Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have been doing it for 5 years now, it's brilliant. I agree you don't get to shop bargains so much, but I always have a list done and just work down through it - making it cheaper I think as I have far less impulse buying. At the start of the pandemic, the slots all booked up for weeks, which meant I ended up having to go in and do my shop for a month or two....., annoyed me a bit because I had been doing it online for almost 4 years at that stage.They have changed how they release slots now though, only do it a week at a time, which is handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

More utter nonsense from you. The same family member who told you we were locking down I'd say is it ? Remember those posts in between Christmas and New year where you were claiming all sorts ??

I've posted here before throughout the pandemic anout the friends and family I have in the emergency services (none of it fabricated), 2 of my closest friends are Dublin City centre based Gardai and nobody is assigned to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’d olive blogs!!! She’s infiltrated boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Yes but with many people afraid to leave their homes break in’s are down so it frees up the guard’s to do this important duty of taking lads pints off them at 8 o’clock on a Saturday evening.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

984 in hospital today, likely usual lack of discharges, 133 admissions and 38 discharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭prunudo

I know the signs are good but it be nice to keep it under a 1,000. Just from a hysterical reporting point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Posting in the middle of the night, probably just home from a house party, under the influence enough that it's seems funny to take the piss out of the vulnerable who are isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

So he is insinuating that 984 people are in hospital because of Covid. We know this is not correct though? Like he himself even admitted it the other day with his strange incidental definition.

Like others I've muttered quite a bit about NHPET models but these ones seem to have got a lot right, bar ICU of course, at well under 50% of optimistic and 20% of pessimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭User1998

Honestly I reckon they are not a troll. Just a brainwashed person like many others out there. It will take years for these people to recover and live a normal life again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,945 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is a really good overview of how effective vaccines are at stopping people ending up in critical care

• Registered Users Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

A lockdown for February and March, potentially April would set us up very nicely for the summer.

It's a counter-message to the "it's just a cold" narrative, even if that is true for the overwhelming majority affected by Omicron. The public health aim here is to head off any letting down of their guard by the public, although the 26K+++ daily cases should keep people focused. That 984 still need to be cared for under COVID protocols regardless of how they got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

It'd be hard for it to be a 'fulltime' Job when realistically overstaying would occur in a 3 to 4 hour window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I would think also that while our PCR testing system is overwhelmed and positive test % remains so high it is practically impossible to give an accurate figure for the number of positive cases in the community and determine the rate of increase or decrease.

If we don't have accurate numbers for that we can't determine the effective R value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

What a load of crap tweet!!! I currently have covid and thankfully am well on the mend. But if god forbid I went out and slipped and fell and broke something I'd be classed as a covid admission!!! This whole thing is a farce!!!! Load of nonsense! It's this type of nonsense that has older people afraid. Why can't they just use the word x amount in hospital from covid not with covid!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭bloopy

Will be hitting one million cases in the next couple of days. Nothing is going to stop hysterical reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

interesting graph- my attention is drawn to the age profiles, it glaringly obvious that vaccination is working really well for older people, great protection. But looking at teenagers the cases are low regardless of vaccination and it doesn’t cover the kids who became eligible yesterday (5-11)

if vaccination/boosters are working for older age groups I can’t see the urgency to vaccinate 5-11 yr olds unless they have health issues.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Nice for you. I will show you my publications if you show me yours.

Given that you refer to grade D evidence, as if it were grade A, you don’t have the slightest knowledge of how to assess the methodology of a trial (internal validity), you think that you can make statements without having to back them up (an observation and theory are not the same thing), and you probably don’t know how to assess the trials to determine to whom do these findings apply (I could go on), I am not too worried what you think!

Go on, explain the pros and cons for doing observational trial studies for Covid at why they are the only feasible option at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Ah I know, it's just a very misleading tweet.

Like the sentences independently are true but they lead you to believe that none of the 984 in hospital have mild covid, which we know is false thanks to himself the other day.

• No Covid stories in the top then stories on RTE News this morning for the 1st time in as long as I can remember.

Maybe the meeejjaa are finally a dog letting go of the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Don't worry, when hospitals tip over 1000 tomorrow we'll know all about it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I heard this morning some of my neighbours, a couple contracted the virus earlier this week despite being very careful . One is 80 and the other 85. It was quite encouraging to hear that they both only had sore throats and a few aches and pains that are now subsiding.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah look...I still haven't listened to the Rogan interview or any Rogan interview for that matter. I may do so later. My only point is that nobody should be silenced or gagged. Social media do enough damage without deciding the boundaries of debate. The doctors in question could be talking absolute rubbish but let them do it as per their rights to free speech and let others correct them.

I only have the 6/7 Saorview channels so the whole Trump thing passed me by. I had little interest regardless. But I thought it was very wrong when Trump was taken off Twitter (and I don't use Twitter or Facebook). I cant even remember why he was taken off Twitter but I will always defend free speech no matter how much nonsense or misinformation people want to spread. Let them spread it and let other people expose their idiocy. I love Boards but I know it's full of misinformation, spoof, nonsense etc but I have never ever put someone on my 'Ignore List' - I could never do it. Boards also provides excellent debate and fact corrections.

I am also one of those people that question and doubt things especially when vested interests are making massive fortunes. I am fascinated by history too. It always worries me when debate is controlled. Will be be burning Rogan/Doctor books next? I questioned how Haughey could afford boats, islands and Charvet shirts. I questioned how Bertie had no bank account and won his money on race horses. Would/Should they have been gagged? If poor P Flynn was silenced, we would have missed that brilliant Late Late interview! I have no time for Gerry Adams but it was crazy when he was banned from TV and Radio for 6 years. Insane - it just delayed peace. Anyway I have gone off topic.

I am always nervous of people who dont have an open mind and who particularly are unquestioning. It is a terrible trait to be unquestioning.

I guess I am trying to understand the new policy - anyone that promotes vaccine doubts is to be taken off social media? Is that it?

It's Day 3 of Omicron for me - the verbal diarrhoea stage? 😂

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

From what I am seeing the booster is very important, even for young people. I know some young people with just two shots that got a bad dose with symptoms persisting beyond two weeks.

Will definitely be over 1,000 tomorrow. And you'll have some of the usual heads wailing about schools and demanding a lockdown. Then when hospital numbers drop back down again next week, they'll just ignore that and keep claiming that COVID is out of control.

The value of a model when you use good inputs and don't change anything. At the time the models were made, we knew quite a bit about infectiousness, so the models have lander pretty well there.

Virulence was less clear at the time. There was some indication that things would be really good, but I don't think anyone was confident enough to bank on it. So all of NPHETs models are pessimistic in that regard.

It turns out that Omicron is exactly as mild as we had hoped. Which means NPHETs models will fall short, but in the best way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Da homeless reports on the news are back for the first time in 2 years.

Sure sign this thing is coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I am relatively young and don’t have the booster and it’s didn’t affect me whatsoever. For every young person who gets a dose of it with a temperature etc, there’s thousands of others who it doesn’t affect at all.

Not anti vax at all, I’ve two doses got but if I can avoid getting the booster I will. Unless in coerced into by the gov which is likely.