassle.

Has anybody any experience with a Secure H3747?

I had a quick read of the bumpf and a look at this video.

the kit consists of 4 ch. receiver and a single main stat/programmer. You will need an extra wireless stat or sensor to control the second CH zone. HW is just timer control as per the H37XL. It can accommodate existing wired thermostats on the 2nd (and 3rd) CH zones, but temperature setting of these will not be available on the app or on the main stat/programmer. For remote temperature setting of CH2 you will need an additional temperature sensor wirelessly paired to the unit. This will give app and main stat setting of the zone, but no wall controls are built into this sensor for manual control. For app access away from the home you will also need the WiFi Internet link unit

The addition of these units will add another €150 to the €200 price of the main Secure kit. From looking at the user manual, you can set schedules for up to 6 time slots per day. In all other respects it appears to be a basic programmable stat with app access, but there's no mention of any advanced or smart features such as geolocation, learning, modulated burning, graphs and data, TRV integration etc.

If you already have wired wall stats, a far smarter and simpler solution is to substitute them with a wired smart stat such as Tado or Netatmo. There is no need to remove the existing Horstmann, just set the CH zones to always on, retaining the HW timing.

Yesterday, I replaced the two mechanical wall stats in a new build with two wired Tado, leaving the three channel controller untouched. The whole job took an hour. The kit cost €212 during black Friday, starter kit plus extra wall stat, nothing else needed.

If you want to replace the controller, the Drayton wiser kit three is a simple enough install, the two fully equipped wall stats are wireless, and the Internet WiFi hub is integral to the drayton 3 channel controller, not an optional extra. I would consider both these brands superior to the Secure, which is at best a single wireless stat upgrade on one zone, with the additional zones and Internet access requiring additional kit, and I'm not seeing any option for a manual controlled second zone stat, just a temperature sensor. With Tado or Drayton, you get two fully functioning wall stats, plus all the extra smart features.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Streed

I've a similar setup with 2 zone ch and 1 zone hw. I have 2 wired Danfoss RMT-230 thermostats, one downstairs and one upstairs to control the temperature on each floor plus a Danfoss electronic programmable time controller.

Do I just need to purchase 2 Tado wired stats (starter kit + an add-on wired stat) to replace the Danfoss RMT-230 and leave the programmable time controller where it is?

Curry's have a good price for the starter kit https://www.currys.ie/ieen/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-heating/tado-wireless-smart-thermostat-starter-kit-v3-10217342-pdt.html

Yes, got it in one. Set Danfoss controller CH zones to always on, keep using HW zone timer. Great price of the wired start kit, grab it. Extra wired stat is £85 on Amazon.uk, free postage, about €105 with vat difference and exchange. Pity Currys.ie haven't the extra stat with a pro rata reduction.

Thanks for confirming and the Amazon tip.

Is it worth getting the hot water controller - the rectangle box in this package? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08LP1LS5T/ref=emc_b_5_mob_to

Don't see it being sold on it's own, it only seems to be part of this package.

That bix is called the extension kit, It gives you Tado app control of HW timing, and (optional) wireless connection of ONE of your wired stats. Bit more wiring involved as you would likely remove you own electronic timer, wire in CH1 and HW to the two relays, then you'd need to wire the CH2 SL directly to live, so that it sends live to the CH2 wired Tado. A little trickier than just subbing in the stats, but you'll have a 3 channel timer controller to flog on Donedeal.

I wouldn't be bothered, I still have my old 2 zone timer working the HW timing, CH is on constant. I've never seen the need to adjust HW timing, its set for a morning burst, an afternoon burst then off in the evening to give the solid fuel stove a go in Winter, and the yet to be installed solar panels a heat sink in summer. (Some day...)

Appreciate the advice. Thanks for taking the time to reply

Thanks for taking the time to respond, a lot of good info.

The other system I was looking at was the Honeywell evohome, what do you think of that? I'd have the option to add TRV's like the tado but could control hot water (if we forgot to turn off when away or something).

For the heating zones, I take it all these systems will work with existing zonal valves, as they just send a signal to the valve to open?

If I leave the H37XL installed, and go for the tado, do I need to wire in the tado to the H37XL or how does that work?

• Advertisement

You mention "existing thermostats" wich I presume are two wired wall stats, one upstairs and one down. In this case the only wiring is to exchange these stats for the Tado stats, leave the Horstmann with the two CH zones always on, supplying live to the two Tados which will take over timing and temperature control of the zones. It's the easiest solution, leave HW timing to the Horstmann, I can't imagine any reason for remotely altering the timing of the HW, and forgetting to turn it off on hols is not a strong enough case for the extra wiring required to replace the Horstmann with the ext. kit. It will cost more of you have to hire a sparks to do it, and he might be perturbed by replacing a three zone timer with the two zone ext kit, and having to figure how the remaining wired Tado is powered. If your existing stats are simple mechanical types, they're a two wire swap for the tado, a DIY job for anyone who can trip the power off and hold a screwdriver.

I'm beginning to get my head around it now, the tado thermostats give the signal back to the H37XL to say if they are at temperature.

So I just need to get a tado wired starter kit and a tado wired extension, replace existing stats and then if I want add TRVs for greater control.

Thanks for your patience. I'm sure it's all in this thread already, but it's just so big and only started looking into the area in the past week.

Final question!

Much difference between tado and netatmo in your opinion? I've never heard of the latter so will look them up now.

Thanks again, this was a great help!

Its even simpler than that, the path for a control signal (live mains) in a valved zoned system is Live into the timer, individual zoned timed lived out to each stat, and this combined timed/temperature switched live to the zone valve. Each zone valve in turn has a relay to call the boiler, all zone valve boiler lives are combined.

