Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Seriously considering an id.3 and am looking to buy late Feb early March but can't take out finance before then. Does anyone know if it's realistic to think I could order one early Feb and have it mid March? Standard spec.

Or what would people expect the stock of 1-2 year old ones be like then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No chance of ordering in February and having it in March. There's lads here waiting months for a car already.

Do you think there will be many used ones hitting the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d there any reason why you couldn’t order it and apply for the finance when it arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Second hand ones available at the moment (demos) seem to be the same price as they were new and that's with 10k+ km on all the ones I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Unless you're not to fixed on a specific spec, in which case you might be able to get a cancellation.

To be honest I'd never thought about doing that but if possible might be the way to go so.

You will be lucky to get anything in March even if ordering now unless you get a cancellation. Would be worth phoning around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

I think you may not have mastered the "sweet spot" on the throttle in either the i3 or Tesla... 😎

In the i3 I don't watch the regen scale at all, I have a feel for it, I know where the sweet spot for coasting is for example and personally I don't care about the hard regen and break lights, the car does what it should. Also, I don't mind keeping the foot on the accelerator pedal at all.

Break lights should come up when the car's slowing down quickly, that's a safety feature. 1st gen EVs didn't do this which was a design flaw... Leaf mark 2 in B mode was slowing down rather quickly but no break lights.

So if when I test drive ID3 - should I set the B mode and also highest level of regen setting (3)? Assume also auto hold, I don't want creep.

We agree here. You're saying the same as me just from the opposite side of the argument.

I'm saying one pedal driving should be an option. But appears it's not in the ID3 currently. Which is disappointing because this could be easily done with a software update. And it's a standard feature in most EVs.

Leaf 3rd gen, Ioniq, Ioniq 5, EV6, Soul, Kona all have one pedal driving as an option. It's not forced but it's available if you prefer.

• Advertisement

Well it kind of is because when in B it's as good as 1 pedal but haven't messed with the auto braking when it detects junctions and roundabouts, it was on in the beginning but I disabled it, it seemed intelligent enough but found it a bit too aggressive but must try it again.

I must try out B mode again and see if it's capable of bringing the car to a complete stop, it could in the BMW i3 94 Ah but the regen in the i3 was not nearly as strong so you had to be further away from your stop and lift off earlier to allow it to stop, and of course due to the weaker regen you might still have to use the foot brake if you need more braking power which I find is a lot less in the id3.

I don't think the regen in the BMW i3 94 ah was more than around 30-35 Kw especially when the battery was 12 Deg C or less because it's incapable of charging at more than 35 Kw on a fast charger at this temp and at around 10 degrees or less I've seen as little as 22 Kw at the fast charger, where as the id3 can charge at 60 Kw at 12/13 deg C at the same temp ( only from Ionity and 50 Kw at ESB 150 Kw Charger ), though the i3 might be capable of charging at a faster rate at this temp but due to the charging curve which is pretty bad on the id.3 if I had plugged in at 10% I might have seen more but I don't know because charging a 77 Kwh car at public charge points is very rare so I don't get to test this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

There is no right or wrong way, just personal preferences. I personally prefer a car to freewheel or drive with low regen levels. Love the way the ID predicts what regen is required when you lift off, if approaching roandabout, speed limit, bad bend etc. I would get foot cramp if my right foot was constantly feathering the throttle..🙂. Also I don't want to lose the habit of covering the brake pedal, because of the varied vehicles I drive.

Have briefly driven my wifes' new Ioniq 5 (Collected yesterday). Nice car but the paddles would drive me mad. Seems strange when in zero regen mode there is no regen when using the brake pedal. (Different to other Hyundais)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I prefer the drive in the ID3, but I agree that full 1 pedal should be an option.

VW doesn't do well with options. I want the option to:

* Retain the memory for the wing mirror setting so it always dips on reverse.

* Remember the auto dip setting.

* Use either 2 or 3 panel option on the steering wheel display rather than it defaulting back to 2 panel.

* display the speed limit signs in my preferred unit rather than the unit of the country I'm in.

There are lots more that I don't remember off hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Good point about losing the habit of covering the brake pedal! I've gotten used to driving in B mode, except motorway/ N roads, but switched to D yesterday and after hitting a speed lump a bit too fast realised I've lost the habit of using the brake to slow down.

B mode won't bring the car to a complete stop - brake is still required for that plus autohold if you want to rest your foot while stopped. I've driven a BMW i3 and much prefer the VW implementation of regen - my right ankle was sore after a few hours driving the i3.

So no stop even with B and regen level 3 despite stronger/faster regen than in the i3?

I think VW is simply a car made for the masses... They tried to make it simple especially for people coming from the ICE.

Volkswagen = a car for the folk literally

The Koreans prefer more customisation I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There are no regen levels/paddles in the ID.

It’s D or B, auto hold on or off and dynamic regen on or off.

You seem to want 1-pedal driving or nothing so the ID is not for you. You should try it out though. Most on here have experienced both and all appear to be saying VWs implementation is better but each to their own I suppose.

side note… the ID will come to a complete stop on its own via ACC and will take off again within 10s if the traffic clears. That’s not 1-pedal but just to clarify that it does do that.

It slows down to creep speed but doesn’t stop without the brake.

Regen level for B mode in the ID.3 can’t be changed as far as I know.

Need to test drive it. But one pedal is a deal breaker.

Will see how B and auto hold behaves...

Can you have B ON AND Auto Hold ON AND Dynamic ON?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes

but it’s still not the 1-pedal you desire.

Will try test drive with this combo then so... Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Regen is under discussion with the facebook group. VW have asked people what changes they want in this regard. Personally i find regen pretty good. Lots people complain of the view out rear windscreen and i just removed centre headrest which improved the view quite a lot. A couple of seconds to replace if needed.

I hope VW don't remove the option to have 0 regen when you lift off in D, that would be a right pain in the ass, they should always keep this optional.

I went out today and tested B mode again and no, it won't bring you to a complete stop like the BMW i3 because it's programmed not to not because regen is weak but perhaps VW techs want your foot on or hovering over the brake pedal before you come to a stop rather than have it hovering over the accelerator ? I can see why VW might think this is a bad idea.

Regen overall is much stronger in the VW id.3 even if the i3 is capable of bringing the car to a complete stop, regen alone is not capable of stopping the BMW i3 in many circumstances without having to apply the brakes unless you lift off early enough.

In other words, you'd have to lift off the accelerator much earlier in the BMW i3 for the same speed and distance. Even if I were to use B mode in the id.3 which does not apply full regen it would slow down much faster. Applying the brake only gives max regen in the id.3 but it is quite strong, probably as strong as it can be on the rear axle because it's important that the wheels don't lock up which can happen over different surfaces, you can apply much stronger regen in the front axle because of the braking force is pushing against the car rather than pulling against it.

The other limiting factor with the BMW i3 is that it can't take more than 35 Kw at around 10 Deg C - maybe 15 Deg C and below this it gets less and less and I've seen as little as 22 Kw on a fast charger due to a cold battery.

If there was one thing I could have changed in the BMW i3 was the forced one pedal driving, it should be optional, it makes a big difference to me having the option as I not mainly drive in D mode ( that's when I'm actually driving without travel assist ) lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nutzfahrzeuge

Yep. Paid deposit 4th of May 2021

8 months and 7 days so far and still don't have car.

By all means order one, but prepare yourself for a long and frustrating wait, with false information about delivery and production dates. They will give you a tracking number called a comm number , but the tracking system is useless. You will have to keep asking for an update and keep an eye out for subtle changes to the page belonging to your comm number.

For me the most frustrating part of this experience is the only time the dealer proactively contacted me was to send me a brochure for accessories ( For a golf! ) And for the service pack. All other times I had to chase him, and when he said he would get back to me I had to chase him again .

It's meant to be a good experience buying a new car, hope it's worth it.

That sounds bad, and not much help from the dealer. I know it’s outside their control but a little bit of communication goes a long way.

What version did you order? I ordered my tour 5 a couple of weeks after you and collected 4 months later and that felt like a long wait!

If I were you I’d be keeping an eye out for alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nutzfahrzeuge

I ordered the Tour 5 - as i wanted the bigger battery , and the slightly faster charging in an attempt to future proof the purchase.

Not sure about an alternatives tbh, the ID 4 is too expensive for similar spec as the Tour 5, plus it would be another monumental wait for it to arrive. Similar story with the Skoda - its appears to be a sellers market.

The Korean stuff have a smaller batteries unless you look at the newer stuff like the EV 6 or Ioniq 5 , but i dont like them after seeing them in the flesh.....

I get the whole supply chain issue thing , but the level of support / communication from the dealer is amateur hour stuff. Its like the guy is a new hire ( he isnt) and is making it up as he goes along.

The Tour 5 seems to be exceptionally slow arriving. I ordered a tour same time as you and got it in august.

did you order anything unusual with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Tour 5 ordered very early June and landed in early October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Has anyone on the PCP Plan though about the best option for when the lease term ends??

The dealer was quite clear and made me sign a form so that I understood that I'd have NO equity in the car at the end.

I'd rather not have to hand over 20k in cash to keep the car, when most likely it'll be worth north of 25k.

Advertisement