Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I never said hospitalisation. And you are the one who said the shoplifting was a moment of madness. If you are talking about mental health then what is the madness?

And to say that I or anyone else doesn’t mean what we say or post, is just mind boggling. I don’t know if arrogance is the word to describe it but it has made your posts here not worth reading.

Moment of madness is a saying, surely you have heard of it?

I'm not sure where you're aggression is coming from towards me, but this is all way off-topic anyhow

There is no aggression. Are you hearing shouting or a commotion? Well, if so that isn’t me. Might be your neighbours or your imagination.

I simply said said that your arrogance in saying I don’t mean what I posted here is mind boggling. Maybe arrogance isn’t the right word. I mean your head is up your bum hole - that kind of thing.

However there is no emotion - either negative or positive - from me. I was just stating the fact.

This isn’t a topic that would move me in such a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Thank you,i think we understand each other.

I welcome a multicultural society and always look forward to frequenting some of the many businesses owned and run by the many people who have chosen to live in ireland.

That's a rather bizarre example of a multicultural society.. ie. visiting foreign owned/run businesses.

Out of curiosity, as others (myself included) gave a definition of what multiculturalism is, would you do the same? What is a multicultural society to you, and how does it operate within a country? Where do foreign groups stand on integration or assimilation, or would you believe that both are unneeded in the society you desire.

Lastly, after such an explanation, how would you see the negatives of a multicultural society (as seen throughout Europe over the last three decades) be countered?

• Advertisement

It is you who are coming across as bizarre,when i lived in another country i ever saw myself as foreign,if you look at the makeup o most "developed" countries you will see that they are made up of people from many countries.

I was never part of a foreign group when i lived outside ireland and i have no idea how" foreign groups stand on integration or assimilation" and i am at a loss to understand why you would ask such a stupid question.

Many businesses in ireland are owned by shareholders who never even visited ireland and many companies that started out as irish make most of their profits abroad.

Oh and by the way i never suggested that my visiting restaurants owned by people not born in ireland was an example of a multicultural society.

You chose to make that assumption.

I will be visiting my favourite breakfast spot in the morning and i am looking forward to some lighthearted banter with the mostly irish clientele and the non- irish owner and his family and reflect on the fact that i could not get any kind of breakfast on a sunday morning until their arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Having a breakfast on a Sunday morning in a foreign owned business is your only response to what is positive about multiculturalism . You obviously never lived outside developed countries ha ha .

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Good posts. I'm more of a kebab man myself and there is nothing like visiting my fav spots for a kebab. It's difficult to engage with some people on here because they have so many presuppositions in their posts that most people disagree with so there is no point in even engaging in the discussion. For example you had to respond to a weird question there about foreign groups stance on assimilation and these kinds of questions aimed at you are strange and usually seen on alt right forums and such. Credit to you for having the patience lol.

It been a long time since I had a kebab in Ireland but back in the 90s whenever I was in such a take away they were Irish owned and staffed.

Is an Irish man making and selling kebabs multiculturalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

The whole problem with mass immigration is that we are importing people into the West that dont really like us or respect our values. They are coming here to improve THEIR quality of life.... on an individual level I cant really blame them, if I lived in a slum in Pakistan I'd want to move to the West.

However at the same why should Westerners be happy about OUR quality of life being reduced because people want to move here? On any metric you can imagine our quality of life is objectively made worse by mass immigration. Ie less available housing, pressure on hospitals and schools, more traffic congestion, wages going down, more terrorism and increased taxes.

It's not like there is any real benefit to multiculturalism? You read the comments of the multicultural fans and the main benefit seems to be "different foods"....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yeah, how they "feel" about it, seems to trump all the realities of it and always will. No matter what state the West gets into because of this, their views won't change. One of the regular defenders here, literally said that there'll never be a point where they admit that there's problems with multiculturalism, yet for some odd reason people still engage with them, even knowing how fruitless it will be.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

'However at the same why should Westerners be happy about OUR quality of life being reduced because people want to move here? On any metric you can imagine our quality of life is objectively made worse by mass immigration. Ie less available housing, pressure on hospitals and schools, more traffic congestion, wages going down, more terrorism and increased taxes.'

