Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,186 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There would be little public buy-in for lockdown now because there's no need for it. If the need increases then public buy-in will increase.

They wouldn't do lockdown for the sake of it. Why do you think they would?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Dickie10

any word of Britain going into lockdown? is the Boris way now the only proper and right next move , just live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

No because the country is basically broke, they have already spent a fortune on covid, the European moneytree is finished as the ECB needs to raise interest rates next year to tackle inflation, Inflation is now the biggest issue out there not Covid.

Germany just experienced its highest inflation rate in decades, if there is one thing the Germans fear more than anything it is inflation. The government is now afraid to close down any businesses even nightclubs because they cannot afford anymore PUP payments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I'm saying they won't! In response to a poster who said they will lock down in Jan.

I get what you're saying and I think they'll do what's necessary depending on the circumstances. No need for heavy restrictions now and the government hasbt imposed any and people wouldn't wear them because they're not necessary. If the circumstances change then people's attitudes and government behaviour will change.

• Advertisement

No word on it yet. Boris said he'll die in a ditch before allowing more lockdowns. But he also promised to lay down in front of the bulldozers in opposition to the extra runway in Heathrow and he ended up supporting it. He'll say whatever suits and do whatever suits. If they need lockdown after Christmas then he'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The libertarian wing of the Conservative party is already pissed off with the increases in NI contributions (income tax basically), so I really don't see them going back on no-more-lockdowns.

Add to that the Paterson 'sleaze' the refugees, and his speech last week. He's on the back foot but he won't do restrictions unless they're necessary. If they're necessary they'll do them just like they did them before.

And not doing any interim measures beyond wearing masks in shops and public transport means they're more likely to need lockdown in the new year.

It's lockdown or nothing in the UK. Johnson is trying his best to not need any kind of restrictions but we'll just have to see how it ends up. He tends to play it clever by not acting if its unpopular and then waiting until the situation is out of hand to impose restrictions. In other words he wants until restrictions are absolutely obviously necessary before imposing them. It's poor governance but it's more popular than the way the Irish have done it. And he will do the same again if necessary. Only time will tell.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That is pretty much it. In the height of it last autumn their wasn't a word mentioned about money or the cost from ministers, now any hint of lockdown's been introduced the cost is always put first. There hasn't been any reversals to PUP, EWSS etc, no more grants. The free money tree is dead, if there is future closures we can't expect the same level of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes it is but no Irish government wants to be seen to emulate the UK, media would go to town on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is becoming blatantly obvious that we are reaching brokedom. I reckon NPHET are really recommending full lockdown but government are telling them we can't because of the financial situation. So essentially they are screwing hospitality by saying you can open but with unviable restrictions, so they cannot claim PUP.

Makes you wonder why Micheal Martin went to the EU last year and handed them over 16bn, then lined up to the media and said it was "a show of strength".

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

@Richard Hillman

"It is becoming blatantly obvious that we are reaching brokedom. I reckon NPHET are really recommending full lockdown but government are telling them we can't because of the financial situation."

Exactly. I don't believe in all this the government are waiting for nphet to deliberate before deciding stuff, nphet would shut down hospitality again if they could, but government have told them its not possible anymore.

Its "germany calling, germany calling" your line of credit will run out shortly sir, the money guys are in charge again even of nphet now

The mistake was spending far too much money on the first lockdowns, making them too widespread and lasting too long

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think they are as much afraid of what's happening in Germany (and America too) with inflation. As you said, Germany have a pathological fear of inflation. I feel they will panic if it starts to escalate. They are already having inflation issues. The new government is coming in and jacking the minimum wage from €9 to €12.

Vlad in the Kremlin is swinging his gas pipes around and telling Europe his price. If Germany fails, the ECB fails. The Eastern bloc (who are in the EU through necessity rather than want) leave the EU because the gravy train is over.

France, Germany, Italy will vote for nationalistic governments. No more EU or it will be at least be reformed to what it should be, a free trade agreement and that's it.

The house of cards is falling. Governments getting nasty. Everyone panicking. Protests getting bigger. Vlad in the east swinging his dick prepping for an invasion of Ukraine. America in serious bother. Tension in Bosnia.

There's only one way out of it. A War.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭marilynrr

It was definitely assumed by many that vaccines would mean the end of restrictions. There was never an assumption back then among the general population that there would be lockdown after lockdown, the idea would have been nonsensical.

Also the experts you are referring to were the virologists, epidemiologists etc. Obviously they were the ones with the info and knowledge that the people and governments needed back then. I remember hearing that a vaccine might never be possible, or that maybe there might be one but it might take 10 years. I never once thought that would mean that the initial lockdown would last 10 years or that we would have restrictions until they found a vaccine that worked etc.

I never thought that, simply because I knew that if a vaccine wasn't found or if the vaccines were ineffective then we would have to just learn to live with it because the consequences for the rest of all of the aspects of society would be too dire if not, and that we could not change our way of living, dramatically, indefinitely, to try to stop a virus that can't be stopped.

