Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

There were floods of people stocking up on the third of January where I work. It was like Christmas week all over again. Lots of grumbling about the *******government too.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

First they came for the smokers, but I said nothing because I didn't smoke.

Next they came for slabs, but I said nothing because I did not drink cheap lager.

Next they came for (and I am not making this up) the fireplaces but I said nothing because I had central heating in my apartment.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40781157.html

What kind of joyless sh1thole is this country turning into, there is a busybody on every corner to make sure nobody deviates from the path they seek to impose on of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They get away with it because nobody stands up against it.

What will be the negatives for politicians from this? Probably nothing. A few grumbles, but nobody is actually going to change their vote because of this (even if there were an actual party standing against it).

But they get to look like they are doing something. The other option is to stand against it, which puts one at odds with the majority and thus open to criticism. In a no lose situation one can hardly blame the politicians for taking the easy option.

The only losers in this is the consumers. But they are such a varied, unorganised and apathetic bunch that there is little to fear from them. After a few months this will just be the norm and everyone will be so happy to get back to the pubs and happy to pay for a pint that complaining that a can costs <€2 in the offy is not going to carry much weight.

What you are missing is the iron law of prohibition, "the harder the drug laws, the harder the drugs", those traveling North will tend to opt for the easiest transportable and storable items particularly those with a large price differential, so for example, own brand vodka is priced in NI at 50% of the price down here, so a couple traveling north and buying a years supply of 30L of vodka would make a saving in excess of 500e.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,193 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The North will certainly implement it, and as soon as they can I'd say, which would be 2023.

SF supported it here and will support it up there, it's not their form to promote divergence between north and south.

The DUP will support it because they traditionally would not be fans of alcohol anyway.

The the others will row in behind it just like they did here.

There was a piece from the Irish Examiner posted in the other thread about this in the Beer forum.

Retailers in NI do not expect a huge boost from this, the people who live near the border already do a lot of cross border shopping and because of the exchange rate and the price of fuel it is not as attractive to people from further afield as it may have been in previous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh the slabs are the biggest hit but at the same time it probably makes most economical sense to be buying them. The issue with the North is the 440ml cans. They don't really do 500ml slabs from what I can see.

There are a few issues here really. One of them being that the prices will just keep rising now. I can guarantee that in a few years another sneaky rise will be brought in. All of a sudden it'll be 2.50 a can and so on. A bit like they have done with the fags.

Another issue is the blatant BS that this will somehow solve the imaginary drink issue Ireland has. It won't. The problem drinkers, like gamblers and other addicts will just cust back elsewhere. Kids won't have heating at home or food on the table. Crime will probably rise as a result. How do we know this? We know this from evidence we have regarding drug addiction and gambling and how addicts feed their habit once it's out of their reach.

If we live in an open single market then I should have the choice to import alcohol from the EU. But I can't. It's bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

"SF supported it here and will support it up there, it's not their form to promote divergence between north and south."

Apart from things like property tax, access to abortion, covid restrictions, fox hunting...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Water charges, unemployment benefits during covid, reducing pension age down here but increasing it in the north, the list just goes on and on.

This isnt a bash SF post its just proving once again that specific poster is completely incorrect in their claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Same as, not being a bash SF post, just that it was a bit of a lazy assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think you summed it nicely there. It is going to be a non event shortly. The only thing I would demur on is who gets criticised. You are in a very big majority here, with your opposition to MUP. Anyone who suggests that it is not some sort of conspiracy gets savage treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie - very reliable from all of my past dealings. Head over to the brewing forum - plenty of advise on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,193 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Anyone who suggests that it is not some sort of conspiracy gets savage treatment.

This is what I find weirdest about this thread.

The total and utter belief by many people that this is a great conspiracy to get people back drinking in pubs and that the measure has zero, and I mean zero, basis in health.

And I'm sure as soon as this is posted the reply will be the 2011 FG election promise that will be trotted out as irrefutable proof that it's a conspiracy.

Has anyone who believes this actually looked at pubs and what has been happening to pubs in the past 20 years ?

For the last two decades, even before COVID, the pubs business has been dying.

Very few are going into pubs anymore, rural pubs are particularly hard hit.

Pubs that were open all day 7 days a week were only opening from 8pm at the weekends pre COVID.

In the small town I live in the number of pubs dropped from 7 to 4 in 13 years and post COVID will be down to one.

In bigger towns there are nowhere near the numbers going into pubs and many are empty mid week.

Even in cities it's totally changed.

A few years ago I was in Dublin on a normal October week.

I went to Ranelagh one mid week night to see what it was like.

20+ years a go there would have been a decent crowd in places like McSorley's, but they were empty, a handful of people at the bar, no atmosphere.

Many more pubs have been sold and their sites redeveloped (O' Dwyer's - "Howl at the Mooon" in Mount St. for example)

Loads of pubs all over the country are closed and never coming back.

And the reason for this is changed behaviors/lifestyle choices, drink driving laws and the smoking ban.

So how can so many believe that MUP is the political parties and independent TDs in Ireland (all of them because they all supported it) taking some sort of a moonshot at reviving the already dead industry ?

Think about it.

Plus the fact that the Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018, contains much more than just MUP. The other measures are hardly going to help the publicans.

An Act to provide for the minimum price per gram of alcohol, to confer the power on the Minister for Health to, by order, increase that price, to provide for the labelling of alcohol products including the inclusion of health warnings and the alcohol content and energy content of alcohol products on alcohol product containers, to provide that an applicant for the grant or renewal of a licence under the Licensing Acts 1833 to 2011 and an applicant for the grant or renewal of a licence under the Registration of Clubs Acts 1904 to 2008 shall notify the Health Service Executive of the application, to provide for restrictions in relation to the advertising and sponsorship of alcohol products, generally and in relation to children, to provide procedures in relation to the exposure for sale and advertising of alcohol products in specified licensed premises, to confer power on the Minister for Health to make regulations for the purpose of prohibiting or restricting the sale of alcohol products in certain circumstances, to provide for enforcement measures, to provide for the repeal of certain provisions of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003 and the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008 , and to provide for related matters.

If AAI believe that increasing prices tends to reduce alcohol consumption they must also believe that reducing prices increases consumption.

Consider the following, it is extremely easy following an investment of about €600 to make 94% pure ethanol spirit, if you mix the spirit with water in a 40:60 ratio you have (despite what Smirnoff might tell you) the drink called vodka. The entire process from commencing the fermentation of the wash to drinking your first Martini is 7 days. Ironically the IRA ran a very slick counterfeit brand name vodka scheme back in the day.

A small home-still run; generally yields about 7L of vodka which can be then further flavoured or drank straight or mixed. Sugar is used to ferment the wash and each 1KG potentially yields 500gms of alcohol, but most shiners aim for at least 400gm.The costs are as follows, bearing in mind that MUP places a 10c minimum per gram of alcohol.

Grain Bill

Sugar 1KG €1.00

Yeast 12G €0.12

Sub total €1.12

Energy €0.18

Total €1.30

Yield of Ethanol 400gm

Ethanol cost per gram €0.0032

A small time stiller could do a fermentation and a spirit run every day it would take 2 or 3 hours in total and produce about 70×70cl a week and expect to sell at 7-10e a bottle as against 22.50e in a shop.

Since the people in the categories that are meant to be protected by this legislation can mostly get coke/weed/tobacco and pirate Sky by sending a text, it is very likely that hooch will on that menu.

This means that alcohol will be cheaper and available all hours and consumption will increase among vulnerable groups. The official figures will show a drop as people substitute by buying abroad, in NI and from bootleggers but the unrecorded increase in consumption and the diminution in quality will surely lead to increased deaths from alcohol in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why are the LVA and Off Licence Association so much in favour of it? Why have they latched onto a supposed anti alcohol health measure, given that is their business?

Why was it lobbed for 20+ times at the Dail by the LVA et al?

This is the same lobby that got Michael McDowell's cafe bar plans shot down. Was that a conspiracy?

Had they not lobbied for MUP it may have just remained a report on a shelf somewhere.

Had they lobbied against MUP, I don't think it would have been passed, it certainly would not have passed with so little debate and opposition. And that opposition might have been enough to get voters to pay attention, and nip it in the bud.

The strawman in your argument is that they "all" have to be in on it. They don't. Instead it was a one way street of the alcohol 'gatekeepers' and their cronies cheerleading and giving momentum to a measure initiated by those who believe in it as a health measure. I think in the long run LVA and off licences will regret getting into bed with anti alcohol activists over MUP, they have opened a door by effectively accepting that they are peddling a product whose consumption needs to be reduced.

Why wasnt the ban on below cost selling reintroduced in the years waiting for MUP when we were awash in so called cheap drink? If it was such a pressing health concern?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Great post. When we get to the point where illegal moonshine is killing people, these dickless wonders will make the pikachu faces and wonder how they can stop or reduce it. Everything that happens as a consequence of this, from families of alcoholics going without food to people dying of bad batches of home brewed spirits is on the head of every single TD who supported it, the AAI and every other group that lobbied for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not sure what the people pointing to other acts under a similar vein and crying conspiracy theory are trying to say with their posts. It is not beyond the realms of possibilities that the Irish government would look after the breweries and publicans in this country. As a matter of fact, MUP seems to benefit the breweries and retailers more than anyone else. It might be another thing if the government weren't steeped in cronyism and nepotism and if so many of them weren't involved directly in the drinks industry themselves.

Yes, it is rolled out a lot on this thread that FG said they planned to get 'more bums on seats in the pubs' in 2011, and it may not always be used in the best way, but the fact is they did say it, and it is now a law. It is allegedly to benefit less than roughly 1% of the people on this island (at my estimation), and has been enforced despite many times saying it wouldn't work properly without Northern Ireland being onboard.

Accusing others of conspiracy theories in an attempt to water down their credibility/believability and throwing in some sort of proof that the government are really trying because they cordoned off an area in the supermarket is just as absurd to be honest.

I don't necessarily believe that the sole reason for it, is to benefit the publicans and retailers/breweries, but it would definitely have been on their mind that it would, and/or been pointed out to them. As previously mentioned they are the ones that stand to gain most from this law.

This is the exact wording they used, and a paragraph I’m going to print out and use to make every single FG doorstepper squirm when election time comes around:

Supporting Irish Pubs: Fine Gael recognises the importance of the Irish pub for tourism, rural jobs and as a social outlet in communities across the country. We will support the local pub by banning the practice of below cost selling on alcohol, particularly by large supermarkets and the impact this has had on alcohol consumption and the viability of pubs.

The Vintners themselves seem to be very concerned about getting MUP in -> even coming up with some ridiculous fake-moralising during the pandemic

Vintners call for minimum unit pricing on off-licence sales 'to curb house party outbreaks'

THE VINTNERS’ FEDERATION of Ireland has called on the Government to immediately introduce Minimum Unit Pricing (MUP) to combat Covid.

As if the pubs give a fook about public health

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's another hill for the DUP to die on. They're talking about pulling the rug out from under Stormont which would mean Westminster would have to impose laws, just like they did for other things they DUP fought against when everyone knew they'd be overridden.

There's an election on the 5th of May too so it could be brought up as a jobs and money issue.

• Advertisement

Yeah, well aware.

I wonder what happened between 2011 and 2021 that made them implement it for our health, and no longer for the pubs. Also, why didn't they prevent the profits from going to the retailers and breweries, and instead go toward some funding for alcohol awareness or other needed programs.

Lies lies and lies, we should expect nothing else from the shower of **** parading as a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

AAI now pushing for all ads to be banned, god forbid a child sees an advert for Guinness - this group are on par with the Catholic church

Deaths caused by alcohol at highest level since 2008 in Scotland | Alcohol | The Guardian

I think it’s time AAI were wound up - at the very least we should be asking serious questions about the funding for this group now that they’ve achieved their aim to make the most expensive country in the EU even more expensive for a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I think you are drinking a bad batch now.

The ridiculous sensationalism of people would entitle you to be either a Joe Duffy wannabe or a daily mail reporter.

Supermarkets went far too far with below cost selling and this is the result.

Selling slabs below the cost of the duty alone and each competing to go cheaper to the detriment of many.

So fire your ire at those that brought prices so low that there was no choice in the matter.

To be fair to AAI, they are doing a great job in terms of what their purpose is. But it should be pointed out often, that it is very easy to regurgitate ideas implemented elsewhere without any pushback from any opposing group. I can't see any pro alcohol charity being set up and funded by the government any time soon.

I think there should be a big push to get all charities off the government funding. I will not let that drop when any politicians call to my door. Ludicrous that these blaggers are taking so much money. They can take it as a compliment if they want with the type of bullcrap that is often spewed out like 'that's how you know it's working'.. But I genuinely believe that any other group could have done a better job than these chancers. They are on the gravy train far too long and have come up with nothing themselves, and what they have pushed is very poor or not suitable for Ireland.

Was it the publicans in Scotland and Wales who conspired with their governments? Is it the publicans in the North who conspired to get this study done?

Making Life Better – Preventing Harm & Empowering Recovery: A Strategic Framework to Tackle the Harm from Substance Use

https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/consultations/health/doh-sus-consultation.pdf

Should the title of that really be: Making Life Better for Publicans - Preventing Harm to Our Pubs - A Strategic Framework to Tackle loss of our trade to Supermarkets ?

Don’t even refer to the prices we had as “cheap” or anything like that, we were 85% more expensive than the rest of the Eu before this came in - go in to a supermarket in Spain or Germany if you want to see what cheap alcohol is priced at.

And I'll post this again. Is it that you don't understand it or what? I'll try normal text this time but capitalise it next time if you still can't get your head round it let me know and I'll do all caps next time.

1) It was in Fine Gael's manifesto as a way to get people back into pub

2) If it was about health then raise the duty. That way at least there could be a justification for it. Instead the retailers, wholesalers, distributors and manufacturers of the extremely dangerous substance are getting increased profits.

• Advertisement

The excise tax on alcohol in Scotland isn't nearly as high as it is in Ireland. We already have crazy high prices on alcohol here before MUP and MUP per gram was much higher here than Scotland. You can accuse people of being conspiracy theorists all you like, but it isn't that big a stretch to believe. It's not a major event or law, it is easily slipped in without most of the population even noticing.

Comparing alcohol taxation throughout the European Union

Supermarkets went far too far with below cost selling and this is the result.

It could be equally argued (more effectively imo) that the government went too far in adding taxes to alcohol that caused the push back in the first place.

I can't imagine there will be little or no push back when this hits home. Especially the next holiday season or bank holiday for example, after January.

Advertisement