Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

>why would anyone accept these >continuous delays?

It's typical USA/new tech vaporware. Collect deposits/sales when there is no real timeline and the final design does not even exist. It's great for getting bank loans and planning rollout, people are also more likely to accept an imperfect car after waiting so long. VW and the like have even increased the price of EVs due to supply shortages, supply and demand, market forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I think you'll find you'd be waiting longer for an ID4 than a Model 3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I know I had a rant on the model 3 thread about the new software update but I'm sticking to my guns. It's horrific.

All the one touch icons are now gone at the bottom of the screen and can now only be accessed via a secondary sub menu.

Rear heated seats don't switch off when your passengers leave the car (just found that out now). Mine got out and I took the key card out to open the front door, got back in and it asked for the card to drive. Checked the rear seats and they were still on... usually they turn off when you remove the card from the vehicle.

Spotify doesn't show how long is left on a song or podcast anymore, just a line moves along the screen.

The worst is the navigation. Before when you wanted to check what battery you have left at the end of the journey you just pulled down once on the directions box and it told you. Now you've to keep scrolling through all the individual directions until you reach the bottom of the box.

Whoever signed this off needs shot with a ball of their own shíte.

The only decent upgrade is the blind spot camera shows up on screen when you indicate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Calls to Tesla Sandyford now go through to UK Call Centre instead of staff on site, shame, I prefer talking to someone closer to the ground

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Should tell them Brexit means Brexit, now put me through to someone in Ireland.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looks like the Tesla Semi Superchargers are an insane 1.5MW!!

Still pīssed off that I can't see how long is left on songs etc on Spotify since this "wonderful" new software update.

What's the latest due date for FSD. Promised by the end of 2020, so must be due out any day now...

You're dreaming if you think it's coming soon. Tesla make announcements every few months and to be honest nobody pays any heed to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

That's the three dots of sarcasm at the end of your post, I'd recognise them anywhere, seems you expect it on Monday, when we all know it's going to be Tuesday...

I agree with your sentiment but "ever"? as in like, in 10,000 years time we'll (royal human race we) still be driving ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

"Modified" - putting in a 2X battery capacity.

Yes, I think human level driving requires general intelligence and not a finite rule set derived by neural networks. I'd put GI on the same level as humans managing interstellar travel in reasonable time frames, which there is absolutely no prospect of due to the energy issue.

I can hear the engineers at Mercedes in Germany laughing, all the way from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I can't see why they would laugh at what ONE tries to archive here. I mean it's not just that the company in question have just doubled the volume of the battery to get the capacity:

https://insideevs.com/news/558908/752-mile-range-experimental-battery/

"The ONE Gemini battery aims to eliminate range as a barrier to electric vehicle adoption by doubling the available energy on board in the same package space.”

Sounds like a good target to me and nothing to laugh about. However, as usual, any battery announcements should be taken with a grain of salt. But in the long term all of the battery pack makers are trying to improve the volumetric capacity of packs or reduce their price per kWh. Ideally both at the same time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There wouldn't be many laughs if suddenly Tesla bought this crowd with a few spare billion from down the back of the sofa...

That sort of battery tech would do wonders, particularly for Semi's & the Roadster with its purported 1,000km highway range!

Imagine how efficient a Model 3 SR+ would be with a battery half the size & weight, or how much more range it could get with a weight for weight replacement..

Or if they made a 'compact' car.. 300-400km range from a battery the size/weight of a gen 1 Leaf's 24kWh pack...

The very fact it was done in a Tesla means surely Tesla have access to all the cars data?

• Advertisement

"The very fact it was done in a Tesla means surely Tesla have access to all the cars data?"

You can just pull the SIM and then it's off grid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

I thought Tesla were recently told by the US consumer marketing crowd that they have to rename FSD as it’s not actually ‘Full’ or ‘Self’, it’s ‘adaptive cruise with lanekeep assist’ or whatever, just like other manufacturers have, albeit a better implementation of it for sure

Well, whatever it is is going up in price by $2k next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

They will come up with a name derived from a indie/80s movie which would imply the same thing. Something like “Nobody calls me chicken” as "Warp drive" would be too easy pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Could be real.

Tesla will chat to him and pay him to show them open door and then they will patch it.

I thought it was common for this type of thing out there in the IT world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

There are already a significant number of people in self driving Taxis right now (actually driving around the place)

Do you mean "tesla will never deliver on its FSD"?

Where - China? The ones with a person in the drivers seat?

I mean no one will do it. AI is the most ridiculous term and it should be expunged from use. It denigrates 'intelligence' and has no connection with what that actually is.

Try this 'intelligence' test next time an AI taxi, car, whatever crashes; ask it why did it crash? If you get a meaningful answer, I'll concede to it being intelligent.

These systems have a huge flaw, the black box problem. No one knows how they work. If something goes wrong with the decision making, you can't determine where the flaw is and fix a line of code or ten.

There is an astonishing case where Toyota had a problem with the logic controlling some of it's cars, which resulted in 89 deaths.

They contracted NASA to find the problem and they couldn't, despite $3 million and over 10 months. All anyone could find in the end were failures in the software writing process, but no one ever found the flaws in the code.

Neural network derived control algorithms are an order of magnitude, or several, worse than that. There is no human intelligible code to look at or trouble shoot. The black box does something complicated but precisely how it does it is an unknown and will stay that way.

I think real human level of competence self driving requires general intelligence. I suspect that would possibly also necessitate a system that had consciousness and was self aware.

I am intrigued by the theory that human consciousness isn't just dependent on the number of neuron interconnections, but that it may derive from quantum level events in micro tubules, which if correct, would put creating something that was conscious and had general intelligence, way beyond what we can ever achieve technically.

There seems to be a popular notion that nothing is technically impossible and beyond human ingenuity to accomplish, but I don't think that's the case. Interstellar travel is a basic and solved problem underpinning a lot of Science Fiction, but it doesn't seem achievable due to the mind bending amounts of energy required using known physics, sadly.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

i was looking at my carzone saved list today and one of them was a Model X p100d that I saved in Mar 2020, just about two years ago, for €104k. It’s still there, now €98k.

are Irish model X buyers from the past few years ultimately going to have to take a really big bath on resale price?

• Advertisement

Is it the same seller or has it changed hands?

Advertisement