There are many experts that should be heard from and consulted with and most importantly to be considered when deciding on further restrictions etc. not just virologists or epidemiologists.....so I certainly don't think that the info you mentioned, the "unvarnished facts" implied anything at all about the future of where this was going to go and that it was simply a case that people ignored the 'facts' they were given.

Epidemiologists etc. have warned governments about issues in the past and they have paid very little attention, antibiotic resistance/overuse is one I remember... I mean take a look at this article from 2019 https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/health/un-drug-resistance-antibiotics.html

The experts have been warning the governments for a long time with very little being done!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,315 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Imagine if pubs have to close by 8pm or earlier, the people out of work will actually benefit more as they have time to enjoy a few drinks while the people working have little time for a few pints. Saturday and Sunday will be manic

Not all day drinkers are unemployed living off social welfare (some are retired, others on days off etc) but you get what im saying

Back to table service in pubs including night clubs, two month shutdown of schools very shortly and colleges remote. Work from home past February until May.

Other than that can't see much else happening unless the variant causes havac.

So you remember reading that covid might mot be ended by the vaccine? That's waaaay more than loads of posters claim they remember. They'll tell you they remember being told thst the vaccine meant the end of restrictions, the end of covid.

I doubt anyone would seriously accept living with covid meaning using emergency morgue and overwhelming the health service every winter so you can't get seen for anything until it becomes a life and death emergency. Because that's probably what no restrictions and ignoring the numbers would look like.

Loads of people want to give out about restrictions but jobody really wants to live in the world without restrictions. There are plenty of anti restrictions people at the moment who like to give out about the government restrictions (the government has introduced very few restrictions in light of the new variant). But if there were no restrictions and they "let the bodies pile up" as Boris Johnson said, then they'd join the rest of us in condemning then government for not imposing restrictions. They wouldn't even remember the time when they opposed restrictions.

How long will restrictions on? I don't know. I'm pretty sure thst they won't let the bodies pile up, so I'd say there will be some restrictions for as long as they're needed. The vaccines are very effective and they claim to have produced treatments which can reduce hospitalisations. So that's the best hope of getting back towards normal for next year.

But look, anyone who really believed that the vaccine would definitely solve the whole situation was probably getting their info from their mate on Facebook or skimming headlines in tabloids. People need to be responsible for their own information and not all information is equal. If you're the kind of person who gets their news from tabloids, that's fine. Tabloids tell nice neat, simple stories and leave people with strong opinions. But don't expect to know what's actually going on because tabloids don't deal in complexity. And this situation is complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Any idea when the figures for bankruptcies come out? It was pretty clear back in March/April that a lot of businesses were throwing in the towel, and once the receivers get back up to speed it will be carnage in the private sector.

The biggest joke was paying out Millions of euro each week to people that didnt need it, namely students in part time jobs loose their jobs coff coff then get the full 350 a week when the colleges were closed and most were living at home. Students can earn up to 14k without paying tax i might add. Didnt stop them going out every other day student nights out spreading the virus and carrying it home to their familys who in turn spread it to their work colleges. Students are the biggest spreaders of the covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

My sister in law as a student had a part time bar job.

Was getting one or two weekend shifts, probaby earning a max of €150 per week.

Covid was like hitting the jackpot for her. Suddenly she was bumped to €350. Within 3 months she stashed away enough cash to buy a car.

• Advertisement

There you go. Fair play to her, i would have done the same. Its the government who are at fault. There ok with their big salary and big pensions but its the tax payers money there using. Its the middle income earners who will be paying it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There were no student nights when the PUP was a flat 350, because hospitality was closed, it'd be quicker to just say you hate young people.

I lived in the city when pup was flat 350, covid didnt stop student nights.

It would be quicker to say you dont know what your talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

As did I, where were these pubs hosting student nights?

Obviously no where near you were living!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I doubt it. They mentioned before that there could be a lockdown if 700 were hospitalised and there’s well over 900 now so I’d be a little surprised if there was another lockdown again.

The UK is ploughing through, evidence building Omicron far less severe, close to seasonal flu for mortality rates, albeit higher infections. I think we'll do the same, heading out of winter. I think the worst of Covid is behind us. 🤞

Yeah this variant certainly won't cause a lockdown. Likely won't cause restrictions to last very long either. If this is the worst variant then we're looking great. If there are other variants greater concern than Omicron then there might be need for more restrictions again next winter term. We'll have to wait and see.

But it's hard to see how there could be any lockdowns again.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

In the Summer of 2020 when the PUP was in full swing all student houses where absolutely crammed with students. Students who pre covid lived at home were going out renting to get away from their parents. It was wild in relative to other demographics. And it was funded by PUP. Not that controversial to say. Wasn't a huge percentage of the student population I imagine but it was a thing.

Here's a new article from the time: https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40117751.html

SUN, 31 MAY, 2020 - 'It's purely party central': Cork city residents say students are putting the 'community at risk'

• Advertisement

Just talking with a relative in Canada and they gone into lockdown again.hairdressers ext....(January 2022)

Advertisement