Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bilberry - Embarrassing Road for Greenway Tourism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I don't beleive that greenways cause a rise in burglary on the elderly and I beleive you will find zero evidence to back up this beyond ridiculous statement.

This leads you to state that I'm "fcuking mad".

This leads me to believe that you are not really the type of person I need to waste any more of my time with.

So good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 feckwunker

Spot on. The guy has some seriously moronic views.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This really is an utterly baseless assumption,

It's not like the greenway provides a fast get away for criminals, it is intended for walking and cycling its the opposite to the many, many back roads that a criminal can use to get away very fast and they can be used to easily loose the Gardai. Also the greenway isn't suitable for what we often see as the most common rural thefts such as oil, machinery etc.

Unless you got some stats to support your greenway = increase in crime nonsense you are talking nonsense. Whats next, you are going to claim there's an increase in crime in areas where anyone called John live? Because there's just as much merit to it.

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Can't believe they are still banning people from this awful site lol. They might have nobody left to ban if the site continued on it's downward trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I dont find the site so bad to use now. Much better than when it migrated over originally.

Activities have started. I saw diggers in the old Stanley site as I passed today. Some scrub removed and work started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Yeah, going to be really interesting. Part of it is going to be a platform out over the river.

Passing by in the car and looking in, there's lots of work going on in the old Stanley site. Even clearing away the wild scrub at the back of the wall has opened up the whole area!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Road Closure Grattan Quay , Waters Gate from 7th Nov to 26th Dec 2021 to facilitate piling works for new Boardwalks as part of Bilberry to City Centre Greenway

• Advertisement

Jeepers, some work going on there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭nomoedoe

It’s great to see this progressing i know they said it will be fully completed in 18 months ,but hopefully they will have something in place for the tourist season next March or April.

I walked along from the bridge to the greenway this morning and its some job that they are doing!

They have cleaned up the whole area from the halting site/business park/boat yard to the greenway on both sides. So much brighter!!

They've knocked down quite a bit of the old wall by the foundry/pushed it back a good few feet into the foundry and are rebuilding the stone wall again. It'll be nice and wide and look really well when it's complete I'd say.

All lit up now too with plenty of lighting.

The company doing the work look like they are doing a great job to me anyway.

The original section by the halting site etc is still shocking and those dogs that they have are leaving dog **** all over the place still though. Will that area be bypassed or will that section remain part of the connection?

It's worth a stroll by at the weekend of someone's looking for something to do. It's closed off during the week I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭nomoedoe

The plans were posted in the main Greenway thread and I think they bypass the halting site with a walkway built on the other side of the wall right up to the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Looks like it passes right by the halting site and other stuff. As far as I can see it just follows the existing road?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

It does follow the existing road though. It'll still pass by the halting site, even if it's out a little over the river. Will there be a wall or something to divide it off? Genuine question.

Post edited by Azatadine on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How are they improving the Rice Bridge junction?

At the moment its extremely off putting and dangerous to any family planning on cycling the greenway, they really must change this for the greenway to be actually part of the city itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Valhalla90

The left turn onto Rice Bridge from Grattan Quay will be removed making space for the Greenway route to cross onto the quays more safely. The whole junction is being realigned to facilitate the greenway passing through it towards the quays!

• Advertisement

and outbound towards the greenway?

are they going to get rid of the idiotic left turn from quays up Bridge Street?

They also must make the cycle laner much safer, it must have bollards to stop cars driving in it,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Could be fairly problematic for the companies based on Grattan Quay?

Yeah, Gerraghtys Tyres would be impacted by that I'd say? There's a few other places along there too.

Wonder what they will do with the area at the other end of the Bilberry road that they are using as a kind of depot (opposite Bowefield)? That's a pretty big area. Hopefully they do something that looks good there when they've finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I feel like all of the problems at that bridge could be resolved by some sort of roundabout. Maybe space doesn't allow for it but it's just a disaster at the moment and will be a disaster for the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

When they redid the footpaths and stuff some years ago, they did get rid of the left turn up Bridge Street. But people kept doing it anyway. The Gardai don't bother enforcing any traffic laws so the council just got rid of the "no left turn" stuff instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Is there an inch of segregated cycle lanes in the city at all yet? I keep hearing funding announcements but I can't see any progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Waterford council don't believe in segregated cycle lanes unfortunately as they refuse to take an inch of space away from cars. I remember when they first finished the works on Manor Street I sent in multiple pics of cars parked in the new counterflow cycleway on both sides and asked when it would be segregated. They said it won't be segregated as in their own words "it wouldn't be able to be swept".

We'll be a long time waiting to see the council make tough decisions around reallocation of road space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭914

The councils view on cycling is, slap down a white line to the existing road and pat ourselves on the back for making the city "greener"

All you have to do is look at the Dunmore Road "green route" what a shambles.

Cork road shambles.

At this stage we should have a segregated bi-directional cycle lane that stretches from the city centre to WIT at least. Ample space to do it right with the grass verges etc.

Someone should bring the city management and councillors around on a bike several times and see how safe they feel it is.

Segregated will surely need to come into play with the new bike rental docks around the city

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

It's disgraceful there's no safe cycle routes out to WIT or any of our big schools, or to any of the major suburbs like dunmore Road or Ferrybank. Council management just don't care about transport unless its a car.

Re your point on bringing city management and councillors on a bike, Waterford Bicycle Users Group (give them a follow on twitter) actually tried this over the summer. The only people who showed up were the two green councillors!!!!

• Advertisement

Bit off topic but the amount of dog shite on the Greenway and all of the footpaths out that direction is scandalous. They put new bins in place but the whole place is covered in it. I suppose it's just a fact that some people are selfish and don't give a damn about letting their dogs shite all over the place. No thought for kids shoes or buggies or anything.

Advertisement