Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Presumably they will find a way to send Djokovic packing. Funnily enough I do think viewership will take a hit at the oz open. There would have been so many eyes on him had he played because he would be the ultimate villain and I think massive numbers would have tuned in to see the crowd taunting him etc.

With him gone i think it would be a huge name gone from the draw. This could also prove crucial in the race to most grand slams. Whether he gets banned from oz for a few years or not, I am not sure he would be rushing back next year after what has gone down. Nadal could well be favourite to take the lead at the French open.

I think I will kind of lose interest in this years tournament with the player to beat out of the draw. He has won the last 3 and 9 overall

you mean back on December 28th he resigned.

probably saw Omicron coming and said - fcuk that for a game of soldiers.

What's a biosecurity plan?

Biosecurity planning practices are intended to prevent the spread of infectious diseases into your operation

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Spot on.

I don’t think Nadal or Nole are winning at RG. Nole I think has good chance at SW19 and Flushing Meadow to bag slam 21/22, but not near as strong as from few years ago..

Nadal is not winning any more slams.

No surprise if they all stay on 20.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Link for Djokovic's hearing has changed, can now be viewed here from 11pm.

The word is that it will go on for several hours (up to 6 I'm specifying here due to recent several-ege issues) , Djokovic won't even be there and it will be boring as F to watch and full of legalese jargon and reference to legal provisions.

Unfortunately there is going to be no Djokovic jumping up out of his seat shouting "Objection"

😍😍😍

I'll wait for the summary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think you might be right.

But he has seriously damaged his reputation imo. His family and entourage aren't helping him at all.

Plus those pictures the day after his positive test seemingly....hmn

There are some questions that need to be answered in terms of judging Djokovic on that

1. Was he conducting routine Covid Tests as a matter of course (i.e. didn't have to have a close contact)
    2. What day did he get notified of positive test from the 16th - was it the 17th, was it the 18th or what day was it?

Please do share if you have any insight on that.

As for the other - Djokovic, Renata et al - they applied to a process and followed the guidelines that they were given - the lack of oversight and communication that caused the clusterfeck was all on the Australians (then they threw in some politicking on top).

The bould Renata had some things to say ->

“I did everything they asked me to do. Apparently, Tennis Australia has misled us, which is annoying,” she said.

TA had told players that a recent COVID-19 infection was grounds for a medical exemption from the vaccine.

Voracova was already living free in Melbourne and had played a doubles match in a lead-up tournament ahead of the Australian Open.

She said it was impossible to follow in Djokovic’s footsteps and launch a bid to stay in the country and the tournament.

“I would have to ask for another visa and wait for a week, locked up in a hotel, without training,” Voracova said.

“It doesn’t make sense. So I’m waiting for a permit (to fly out of Australia) on Saturday perhaps.

“I would like them to let him (Djokovic) play. We are athletes, we have come here to play tennis and not to deal with disputes behind the scenes.”

Voracova is not in contact with Djokovic at the “unpleasant” hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,909 ✭✭✭✭josip

He's done incalculable damage to his reputation. His parents have always been simpletons though, so no change there.

Sky News reckon there may not even be a decision until Tuesday, so we could be a while waiting yet.

Simpleton, that's a quaint term I haven't for about 2 decades.

Why do you describe Djokovic's mother as such?

• Advertisement

That was a quick edit 😉

Simpleton is probably harsh for the mother. She's a bit... tactless perhaps, her "king is dead" comments were the first that came to mind. Simpleton is probably a polite term for his father though.

Maybe he wasn't so bad?

Australians can't do anything correctly this week....

(court hearing links don't work)

How apt

Murray of course joined the list of players coming out to support Djokovic today with a "subtle" message

"I think everyone is shocked by it," said Murray, who will also play at the tournament, which starts on 17 January.

"I'm going to say two things on it just now. The first thing is that I hope that Novak is OK. I know him well, and I've always had a good relationship with him and I hope that he's OK.

"The second thing: it's really not good for tennis at all and I don't think it's good for anyone involved. I think it's really bad."

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

yeah we don't know if he was conducting routine tests yet (probably will never know) , it's hard to believe an anti-vaxer conducting routine pcr tests though. It's also very hard to believe that with his resources he would have to wait a day and definitely not two for his results? I've never liked him and I know your a fan but I think what I've said is fairly rational. It's not surprising he's being judged with the photos from the 17th.

I don't really get the fact that he is not vaccinated means that he would not be doing routine tests.

That really makes no sense at all

In fact Djokovic is a guy who has a lot of public and sponsor demands etc (at a lot of events) so that actually means that he would be the sort of person doing routine tests.

He was in Serbia - do you have an insight on PCR turnaround times there - do you know what lab he was using?

Pubic😂 I'd imagine if he was doing routine tests like your suggesting then he would be using a private lab and not the Serbian health service. Considering Irish private labs get your tests back within hours I think it's a massive reach to suggest it could have been the 18th! Fair enough your sticking with your guy, just doesn't look great for him at the moment really.

hope you got a good laugh out of the quickly corrected typo - are you 5 and a 1/2?!

so you really think that Djokovic would knowingly endanger people with Covid?

That's really a stretch and more a reflection on your hate-factor than anything remotely approaching rational!

• Advertisement

Are you serious man? The same guy that held an event last year when nobody else was? And the players tested positive from it? I don't know, it looks like he knowingly endangered people or lied about having covid. Do we know what events he was at from the 17th onwards?

he didn't know that he had Covid then - nobody did until they found out.

he also apologised later for that event saying he meant well but didn't work out

but saying that he's now knowingly seeking to endanger people with Covid is just rabid thinking!

that was also in 2020, not last year - we have hit the new year by the way and we're in 2022 now!

This judge is a cranky bollix

Ah look it's not rabid thinking at all ,his lawyers said he was covid positive on the 16th , there's pictures of him out and about with people on the 17th. It's been reported widely across the media. We will never find out anyway ,I presume the timings of when he knew won't be referenced in regard to the visa. Haha ive had a slow start to 2022!

Just reading he gave an interview and did a photoshoot on the 18th, was out on the streets in Belgrade 25th. His positive PCR on the 16th must have been seriously delayed😂

but the key factors under consideration is what date (and time maybe) he found out the result of the positive test and also if the test was routine or due to a close contact (which would influence actions between the test-taking and result)

it's pointless to go on debating this in the absence of that information as we could just go round and round in circles.

Yeah I agree probably pointless, I don't think it's a much of a reach to think either way though. Out of interest do you think they'll let him play? I do

I don't think so

I'd be really really surprised if he gets allowed into Australia as an outcome of this

The judge here seems very cranky and a bit aggro towards the defence

Australia have a bit on the line here as they have cocked up a lot already and losing this would make them look bad

At the end of the day apparently Border Agents there can just "refuse you" so even if the visa was reinstated they could technically just cancel it again!

(even though that would look even worse)

but to answer your question I think NO.

He's going home

P.S where he was on the 25th was in a private garden connected to his apartment complex - so not really "out and about" in Belgrade and if you get a negative test after 6 days or more following a positive test then you can cut the isolation time so 9 days later is not mad (especially just to be in your apartment garden effectively)

Just reading on BBC news they have a live thread, the judge isaid what more could he have done? In reference to the two medical boards. Is it just down to this judge? Surely that's a good sign for djokovic?

Yeah I can't see them getting up to more shenanigans though of recancelling it or appealing so he'd miss it. Although they did try to delay it today😂

• Advertisement

I don't really know tbh

will have a read of it

long way to go as there will be a long break before the government come in (will head to bed I think)

as said - the border force have sweeping powers so even if Djokovic got a decision they can still stop him (even tho that would surely come under heavy criticism)

Advertisement