Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Or it would leave to more lads diving and feigning injury. This constant changing of the game needs to stop, leave it alone. Hurling is a constantly evolving game but one thing will never change: players, managers and match officials will make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

This story/speculation has come to an end….https://waterford-news.ie/2021/12/22/mcguinness-not-part-of-cahills-setup-for-2022/

it was a one off meeting only…….what would he have brought to the table…..winning mentality/ultra negative tactics/ 🤮 hurling….????

Felt the ballygunner lad made a meal of it,when i watched it live tbh and the 2 reds for loughmore were harsh as fcuk......it wasnt a dirty game by any means,the 2 reds were out of character with the match

That being said,i cant see anyone lay a glove on ballyhale this year,and its theres to lose really

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Happy belated Christmas to everyone here

Looking forward to the start of the season and let's hope we can push on and win some silverware. A successful league campaign would be to give consistent performances and introduce a few new players. On paper in 1B it looks like it's between ourselves,Tipp, Kilkenny and Dublin to get the top 2 spots. With the new calender not much turn around from the league to the championship. Last round of League games taking place 20th March with the semi finals (26th/27th March) and finals (2nd/3rd April). Championships then starting Easter weekend (17th April)

From talking to a few people most think Kilmallock will be too physical for Ballygunner. As said already Ballyhale will be hard to stop in the All Ireland series. With the Munster Champions having the 'easy' semi final against the Ulster Champions Slaughtneil you could say its a golden chance to get to Croke Park but club hurling is funny and Slaughtneil will be no pushovers and have nothing to lose

Munster Championship fixtures

Sun 17th April- Round 1- Tipperary (H)

Sat 23rd April- Round 2- Limerick (A)

Sun 8th May- Round 3- Cork (H)

Sun 22nd May- Round 5- Clare (A)

Post edited by PTH2009 on

st rynaghs had balkyhale on the ‘rack’ but couldn’t hold on……a team that gets a score in the dying seconds of injury time to steal a draw definitely shows some vulnerability……they can definitely be beaten…. the same was said about na pearsaigh ( apologies for attempt at spelling) in 2018 there was nobody going to beat them and look what transpired….!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

The time to beat Ballyhale was in the earlier rounds of Leinster, lads were drinking a lot since the county final with TJs stag party in Cheltenham and then his wedding in Adare.

The preparations of some players for MLR & St. Rynaghs left the management team fairly unhappy I am told,

I honestly can’t see any of the teams left beating them. Maybe I am totally wrong.

Corner back Darren Mullen has the pace and skill to nulify Dessie Hutchinson if that is to be the decider.

All 3 of Kilmallock, Slaughtneil & St. Thomas have the physicality for Ballyhale, outscoring them on the scoreboard is a different story.

I

For Ballygunner the weather on the day in 2 weeks could be the decider, If the PUC pitch is in good condition (god knows with this climate) it could be a godsend for Ballygunners style

Never really cherished that De La Salle All Ireland Senior club final appearance in 2008/09 but on the day it was embarrassing to an extent but in a way that was a top top Portumna  side. The less said about 2010/11 the better, jesus christ how did DLS **** it away in the All Ireland Semi finals against Clarinbridge ???. Remember the short Doc about that game and its true what John Mullane siad 'a moment like that is something youd bring to your grave' 

Ardmore winning the Junior Hurling final in 2017/18 was a great moment for Waterford hurling and by god it happened in pure Waterford circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

very good interview with Liam Cahill from a couple of months back.

No bullshit or excuses out if this guy. Was questioned about injuries, round robin format and Limericks dominance, but his only focus is Waterford and getting the best out of the players.

I for one am over the moon we have this guy at the helm in Waterford for the next couple of years. A top manager.

Celebrations, staggs, wedding etc…..utter bullshit excuse to explain their ‘poor/below standard’ were they still hungover before both games or something…..utter tripe that someone is peddling you…

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Don't be silly man...plenty evidence freely available on social meeja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

Pairc ui chaoimh will be in unbelievable condition, like a July surface. I think ballygunner will love it there and as a result get a solid victory

I wouldn't be surprised if St.Thomas take ballyhale in the semi

the result of these games will all depend on the amount of ‘partying’ the players have done over Christmas and new year…….so a thrall through the Facebook/instagram/twitter/snap chat accounts of the key players will reveal all😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Add in that some of those who attended the stag picked up Covid so they could have had an outbreak to deal with aswel.

For what its worth I don't think Ballyhale are unbeatable but have the highest ceiling of those left,if they reach their high standards could take a performance of the decade from 1 of the other 3 teams to stop them.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Theyre far from unbeatable sure Bennettsbridge gave them a good hiding in the KK co championship only for them to come back and win it out afterwards.

i think the hammering they gave the Laois crowd might do them more harm than good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

In Kilkenny you can lose every group game and still win the championship, Ballyhale in a group game or knock out game are 2 very different obstacles. They've lost plenty of Kilkenny group games in the last 3-4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone else get the Waterford: Game of My Life" book for Christmas?

I'm about half way through it and its a very enjoyable read. Perfect light relief to the world around us right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭decies

Game of my life book very good . What’s the story with club deise folks ?? Last year you could sign up end of November!! Nothing on website nobody answering social media messages anything ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Just finished reading it yesterday myself, not a bad read and brought back some good memories. Felt it was a little short however and could have thrown in a few games that didn’t go our way to get an insight into what went wrong etc. overall though enjoyed the read.

Happy new year and let's hope we finally get over the line in 2022 or even get a bit of silverware

Footballers forced to postpone

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Happy new year folks.

Our year. Up the Deise

• Advertisement

Hoping for a Ballygunner win on Sunday in the Munster Final but this Kilmallock challenge could be something Ballygunner have not come up against for a while. Weather could have a big bearing on the game. Win on Sunday is the first step on the road to Croke Park, an AI semi final meeting with Ulster's Slaughtneil awaits for the Munster winners and on paper BG/Kilmallock will be massive favourites which will suite Slaughtneil down to the ground

Any news from the Waterford camps, any challenge games played ?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Beat Kerry last weekend in the gold coast , mostly young players getting a chance to make the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Best of Luck to Ballygunner this weekend - the old mantra of "one game at a time" was never so relevant. Kilmallock provide a massive challenge, but that is what you expect in a Munster Final.

If, and this is a big if, The Gunners are successful on Sunday - Slaughtneil will pose a different but equally serious challenge (ask anyone involved with Mount Sion how things can so easily go wrong)

If they eventually reach the final they will face either St. Thomas or Ballyhale and either side will pose massive opposition - but it is an All Ireland Final so again what would you expect - a handy challenge game. One thing I am sure is that if they do get there, Ballygunner's mindset will be right and they will be confident, this team with its combination of youth and experience is full of "winners".

Ballyhale on paper have a top class forward division, but they have a lot of players with miles on the clock and injuries and Covid can quickly wreak havoc on any team's plans. The last time the Gunners and Shamrocks met was in Thurles and there was nothing between the sides with the loss of Eddie Hayden through injury at half time proving a key factor for the Gunners. I do also believe that the Gunners are a vastly improved side since that day. With no disrespect to any of the other sides left in the competition, I for one would love to see a rematch of these two teams on the surface at Croke Park, I think it would be a cracker.

But before anyone even thinks of that there are several games to be played and won, so looking forward to Sunday. I only hope that the weather conditions are better for the sake of both sides, no body wants to be playing in conditions like the last day. More so I hope that both panels can avoid the dreaded potential for a Covid outbreak. It would be disastrous, especially for a club team with so many family members involved to have even a couple of guys be deemed as close contacts having to restrict movements, never mind contracting the bloody thing. That would be no way for a team to loose a final so best of luck again to both sides in that regard.

Going back on one of your points you also have to ask De La Salle about playing Ulster teams. It took extra time back in 2009 to beat Cushendall but one game at a time for Ballygunner

A few Junior and Intermediate teams from Waterford were also beaten by Ulster opposition in the past. Club is a different ball game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

https://www.the42.ie/kerry-tipperary-munster-hurling-cup-report-5649353-Jan2022/

Of course they won’t beat John Kiely’s all-conquering team – whatever shape the Shannonsiders’ team takes – but it will give new Kerry manager Stephen Molumphy a second game to get more acquainted with his new players. For the Waterford man, it is classic bonus territory.

fair play to him for starting big

Yeah great start no matter what competition it's in

Looking forward to next Friday and seeing our squad in the Clare game. Hopefully Ballygunner win tomorrow and won't be back in the intercounty camp til the All Ireland club series finishes, further giving more players the chance to impress

just more strength in depth , never did kk any harm, they still won more leagues than they lost in their pomp despoiute being routinely being short 3 or 4 starters

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Good luck to Ballygunner tomorrow

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/OfficialCamogie/status/147989829897051750

also commiserations to gaultier, would be great to see an east waterford double, but hopefully this drives on the remaining o'sullivan/mahonys to make it up to the family

Advertisement