Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is Rampage on tonight? Think I remember seeing them promote it on Dynamite but with Battle of the Belts tomorrow, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Got to write about wrestling today instead of GAA which was a nice change of pace

https://scoreline.ie/lapsed-wrestling-fan-here-is-why-you-should-watch-aew/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Got to write about wrestling today instead of GAA which was a nice change of pace

https://scoreline.ie/lapsed-wrestling-fan-here-is-why-you-should-watch-aew/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd say Jade winning signals that they're going for a similar approach with the TBS title as they did with Miro and the TNT one. Defending it basically every week, with lots of reasonably quick powerful squashes. Build it up nicely, and then have a face take it... maybe Tay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

You would think so. There won't be any long wrestling clinics anyway.

Yep, usual time. They're announcing a change to tomorrow's card too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They lost about 100,000 or roughly 10% of viewers during the opening title match, bit of a surprise there

Jade v Ruby gained viewers significantly. In fairness to Jade she will get eyes on her just because she has such a distinct look. Ruby obviously has an unusual and interesting look too in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I love 2.0, they're fantastic. Calling them a throwback to shouty promos doesn't do them justice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Mixed bag episode for me. Hangman's win was great and they had a solid match with a couple of ropey moments at the start I think. They told a good story, as pointed out, Danielson using the previous Dark Order moves against Page was a nice story beat and showing the impact of the Buckshot as a real killing blow was a great move.

MJF/Punk was fun. Nice to see them making some of WWE's nonsense the but of the joke - they only proved their point with yet another round of releases. I wonder about Shawn Dean - he has a backstage role from what I understand but never seems to be more than a jobber and/or Dark performer. But playing on the "results really matter" side of the company, MJF being 0-1 is quite amusing. Are we going to see Punk & Wardlow v Spears and MJF in a tag match as a part of this build I wonder?

Speaking of, Wardlow is really getting over with the "powerbomb symphonies" and he's bound to absolutely demolish Spears any day now :)

Jade and Ruby was a poor match technically - I think everyone agrees. Ruby seems to be really lacking in confidence and Jade in experience. I'd give them some credit for calling an audible and making that Jaded finisher from the second rope instead of trying to work it from the top and really messing it and hurting someone. Looking forward to Thunder Rosa and Mercedes Martinez. The subsequent backstage thing with Britt and Riho was a bit silly, but no harm in it I suppose, it ties stories together and sets up the next thing. Does anyone think Britt's dropping the belt?

The Malachai Black stuff just isn't working for me, the match was ok, I thought we might've had Julia turn on the night which might have given it a bit of spice. The Lucah Bros walking out and then walking past each other in the dark - wtf lads? Piss poor. I'd have played it as Julia trying to stop the beat down and Black spiriting her away.

I've got no problems with JE having the belts at all, I think they're well deserved. but I don't think Lucha Bros have done a lot with them. I involuntarily shouted out "Oh my gods!" when I saw Fenix's arm get injured, seems like it's just dislocated rather than broken. It looked awful. I think JB took a lot more of one of those piledrivers on his head than he was meant to too. All that said, an enjoyable match injury not with standing and I'm curious where it goes and what happens with Christian and JB.

I'm happy to take it slow with Black. It would be fantastic if he had an Ivan Drago type moment when he needs it most, with a gesture that "switches" everyone that's been infected.

I was almost expecting a moment like that the other night, with him triggering something, and Julia tearing off the patch to reveal a 'snakebite' round her eye, with contact lens in.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oh I like they are going to use an interim title insteading of stripping or calling off a title match.

Lol Andrade wants to buy Allin off Sting to be his assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭ThePott

Not a fan of the interim stuff personally. Think it's kinda dumb, not a major fan of it in UFC either though tbh. I think it also makes it a bit jarring as having it be an interim fight gives it a degree of professionalism and logic but that's thrown out the window when Dustin Rhodes gets the shout for no reason.

Assuming Cody is only going to be out for like a week, an interim title seems dumb too. I guess they had to do something with the name of the show being Battle of the Belts though.

Also feel bad for Jake Atlas but he had a great showing outside of it.

So Sammy/Cody to take place down the road? Any indication of how long Cody will be out?

Saw Jake's knee buckle and Cole covered it well enough. Could tell the leg/ankle lock was as loose as possible but enough to make it look like a valid submission. And Adam announcing the beatdown to give Best Friends a heads up to come out.

Ruby pulling double duty on Wednesday night, having the title match and this match.

Battle of the belts card is a bit **** especially with Dustin getting added now to make it worse. Is the show only an hour?

Think it's only an hour yeah. Not really sure what the point of it is, and the card is weak. But since it's on I'll watch it anyway.

I see it starts the same time as Impact Hard to Kill.

• Advertisement

Cole and Atlas was great and I am expecting a twist with Cole and reDRagon I really like the use of the interim title and nice way to add in men of the year by calling out favoritism and Andrade made me laugh with the Darby stuff. 2.0 and Garcia against Eddie and P&P was great fun. Eddie leading a new LAX would be nice.

Glad to see some love for MOTY. Ethan Page is one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

As a card tonight looks only ok (it's basically a Rampage card) but I'd be pissed if I bought tickets to it so hopefully they put in something good for the fans before or after.

Rampage was good this week then. I'm half thinking Cole is the next proper challenger for Hangman. You can tie that into Hangman and the Young Bucks too and have them face off against Cole and ReDRagon. Hangman Vs Cole would be an excellent match for Revolution, and with potential tag, trios or him facing Fish and O Reilly in singles matches, you've a a good 6 week build that you can run easily.

They're really underusing Page. It's mad... his feud with Darby Allin was brilliant stuff! Some of the Dan Lambert stuff is fun, but it feels a shame to have Ethan Page hanging back when he should be front and centre.

Yeah I don't think Page needs MOTY and Lambert necessarily but it's good launching pad. Thought he should of beat Sammy for the TNT title but that plays in to the whole feud with Cody as well. I'm sure there are plans for him.

Starks Vs Sydal feels like a dark elevation match.

Britt Baker will probably do her usual gas out 3 minutes into the match with Riho.

Could not care less about Dustin Vs Sammy.

AEW plus price going up for these quarterly "special events".

It's effectively going up because of Rampage in fairness. It's still great value.

Cody has Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah the BOTB's card is pretty tragic overall.

Especially for something with a title like Battle of the Belts. Seen a lot of people on Reddit regretting buying tickets and feeling a bit mislead.

Be nice if they pull out a few surprises but a 1 hour show with some pretty subpar matches on it is a real letdown.

Advertisement