Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

from the bbc reading does seem like, so far, that the judge is agreeing with important bits of what the defence says

they put him under pressure and didn't give a reason for why they were cancelling the visa

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Yeah seems like it , although maybe there'll be some legal stuff later that prevents the judge siding with him. I'm sure we will know by morning!

yeah, will check back in the morning.

whatever happens, I think that given the circumstances, that Djokovic is right to be giving it a go instead of just rolling over on this.

would be total box office if he made a court

It would be full on "Rocky 4"

(where Rocky fights in hostile territory over in Russia)

Yeah I don't blame him for fighting it considering they let him travel over. I'd also rather if they let him play , it would be a lot better for the tournament. Would have medvedev as slight favourite, especially considering djokovics preparation 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Djokovic has won the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,909 ✭✭✭✭josip

Maybe with a name like Tony Kelly we shouldn't be so surprised with the decision 🙂

Now, will the Immigration Minister follow through and deport him for 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Common sense prevails!

Nadal and Federer gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

As predicted Djokovic has won case.

But....and it's a big but...he tested positive and had his results on the 16th...but still went events on the 17th unmasked etc..classy

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Novax about to be arrested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Had a feeling he would win the appeal, unless something else happens to prevent him taking part in AO I think he'll go on and win it now. The tournament will be all the better with him in it, regardless of people's views on him and whether he should be there or not.

• Advertisement

The Australians literally cannot do anything right it seems as the court rules for him.

That snotty weasel Morrison's political capital generation exercise has backfired spectacularly.

If the Australians cancel his visa again now surely their credibility is shot.

they have arrested him now...

Or he hasn't been arrested?

Confusing reports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cmac2009

What's your take on him getting his test results on the 16th? I have faith in you Glasso! Not the lunatics over in the after Hours thread. Tbf the tournament will be better for him in it , always good to have a villain in sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sky news were reporting it. Then again it is coming from Djokovic's father so god knows if it is true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

His dad spouts absolute nonsense so I wouldn't believe a word from him.

Didn't he compare him to jesus?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

All very strange. Reading the report the judge seemed to have made his mind up when he heard ND was only given 20 minutes to explain why his visa wasn't in order, which is fair enough. Didn't pay any heed to how the test was after the entry date or the fact that International travellers can't claim an exemption on having had covid.

It was Christmas eve, and he got it mixed up with Easter. We can give him a pass on that one 🙂

An awful lot of people criticising Djokovic because his father talks without thinking. Some lump in his mother in that category too, but she's always been more considered in what she says. But give me a pair of parents like that any day, who are proud of their child and will come out and bat for them regardless.

not a good look

he'll have to address it

the biddies will be out with pitchforks long before that!

I've seen 8pm on the 16th mentioned in the court docs but is that 100% when he got the result I don't know - let's see what comes out on it when the foaming at the mouth subsides

Are the Australians 100% not going to try to kick him out still I wonder?

If he plays there will be some interest.

Hardly the "ideal preparation"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,098 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They have another 5 minutes to cancel his visa if they want to according to the BBC.

• Advertisement

He still had the event on the 18th to be fair so not a good look, it says the results were in on the evening of the 16th. Jaysis it would be some story if they tried at this stage , I doubt they will , surely they'd look terrible.

I don't think he will address it, I'd be surprised anyway! Probably better off not addressing it, if it's as it seems it is

That deadline was to cancel before freeing him from detention.

They can still cancel his visa at any time in the coming days/weeks. They said they won't decide today. Before they decide, the govt's market research people will be trying to gauge what will be the political fallout of acting/not acting.

I wonder if ScoMo would still have decided to kick Djokovic out last week if he'd known that his decision would lead to police pepper spraying crowds in Melbourne. (I'm not saying the police weren't right to use pepper spray, just that it's nuts that the situation arose in the first place)

Post edited by josip on

Apparently  the judge has stated that the Immigration Minister can cancel Djokovic's visa "upon a personal exercise of cancellation", however if that were to occur, he cannot return to this country for three years.

That's adds a bit more to the situation if the Australians want to roll the dice again....

(if that's true - some comment that the 3 years could be waived)

At this stage though will it make it even worse for them if then just cancel it?

How much of a "Democratic" nation would they look then?

Yes, if anything I think the 3 year angle works in Djokovic's favour rather than against him, since it will make the Australians more reluctant to invoke it.

They still might, but I think even some of the forkers would consider that to be excessive.

Important to note that with the Federal State of Australia having been judged to have illegally cancelled Djokovic's visa that he was using for the Australian Open Grand Slam, that

Djokovic is still undefeated by the Fed at a grand slam since 2012 Wimbledon.

Kyrgios has covid

Some suggestions that the Australians are pressuring Djokovic behind the scenes to "just leave" or "we'll hit you with the 3 year ban"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

He's too stupid to fall for that bluff. Australians cancelling his visa for three years would be a worldwide PR disaster. There'd have to be serious repressions for Tennis Australia in that case too.

I don't think that Djokovic would really risk faking a test but this is quite good nevertheless if you get the references.

Djokovic has been training already today on a court apparently.

Seems unlikely now that the Aussies would "take the nuclear option"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah the way its been handled I do think he probably should be allowed to stay but the fact it seems he knew he had covid and then went to events next few days especially the children foundation one is really poor.

I would never blame a lad who is living pay cheque to pay cheque for breaking the isolation rules as heck I don't know if I would do the same if rent was due etc,,,,but he didn't even make a token attempt at self isolation, that's awful.

Advertisement