Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

have had issues with two diff dual sense now, one the r2 became loose and then the other was drifting really annoying, but the real annoyance is on my copy of ff remake.

Any time I put the console into sleep mode and restart I get an error message and the machine has to boot itself back up losing progress ( thank god for generous checkpoints) has anyone had this issue as it seems specific to the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Very rarely. And it's usually €5-€10 at best (which may get nuked by postage costs depending on the retailer).

Dualsense tip I learned today so apologies if its known by everyone but if you hold the Mic button on your Dualsense (rather than pressing it to mute your mic) it mutes all sound which is rather handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Not taking pre-orders for the PS5 or not taking pre-orders full stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Not taking pre-order for the psvr2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

@jj880 I don't have a set up, per se. I run the cable from the front of the PS4/5 around a chair, then up my back, but I give a bit of slack at the back of the headset and loop the cable through a belt buckle, just pull it thorugh a bit, no tying or anything, the loop should stop it coming back out. This stops it from moving/pulling on the back of the headset also. I've a small area to work with though, so I don't move much in general, and as a result haven't played many games where movement is standard. But the loop through the belt buckle stopped a lot of chord issues for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

DF have a video up about the PSVR2.

Half an hour is a small one?! Anyone have a tl:dw version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Watched it last night, from what I can remember it was more or less:

• Generally very positive
    • Surprised at how powerful it was
    • Specs are comparable to high-end PC headsets, exceeding them in some cases
    • OLED screen and HDR could make a big difference to the inherently dimmer image found in most headsets
    • Eye tracking and foveated view could be huge, could free up overhead processing power and make games look better
    • Could be very good for the PC VR market, particularly higher-end games like Alyx. They mention that this game set a new benchmark in immersive VR gaming but no one has followed up as the market has moved in the casual direction due to the success of the Quest
    • The controllers are comparable to the quest 2, massive improvement on PSVR1. Haptics in the headset could be very good if used well and very annoying if not.
    • Speculation on the software. Alyx would make sense for Valve and Sony, RE8 too. Sony continuing to support VR makes non-casual-VR games less risky for devs
    • Backwards compatibility would be very tricky, not just because of the move controllers but the games that relied on the lightbar on the Dualshock 4 have no natural way of being replicated either. Something like RE7 which used neither would be a good fit. Expect lots of VR modes for standard games.
    • John speculates that it shouldn't and won't cost more than $499, not sure how they manage this with all that tech in it.

There might be more but that's what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

^ great summary! 👍🏻

Yeah, top marks there for the summary! It sounds good in fairness. I'm hoping it's a massive hit, VR is still untapped and the potential is there, just the tech (size) holding it back.

Yeah it will need to be mirroring gamepass to be seen as anything other than a success and it's forever going to be compared to it.

I can't see it going to a day one model similar to gamepass but if for example demon's souls, miles morales or say ghosts of tsushima aren't on there for ps5 it's poor.

Not surprisingly on the thread in general gaming majority are advising to try pick a series X over ps5 if new to gaming as gamepass is the casual gamers dream and if ubisoft is added the same was EA was its gonna get better.

I really hope Sony do something as good and don't balls this up as the blueprint is there to what people want and expect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

Even with what you said about people being recommended the Series X for casual gamers, all of my sons friends / classmates / cousins... got the PS5 for Christmas. I don't actually know anyone who got an XBox.

I think XBox sales will grow when people are buying a 2nd console for a household. I have a PS5 and would consider an XBox in a few years to use GamePass to play the backlog I have missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Don't think I'd be bothered with Sony's 'gamepass' if their own games won't be on the service day one, and that's a tough ask to be fair as Sony's games sell so well I just can't see them being included that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They're probably getting PlayStation because that's what their friends are getting.

I bet they don't give a crap about exclusives or anything like that because if they're like my younger cousins they're only bothered with Minecraft, FIFA and Fortnite. And if that's what they are playing it doesn't matter if you've a PC, PS4, Xbox etc.

Well as we know kids will do as other kids do and some parents who know no different will pick up whatever they are asked to pick up. Surely nobody can say if purchasing a console for kid a Playstation makes more sense, outside of playing with what their peers have.

I was more talking about people making a conscious choice to pick something up and when question what is the best choice on the market its leaning in favour of Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

They could merge psn now and ps plus but keep it at 60 a year and it still wouldn't be a patch on gamepass. As above, they need to add more 1st party titles like GoT, Miles Morales, etc. I'm not expecting them to be added day one but at least after a year of not sooner. I have low expectations anyway. Sony know they don't need to compete with GP fully so can't see the effort being there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

They definitely won't be included, they have said multiple times that it doesn't make sense for them financially. I am actually fine with that as long as they commit to having every single first-party game over 2 years old on it day one, and commit to a timeframe for when future releases will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think if they put any kind of timeframe on when 1st party games eventually come to PS+/Now, sales of the games would take a big hit at launch as people will just hold off for a lot of them. Maybe not GOW/Spiderman/TLOU, but some of the lesser ones like Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone etc would be ones people would hold off on if they knew they'd get it free in 6-12 months.

I don't think anything they do will match Gamepass as they don't have the financial warchest Microsoft has to support it, especially as games become bigger and more expensive. But they need to get much closer to it than they have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Sony released the top 20 download lists for PS5, PS4, PSVR and Free to Play:

Miles Morales (PS5) is the highest 1st party game (3rd US and Canada, 4th in Europe), FIFA takes 1st AND 3rd spot in Europe, and nice to see Among US and Kena in the top 10 in Europe.

Sony won't be going 1:1 with Gamepass, and it doesn't need to anyway. Combining Now and Plus with some added nuance or minor additions, assuming the price point is reasonable will be a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Cotts72

While now and plus are decent in comparison to GP I think the one advantage GP has that new games release on GP. Definitely easier on the wallet ha

a lot of practices MS do are much easier on the wallet and make gaming within friends and family much easier, A guy I worked with near 6 years ago is still my game sharing buddy and all games we buy are half price and we do the same on PS but the deals are rarely as good.

I hope from this we get alot more ps4, 3, 2 and 1 games on this new service, we know its doable and whilst may not be perfect it would be appreciated (would make my yearly play of shadow of memories probably a bi annual thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This just goes further to prove that most people buying consoles don't care about exclusives and as long as it can play FIFA/Fortnite you're golden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's the thing: 'enthusiast' gamers may care a lot about exclusives, GamePass, PS+ freebies, remasters etc etc... But for a huge amount of people a video game console is a machine to play new FIFA and Call of Duty and a few big-name franchises, and a next-gen console is just a machine to continue playing them with better graphics. It's totally removed in many ways from the chatter you hear on forums and from the gaming press, even though the 'enthusiast' audience is hardly an insignificant bloc!

Wasn't there already a leak with potential tiers, seemed about right to me. Normal Plus as it is now, Plus with Now, and Plus with Now and games from PS3 and 2. They did day first party games won't be Day 1 already, as people pointed out Sony don't have the bank vault MS do.

I'm more interested in seeing what they do with current subs, Plus is active until May, Now until June with me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement