Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Very well for the first few months, which to be fair is all we’re signing him for here. If he can improve fortunes until May, while Gerrard has time to continue to bed in his project, then it’s no bad thing.

Lingard at West Ham didn’t go too badly last year and they’ve coped pretty well without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

I wonder what that means for Bailey if Coutinho is on the way? We will hardly keep 2 players of that quality happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Id have similar concerns...but he seems to have a decent attitude from bits Ive read so if its a loan to begin with, im happy enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Not entirely sure how reliable this Twitter account is.

18 month loan deal being mentioned on there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Confirmed on loan till the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Not the most urgent issue to resolve. Would have rather seen Carney get more minutes. Feels like Purslow is signing up the old boys. We’ll probably get Dirk Kuyt next. Still he’s here now and I wish him well. Desperately need a DM and some cover for the full backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

6 month loan to see how he does option to buy of good - seems a good deal.

Still pushes someone developing like Ramsey, Buendia, Carney or Bailey down the playing list

But if he can reclaim his Pool glory days, its still a win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Dirk Kuyt....no

But what's Xabi Alonso up to these days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If Phil is anywhere near his Liverpool days you lads are in for a treat,

Even if he not & your drawing a game against the lesser sides & have Phil he can win them games with moments of magic,

Gerrard won't take anyone not putting it & Phil will know that already, So he must be coming with the mindset to work hard and reignite his career

I can't see an down side to this ,

Certainly raises the profile of the club, more brand recognition etc

You'd hope other players of that stock might consider a move to the club if the move works out.

Be good for the younger lads to train with a star like Coutinho.

On the pitch, I will be hopeful but lack the confidence or belief that the player will gain form and fitness to justify the big layout. Time will tell I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Looks like there is an option to buy at the end of the loan for €40m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭circadian

Bailey has been injury prone so far, it'd be good to see some solid rotation in the squad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Most high profile player to join us since?

Really raises the profile of the club around the world.

Hope this works out

For me a big advantage is the pulling power it will have with regard to other signings for others positions. For example, a DM and LB. Surely we will now be more likely to get (or at least aim for) a higher quality DM and LB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Aaron Hickey, Scottish 19yr old Left Back playing for Bologna being linked in a 10-15m deal

There is no way Villa will be paying 30/40m for Coutinho at the end of the loan as he will be 30 and only have a year left on his Barca deal as well as being on massive wages beyond that fee. Who knows though maybe at that stage Barca will just be happy to keep the majority of his wages off their cash strapped books and his deal could be extended for the following season if everyone is happy.

For 6 months it's a good deal imo. A big step up from Danny Drinkwater and Co.

In an odd move the Daily Mail are linking El Ghazi to West Ham

Wesley has joined Brazilian club Internacional on a 12-month deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Coutinho move is huge, as said it raises the profile of the club but even more important is if it works out. If Coutinho finds his form and club do well then Villa becomes a very attractive option for players of similar quality looking to revive their careers.

Yves Bissouma also being linked. As fsr as doing business in January goes (usually easier in the summer) him, coutinho and competition with a lot of potential (Hickey) for targett at LB would be pretty good going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bissouma has a sexual assault/rape case against him at the moment so I doubt any club will move for him until the matter has been dealt with.

Completely forgot about that but from a quick googling and the timing of these stories perhaps the investigation is finished as a lot of articles about his situation say his bail was extended until nov 6 to allow the investigation to complete but then it was extended for a further 5 weeks for the same reason.

not ideal for a player we are being linked to alright but if the investigation is now complete and he is cleared fully and Villa were to sign him, he is exactly the type of player we need, especially with Nakamba out injured.

perhaps these charges hanging over him until now are why Brighton have not offered him a new deal yet because with 18 months left they might just be willing to sell if offered a decent fee.

“I'm told today Villa are interested in Brighton midfielder Yves Bissouma.

"Now, we do know he is a sought after player. He is into the final 18 months of his Brighton contract. We haven't heard of any talks over a new contract as such right now”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I doubt Bissouma would be playing with charges hanging over him. Normally players don't play with those type of charges active.

The reports are that they remain active but that Brighton are waiting for due process to be followed. Although it seems like full details are hard to come by in these kinds of instances.