If you believe that peoples in ireland are having their quality of life reduced, then you need to get out of Ireland for a while. We have (for most of us) an extremely high quality of life

Ireland listed fairly highly on standard of living lists.

You have a situation in dublin where the average local kid has absolutely no chance of buying a house. Does flooding dublin with non europeans help that problem or make it worse?

Life in Europe is better than most of the world. However it would be better still if we never had non Western immigration.... that's not being racist, it's just objective fact....

The problem goes way beyond Dublin now days sadly, I couldn't even find a single house to rent in the place I grew up in rural Ireland recently, and that was after a spell of struggling to get accommodation in Mayo. The housing situation gets worse by the day, yet people want to be keep making the problem worse, with no care for those who are affected by it. And these are the types who love to remind us of their "compassion" and "empathy".

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah lets have the old honour killings, the FGM, the segregation of girls and women, the grooming and raping of vulnerable young girls.

Ah yes as always you raise the old chestnut about laws and how laws will protect us.

Remind us again how that worked out for thousands of girls in Rotherham, Bradford, Newcastle, Rochdale, Oxford, etc, etc, etc.

That is what you get when you allow certain people live the life they wish and you have people who refuse to challenge them lest they be seen as racist.

Hell you have ones, who you would probably agree with, arguing about the harm of the narrative about "muslim grooming gangs" even though over 90% of the people involved are from a muslim background.

FFS if people refuse to see their is a problem you are already on the road to ruin.

The laws did not protect the workers in Charlie Hebdo, the gig goers in the Bataclan theatre or Manchester, the commuters in London, Brussels or Madrid, the people out for a walk in Nice, the priest saying mass in France, nor the teacher who got his head hacked off.

I am not allowed discuss …

Yeah.... the scary thing is that immigration is a taboo subject and politicians and media just dont touch it. I think Brexit and Trump are the start of a backlash against Liberal democracies that quite frankly ignore the electorate.

It is you who are coming across as bizarre,when i lived in another country i ever saw myself as foreign,if you look at the makeup o most "developed" countries you will see that they are made up of people from many countries.

I'll assume that you meant never rather than ever. So you never saw yourself as foreign when you lived in another country, which is an impressive ability, as I've never heard anyone being capable of that before, although since you're limiting all of this to developed nations, we're narrowing the field quite a bit.

Where did you live abroad? Australia? I'm guessing it was an English speaking country? (another assumption being that you're a native English speaker.. a difference in language tends to strongly reinforce the impression of being foreign, even when you can speak it reasonably well)

I was never part of a foreign group when i lived outside ireland and i have no idea how" foreign groups stand on integration or assimilation" and i am at a loss to understand why you would ask such a stupid question.

Wow. Simply. Wow.

Now, admittedly I did make a mistake by saying "Where do foreign groups stand on integration or assimilation", when I should have said where do you stand on them, but the second part of the sentence should have carried that same suggestion of a question.

So I appreciate that you might have made a mistake in what you wrote... but rather than own up to the mistake, you've decided to deflect. Again, true to form with the pro-multiculturalists, along with the need to make an insulting remark.

Oh and by the way i never suggested that my visiting restaurants owned by people not born in ireland was an example of a multicultural society.

Actually, you did. When you make a statement, and follow it up with another statement within that same sentence, typically, the second sentence is support for the first. Oh, and you didn't say you visited restaurants.. perhaps you should reread what you posted?

Again, though... Let me point out an opportunity that was given to you. I asked a few questions, none of which you have managed to answer (which is impressive), and instead, you've decided to deflect.

That's two opportunities to discuss multiculturalism, you thoughts on it, and both time you have failed to do so. I won't be bothering to do that again.

Credit to you for having the patience lol

If thats your idea of having patience (having to deal with one inaccurate question), then you really need to work on having patience. In any case, considering his response, he didn't express patience. To do that, he would have answered my other questions.

these kinds of questions aimed at you are strange and usually seen on alt right forums and such

Um, why would you be viewing these alt-right forums? I certainly don't. In any case, there is nothing in my post which is even remotely connected with Alt-right ideologies... and honestly, to make the connection, is highly suggestive that you don't know what you're talking about.

However, MarkEadie, perhaps you might like to answer my questions (the integration/assimilation question being your opinions on whether it should be required for foreign groups), and commit yourself to arguing about multiculturalism? (as opposed to sniping from the sidelines).

I'm not sure why you think our housing issues are the fault of some, specifically, 'non Europeans '

The housing issue in Ireland has been going on for years, the fact that the state don't build houses for themselves anymore is a massive issue. It cannot be blamed on a relatively small amounts of immigrants. Lazy thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Rental housing situation in rural areas is damn all to do with anyone immigrating here. I know a few long term empties near me in cavan and that's without even thinking too hard about it at all.

Landlording is just generally seen to be poor form these days and the politicians don't want to be seen to be supporting it. They've been very successful at reducing the numbers of landlords.

• Advertisement

Whereas in Athlone, it's quite difficult to find any rental accommodation, apart from a few short-stay places. And the numbers of migrants in Athlone is quite significant. Some of that is due to Ericsson, bringing in Indian/Pakistani talent, but there's been a very large increase in African/Eastern European migrants over the last decade. I'd say the population of Athlone has increased quite a bit over the last decade due to immigration.

Small time landlords (one property) are getting out of renting because they can finally make a reasonable profit on selling their property... and are expecting another housing bubble/crash within the next few years. It's nothing to do with the government, except for the awkward regulations and costs relating to being a landlord, which make it unappealing for many. Most landlords I know (single/dual properties) are selling because they don't trust the market anymore, and will find another way to invest.

A lot of nicer rural areas, are having a lot of "blow ins" arriving, usually Irish, but not from the area. Those people are people who are often leaving cities in the first place, likely due to the cost of living in them due to the housing situation, which is at least somewhat based on immigration levels. It's all related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Yes they do exist but in some parts of the world they're not considered illnesses.

Net immigration into ireland is about 30,000 people a year.... how many houses do they need? About 10,000?

That's about 25 houses that need to be built EVERY SINGLE DAY to house immigrants.... how is this sustainable? Do we just build over every field in ireland?

You can tell the people that have houses on this thread..... I guess as long as you are ok no one else really matters.

You do realise that approx one third of inward migration is Irish nationals? How many people emigrated between 1950-2000 ? I don't know the fugure, buy a it definitely more then those that immigrated here in the last 25 years.

And what does owning a househave to do with it? Are you guessing that I own a house because I don't blame the 'foreigners ' for our housing issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Lazy thinking is right, here's some nasty facts also.

Last year, I decided to ask the Department of Social Protection what percentage of rent supplement was paid out to non-Irish EU nationals, and non-EU nationals.

As at February of last year, the figure was 35pc. This is a remarkable total. Remember, 17pc of the population is "foreign-born", so immigrants are over-represented in the figures by two to one.

I also asked what percentage of those waiting for social housing fell into these same categories. Some 61pc are Irish citizens (some might be naturalised immigrants), and the rest (39pc) are citizens of other countries, with 16pc from outside the EU.

I think you may have covered a lot of reasons why irish people fled this country in the fifties and indeed many other periods and werent we very lucky to have places to go to when we ran from the slums with outside toilets and no hot water.

I well remember an odd jingoist or two saying that the irish were taking their jobs when i worked in the UK, but these clowns exist everywhere,hopefully our population will continue to grow and governments here will build enough houses to be rented at a price people can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

True, the Irish emigrated all over the world, especially the US and UK. and from the day they arrived they worked...and worked damn hard too! None of this guaranteed own roof over your head within 4 months of arrival, plus full access to to welfare system. No one gave the Irish anything for nothing...anything they did get was well earned. You cannot compare the present day immigrants to the Irish back then.

• Advertisement

Rent supplements are paid to massive amounts of people, including members of our own defence forces amongst others. Just a sign of our ridiculous rents, lack of housing and poor pay.

And as I pointed out before, plenty of times, foreign born doesn't mean immigrant. Plenty of Irish people were born in other countries.

Advertisement