Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I’ve never been a big fan of Novak, but at least he has the common sense to stay relatively quiet about this and is not all over social media shouting and screaming

In contrast, for the Oz government, Djokovic’s family (especially his loony dad), the jingoistic arses camping out outside the hotel and waving Serbian flags, and the media (for hyping this up and putting it as headlines news) this is an utterly embarrassing clusterfuck

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

You should count your lucky stars, so. Everybody in my large circle of friends knows at least one person by name who has passed.

Ironically, the only people who have told me they've heard of anyone who had complications from the vaccine (and well know many more people who've been vaccinated than who've had covid, remember) seem to be all rabid anti-vaxxers, pushing an agenda. Funny that.

2 of them under 30, none of them over 65. Why would you expect them to make the news? Do you not believe anything until it makes the news? I mean, technically they were included in the stats on the news some time after they passed, but you'd want to be a right weirdo to be looking out for that kinda stuff.

How fcuking selfish of you!

You could have plunged to your death and then all our taxpayer money would be spent on recovering your shattered corpse. Those emergency crews who came to recover what's left of you...you put their lives in danger. And you had the audacity to take up a coveted fridge in a morgue and put an unnecessary burden on the mortuary staff. I hope you're happy with yourself.

My OH is a physio. A colleague of hers developed narcolepsy after taking a vaccine (SARS or Swine flu, can't remember). Effectively her life is ruined. Can't drive a car. Can't go anywhere unaccompanied. Can't work in her field of expertise.

Standing on the side of a cliff and risking your own neck is one thing.

IF falling to your death was contagious, however, and you sitting on the side of the cliffs of Moher followed by shaking hands with someone meant they were likely to fall off a cliff, that's a whole other ball game, isn't it?

Imagine you took your selfie, then met an old friend and shook their hand, they then go home and hug their granny and the granny dies of catastrophic cliff-falling injuries that they caught from you......would you be suitably ashamed? Or would you walk around the funeral home, shaking hands with all the other vulnerable people, whispering "my body, my choice....sorry for your loss"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Everyone in the country is getting covid now despite 94% vaccination rate.

Effectively the vaccines have failed to halt the spread, and no I don't want to see some 12-month old statistics showing that they theoretically stop spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

Have a female friend suffering from peripheral neuropathy since jab number 2. She won't get any subsequent jabs.

But im sure some internet heroes can call her a ratlicker and antivax scum to scorn her into an about turn.

not to mention defecating in public on the way down. Take the fine out of my estate that I left to my fully vaxxed mother, rat licking brother and partially vaxxed sister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Would it? Who knew boards had come many experts on the Serbian health system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Sounds like you're describing an ex-girlfriend of mine.

Though I disagree on calling anti-vaxxers ratlickers. I'm not vaccinated, but I'm not anti-vax either. I take every precaution not to catch Covid and not to endanger anyone else. And I'm sure most anti-vaxxers do likewise.

I don't think so. I think he shot a police man in the face.

Unless its Gazza you are on about. Im not sure of his stance on immigration but he was seen on a body of water with jimmy 5 bellies in a collapsed pedalo.

Really? HSE don’t send messages after 10pm.

Source: HSE Covid hotline when I called them as I hadn’t received my results within 48 hours (they’ve changed it to 72 hours now due to volume). If you’ve got to spoof you're not worth engaging with.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

Wow, that's incredible. So you personally know 2 of the 26 people under the age of 34 who have died of Covid over the course of 2 years in this country? That's incredibly unlucky. And those two people were in the prime of their health no doubt? Not overweight or with any chronic health issues?

Yeah, people who look up CSO stats are total weirdos aren't they? Crazy lads.

The reason you haven't heard about people who say they know someone who has been vaccine injured is because they self censor around people like yourself. I never talk about this in real life unless the other person sounds skeptical about the vaccine/covid policy and even then I'd broach it with great caution. I've mentioned my views to one pro lockdown person and just got a 15 minute scalding so it's not really worth talking about it to people who won't listen. Some people completely shut down when they think you don't agree with them and I've better things to do than fall out with people over health policy.

One person I know won the lottery. One person I knew was murdered and 4 I knew committed suicide. I don't know a single person who has died from Covid. Not a one.

I know 3 who have died from cancer under the age of 45. Don't know a single person who has died from Covid. I know 4 people who were killed in road accidents. I don't know one who died from Covid. I know a girl who was blown to bits in the Bali Bombing. I don't know a soul who died from Covid.

Now they say that your odds of winning the lottery are in the hundreds of millions to one and likewise for dying in a terrorist attack. FCUK me.....I know one in each category. Can any statistician combine those two and give me the odds. And yet I know not a single person who has died from Covid.

One suicide and one attempted suicide in my family during lockdown.

Don't know a single person who was hospitalised because of covid.

Not one....in two years.

Some serious Bengal Lancers in this thread.

With all 11 of their grannies deceased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Really? Just like how you said this morning that he had been immediately rearrested after he won his court case. I'm still waiting on that source. Oh wait... he wasn't. 🤣

The Australian government have enough egg on their face and made a laughing stock of themselves in front of the world. I don't think they'll do anything more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was almost as bad as the Garth Brooks fiasco

What's an anti-vaxxer? What's a pro-vaxxer?

These terms are trotted out without the slightest bit of thought. If someone chooses to not take a vaccine or get a vasectomy or have sugar in their tea or be circumcised or get breast implants....are they "ANTI" these procedures or are they just saying "you can do it if you want to...me I choose not to" ??

You can take all the vaccines that you want. Nobody is stopping you. You can rock down an alley like a junkie behind a skip everyday if you want and shoot up with Moderna's latest. Go for it. Just don't call others anti-vaxxers because they choose not to do what you want to do and obviously what you want THEM to do as well.

And please don't peddle this claptrap about those who choose not to get vaccinated as if they are a public health risk or that they are selfish or that they could potentially clog up the ICU. Such gibberish. People who don't dress appropriately and a cold snap comes in clog up the ICU. People who get plastered on a Saturday night do the same. People who play sports, eat crap food, have sex,

I wonder could the government make a course in statistics mandatory then I wouldn't get such a pain in my head when reading threads like these.

Point out where on the covid website it says that because you were either misled or are spoofing.

I also know of someone in the area who won the lotto jackpot. Twice. Imagine that.

Statistical improbability means **** all in the grand scheme of things when you're talking about millions of people and tens of millions of vaccine doses.

I get ya BurgerFace. It's a conspiracy. You know best.

• Advertisement

I rang them. 1800 700 700. They are extremely helpful and extremely well informed.

People with complications from the vaccine aren't telling others about it because they'll be told they're lying? And this is all in your head, of course, you've nothing to back this up, other than your Walter Mitty-esque musings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My best guess yes.

I have been at public sector conferences more focussed on cyber security but it also covered robotics...Serbia are pretty rapidly advanced and advancing in these kind of areas.

Do you have more specific knowledge in the area?

I received a result back in Jan of this year after 11. I remember because I remember waking up to the text.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Always online never in real life. They are lunatics man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The covid virus has killed 5 million, and as far as I am aware the vaccine has killed nobody. Do the maths instead of pretending to be a medical expert on this topic.

By not taking the vaccine, you are risking other peoples health. If people want to be idiots, let them die I say, but don't take out innocent people with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Since when has the vaccine killed nobody?

I'm very much pro vaxx and I'm boosted and all that jazz, but people have absolutely died as a result of the vaccine, such as the radio host in the UK last year.

Many, many, many more have died from covid though, obviously.

Ha, this just sums it up doesn't it? You cannot help but assume the very worst of those with different opinions can you? It just doesn't compute with you that I'm a masters graduate with a good job and social life and not some sort of Walter Mitty loner who trawls the Web for extremist websites and fake news. You have to build this characature of people in your mind.

Anyway, speaking of Walter Mitty....are you still persisting with the claim that you know almost 8% of all the people in Ireland under the age of 35 who have died of Covid? What are the odds of that? There are about 2 million people under the age of 30 in Ireland, approximately 15 of them have died from Covid (i think it's safe to assume many of the deaths in the 0-35 cat will come from the 30-35 age bracket). The average persons know what? 200 people? So there is roughly a 1 in 10,000 chance of you knowing any random under 30 year old person that exists in ireland.....yet some how you know 2 of the 15 people under the age of 30 who have died of Covid?

That is truly remarkable. Some would even say unbelievable and downright implausible. What would you say to those people?

A radio presenter did die in the UK due to complications related to vaccine. Very sad case. Risk is still extremely low but risks with any drug/medication.

That was the UK vaccine the Brits allegedly steamrollered out without full testing and was banned in many EU countries.

The vaccines that have been fully tested have caused no complications or deaths.

It was Astra Zeneca that Lisa Shaw had a fatal reaction to ....... the same vaccine most Irish healthcare workers have and anyone in this country who is over 60 .

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-58330796

Has no one in Ireland had the astrazeneca vaccine? I had it in NI. But I am pretty sure people in ROI have had it?

I honestly think you are wrong of course it has caused a small percentage of complications....all medications can have side effects

• Advertisement

WTF are you banging on about Masters and social life for? What has that got to do with the price of turnips? You literally invented an implausible scenario in your mind to explain away the fact that I, and everyone I know, have not heared of anything worse than a sore arm as a result of the vaccine, then have the gall to suggest I'm making sh1t up.

For the record, I know about 200 people living just on my road and the next one over. And that's before maybe 40 friends, plus their families, their partners, their partners families, work colleagues, ex-work colleagues, school/college friends, lads off the team, etc. We're easily talking 1000 folks that I know on a first name basis at least. Your good social life mustn't be that great if you only know 200 folks.

As for what I'd say to folks who think it's untrue, I'd say "I couldn't give a flying fcuk what you think, your opinion means less than nothing to me."

Believe it. Don't believe it. Makes no odds to me. Your maths is seriously flawed though. The auld pro covid crowd aren't really renowned for their statistical analysis though, so that's okay. Do yourself a favour.... Calculate a) how many people your age or younger have died from covid in Ireland out of the total case numbers and b) how many of your age and younger who have died from vaccine complications out of the total number of doses delivered.

I guarantee you a is magnitudes bigger than b, and I also guarantee that is replicated in every country in the world. Anyone refusing the vaccines due to the chances of something going awry while they ignore the greater chances of it happening with covid, is a fool. "Well if I get the vaccine there's an x% chance of me dying, so I'll take my chances with covid, even though there's a 10x% chance of me dying"

Hope that masters wasn't in mathematics

I looked into vaccine safety before and the UK has good data (see link)

in about 49 million AZ shots in the UK 75 people have died but that's not used anymore really

It's a lot less in the case of Pfizer with 4 deaths for also about 47 million doses that I can see

Fatal events around the time of vaccine are investigated

Obviously 150,000 people have died from Covid in the UK

There is other data available here also on the famed "myocariditis" etc

A lot of people who are against vaccines don't seem to be familiar with the concept of statistics

Up to 22 December 2021, the MHRA had received Yellow Card reports of 29 cases of major thromboembolic events (blood clots) with concurrent thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts) in the UK following use of the COVID-19 Pfizer/BioNTech Vaccine. These events occurred in 11 females, and 18 males aged from 18 to 91 years, and the overall case fatality rate was 14% with four deaths reported.

Up to 22 December 2021, the MHRA had received Yellow Card reports of 430 cases of major thromboembolic events (blood clots) with concurrent thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts) in the UK following vaccination with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca. Forty-eight of the 430 reports have been reported after a second dose. Of the 430 reports, 216 occurred in females, and 210 occurred in males aged from 18 to 93 years. The overall case fatality rate was 17.-% with 75 deaths, six of which occurred after the second dose.

It's confirmed, you are indeed a clown with no ability to reason with opinions that differ from yours.

As I said, 26 people my age or younger have died with covid in Ireland. Every single one of them had serious comorbidities. Not a single one of them would have been consideted healthy. You claim to have known 2 of these 26 people and you fail to mention what other illnesses they had. Or are you trying to claim they were in the fullness of their health? You're a bullshitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭kerry_man15

You need to show proof that you cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. Having Covid in the past 6 months is not a valid reason to get around the fully-vaccinated requirement as stated clearly by the Aus govt.

From the above website...

"If you are coming to Australia and have a medical contraindication recorded in the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) you can show an Australian COVID-19 digital certificate to airline staff. You can otherwise show your immunisation history statement.

If you do not have your medical contraindication recorded in the AIR you will need to show airline staff a medical certificate that indicates you are unable to be vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine because of a medical condition. The medical certificate must be in English and include the following information:

• your name (this must match your travel identification documents)
    • date of medical consultation and details of your medical practitioner
    • details that clearly acknowledge that you have a medical condition which means you cannot receive a COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination is contraindicated).

Airlines are responsible for ensuring your proof meets these requirements."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jaysus on a bike.

The Covid pandemic has highlighted some fantastic people and some instances of real care for others.

But by fook it has also highlighted some right knobends and some right selfish beahviour by some who give the two fingers to others.

And a lot of the very vocal anti vaccine brigade fall into this latter category.

And Djokovic firmly falls into the latter category.

Fair enough he is anti vaccine, he might like others be wary of introducing something into his body.

I can somewhat understand that, but the other things he has done and said means he is a grade A plonker.

He went out of his way to organise a tennis tour that threw out the rules and recommendations about distancing to prevent the spread of it.

The tour had to be cancelled in the end.

Then he and his missus starts spouting absolute nonsense about water and 5G.

We would laugh at some Chinese dude rubbing a seahorse on his mickie to make it bigger, we would have lambasted idiots in Africe that proffered hairbrain ideas to counter AIDS, but then we have people backing this numpty from Serbia who espouses absolute rubbish.

FFS.

And as for this shyte about left and right.

WE ARE NOT FOOKING AMERICANS.

People in this part of the world can have views that are liberal on some topics and yet be conservative on other issues.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

So anyhow does it look like Novak will play in the Open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭kerry_man15

From. Australian news website...

The decision to revoke his visa under Section 116 of the Migration Act was “unreasonable”, because Djokovic had been told, at 5.20am on January 6 that he could have until 8.30am to respond to officials.

However, the call to cancel the visa happened before that deadline, at 7.42am, robbing Djokovic of time he could have used to “consult others” and make further submissions on his own behalf.

The world number one tennis player is unvaccinated but claimed he had a medical exemption which would allow him to enter Australia and play in the Australian Open.

In a submission to the court, Djokovic’s lawyers revealed he contracted Covid-19 in December, which was the basis for his exemption application.

However, a letter from Health Minister Greg Hunt to the CEO of Tennis Australia, which was made public in recent days, noted that people who had tested positive to Covid-19 within six months did not meet available exemption requirements to enter the country.

The Australians are making a call on Tuesday on whether to deport him anyway, despite the judge "un-cancelling" his visa.

Should know by tomorrow morning Irish time.

Hopefully, he gets his comeuppance for his general behaviour on 16-18th December.

• Advertisement

At this stage the Australian politicians would be doing it mainly out of spite as they look like prize muppets after the happenings of the last week.

They don't give a rashers about what he was or was not doing in Serbia.

Advertisement