Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just looked at the fax charts, talk about zonal all the way. Hard pattern to break usually, could be weeks of blustery rail and wind.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I would agree with this, looking at the archive charts would bring a tear to your eye.

For example even average to mild winters such as 1957-8 and 1959-60 could deliver very potent northerly blasts with up to a week of lying snow, a northerly these days is practically T-shirt weather!

As for a big stationary Scandinavian high like in days gone by? Not a chance.

It seems northern blocking is only possible in spring now when the earth tilts towards to sun weakening the PV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭mcburns07

And we’ve done relatively lately for heatwaves. 2013 2018 2021. Swings and roundabouts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Charts look relatively zonal and bleak for the rest of January if you want a cold and snowy period this month. However the ECMWF 42 day range charts are updated twice a week and they are as unreliable as you can get, just like the extended range CFS. In the run up to Christmas they started showing weeks and weeks of high pressure sitting over the UK and Ireland, a week later it updated and showed relentless northerlies and easterlies. None of these scenarios happened other than that tame high pressure which caused so much trouble in the final days before Christmas. Latest ECMWF charts is flat as a pancake with high pressure sitting just to out south all the way out to mid February so i'm not buying that idea either. The ECMWF 42 day charts will be updated again early in the week and they will most likely sing another tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Some of the TV programmes I remember watching during the cold spell of 82 were the indeed the famous 5 and laurel and Hardy. Something that just sticks in my mind for some reason .

• Advertisement

That's the way I used to think back in the 90s and 00s . That we were just being unlucky with the synoptics. That I suppose is part of it but we seem to need more luck to get a decent cold spell now then before. I think climate change is affecting the weather patterns and for us in our little corner of the world we are being affected badly as regards lack of cold spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

There has been little change in the North Atlantic since. It remains firmly in a warm to notably warm state relative to average. There is nothing to suggest a tripole on the horizon that would be conducive to a persistent period of -NAO without influence from other external drivers, nor is there anything to suggest a very +NAO from the SSTs alone as there is no cold blob or reverse tripole, the Atlantic is just warm from top to bottom. What this does mean is anything from the west will be amplified or modified even more than usual. We may have seen this already with the New Year mild spell which could have been amplified from the notably warm Atlantic Ocean.

I do wonder what will be the talking point for this winter "going wrong" as all the signals going into it seemed to favour a cold winter for our part of the world; easterly QBO, a cold North Pacific as compared to the past decade, solar minimum lag, initial weak SPV signals (which did not verify), east Pacific La Nina, strong MJO. There always seems to be one new thing invented or discovered to blame for the winter being mild instead of being a cold, blocked one instead of just accepting where we are in the world. In my view, it's just another example of the geography of our location messing up any chance of cold. There has been notable cold this winter, look at Scandinavia and NE Europe or western Canada.

Last winter was different. There was tons of blocking. It often set up in an ok to good position for advecting cold in our direction but the lack of cold residue on the continent or from the north was a big issue, particularly in late December and early January 2020/21. This was partially the result of persistent blocking around the Urals that just would not let go - but it also perturbed the SPV a lot and led to a major SSW in early January which was succeeded by an easterly in early to mid-February. Then there is the ongoing warming which most certainly had a play in last winter being milder than what it would have been in colder times. The February easterly we were just unlucky (or lucky if you hate snow and severe cold) for the most part in advecting that severe cold unstable air to our shores from the northeast which gave Scotland a severe cold and snowy spell and parts of coastal eastern England did well too.

It's nonsense to say we won't ever get prolonged cold spells again or cold winters. They will happen. People are just negative Nancys - myself included. The fact we managed January 2010 and December 2010 in the same calendar year is exceptional to be honest and in this day and age, I can't think of much years with two such anomalously cold months in the same year in Ireland. Then there was March 2013 which was similarly anomalously cold relative to average, just it was more modified due to the time of year. April 2021 then was another one arguably speaking to some extent but primarily for its cold nights as maxima weren't too far from average. It's all about positioning of the blocking - if somewhere is cold on one side of the jet stream, the other has to be on the mild side. Just that we happen to find ourselves often on the mild side in winter due to our location. I think December 2010 ruined some of my expectations though as that was really a phenomenal month, the coldest month in Ireland since January 1881, that's 129 years! I need to keep reminding myself that.

Growing up as a kid in a period of generally cold/ fairly cold winters from 77 - 87 ,raised my expectations of winters in this country. I expected one good cold spell per winter as often was the case in that period.

My partner's sister lives in Edmonton, Canada.

They're in the middle of their coldest spell since 1969, 13 of the last 15 days have not got above -20C! Lows have been into the -30s at times.

It's interesting that western Canada has has such an eventful weather year, I wonder are these events linked or is it just one of those things.

• Advertisement

It's widely accepted that climate change is resulting in more extreme weather all over the world... yet some poster's are convinced that we're destined for mild blandness devoid of anything of interest. We've already seen unusually dry periods and heatwaves in recent years, inevitably we'll experience noteworthy cold at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I seem to remember January-February 86 being a particularly cold period, with a 6-week freeze; and indeed the summer that year was one of the most miserable I have ever experienced.

