Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I am torn , I want my child in school he has missed so much and he needs the extra help he does an extra class to help him along . Home schooling was not great in my house as I have a special needs child as well .. so home school was a nightmare.

He had been well all over Christmas and thank god covid hasn’t hit us yet , but just two days into the new school term and he is chesty and runny noise , he has asthma so he gets infections very easily.

He rarely complains but he was frozen in school yesterday and his teacher said it barely got about 7 in the classroom .. because he now had symptoms of covid it’s back to antigen tests but I know it’s only a heavy cold and his asthma

I honestly don’t think I can bring myself to send him in on Monday . He wants to be in school with his mates so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

harr - is your child primary or secondary? What kind of extra help? If I can help you with anything, I will, if that makes your decision any easier. I am an English teacher and I've lots of SEN experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi , thanks so much , he is in primary school and just at the moment gets an extra hour a day one on one to help with his math and English. The school in fairness have been excellent and his teacher has set additional home work for him and has adjusted his home schooling work if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Fair play to Sinn Fein calling for another year of predicted grades for the current 6th years.

The minister needs to announce this asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,651 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It is totally incorrect for him to do so. If predicted grades are announced too early, too many students opt for them and give up working. This will effect them at third level. In the end it is the disadvantaged child that will lose in the long term

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Wasn't announced for another 7+ weeks in 2021. I can't see us not having AG this year, but hopefully there will still be exams as there were last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

AG and exams by far the fairest option. I have 6th years this year who have never sat a state exam or even mocks. They have missed So much in person school last year. This year, the student absenteeism rate is hugh with many teachers absent also. Fear now is some will be absent for orals, mocks etc. a very stressful time for these young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

If there is anything I can do, I will, so please PM if there is anything you ever need or are unsure of. I really don't mind. I'm glad to hear that the school have been good to you and to him. I'm not a primary teacher but if I can help in any way would only be too happy to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If we are talking about wasting energy etc. heating is full on for most of the day with windows and doors full open . And who will have to make up the funding shortfall once again( hint : Not the DES)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

And Luke O’ Neill has no qualifications in the area of ventilation but seems to be trotted out as a media darling .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, seems completely pointless as well. Why don’t the teachers just turn off the heating? I send my lot in with blankets and hot water bottles. Eventually got the teacher to agree to fingerless gloves for writing, and letting them keep their coats on.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Sounds like Soviet era Russia.

Grim what our children and teachers are going through in 2022. Shame on Norma Foley and the DES.

Well its 9 or 10 degrees around here at the moment, not quite soviet levels, but yes I wouldn’t like to be sitting down for it.

what happened to the CO2 monitors in classes btw? They were supposed to be used to show when the windows needed to be opened. Another thing bought, left in a corner and ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭KildareP

Most schools did not get one for every classroom.

I have heard several cases where if the windows are closed the monitors will go into red within a matter of minutes and will remain there until windows are reopened again. So in many ways, yes they are mostly now ignored, because you either just accept your windows are permanently open come what may or you close your eyes and quietly unplug the CO2 monitor forevermore...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What's needed in heating upgrades, install IR heat panels on the celling, they heat the objects in the room aka the kids and not the air. You can have the windows open and still be warm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Can anyone say how much the open windows reduce the spread by in situations where there is a positive case in the class? What difference do HEPA filters make? Would it be 20%? More or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It might be time to consider radical change to the school year. Open for another month in the summer, and close in January. That would solve part of the heating problem.

I'm optimistic there won't be another January of open windows and masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭poppers

Suprrise Surprise the TUI and ASTI coming out against it as per irish times today. I'd say their main problem is if it used again the goverment would find it easier to reform the exams process and introduce a continous assessment model and scrap the traditional leaving cert all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Gosh. I can’t understand how they can be against it seeing the stress the students are under. I am a member of the TUI and they haven’t consulted me in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

I'm against it too, at least in last year's guise anyway. I've the course finished in one of my subjects and will be finished next week in the other. I understand not all subjects will be the same but the changes made to mine are more than adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/no-justification-for-hybrid-leving-cert-exams-this-year-say-teachers-unions-1.4772913

The standardisation process used for predicted grades over the past two years requires junior cycle data, however due to the pandemic, some of the current leaving cert students did not sit those exams.

“Advocates for a repeat of the emergency methods are therefore advocating for something that is either impossible or else will be radically changed and involve historical school data that would be hugely unfair for many students,” the TUI added.

Roisin Shortall was making the same point at the weekend so it's not just the unions

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/students-seek-more-choice-in-leaving-cert-exams-given-disruption-1.4772392

Stress is a part of life. From the day we are born we have to cope with stress. The actual event of bring born is one of the most stressful that happens to us. We go from a warm environment where all our needs are met to where we need to start to fend for ourselves by sucking a nipple.

This idea that stress is all evil is not a reflection on life

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

"We go from a warm environment where all our needs are met to where we need to start to fend for ourselves by sucking a nipple."

Doesn't sound sooo stressful...

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

It has started already in my sons class, he is in second class. A few of the kids has had the vaccine and are now saying that they are going to create a vaccine only group, plus are going around saying you have to get the vaccine. Is this what people want? Those who are pushing the vaccine for u12s. I will be speaking to the school principal tomorrow. This is completely unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I'd be against predicted grades this year as well.

Can only speak for my subjects but the changes to papers mean my groups could sit the paper now.

Predicted has broken the CAO college application system. 625 not enough to get some courses. Others getting nearly 100 pts more than they would have gotten and ending up on courses they possibly won't be able for

The exam system isnt fair but its better than the free-for-all we've had the last 2 years.

Post edited by jimmytwotimes 2013 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ainebell

Completely agree with the point you have made, my son is in LC , points will go up, students will not get the courses they want, last year a lot of courses went to random selection , it's not ideal, but an exam is better that predicted grades

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I've a LC kid. Busting arse to do well. But is very nervous of impending dates for certain projects in case she's deemed a close contact, or indeed gets Covid. Or if she gets it in June.

6 teachers from 6 subjects missing today. No online alternative. So it's a study class when courses haven't been completed yet.

The anxiety of needing 600 points for a course that only required 520 or less the year before last is real, no idea if they'll drop to '20 points or not, I suspect not.

I understand that some kids will only take the foot off if PG are brought in now. But surely a blend of PG and marks for exam taken in June might help?

I wonder will points drop to 2020 leveks? I had a LC in 20 too, and while the marking went blaa for some, at least points remained stagnant.

No idea of a solution, but I do believe continuity of the course is not happening, be it teacher or student that is absent due to a close contact or has Covid, it indeed long Covid. It's not level at all this year.

• Advertisement

Genuine question: what do you want the principal to do?

Advertisement