When you set the CH zone to always on, the live to the stat is no longer timed, it's permanent, the smart stat now does all the switching based on time/temperature schedules, sending this live to the Zone valve. Nothing is sent back to the timer controller, it's now only supplying a timed live to the HW zone valve, optionally via a manual cylinder thermostat.

Incidentally, the Honeywell Evo system you mentioned (expensive btw) is one of a few which have an electronic thermostat for the HW cylinder, so you can meddle with the HW timing and temperature on the app, sure to make you popular when the hot water is boiling one day, tepid the next, or just cold because you've messed with the times. Set it. Leave it. Forget it.

Netatmo is one of the few smarter systems where the stat has an actual relay and can be wired or wireless to its receiver. Its a ch only system. There's no relay for HW zones, but its ideal for stat substitution upgrades like the Tado, or upgrades where the system has only timers but no stats. Not as fully featured as the Tado, but well regarded

Post edited by deezell on

That's again. I haven't moved into the house yet. Hopefully getting keys this week, I took a photo of the heating system when I was there. However in the 3d tour that's available online i can't find any stars anywhere so I'll contact the current owner through estate agent Monday. I assumed that they would be using zones, it's a new heating system and the house has had an extension and a refurb in the past few years so I'd hope they'd have stats. If they are electronic does that change the plan much?

On a positive note I did notice the radiators in the bedrooms have manual TRV's so at least they'll be handy to upgrade!

Wait till your in before buying. It could be a timed only system, so the best option for installing zone stats might be wireless.

Yeah I'm too eager! I'll see what the set up is and I might check again with you before I do anything! Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I am looking to do a small smart heating upgrade to my parents house. There is a Firebird C26 26Kw oil condensing boiler, installed outside. Inside the house, there is a switch, which turns the system on/off and a timer (unused). Inside the house, you cannot control the oil boiler setting (the setting on the boiler outside is set to the minimum). 

Most of the time, the heating is turned on for an hour or so a few times a day and the house cycles from being too hot with the heating on and a little cold with the heating off. 

I would like to to install a smart thermostat where the activation of the heating could be controlled through an app. It would also be nice if a temperature sensor could be installed in the kitchen or sitting room, which could turn off the heating system once a set temperature is reached. No need for individual room controls. 

I have been looking at either a Nest Thermostat E or a Tado Wired Smart Thermostat, but was wondering if there are some better options I might be missing?

Post edited by embraer170 on

You operate the boiler I assume by throwing the switch over the timer on and off, and as the timer is set to always on, the boiler burns until you turn it off or until the jacket temperature inside the boiler is reached, which is set by the white insert thermostat inside the boiler, which is as you state, set to the minimum. I'd expect that the timer is wired inside the boiler to the switched live terminal, SL, while the main switch provides power directly to the boiler circuits. There's a distinction between firing the boiler on and off by just turning its power on and off, as against leaving the boiler power on, but controlling the firing by turning the Timer on and off which powers the SL connection to the boiler. The latter is the correct method of operation, as it means the boiler is always powered even when not firing, or when the timed period finishes, and can properly complete the firing cycle by running the fan when the oil burning is turned off, and also allows the pump to continue circulation for a period. Cutting the power in the middle of a burn will not purge the flue gases properly, so all firing should be done by applying power to the SL lnput, while the boiler is left powered on but in standby.

I just wanted to get that out of the way so that I could advise you how to correctly connect a smart stat to your system. It is as easy as running a wired thermostat from the living room to where the old timer is, or if this presents problems getting the wire pair from the stat to there, an easier solution is to use a wireless stat with a receiver relay to supply the SL to the boiler. The receiver relay can replace the Flash timer, and the stat can be wall or stand mounted in the living room. For your setup, I'd recommend the Hive, Drayton Wiser, Netatmo, Tado or Nest as the easiest option. The Hive or Drayton single zone would be an easy install, and probably the best value. The Tado wireless kit costs a bit more than the wired. All of these stats are battery operated, (except Nest, it's powered by a USB mains adapter), while the receiver's (aka hubs, extension kits, heatlinks. etc) are powered from the mains currently supplying the Flash timer, (again, except the Nest E heatlink, which uses a pair of AA batteries).

You don't mention HW, and I notice a manual switch for a back boiler pump, but I won't comment on dual source systems as all you're looking for is a reliable means of replication of the timer switch with a smart stat and app control.

You can get the Netatmo installed free if you switch to Energia, the Hive if you dual fuel switch to Bord Gais, and Electric Ireland will bang in the Nest 3rd Gen stat for €130 ( plus a free Nest mini) if you choose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

@deezell: thank you, that is a massively helpful reply.

You are right that the system is currently operated by throwing the switch over the timer on and off. That is definitely something I will change immediately.

I don't believe the boiler can be set to only produce hot water (at least I have never found a setting anywhere). The manual switch is for a back boiler behind a fireplace, but I don't think it has relevance to this discussion. There is also an immersion upstairs (on a separate timer) set to run for 2 or so hours a day but I can't see an obvious way to integrate it into this scheme.

Would you say that a Nest would be much a more difficult install than a Hive? Is replacing the flash timer with one of these a feasible DIY job? I had a look into the wiring maps for the Nest for example, but not quite sure what I would expect opening up the flash timer.

We are currently with Electric Ireland, but will take a look into the possibility of switching to Energia and going about it that way.

• Advertisement

Live comes in at 1 on the top. SL out at 4 on the bottom, 2 and 3 are linked Neutrals. With the Nest E you just connect L and SL to the Com and NO terminals of the heatlink. No need for neutral as it runs on batteries.

Advertisement