I never hear any discussion of it though, perhaps because the weather was overshadowed in the news by the Chernobyl disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tony Manero

I remember February 1986 as being a very cold month too. Little or no snowfall, in the south of the country at least, but biting cold days and nights for most of that month.

I always think of the winter of 87/88 as the winter where our winters started to become milder overall and decent cold spells became fewer from that winter on. Granted the 60s for example were a cold period of winters as was the period 77 -87 so they weren't the norm either but I feel something changed regarding our winters from that winter on....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

February 1986 was indeed a very cold month, likely the second coldest February of the century beaten only by the mighty '47. January 1986 was pretty close to average for its time, didn't stand out but would probably be considered a cold month now. The cold February pattern and conditions lingered on into March. The year of 1986 stands out as very cold as a whole too - February, April, August and September all featured well below average temperatures.

Thing with February '86 was that it was persistently cold rather than recording exceptional lows like January 1979 or December 2010 and any snowfalls there were tended to be very light (more moderate in eastern counties on the 5th/6th) and it was an exceptionally dry month as a result with the month almost universally dominated by easterly flows off the continent throughout. Similarly, the unusually cold and frosty September of 1986 was also exceptionally dry. Both months featured virtually rainless conditions for isolated spots.

The 500mb height synoptic for 5th February 1986 sums up the month well.

RTE Archives shared a couple of broadcasts from the month here: https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21211800-bad-weather/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I remember well waking up one morning in early March and feeling something was wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

When I walked outside the puzzle was solved immediately - the constant east wind of the previous weeks had died and all was still and quiet. Obviously the lack of the wind's sound was what had flummoxed me on waking!

I suspect the windchill resulting from the non-stop wind made the month feel substantially colder than the thermometer was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

We haven’t had an easterly winter month for 36 years, isn’t that shocking.

A Scandinavian high now will last a day or two and sink or collapse, that is the reality of current winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

Eh Feb 1991 there was an easterly, that’s 31 years ago. Also 2009 we had a few days in Feb. February is a winter month?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭pauldry

We really are in a very mild spell since last June. Looked at the monthly data for Athenry for example and temperatures are above normal over 80 per cent of the days. There are a few periods of normal temperatures and then a few slightly cold spells.

I agree there will be severe cold again but these long cold spells ? Can you really see it happening again?

A whole calendar year of milder than average temperatures seems difficult to achieve though so late Winter and early Spring are sure to give us one colder than normal period surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Jesus it’s a dark dank horrible Jan day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

Lovely long walk about the Shores of Lough Ramor today. Chilly enough but by God paths are wet and mucky. Hopefully this dry spell lasts a few days to dry out some of the ground. Id settle for cold and dry at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No he means Feb 86 was an easterly for the whole month. Although I'm not sure boards.ie snowbies could cope with how dry it was if it was ever repeated 🤣

Oh yes Feb 86. There was barely any rain in the West for the whole month. Then in Summer there was floods of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Always the voice of reason. Great informative post as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Anyway, yesterday was a grim day in cork city with a light but persistent mist with some fog mixed in for good measure. It hung around pretty much all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Maybe we need a historical weather thread?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I am going to put my glass half full hat on today. First of all January is a write off regarding snow potential presently..(bear with me) but I do get a feeling that we are going to have either a colder than normal February or March. If this is the case there will definitely be some snowfall and as we saw with Emma ya only need a day or 2 for a memorable event.

Earlier in the Winter the predictions all called for a mild first half or Winter with more colder spells in Part 2. This still seems the most reasoned outcome to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

Well I do hope it’s February and not March as do most people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Have to admit January is a complete right off. I'll be amazed if we do see a big change before the end of the month. The current model output is perhaps the most bland and boring January setup I've seen in years and it's a setup that can go on for many weeks. This may not be as unsettled as the PV winter of 2019/2020 but it's every bit as bad for those who want cold or snow. Even those who like a windy and wild Atlantic winter setup will find this January extremely bland and unsatisfying. There is no guarantee that February or March will deliver, by the time we are done with this bland dry high pressure fest we could easily just go back to the bog standard Atlantic conveyer belt setup. The only reason we are not going through the conveyer belt ourselves is that the jetstream is now beginning to push well to our north and it will stay there for the next 7 to 10 days at least. After that it does look like we may go back to either mild zonality or cool zonality. This very mild to warm setup we have had since June is still here, it has persisted right through the summer, autumn and now the first half of winter. There has only been the odd few days or week which were average or cooler than average and then the warmth pumps back in over us. I thought we would broken this extremely prolonged warmth by now but we haven't and absolutely no signs of it ending any time soon either on the models.

In terms of an SSW we have already missed the boat on that in terms of saving this winter. We may get an SSW sometime in late January or February but that won't have any affect till maybe middle of March.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement