Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

My bad, they do for entry to certain settings but also allow for negative antigen tests, which is more sensible than proof of vaccination alone imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭Gusser09

What if unvaxxed want to have a bite to eat or a drink? Are you saying just punish them for the sake of it at this stage? I could understand limiting their movements with Alpha and Delta maybe. But Omicron is a non event and this will likely burn out very quickly now. Do we still ban them from hospitality?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"Do this or lose access to society" isn't an option, its a threat.

Only the most idiotic can't see the nuance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

That should trigger a few headlines today.

I await the rearguard action in here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm unvaccinated. I can still get a bite to eat and have a drink. It's not punishment. I have a choice. I completely disagree with the passes...but it's my choice.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Posting it up just to accelerate the rearguard action that you are wishing for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There's very little advantage to changing the vaccine if it's not needed, the effort to from from original to Omicron is the same as it would be for Omicron to whatever, there has undoubtedly been a Beta/Delta vaccine ready for trials (not sure if trials even needed as it would be similar to the updated flu vaccine) but the original keeps on holding up at preventing severe disease. I'd hold out more hope for nasal vaccines to become available instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What are you talking about? These figures don't include discharges today and tomorrow after weekend.

You would think that 2 years into this thing that making spurious points over Monday hospital numbers would be a thing of the past but seems not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This is supposedly from 2019, how did the EU even know about that there would be a need for a vaccine?

https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/default/files/vaccination/docs/2019-2022_roadmap_en.pdf

This will likely be considered an "anti vax conspiracy theory" by the guardians of this site.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Not a very illuminating choice of words though is it. A person at gun point has “a choice” to leave their home or stay and be at the mercy of house intruders also, but calling it “a choice” doesn’t really cut it.

Its a fairly miserable existence for some people during the winter months in rural Ireland when they can no longer engage in civic life due to their choice not to get a particular pharmaceutical product. Not a nice feeling being turned away from places you used to frequent like a leper.

And it most certainly is “a punishment”. By design. Just look at what Macron said during the week for a little insight on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

One question I have seen about the vaccinations that I found to be extremely pertinent, and I’m not anti-vax I’ve had my 2 Astra Zenecas.

But given that the manufacturers of all of the various vaccinations were unsure about the timeframe that they work for (i.e. how long you’re actually protected for), how could they possibly know what long term effects the vaccinations will have? Given that they were rushed through without long term trials.

Or is that a silly question?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Look, unless it is mandatory, I have a choice. I'm making the decision to bar myself from some premises. That's on me. Again, I feel I should point out that I'm totally against the passes.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It’s a genuine question. I’m not a CT. It’s not a rabbit hole I’m willing to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

You're not barring yourself though.

You're being denied access by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Think he’s taking the piss. The CT forum is a total joke anyway. Much easier to discuss the nuances of the situation we find ourselves in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yes, but your being punished for your choices. I feel I was forced to get the vaccine to avoid being severely restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

They think they are providing a vital service for boards, filtering the loons into a pen, until the normal folk end up talking about the very same things after a year or two.

Was just kidding: basically in here you cannot question the efficacy and safety of this treatment, any time you do, using logic reasoning in the same way you did, you are redirected to the CT forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Never let logic stand in the way of a clickbait headline.

"Numbers Breach 1,000 as Omicron Tsunami Wipes Out the Health Service"

The stuff just writes itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont know about you but I have full faith in Pharameutical companies to never take short cuts or adjust data in any way to help them make SNP (Super Normal Profits), thats not how humans work

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Are you joking or you really believe that big pharma were, are and will be acting in good faith and their main interest is the wellbeing of the human race?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

If I was vaccinated, I wouldn't be denied access. That's my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

What is it with people saying things are normal when restrictions are still in place?

I mean, it beggars belief.

Only when we return to 2019 standards of service are we "normal", nothing else is acceptable, and certainly not the "new normal" the Tony cheerleaders are trying to say is "normal".

FFS, being treated like leper and having to present papers to sit inside a cafe with a cup of coffee isn't normal.

Why do people keep making excuses for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I don't feel like I'm being severely restricted. I take my business to places that don't check the passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The answer is that vaccines (unlike a virus) leave the body relatively quickly with the only trace remaining being the antibody/t-cell/b-cell memory caused by the introduced vaccine proteins. The vaccines were primarily tested for safety and for efficacy against severe disease, effects against mild disease were measured but were not the primary outcome. Effects against severe disease have held up well in the long term with the effects against mild disease and transmission waning as antibody count drops (this same thing happens with viral infection just with greater disease risks). Long term immunity is also primarily driven by b and t-cells hence the confidence over long term efficacy.

While there is ongoing safety monitoring (as happens for all medicines) as there is no vaccine components left in the body, it is not seen as a safety threat in the longer term, previous vaccines have all shown side effects within days or weeks of administration, however, there was still months of data gathered during the trials and there is over 18 months worth of data available now with no long term effects noted (and as had been chatted about here, COVID does have measurable long term effects).

And just a note on "big pharma", your AZ vaccine was developed by the non-profit Jenner institute in Oxford, BioNTech and Moderna were both startups. All 3 partnered with existing pharmaceutical companies for manufacturing with Jenner making the formula available to be produced by other institutes (e.g. serum institute of India). China has developed it's own vaccine, as has Cuba, Russia and India. There are vaccines becoming available from Novavax (well known in the vaccine industry) and Valneva are working on delivering a vaccine soon as well. There are ongoing developments of multiple vaccines, some targeting multiple proteins, others looking at nasal delivery.

My taste is still not 100% over six months later and my sense of smell is fúcked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

So? Just dont smell or taste things and you wont have any side effects! duh

Advertisement