Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

You haven't answered my point that the personal conduct of posters on this thread is below the standard of conduct that they seemingly expect of N.D.

Is bopping someone with a ball worse than exploding with insults and swear-words, like several posters on this thread have done? Its the boards equivalent of smashing your racquet.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

we are talking about mandatory vaccines and there are about 300K people in ireland who dont wish to take them. We all pay taxes its how we have the health system we have we dont pay enough !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

We didn't elect Tony Holohan, that is correct. That is why Tony Holohan does not make laws in this country. He advises the govermnet who in turn make the laws and regulations. Thats how democracy works.

I personally don't hate anyone who chooses not to get a vaccine, but I think they are misguided and selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Given Serbia's recent history, that's quite disgusting. She also equated the hotel to a prison.

I don't think anybody here every needed medical attention after an insult/swear. I wouldn't never call anyone a rat licker. But Djokovic is a proven anti-vaxxer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AngeloArgue

It appears that Australia does indeed make medical exemptions for those unable to be vaccinated to enter Australia. Would a recent covid infection be contraindicated against vaccination?

I agree. I would accept something like 5% increase in income tax to help fund the HSE, get rid of the rot and improve services.

I don't hate anti-vaxxers either. A lot of them I come across have mental health issues. They deserve our empathy, not scorn.

• Advertisement

1. You're right, we didn't elect Tony H. But he holds no power over anybody in the public. He advises the government, who then make decisions based on his (and everyone else's recommendations). So no, we don't live in a regime.
    2. You were talking about the Australian regime, not Ireland's. Which member of the government of Australia is calling the shots and wasn't elected?
    3. People 'on the left' don't hate the unvaxed. They think they're selfish, for the most part, and indifferent to the sufferings of everyone else. If it doesn't affect them, then everyone else can fcuk off because they're numero uno in their own eyes.......pointing out their lack of empathy has nothing to do with hatred and the victim complex portrayed by most is yet another example of their raging hypocrisy. "Oh my gawwwd, whaddya mean I have to wear a mask......Rosa Parks and the 6 million jews, I know how you felt"
    4. There's no such thing as mandatory vaccines, either here or in Australia. We never will have them. IF they ever try to bring it about, I'll be (socially distanced) shoulder to shoulder with you and everyone else protesting about it.

We pay far too much for the health system we have. Ireland has amongst the highest expenditures on health to GDP ratioa in the OECD, and amongst the worst outcomes for the amount of money spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Is everyone who chooses not to get vaccinated an anti-vaxxer? That's 10% of the population we ought to put in a mental institution. Maybe your 5% extra income tax would fund this.

Thought it was more like 5-6%. I think your mindset of treatment of mental illness is a bit in the dark ages. Long gone are the days of locking you up in a "mental institution" and thank God for that.

You seem a bit prone to hyperbole.

The HSE got an extra 4 billion on top of the 21 billion they normally get. What did they do with it? Services are worse than ever. Money isn't the issue with the HSE - it's one of the best funded health services in europe with one of the youngest populations.

It's really not. Also, having worked in both the UK and Ireland across multiple roles. Inpatient care is better in Ireland than the UK. We fall down in public health and primary care.

• Advertisement

So what do you suggest then? Should we put anti-vaxxers through some kind of re-education program?

Djokovic got a visa to enter Australia. What is happening to him now is a disgrace and a show trial. The Aussies should be ashamed of themselves.

1. He shouldn't have gotten one in the first place
    2. If they issued it by mistake, or it was wrong, they should have put him on he first flight home

And whether he wants to get vaxed or not should be his choice.

And on a more general point, the Aussies have been a disgrace since their zero COVID attempt failed. They were lackadaisical with their vaccination programme until Delta took off, and then implemented fascist dictatorship levels of coercion to get everyone vaccinated, even hauling off aboriginal communities to camps. Shameful stuff that doesn't belong in a modern democracy.

What are you on about? Re-education program? Do you think that that is how psychiatry in Ireland works? You don't really seem to have a clue about mental illness/psychiatry if you think that is how you treat it.

Enlighten me then. What do you think we should do with anti-vaxxers? Also are all those who choose not to get vaccinated considered anti-vaxxers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i lived in Australia years ago and the average aussie i met was very slavaphobe, and Asian and Turks and of course brits (who isn't) but it might have changed since then

News reports saying that the Australians will make a decision on whether or not to deport him anyway tomorrow Tuesday

Completely agree with this. While I fully support Djokovic, I can't help but be a bit peeved that he didn't see this stunt coming! You could smell it from a mile off and he should have pulled out of the tournament and not associate himself with a nation of pushovers.

It doesn't really matter at this stage as the virus is endemic. They'll continue to clog up hospital beds in short to medium term and covid will cause a few preventable deaths in them every year. But my body, my choice, eh.

I guess the anti-vaxxers won by increased mortality vs the vaccinated from covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Not really surprising when you read what they did to aboriginals previously, like the stolen generation for example.

Given the wildcard factor of fake Australian toughness he may well be sent packing.

I guess this is where we proceed to the "disproprotionate representation of antivaxxers in ICU" debate. The debate the government want us all to have despite them vehemently opposed to giving us the data on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah bit ridiculous. Heard her chattin about prison also. People getting shanked and murdered 30 people to a cell in the worst prisons in the world and poor Novak has to spend a few days in a hotel. I think he'll survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

Yes, and someone who has almost 9000 posts on this website and about 200 posts on this thread alone arguing is the picture of mental health. Christ almighty, the lack of self awareness of these people is incredible.

The way they love to pigeon hole and make stereotypes is amazing. I know a woman from a conspiracy theorist family. They pretty much go along with all the theories and believe it's mainly a hoax. She is a hairdresser and she got covid but continued to work. Now in your binary world, she is a selfish scumbag who should be derided. Her life doesn't entirely revolve around Covid so she is evil. In reality she is one of the most gentle and kind people you could meet. She does and has done more charity work than anyone I know. She cuts the hair of some fairly disgusting bachelor farmers who can't look after themselves properly (not that farmers are disgusting but some of these lads are very isolated and have a lot of mental health issues and simply do not have any standards of hygeine). When my mother said to her that they must be bad for business she snapped back "they are humans too Capras mom, someone has to look after them". She also gave an apprenticeship to a traveller girl when most people wouldn't.

People like you need to **** off and stop trying to make everything totally black and white. Good vs evil.

Particularly when you delude yourself into thinking you are always on the side of good despite doing nothing other than typing **** on a keyboard.

• Advertisement

The Australian citizens couldn't enter Australia because of the rules that were set, but you seem to think Djokovic should be allowed an exemption from the rules that were set and be treated better than Australian citizens like me? That's what Djokovic has to do with that - trying to get around the rules because he's an antivaxer and feels he's entitled to 'special' treatment. Quite frankly, I don't believe his 'positive test' should be accepted at face value either, given his prior nose thumbing at the pandemic and stunts that got people infected. Given the partisan attitudes displayed by the Serbian government, they would have given him a positive test result for smallpox if he'd asked for it.

Some of those others are alread home by now:

"Czech tennis player Renata Voráčová deported from Australia after visa cancellation" so just stop with this 'it's only Djokovik' nonsense.

He wasn't fully endorsed by the Federal government, quite the opposite:

"Federal health authorities told Tennis Australia boss Craig Tiley on two occasions in writing that people who were not vaccinated and had contracted COVID-19 in the past six months would not be granted quarantine-free travel to Australia.

The emergence of two letters from the Department of Health and Health Minister Greg Hunt in November casts doubt over why tennis star Novak Djokovic was granted an exemption to play in the Australian Open by health panels set up by Tennis Australia and the Victorian government." https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/letters-from-federal-government-cast-doubt-on-djokovic-exemption-20220106-p59mbd.html

The Federal government doesn't have to bend or suspend it's rules, just because a sporting body bent/ignored the rules out of convenience for their sport and tournament. They need dealing with as much as Djokovic does.

The question now is will the government that has stood up to threats and bullying by China, cave to the prima donna antics of of piddling little tennis brat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Vehemently opposed? Reports on that seems to be pretty easy to find.

Other documents mention a 9:1 ratio based on proportions.

So yes there is a disproportionate of unvaxxed versus vaxxed people in ICU.

Last Tuesday ->

When asked about the controversial call, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said: "Well, that is a matter for the Victorian government.

"They have provided him with an exemption to come to Australia, and so we then act in accordance with that decision."

ScoMo was then pressed on whether he thought it was the right decision to make given Australia's current climate.

"Well, that's how it works," Morrison said.

"States provide exemptions for people to enter on those basis, and that's been happening for the last two years. So there's no change to that arrangement.

"The Victorian government made their decision on that. And so I'd have to refer to the Victoria Government about their reasons for doing so."

The Australians put in a place a process and Djokovic and the others applied to the process.

The Prime Minister clearly understood it

Renata was turfed out after the fact after she had been let in to try to make it look like "retrospective consistency"

It was too late for her to launch an appeal as it would have been too near the tournament for a hearing.

Every side from Tennis Australia to the State Government to the Federal are leaking letters to try to make it look like it was someone else's fault

Nobody has the full chain of correspondence

Take a read of this article from yesterday

A series of leaked letters to and from Tennis Australia in the lead up to Novak Djokovic being denied entry to Australia show doubt and confusion over whether it was a state or federal government responsibility to give exemptions from Australia’s double-vaccination immigration regime.

The letters show an adviser to Australia’s Chief Medical Officer, Paul Kelly, saying the exemption question was a matter for Victoria, and Victorian Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton implying the same thing.

First of all, the level of anger in your post is frightening. I hope you are alright!

Secondly, if she continued to cut people's hair whilst covid positive, that is a bad decision. Don't think she is necessarily an evil person but fear for her business if it was known that she continued to cut people's hair whilst covid positive, I imagine she wouldn't be in business for much longer (same as if health and safety closed down a chipper because it had a rat infestation). It just seems a bit.... dirty.

@cnocbui 'The Australian citizens couldn't enter Australia because of the rules that were set, but you seem to think Djokovic should be allowed an exemption from the rules that were set and be treated better than Australian citizens like me?'

You receive poor treatment from your Government because Dan Andrews and Scott Morrison are low quality pols. Zero covid was a total failure, the wrong policy, so all that's left is the fake toughness that Australians pride themselves on.

Yes they should give an exemption to Djokovic and other players. Why are they holding a tennis tournament in the middle of an 'emergency' anyway? If you're going to hold a tennis tournament, make it easy for the recognised seeded players to get in.

Yes, when you lump data into 6 month time frames you know they are hiding the data.

What has you paying 5% more income tax to fund the HSE got to do with Djokovic?

Just suggesting doing my bit for the greater good. Anyway, it's off topic.

How is any of that Djokovic's fault? It's the Australian government that implemented these laws, messed up on vaccinations, and granted his visa. It isn't Djokovic stopping 65000 Aussies from returning home.

• Advertisement

I'm angry because I'm sick of talking to lads like you who seem to think they have all the science backing them up and simultaneously memory hole all the bad science they once claimed was indisputable fact. You ignore science that doesn't agree with you, you will never ever acknowledge when the other person you are talking to has a point, you would prefer chastise someone for disagreeing with and get some thumbs up from people who agree with you than actually be seen to treat them with any degree of respect. And you do it all so nonchalantly. You have absolutely no idea how divisive your behaviour is. People like you never ever succeed in convincing others of the merits of their argument as it always come from a place of smug self righteousness. I see the merits of vaccination for the vulnerable and elderly. I would never try to dissuade someone in those categories from getting it. I also see the evidence of young people in my own sport and in clinical trials who have received life altering injuries as a direct result of the vaccine. I posted two videos of girls who were rendered unable to walk due to Covid vaccine reactions and more than 6 months later are still unable to walk unaided. (some scumbag mod deleted it though). You and others like simply do not acknowledged that these people exist and when you do you says it's exceedingly rare while making no attempt to see if it actually is that rare.

How you cannot see how divisive the way people like you talking down to others is always amazes me. It just shows a total inability to look outside yourself or to step into the footsteps of another.

It is f'n easy for the tennis players to get in, just get vaccinated! If Djokovic had just spent a few minutes getting vaccinated this thread wouldn't exist.

As for Australias fake toughness: them standing up to China wasn't fake. The thousands of live Australian crayfish that slowly died and suffocated from the heat on Chinese docks as retaliation wouldn't have thought it was fake, if they could think, of course.

Them not putting up with the French BS of dragging their feet on the submarine contract, not performing and dumping all the technical documentation for the project in their lap - written in French - and telling them to learn french or pay to get it translated, wasn't fake to the French.

Out of curiosity, what ailment did they suffer secondary to covid vaccination that effected their ability to walk? Was it Guillan Barre Syndrome?

What science am I ignoring?

If Australians were as hardy as they make themselves out to be they would not be hiding under the blankie from covid which is little different to similar events from the past like the 1968 Hong Kong flu pandemic.

Watching the frozen-eyed Dan Andrews continually bully the entire state of Victoria has been pathetic. He shouldn't be separating families and barring people from their parent's funerals and ordinary Aussies shouldn't be letting him get away with it

As someone on another thread said, the ordinary person's anger has dissociated and transferred from a scary source (the Oz government and militarised police) to a not-scary target (Djokovic).

l also see the evidence of young people in my own sport and in clinical trials who have received life altering injuries as a direct result of the vaccine. I posted two videos of girls who were rendered unable to walk due to Covid vaccine reactions and more than 6 months later are still unable to walk unaided.

My two neighbours, my friend's mother and the mother's friend, along with about 5 others I knew personally are also unable to walk for the past 6 months plus because, y'know, they died of covid in late 2020. How's about that for life altering.

People who are vaccine hesitant for fear of what it may do to them (through unsubstantiated internet rumours) should cop the fcuk on and ask themselves why they aren't "Covid hesitant", given everything we do know about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I tell ya one thing, whether you're pro vaccine or anti vaccine or pro Nole or anti Nole or pro Serbia or anti Serbia or pro Australia or anti Australia....you cannot but admire the man's resiliency and fortitude and unwavering belief...

Go and win number 21, Nole!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Shame it looks like he's getting deported tomorrow and barred for three years.

And all of these people that you know who died were teenage girls? That's absolutely tragic. I heard nothing in the news about that.

Are the oz police militarised? I've never been.

The only people I ever hear with either lots of friends and family having lots of vaccine injuries or whole swathes of them dying from COVID are online. I never meet people like this in real life. Very strange that.

On the COVID one, unless the family lives in a nursing home, it's highly unlikely statistically. It reminds me of people I meet who had family members involved in the 1916 rising. There must have been about half a million people in the GPO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement