Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think they are looking to NPHET to get their approval so to use it as part of a legal argument.

Their basis being we are under a state of emergency, NPHET think it's a good idea, so we can bring it in.

Their question according to news sources was to work out the legal and ethical validation of it. NPHET are the ethical side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He didn't rule it out at all. He just said voluntary vaccination was his preference and cited it has worked so far.

I want a stone cold ruling out that it will never be used. Even if Booster 2 or 3 has a low take up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

There was in the 1850s but low regard for the Victorian governors of Ireland, then and now, means it can't really used as a credible example imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think it is the DoH taking advantage of a big bunch of people who are meeting regularly. Departments commonly invite submissions on ideas they have and most of those who they might seek an opinion from are on NHPET, so it's opportunistic. There's also an instant assumption by some posters that NPHET will recommend it as an idea, that's completely unknown.

The ethical side would be thorny enough but the legal would be quagmire to get something that did not obviously go up against the Constitution. As someone observed on the main thread it's all a bit pointless at this stage and very disproportionate when the public responded so well to this programme. I really don't see it happening politically no matter what ideas NPHET might offer up.

Here's Martin on it from a little while ago, he say no!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

I don't expect you to know anything about the specific covid response in a random US state, but you have it very wrong. Yes, things are 100% normal here. There's no mask mandate. There's no covid cert. There's no talk of mandatory vaccinations. Everything is open, including schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

That header is misleading. He and many others in parliament have spoken out against mandatory vaccinations, yes.

From the article:

Mr Martin insisted that vaccination was the key to curbing the spread of Covid-19, but he said he favoured a voluntary programme.

"First of all, NPHET will examine every issue so that they can give advice to government," Mr Martin said.

I read that as 'not for now', meaning in january. But it is bad news if a prime minister depends on Nphet to 'examine the issue'. Again, meaning that he personally would not favor mandatory vaccinations but you know, if Nphet decides that is the way to go he is likely to follow their advice. Meaning, the leader of a country will let a health body make the rules about something so serious as vaccinate mandates. Instead of leading he is following and does not differentiate between various measures, restrictions or mandatory rules. He doesnt seem to understand the difference between restrictions and mandatory rules.That is such a morally weak position to take for a prime minister. It is hard to imagine anyone with half a brain agreeing to that. But then again..

He states in that he favours voluntary and that's just stretching a supposition on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Or did they want to force you to take it in case someone else might get a headache, or did they want to wait 75 years to fully release the data on it to the public as the FDA and Pfizer want to do? Good luck to the judge in the USA who tossed that out.

Talk of vaccine mandates in Ireland now, (was that not out and out conspiracy theory just a few weeks ago?), not sure where that stands in law, forcing a drug which is still in Conditional Marketing Authorization on people. Relaxation of Restrictions, LOL, wake up folks, many more to come.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Why is the pub closing time not under review? Everyone agrees it’s one of the stupidest, nonsensical restrictions ever, right up there with 9 euro meal.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous case numbers say No to that and it was never going to be reviewed now, but the end of the month might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The skeptic in me thinks this little mandatory vaccination bomb launched by journalists this morning has a goal - get people to accept further boosters and certs / passes to be able to do normal day to day societal activities. After the Omicron outbreak, there should be no further Covid passes, their uses will be obsolete. If they insist on keeping them, include testing as an option at the very least going forward.

I cannot understand at this stage of the pandemic why the vaccination strategy remains the only one. There is a way out here on a plate for Governments - people have been exposed to a mild variant. Many of the population, especially those at risk are vaccinated and many boosted including vulnerable and older. There are therapeutics now coming on stream. It is time to change tactics and exit the emergency phase of Covid. They should do a population sample test for antibodies, they did one back in the Summer of 2020 here and heavily publicised how little of the population had been exposed to the original strain. It would be interesting to see how many of the population have antibodies to Covid at this stage. The U.K. did a sample this year & found a high coverage across their population & dropped all restrictions accordingly. Instead the Government & journalists here keep tweeting about how ‘easy’ it is to get the updated Covid Booster Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

We need to "zoom out"

The real question is/has always been, whether we should/continue to, curb the spread of this pox at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

The issue is with the header of the article. Clickbait. Is there even such a thing as a news editor? Or are they pushing clicks no matter what?

The supposition might be mine but only a fool would call that 'stretching' as MM himself states the context. I am not inventing anything and we have been here before. The only thing i am speculating about atm is whether he will leave all the mandatory vaccinations up to employers like the HSE and customs, state bodies etc. like they had in the US before the suprime court shot it down. The booster system and QR codes are already implemented into the Covid cert and will be a de facto mandatory system rolled out in a broad way to circumvent legal matters. In France you cannot get on a train without a vaccination nor into a restaurant. All you need to do is make it an entry requirement and punish those who ignore it. That is where this might be heading..is that stretching the matter or is it a likely scenario? You tell me..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The fear has been gone for a long long time, worth noting that nobody fears the flu either and that vaccine always gets huge take-up, not as much as COVID admittedly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd say its reassuring to hear Martin say he favours voluntary vaccination, but it does beg the question, if that is his preference then why not flatly state that mandatory vaccinations will not be happening on his watch? Its his decision after all, he doesn't need to sugar coat it.

We know the reason of course, he is an indecisive man who is easily led and couches everything in disclaimers, but it is not the strong response such a suggestion requires.

I absolutely do not believe the matter ends there. Covid passports and manadatory vaccinations are part of the same playbook, a number of the big european countries are pushing mandatory vaccination, there is plenty of smoke there. Will it fizzle out? Possibly. But I doubt this is the last time we will hear the word "mandatory".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mandatory Covid vaccination will never happen here. If by chance it does, then childhood vaccinations for MMR, meningitis, etc. could not remain voluntary either. Slippery slope.

Even those in favour of vaccination including myself would be horrified at compulsory vaccination now or ever. It will just lead to a lot of civil unrest and who needs that?

When other countries opened hospitality they kept the old opening hours, we are the only ones who were different in that regard, and arguably it's not worked in our favour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Yes, it's a "nudge", in the behavioural science vernacular.

Tell people X thing might happen, then they feel relief when Y thing happens, which is still a restriction, instead of the outpouring of anger there would otherwise be.

"Thank god they're not doing mandatory vaccine, I find that unethical" instead of "WTF, they said the booster wouldn't be required on the domestic cert" or "WTF they said hospitality certs were for a few weeks, three months ago" etc.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Plus it caused so much division and riots in the UK that they eventually had to allow for exemptions.

The 9 euro meal stopped people doing pub crawls, it was very effective pre-vaccination, this 8pm rule though makes zero sense although Micheal Martin says it's working to curb the spread of COVID, as he stands over 20k recorded cases a day and maybe another 40k unrecorded

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Not really people were just getting 9 euro worth of chicken wings between themselves in every pub, but I suppose NPHET could say hop on one foot before you go into the pub and people would say it’s a fantastic restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

One positive recent development,post Omicron,is a reawakening of the confidence to Question.

Even if it is,as yet struggling to gain ground,the reality is the Genie is now out of the bottle,and the charlatans will struggle to put the cork back in !

Meanwhile in the US, the end of 2021 confirmed the reality that lockdown strategies had little or no impact on Covid mortality. The two neighbouring states of Michigan and Wisconsin followed very different Covid policies, with Michigan favouring severe restrictions while Wisconsin lifted them much earlier; yet at the start of this month, Michigan’s Covid mortality rate was far higher than Wisconsin’s, at 2,906 deaths per million compared to 1,919 per million in Wisconsin. Another stark example comes from comparing two other neighbouring states: North and South Dakota. South Dakota infamously imposed no Covid restrictions, while there were mask mandates in North Dakota during the second wave in Winter 2020/2021: yet as of January 1st 2022, the two states’ death rates are very similar, at 2,810 per million (South Dakota) and 2,640 (North Dakota).

It is time for the Left to look reality in the face and take stock of the fact that the prevailing Covid response of most Western governments has been an abysmal failure on all fronts —not least that of “saving lives”. An alternative approach is desperately needed. Fortunately, and tragically, it’s been hiding in plain sight all this time.

Amen to that !!! 😁

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Maybe in the pubs you were going to, I can't say I saw that myself, I saw some pubs were doing €9 lite bite with free pint deals but not every pub as you suggest.

I think the peoples response to the 8pm closing or the 5pm suggestion would suggest you're wrong about a potential hopping on one foot restriction

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Places that would wrap up your food for ya were great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Paul Reid: “Our ICU cases haven’t risen, they have remained stable. We will see what this looks like in a week’s time,” he said.

ICU Cases Jan 9th: 82

ICU Cases Dec 9th: 115

So a 29% decrease over the past month is "remaining stable"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Advertisement