He's innocent until proven guilty so his current club are right to play him.

Any interested club would err on the side of caution before paying the £50m rumoured asking price though in case he is found guilty.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. Mendy for instance would never be let near a football pitch. Brighton have likely made a judgement call as to whether he’s likely to be convicted. They’ll face serious backlash if they’re wrong and he is.

Supposedly Villa have bid for 17yr old Dundee CB Kerr Smith that is highly rated and has already been playing in their first team.

Also seeing talk about Luiz only having 18 months left on his deal. Think signing him up could be important as although he hasn't been pulling up trees as of late I would not want to lose him on the cheap, think there would be interest and at only 23 is still young and hasn't hit his peak yet.

Being linked to Digne also who tbh I don't think I want as Everton seem to be looking for close to 30m and their fans don't seem to think he has been great the past year/ Would probably suit Gerrards style but that's a lot of money for someone being pushed out of Everton even if that is cos Rafa doesn't like him more than his supposed underperforming. Apparently his preference is a London move anyway, think he is hoping for Chelsea to move after Chilwell's injury.

Back on the Bissouma link The Mail are claiming that he would be open to moving from Brighton at this time but the athletic say it'd be another record fee needed to prise him away from Brighton mid season

Digne signing is pretty close, can't say I've seen a whole pile of him, is he much of an upgrade on Targett?

Post edited by Esse85 on

He was probably the second best LB in the league two years ago behind Robertson. Was pretty poor for the last 18 months though.

The way ye play should suit him more so I'd imagine he'll reclaim some of his previous form.

From what i read, he wouldnt be a massive defensive upgrade. But would be a lot better going forward. Assuming Coutinho will be on the left side too, we could be very dangerous down that side.

Assuming it is Digne, himself and Coutinho would know each other from their Barcelona days.

• Advertisement

They weren't at Barca at the same time were they? Don't think Digne had that many appearances for Barca.

Coutinho joined in January 2018 and Digne left in August 2018, played just under 30 times for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That's come out of nowhere. Gerrard had made his mind up on Target quick. Digne should be a noticeable upgrade if he gets back to form.

It's in line with how Villa do business these days.

If they want someone, it seems it rarely gets dragged out.

Signed, sealed and delivered with impressive speed. No haggling over half a mill like we did with Robbie Keane or whatever the amount was with Juninho that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Kaine Kesler being recalled from loan on the basis of how well he played against City.

Is Couthino in tonight's squad are has the game come a little early ?

• Advertisement

Too early. Medical today I read. Hopefully good for the weekend

I thought Villa would go younger and perhaps would be concerned by his form the past year or so but Digne seems like it is happening (apparently he has agreed personal terms now) and he does fit Gerrards system, as does Coutinho. Those two combining on the left flank could be very interesting but now more than ever I think we will need a DM recruited and hopefully Luiz to sign a new contract. These signings should show him the ambition the club has and there should be the money for a wage bump too unless he is looking for ridiculous money.

Wonder might Coutinho get paraded in front of the fans tonight.

At Old Trafford, doubtful.

I think it’s a strategic move to increase our position in the market. Get what is needed to make it into top 8 and then you’re in a better position to sign the young players you want to keep you there for the medium to long term. You want to be thinking about the future but the present is important too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement

Attacking line up from Villa. Ings, Watkins and Buendia all start.

Very young bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Two strong teams tonight. Hoping we can nick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Free ball. To do what he liked there.

Shocking defending to concede that goal.

I really think a replacement for Mings/Luiz should be one of the top priorities come the summer.

Vila are very passive here need to come out and ve a little more forceful and aggressive

How does Watkins miss that? He did well to create it but his finishing is championship level.

We've been ok, but we have been sloppy at times in possession in midfield. We've had chances. I don't think we deserve to be behind. But Buendia and Luiz both look frustrated now. Stevie needs to get them into the dressing room.

Luiz is very brain-dead at times.

Disappointing to be 1 down. With better finishing we should be ahead.

Great game for the neutral I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Buendia is really a liability.

For every lovely moment on the ball, he will have given the ball away in dangerous positions 4 times.

Steve g needs to drop him ASAP, he is the biggest issue with this team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement