Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spider-Man: No Way Home *spoilers from post 185*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If you read my post fully I said he wasn't a big name until the Raimi trilogy and i mean big name as in coming into the mainstream the regular every day cinema goer either knows or probably cares what Osbourne has done in the comics I'm a huge fan and I love how we ran the Dark Avengers and basically turned Shield into Hammer but again all of that is double dutch to most people

In my own experience the 1st marvel heros I heard of was Hulk , probably because of the live action TV show and Spiderman cos he was everywhere , 1st villain I remember hearing of was Doom cos of that distinctive look and he was in all the cartoons and kids annuals and stuff 1st time I saw the Goblin was the awesome 90s animated series anyway it's just my own perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Green Goblin has always been front and centre of the Spider-mans world, for decades, long before the Raimi trilogy. TBH I was sick of him by the time the 90's animated series came along. From my own experience, he's always been front and centre of things, to the point of over exposure, in some form or another. Can't really see how you missed him tbh. Most life defining moments for Peter has been at the hands of the Green Goblin for decades.

Green Goblin has creative license no other Marvel villain has. The hero's always save the day. The exception is the Green Goblin, someone important always dies. Did more damage in the MCU in ten minutes than any other villain over 20+ films, in terms of a deep personal kill with weight to it.

Post edited by The Golden Miller on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's a hereditary disease that affects the Osborns, and was part of what drove Norman to try different experiments with animals and insects, such as Richard Parker testing with spiders, and Connors testing with lizards. Norman was trying to find something that could heal him. Norman died from it and told Harry it'd affect it him too. Harry then started being affected by it (which was stupid because Norman lived to mid-50's to 60's with it, yet it started affecting Harry almost instantly after he finds out about it and he is rushing to find a cure immediately). Harry was given Norman's secret files about his research and realised he needed Spiderman's blood to try and cure him. But he didn't know that Richard Parker had used Parker DNA in his experiments and so the healing properties of his experiments would only work on someone with Parker DNA. Harry got some of Spiderman's blood and used it to try and cure himself, but it made him worse and turned him into the Green Goblin.

Harry was still alive by the end, he says the effects of the Goblin potion he took comes and goes.

Ye only watched it once as I thought the two films were rubbish, apart from the clocktower scene.

I suppose the Osborn disease storyline comes from how do you portray the Goblin and give him a face in terms of live action. A normal face in the comics, pulls a mask over his face and that becomes an actual face too. Can't really do that in film

Yeah, it just comes back to my main criticism of TASM films which is that they had some good ideas, but taken a few steps too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The Osborne disease thing was going to come from the Ultimate Spiderman thing where eventually Norman would have come back as a monster goblin obviously they never got that far into the amazing Spiderman films to realise that , i'm sure that would been part of any 3rd film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Really enjoyed the movie but more because of the Spider-Men interactions than the villains. Made me realise that apart from mysterio all the Spider-Man villains have been pretty cartoonish with quite hammy acting, especially Green Goblin. I like the way they had the Garfield peter Parker sort of getting some redemption for saving MJ. Also for once didn't find MJ annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw some interview with Andrew garfield on YouTube where he says he's relieved he can finally talk publicly about No way home. He also said that he and Toby Maguire snuck into a theatre on opening night, both wearing baseball hats and masks, to experience the movie with the public. I dunno this just made my day, imagining sitting in a theatre on opening night watching a movie you're starring in and nobody is any the wiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just moved above The Avengers to become the 8th biggest movie of all time.

The only MCU films ahead of it now are Infinity War and Endgame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sony are on a roll, this, cobra Kai and Ghostbusters

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I'm really happy for Andrew Garfield in particular. Given how hated his SM films were to the point where he didn't get a third film and Sony's struggles with the films (and their proposed spin-offs) ended up causing them to get together with Marvel, for Garfield to be getting so much love now for his NWH appearance is great. The issues with the TASM films were never his fault and he and Emma Stone were always lauded for their roles, but he does seem like the kind of actor who would take stuff like that to heart.

The love he's getting for his appearance and the redemption his character gets for saving MJ is fantastic, and whether or not they do go for a third TASM film or does lead to further appearances, I think this has helped bring him up to a similar level to Maguire and Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, he was shafted by those movies. Everyone at the time thought "Rebooting? Didn't.... Didn't we just DO this? How many times does Uncle Ben have to die?". I mean, the films were fairly poor but, as you said, really wasn't his fault or Emma Stone's fault. (Apart from being FAR too good-looking to be average "teenagers" 😀).

So yeah, it was great to see him get some kudos and love from the fans

I think people say his Peter Parker was a bit of a d*ck, and that's true in a sense. Particularly once he gets his powers, he became very over-confident and played around with the guy he caught a bit too much before the cops came. But I think that's natural enough in a way, that he was a kid being bullied and now has all this strength and power. There was a clear shift though when he saved the kid in the car on the bridge, I think his confidence balanced out a bit more and he realised the responsibility he had. After that, I had no real issue with either his Peter or his Spider-Man, I thought he was excellent in both roles. Definitely more of the quippy, sarcastic side of the character than the nerdy, unlucky side that Maguire's character focused on. Also I think he moved a lot more like Spider-Man than any of the others.

I suppose they over emphasised the Garfield Spiderman with quips etc, because they were non existent in the original trilogy. The perfect Spidey/Parker would be Mcguire under the Parker guise, and Garfield as Spiderman.

My woman even said to me, she didn't enjoy the new trilogy, Spiderman portrayed as too kiddy. Said Dafoe was the films saving grace, brought menace and a darkness to an otherwise kid's film

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Too kiddy in what way? He's meant to be 17. I think Maguire and Garfield's Spider-Men have dealt with bigger themes you could tell they never felt like the teenager Parker is supposed to be. Holland I think comes closest to thay as teenager and not just because of his looks, I think he's much better at being the awkward nerd.

Parker in the early comics was supposed to be quite young, which is what Marvel went for here. In practice he always held himself in a similar fashion to the Mcguire take on Parker in the comics. Even when Parker was young, he was nothing like the Holland take on him.

The films are very teenage/kiddie because of that, children's films as opposed to a serious film imo. The menace and darkness Dafoe brought to the latest film saved it imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Holland was ruined because marvel/Sony felt like they had to tag on an avenger to each film, even far from home, he's basically Tony jr with the gadgets and living in his shadow. Calling everyone sir, just wasn't the Spidey i grew up with and loved. Agree with above, Tobey nailed Peter and Andrew almost nailed Spidey. He definitely nailed him in No Way Home and overshadowed Tom imo.

The only saving grace for Tom was the ending, clean slate on his own has me really excited for the next Trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agree, Maguire and Garfield's versions rushed through the younger Spider-man which to me was lazy and a complete waste of the character, especially with the Garfield iteration as we'd already seen the fast jump to post high school in the original trilogy. Disney unsurprisingly made the smart decision to explore the younger Parker and use him as a contrast his perspective with the older superheroes - it worked and it is why it revitalised the character from the stale Sony approach.

Well, my knowledge of Peter Parker's Spiderman was (Rightly or wrongly) that he was a kid somewhere between 15-17. Was a bit dorky and self-conscious when not Spiderman but pretty quippy and more confident when in suit.

As a result, for me, while I enjoyed Toby Maguire's films to various degrees, most of that was down to my enjoyment of Sam Raimi and the villains. I always thought Tobey Maguire looked too old for the part. He always looked like his biggest problem wasn't teenage angst but keeping up mortgage payments :)

Also, while Garfield was more into the quips as Spiderman, I thought he was also slightly too old and more traditionally handsome to be an average self-conscious geeky teenager.

Having said that, it was fantastic to see them both in the movie and did bring a laugh and smile to my face (Especially, as I said before, Garfield. He was awesome and I could have watched the three of them chat for another hour. lol) ,

So for ME (A non-reader), I thought Tom Holland was a great choice. He looks about the right age. Looks sufficiently "Hollywood Average" and portrays the right amount of awkwardness. (And, especially in Civil War, the tight amount of banter. Not so much quippy but banter).

But, once again: NON reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I'm curious to see if Raimi can hold his own against the Marvel machine for Dr. Strange 2 and give us something thats more uniquely him. It always bugged me that, even after two wildly successful Spiderman movies, he was forced to make so many studio-mandated compromises with Spiderman 3.

• Advertisement

They pretty much reboot most of the comics every decade or so, so at times in the comics he's high-school late-teens, at other times he's working as a photographer to put himself through college, and at times he's been mid-to-late 20's working as a scientist. His personality kinda shifts and evolves over the years in the same way too. Then they reboot the comics universe in some way and start again.

So all versions of him that we've seen are pretty much right in some way or are pulling from certain eras or styles of the character, but everyone has different familiarity with it and will recognise some parts of the character and not others. But it really boils down to something I've said previously about things like comparing Joker or Batman actors; they each suit the films they were in and probably wouldn't have been as good as others. Maguire's Spider-Man/Peter wouldn't have suited Garfield's films and vice-versa. Tom Holland is actually a good mix of the two and I think he probably would have been good in the other SM films, but probably still wouldn't have been as good as Maguire/Garfield.

Are you saying that Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy wouldn't fit with Nolan's Batman Trilogy or that Tommy Lee Jones is somehow an inferior Harvey Dent to Aaron Eckhart?

Shame on you *

( * Not really 😀 )

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I would struggle to find many runs to point at with Holland's Spiderman in mind.

In Homecoming he gets all the tech and the main conflict in the movie is stopping a man who was legitimately wronged by Tony Stark from stealing from him. Really fail to see why Peter Parker is so concerned with this. It's not an issue that Spiderman should be so worked up about - just the concept of siding with the billionaire vs the working man is so anti - Peter Parker. Yes I know there have been plenty of runs with Iron Man and Peter but that isn't who the character really is and it shows me a complete misunderstanding of him.

The replacement of Uncle Ben with Iron Man was just not right.

In Far From Home he is given access to Super Glasses which he frivously gives away and then gets to build a new suit on a super jet before fighting the bad guy.

He shows up late all the time and it's played off as a joke. What Raimi really nailed is the consequences for Peter of juggling his two lives. There is never a sense of that in any of the Holland movies.

Added to the fact that he is a legitimate idiot who created his own problems in both No Way Home and Far From Home and he is a poor representation of the character. And Aunt May as this cool aunt, who in Far From Home was pimping him out as Spiderman for personal gain is probably the last thing an actual aunt May would ever do. In any run.

Spiderman 1 and 2 are still the best on screen representation of Spiderman.

Says a lot that the current movie felt it had to bring back villains and better Spidermen scripted by better writers to carry it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Basically the Home trilogy was Holland Spidey's origin story, and it all landed with a wallop in the conclusion of NWH, namely in him finally getting his defining 'Uncle Ben' moment with Aunt May and time on his own. He had the 'luxury' of making mistakes along the way and repairing them, sometimes with help (Tony, Happy, etc). Garfield and Maguire didn't.

He briefly (barely) referenced Ben in Civil war (referencing mistakes being made although we still don't know for sure what happened in this instance (correct me if I'm wrong!)) and then again in this movie, but comparing to Garfield and Maguire where their Uncle Ben moments had way more resonance with them. Granted they were a bit older than Holland's Spidey when we first saw him, but the had to grow up a lot quicker than he did, because they faced the hard consequence of their actions (Uncle Bens, Gwen).

They all went through the same origin journey, Holland's just took longer and was much more eventful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Has Ben ever been mentioned by name in the Home trilogy? You'd think when Maguire and Garfield were speaking about their Bens, our Peter might have said something and there was a conspicuous lack of Ben on May's gravestone.

I don't think so. There was a suitcase with his initials on it that Peter had in Far From Home, but I don't think his name was ever actually spoken.

I think while he did exist and died, his role in Peter's life isn't the same as the Maguire/Garfield ones. He likely died a fair bit earlier and so Aunt May has taken on the role of both May and Ben.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the MCU relies a lot on the actors being charismatic in lieu of actual interesting characterisation. I'd put Tom Holland’s Spidey in that category - obviously a good screen presence, but I don't believe his trilogy has much of a novel or focused 'take' on Spider-Man (unlike Raimi's films). But again that's a wider problem with the MCU.

I don't think Marvel or Disney see it as a problem at all considering they have made over 20 billion in box office profits from 27 movies and that profit will continue to grow no matter what they churn out over the next decade.

He was never even an Avenger really. Pushed into the MCU team up for the sake of it, Spiderman and all his properties. Avengers was a b team to X-Men, for second rate heroes who couldn't stand on their own.

Since it got huge due to the MCU, Spiderman and his properties are still too big to need the Avengers or MCU. Spiderman acting as a protege to Iron Man was a joke..

Before I wanted Marvel to get the rights to Spiderman back, now I'd prefer Sony hold onto them. He and his properties are far too big to be a MCU sideshow, nor do they need it

• Advertisement

Strange post. You pick certain traits to suggest the first two actors didn't nail Spidey/Parker, they almost did, but not fully, from how you envision Parker.

Then you praise the incarnation who was least like him. You say you didn't read the comics, but seem aware of how an early Parker was portrayed. So I don't see how you could view Holland's take as good, he was nothing like Peter at that age

As a side note, I think it should be acknowledged just how popular Spiderman has become since his creation. An enduring popularity never seen before really. To this day, the everyman, who everyone can relate to.

There are huge franchises like Star Wars, Harry Potter or whoever. Global brands. But purely from an individual level, one singular character, nothing has ever had the continued impact and appeal of Spiderman.

My mate put it to me one day, he loved Iron Man and his films. Into cars, could relate to the tech stuff or whatever. A few years later said the character bored him, a fad or phase.

Spiderman for decades, transcends that and continues to do so, regardless of what's the in thing. His enduring popularity as the everyman is something everyone can relate to and is timeless.

People may role their eyes but I think it's fascinating. My daughter, now 6, watched his cartoons as a toddler, interested, and now watches them in a manner where she understands them. A large proportion of every demograph and minority relates to him on some level, an unintended, huge reaching appeal no other character has ever encompassed, or had that impact.

I'm confident you could reboot his films every year for the next 20 years with the same origin story over and over again, and people would still go to see it. I always thought the characters persistently huge and widespread appeal is incredible.

How is Raimi's take novel deemed novel? It was the first time the character was really on the big screen and basically the second blockbuster comic book movie - everything at that point was novel.

I don't see it as being based on them being charismatic, MCU do a great job in making their heroes likeable and having the audience care about them. Their characters then take interesting archs that the audience is invested in - some seem to put 'interesting' over engaging. MCU did a better job engaging the audience with Garfield's Spider-man over a few minutes on screen than Sony did with 2 movies.

MCU's take on a younger Spider-man is far more novel and interesting than what Sony did with Garfield's iteration, which was basically lets do a rethread but throw in some weird stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Remind me, wasn't the spell "the whole world will forget Peter Parker"

Well what about those not on the world. Nick Fury, Peter Quill, Nebula etc. They still remember him don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I think the assumption is that it's universe-wide.

MCU universe-wide though...

Not a zealot of these comic movies myself but did find this an interesting overview of the history of the Spider-Man movies and how the Sony deal with Marvel drove the releases and influenced Marvels moves into production

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Finally saw it tonight. I enjoyed it but thinking that being late to the party kinda ruined it. As I knew about the three spideys and aunt may.

Lesson learned I guess is to see these movies pretty quick.

I felt the two shoving the snow in Sanctum Sanctorum should have been Shang-Chi & Katy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Finally get to see it last week - I have heard bits and bobs beforehand but pretty much has no impact to my experience.

So ya nostagia factor to the max, DocOct and Willem dafou stole the show hard, and not to my least surprise that we have 3rd installment of Tom Holland's spiderman and he is still not the 'core' character in this another movie supposedly about himself/spiderman.

I enjoyed it overall (nostalgia warmy feeling and god damn DocOct and Willem performances are on another level), but I just can't help to feel pity on this writing with so many missed opportunities. My god they were given a big pile of amazing source materials and this is how they did it - nothing get fleshed out (again DocOct Willem truly stole the show with their limited screen time), rushed and lazy plot devices throughout the film. I mean, the project basically cannot fail due to the massive source materials given to it and somehow it makes me felt disappointed. Well, why do I get my expectation up for a marvel film aha.

The film feels cringey at times like Tom Holland calling himself spiderman 1 and it is so american that 'oh i will fix you' - seriously did no one tell them by doing that they are fcking up the multiverses/timelines further lol. The death of Aunt May - i am sorry the scene just felt forced since she has been a comic relief all these times - and ya come on adrenaline rush or not, they let her live to do that scene after the point blank explosion...And I don't know why but that Michelle-Jones pissed me off lolol - why is she the only one with such different name vs other people in multiverses? Oh ye subverting expectation huh.

And oh so smart that the whole trilogy is Tom Holland's spiderman origin story - ya you know when Strange casted the spell to make everyone forgets Spiderman = Peter Parker - why is that not impacting to other Peter Parkers? Oh because Tom Holland's spiderman apparently is the Main timeline now? I mean sure it is so convenient Strange's spell send back the other Peters and the villains, that's it. That spell is the strongest (plot device) ever that it could delete all media footage of Spiderman = Peter (just imagine the spell is able digitally delete some pictures of the newspapers records lol), and also apparently stopping Tom to write down the facts right there for MJ and Ned.

Anyway, I am just glad that Sam Raimi didn't work on this - I think Multiverse Madness fits his dark/grimmy style better and most importantly less attachments like a spidey movie nowadays.

And ye you know what, I would recommend Into the Spiderverse even more after watching this - now THAT is how a good project on spidey multiverse looks like, with so much fun and thoughts put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TryingNot2Lie

Saw it tonight and loved it.

After a really tough day, I wanted some switch-ff-mind kind of entertainment.

I've been a huge Spidey fan for over 30 years, so obviously know alot about the canon, but despite veering from canon in places (Aunt May should not be that hot), I still loved it, and the nods to the previous movies in their various incarnations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A bit confused but do The green Goblin and the others actually stay alive in there universes ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally caught this, finally, and yeah a very enjoyable ride, even if it was powered by a huge amount of nostalgia. One of the stronger, recent MCU films; the obvious takeaways were the other Spider-Men, both effortlessly playing the role again - with Andrew Garfield kinda stealing the show. I was sad to see them go. But then that was also kind of a problem: yet again, we had a Tom Holland Spider-Man where he wasn't really the lead of his own story. At least here it was down to it being more of an ensemble piece - than a Tony Stark tale, featuring Spider-Man along for the ride.

Specific props too for taking Alfred Molina's Doc Ock and redeeming him; it was something of a small quibble of Raimis own film, letting him die a villain than have his young friend save his soul. Molina and Dafoe both left their mark, and reminded that memorable, punchy villains remains a sticky problem with the MCU.

Also, might just be me but while the cinematography was as blah as ever, it felt like they got rid of the drab colour grading. Seemed a more colourful film than usual in the series. The colours stronger, richer but maybe it was just me.

I've seen that complaint come up before that Holland's Spider-Man hasn't been a lead of his own movies but I watched Homecoming last week for the first time in a few years and expected it to be full of Stark. He however barely makes an appearance and I confirmed on IMDB that he clocks in at less than 8 minutes of screen time, with Holland having 76 minutes.

Stark does feel like a bigger part in the movie but that is the world this iteration of Spider-Man is navigating, not an eastern european in a rhino costume. Even with the MCU background the first two movies are clearly focused on Holland and his nemesis in the given movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Far From Home was more egregious, but I've found the trilogy had stood itself, and Peter, within the shadow of others, thematically or otherwise. Stark acting as surrogate mentor or father figure, with Happy Hogan the cheaper option when the Downey Jr time ran out. Peter always seemed to orbit bigger people's lives than forming his own. It hasn't been a huge problem mind, just a curious choice.

Especially the sequel which was, basically, about Peter inheriting the mantle of nu-Stark in the Avengers (the villain more interested in the Stark tech than having some personal connection with Peter ala Doc Ock from Raimi's Spider-Man - and what there was was a ruse). And while No Way Home had similar with its other Spider-Men demanding focus through the excitement of its returning actors, the ending felt like perhaps Marvel felt similar?

It was a big reset button, all that Stark tech pushed off the board so Spider-Man could become just a guy in a costume again, saving the day, locally. I know he has travelled the cosmos in the comics but there was always something wrong with Spider-Man battling aliens on spaceships in Infinity War, scuttling about on his tech legs. YMMV obviously

I don't feel it was a curious choice at all, it was a refreshing and much needed break from what we'd seen from the 5 movies before it.

Seeing Parker getting to grips with being Spider-Man as a small yet important fish in a very big pond, alongside the Avengers, was a great change of pace from the previous two attempts at the character. Holland's Spider-Man has always been the core of his own movies, the backdrop was just bigger and to me far more interesting than whatever slightly tweaked regurgitated version of his origin story in Queens would have been if they tried to build him from the ground up again. The youth and perspective of a teenager also worked so well with the ensemble movies so it was a win/win.

As you say, the reset should now have him back at street level and the foundation of future stories and the audience has their palate's cleansed from what came before, much more interested in seeing him put in this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

It’s a valid complaint IMO. Civil war was an ensemble, Homecoming, he’s in the shadow of Happy and Stark. Infinity war and Endgame are ensembles. FFH he’s still in the shadow of Happy, the loss of Stark is central and he’s taking orders from Fury and NWH, is basically another ensemble. He’s never really been front and centre of any films that he’s starred as SpiderMan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Tony always came across like an arrogant knob end. Someone like that won't have the same kind of appeal.

Everyone knew about the three spideys before the film even came out. Surprised they managed to keep it under wraps for as long as they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Saying he was in their shadow seems a bit much... his solo movies were still very much his movies. Just because another element of the story is that he has extra people putting burdens on him doesn't mean he's not 'the guy'. Those are story beats, adding further tension and conflict to his own journey in how he choses to navigate them.

In a way they just replaced the traditional pressure and expectation that Uncle Ben's death puts on him, with the pressure and expectation Stark puts on him. Starks presence and then his, and now May's, deaths have brought him on the same journey he always goes on in the different iterations.

Screen time shows that he has clearly been front and centre in every one of his trilogy - as noted earlier Stark is on camera for less than 8 minutes in Homecoming and Fury and fake Fury about the same in FFH.

Parker is teenager and has always been either seeking approval from father figures, mourning loss, or taking orders in practically every one of the movies in the previous iterations of Spider-man, especially when they were as young as Holland and I've never seen it be claimed that he wasn't front and centre in those movies.

The 'complaint' seems to be far more that the movies contain established MCU characters that Parker interacts with than based on either the reality of screen time or the actions of Spider-man (which is a completely valid complaint btw but different than what it is being posed as)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Think the 8 minutes adds more weight to the argument TBH. Homecoming starts off with Stark making a deal with the US government, setting vulture up as the antagonist, Stark then recruits Parker for Civil War, Parker then spends the next chunk of the film hassling Stark, trying to get his attention, he’s then rescued by Stark in his first fight with Vulture. Parker and Ned then hack the spider man suit which is owned by Stark. Spidey is again rescued by.. you guessed it, Tony Stark. We then find out Vultures plan is to steal Starks tech, the film ends with Parker winning Starks approval who invites him to join the avengers and offering a new Stark suit upgrade.

For someone with 8 minutes of screen time, he sure does cast a long shadow over the film.

• Advertisement
Advertisement