Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

They stopped making them in August while they sorted out their battery problems, and haven't restarted production yet. They were due to restart in November 2021, but then changed it to late January 2022. When they get restarted, sales will improve, but I think their brand has been hard hit by the publicity of recalling every EV they've sold.

At the moment, GM only have the Bolt and the Hummer EV. The Cadillac Lyric is due into showrooms this summer, and the Chevy Silverado is due out next year, but I don't think they have anything else announced.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thank f* GM are leading the way eh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I'll still never forgive them for murdering Saab. That could have been a cool EV brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

That's a fact! Shame that the NEVS also failed. Luckily we got Tesla as a consolation prize, in a way it's a very SAAB like company.

Worth posting here too for the wider community, but the Tesla Semi Superchargers are looking like being 1.5MW capable….

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

I wonder will future hubs be where power lines meet motorways or next to substations with excess power? Grid connections for those sorts of chargers or multiple shared would be insane money be relatively less next to a substation. I could see truck stops popping up in strange places where grid connections are cheap.

I think Tesla are going to install these mega chargers with mega packs (batteries) beside them, so power coming from the grid would only need to be standard connection, and just be supplemented by the batteries, then when there’s no trucks charging, the batteries are filling up again from the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think those megachargers are going to be at bases of companies who have bought semi(s). Unlikely we'll see many in the wild for some time. Very few truck drivers will want or accept a 30 min stop in the middle of a paid route.

A 30 minute stop is fine. Drivers have to take 45 mins break after 4.5 hours driving anyway. The issue they will have is if they have to wait for a charger to become free. That 45 minute break will become more than an hour, and that will cause them problems.

• Advertisement

The rules in the US are different, requiring a break after 8 hours of duty time, and a maximum of 14 hours from your last 10 hour off-duty break, with a maximum of 11 hours driving in the 14 hours. To minimise the travel time for long distance (multi-day) journeys, the optimum break pattern is drive for somewhere between 3 and 8 hours, take your 30 minute break and then continue until the 11 hour driving is reached. Then take the 10 hour break and start again. It gives 11 hours driving in 21.5 hours. This can be continued up to the 60 hour/7 day or 70 hour/8 day duty window is reached. The delay there still comes only if the break in the middle is more than 30 minutes.

For local drivers (operate within 100 miles of their base and start and end every day at their base), the rules are different. For these drivers, they are allowed to drive 12 hours per day with no break requirements. I don't see the Tesla Semi being appropriate for them if they are not able to charge while loading/unloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

It will be the same problem as with EVs, everyone wanting a charge at the same time, a 30 minute stop is fine but what about queues, more chargers? more batteries for said chargers? or just plant the chargers right beside a mini nuclear reactor?

I think this is a better solution, smaller batteries required or even just a normal truck with an added electric motor.

Kanuseeme - a better version of what you posted already exists. A rail network!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Did you watch the clip? It has wheels and no sign of a rail anywhere, in fact there is a car behind the lorry.

The guy said equip 33% of the road network and it reduces 66% green house emissions of the trucks.

Its a practical solution, not some imaginary rail network that delivers to every business door, trucks are sometimes in constant use, 2 drivers sharing a cab or shift work,

I am trying to think of any successful rail delivery companies, maybe we should go greener again and use canals and barges towed by horses.

This idea already exists, nearly every city in the world has some sort of tram, the final mile delivery can be made on diesel or battery.

I give up, build your 1,5 mega Watt chargers and expand the railways

No I mean they have to drive wherever there's a "rail" of power cables set up. Theres literally no benefit to that.

1.5mW already isnt too far off. Any hub of 8 V3 chargers has 2 * 1mW charger hubs.

The benefit is the constant charging and ability to run "from the cables" when under them.

Think of it more like how cruise control is not much use in a city, but great on the motorway.

Its about as practical as battery swapping. A short term measure at best.

Irish Ferries now charging €15 for EV charging on their Ferries to/from U.K./France;

EDIT: This was from a fare from Dublin - Cherbourg, so it might indeed be cheaper on the quicker Dublin - Holyhead route

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

Good lord what a ripoff. I wouldnt be doing that so. 15 quid for 3 hours charging at 16a? When I used the charger before I got 3 hours of fluctuating 10-16a at 200v. Not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

It's the same price for the Dublin - Cherbourg route. so in that instance you get about ~18 hours for €15. I suppose there is a high convenience factor of being able to get off the boat fully charged if you have a spin ahead of you.

For anyone travelling a bit of distance to or from Dublin Port, the extra €15 on a fare of close to a grand would seem like small change for the convenience of not needing a charge upon landing back in Dublin... or when arriving in France.

I reckon 10% would get me to Dublin Port, so I'd be arriving on the boat at ~90%, and then have the SuC's in France, and when coming back to Ireland, landing in Cherbourg with about 15-20% should suffice to get me home the next day. But say I had to drive to Galway from Dublin Port, getting off the boat at 100% would be very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

How many cars can charge on the ferry, how many POD Point II's are on the car decks?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Makes sense. I'd say they've had a huge increase in the number of cars wanting to charge while crossing, and it's always been free. Now those who want it, can have it if they pay for it. I've plans to tip to France on a wine run. I wouldn't need range when I get there, but if it was free i'd take it. Now i'd probably just charge up close to the departure port in Ireland.

I don't know how many they have, but would like to think now they are charging for it they should be putting more on every ship....

I also understand the flat fee as once a car is parked there, it's not like another car can then charge when one is full, so you're paying for the spot and charge for the 18 hour duration of the sailing, and whether you take 1kWh or 60kWh in that time is up to you..

be nice to have a full car lane against a wall with 20 chargers along it.. they'd hardly notice the electricity anyway as they are generating megawatts for the electric propulsion motors as well as ships systems so it's win win really for them...

Imagine landing in Dublin in an EV and needing a charge... and hoping maybe you could get on 1 of the 2 chargers in the port!!! F**k that. pay €15 and get off the boat at 100%

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

you have a point, A) your guaranteed your charging spot. and B)getting off at Ireland with 100%, in one of the bigger battery cars would mean you could get to most places in ireland without having to stop.

Been thinking if I was heading to dublin, (from the NW) Id be eyeing up the ionity at city north, even its expensive, and have an e-Niro and cant take advantage of the speed, but theres 2, and most likely available.

I priced a return trip to France there in August for €1,300 so another €30 to ensure you get off the boat at both ends at 100% could be invaluable to someone. If I was travelling to Dublin Port from 100+km away, I'd be booking that charger all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

Not sure if this is the right place, but can anyone recommend the best value EV Charger on a pedestal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

The irony, was just booking the ferry for the summer, and thought for the flexibility I'd try for EV charging on way home (not at all essential given I live in Dublin), but it was fully booked! And that's for a sailing in September.

Advertisement