Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 Emirates FA Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Obviously disallowed. Daft body check from Ramsey. No doubt the conspiracy theorists will think otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Looked to be correct decision but the inconsistencies with VAR is maddening . They did a forensic check for this one but ignore blatant calls at other times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The officials did everything to try and disallow that goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

United very lucky there and Bruno blessed not to be carded at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I swear one day I'll watch Villa play United and not be on the wrong end of a huge controversial refereeing decision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Villa are surely going to score.

United will be doing well to finish with 11, 3 quick bookings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

So much for Ragnick being some sort of tactical genius, Man Utd are just as clueless as they were under Ole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Rashford just gave up there.

Xenophobic media tried to make out Ronaldo was a problem to defend the British dross. He's been covering this team's deficiencies. Most of the defence needs to be binned along with McFred. Rangnick is another yes man like Solskjaer if he doesn't push for signings this window. He has to know by now most of this lot are well off it.

Not sure how Rashford lasted 85 minutes, another very poor game from him.

United will be happy with the win but certainly not with the performance. Villa really should have scored but didn't take any of the many chances they created.

Got the result, and always nice to see Gerrard glum, but another poor performance. I hope Rangnick is making a strong case behind the scenes for fresh faces as the midfield seems to get bossed every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Lineker stating the law that meant the Villa goal was disallowed.

Another day it would have stood though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

3rd Round Result

Manchester United 1 V 0 Aston Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

United got away with one tonight. They didn't deserve the win. It'll paper over the cracks, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Man U have not looked good at all under Ralf.

Scrapping results just like Ole did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Paper over the cracks? I think every United fan, and I assume everyone at the club, is under no illusion about the current problems and the work that needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

It wasn’t daft, it was clearly his role to block the run of defender at the back post. Perhaps he could’ve been a bit more subtle about it, but Cavani did his best to make sure VAR had something to check. Correct decision for offside though it seems by the wording of the law … but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that given before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Manchester United were absolutely awful until Van De Beek came on thought they were comfortable after that Villa really should have won the game though cant miss that many chances at this level.

The VAR decision to me looked like they were looking for an excuse to rule it out if it takes nearly 4 minutes it's not clear and obvious.

What has happened to Marcus Rashford looks like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders he needs dropping for a few games it's like playing with 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Why do you think the team’s performance has collapsed since Ronaldo joined?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Nice to adopt the foetal position early.

There are two main issues here with VAR.

One. This will happen about 10 times across the premier League games this weekend and will not have the same outcome each time. Inconsistency. This is the most frustrating part of VAR which I think is a great tool, just being (mis)managed by tools.

Two. Using VAR in a section of ties only at the same level of a tournament. Ridiculous.

Your first issue is not a part of VAR. Its existed long before VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

That's a fair point, but back then it was a split second decision that was made, without recourse to having extra information to review. Could you blame a linesman for a close incorrect call - probably not? Now that issue should be resolved by VAR, and those lovely lines. Other decisions seem to be "subjective" i.e. Harry Kane not getting sent off when apparently everyone in the world expect the VAR person and the referee knew this was the decision. There the ones I thought VAR would resolve correctly.

On The other hand, VAR corrects most wrong decisions and while its there, there’ll never be atomic bomb decisions with french men playing basketball in penalty areas.

VAR is better than non VAR and is here to stay.

I thought this for a while but I’m at the point now where I’d rather bin it.

I don’t think VAR in itself is bad, rather that it is run by people that are incapable of using it sensibly.

We’ll continue to see it waved away in so many of the cases that we want it used for, because they don’t want to overrule referees, and instead primarily used for tedious nothing incidents where applying it won’t end up being viewed as undermining the ref.

Yes, you see situations where you’re like ‘yes I’m glad VAR was there for that, it would have been missed otherwise’ but the situations where it should be used and isn’t, and applied where we don’t need to. IMO these outweigh the good we get from VAR unless we’re going to stop seeing referees being treated like infallible institutions.

Tedious nothing incidents? its used for penalties, red cards and goals.

the premier league clubs were given The option of removing it. They came out in force wanting it kept.

Im referring to what they’ve been disallowing goals for from the outset. So many for nothing stuff that would never ever have been given by a referee pre-VAR. And not the kind of incidents that caused legitimate grievances by anyone.

They’ve completely bastardised the application of both the offside and handball rules from day 1. Ridiculously over refereeing through VAR. Then you look at some of the penalties or red cards that haven’t been given by VAR because of there being a really high bar for reversal, how do these things go hand in hand?

why do you think PL teams want it kept if it is detrimental?

• Advertisement

I don’t really see why you’d consider that to be the determining factor in the discussion, rather than simply addressing your opinion on the specific points I’d raised.

i think its absolutely the key factor.

I think The Joe Soap doesnt like VAR because he thinks it got a decision wrong is completely subjective and without merit in comparison to The overall fact that The participants in The league are all in favour of it.

Absolutely don’t agree. They’ve a whole different set of interests to the spectator. I’m not saying their perspective is invalid or irrelevant but it is absolutely different.

Last night showed the problems for United are not the fault of Ronaldo, but too many poor players from the Mourinho era. The McFred combo is not good enough and the FBs are poor. Lindelof should have been moved on by now as well. I hope Rangnick is smart enough to see it but some of his recent comments about new signings not being needed suggest he may be another Glazer puppet. On the positive side, at least the fans aren't going to put up with mediocrity due to hero worship like with the last coach.

No chance we see body checks like that go unpunished at the weekend. We'll see plenty of grappling alright and that should have been stamped out by now but the main issue was Ramsey stupidly fouling Cavani in the box unnecesarily.

Realistically, Shaw's hit on Konsa that busted him open is more of a foul than the Ramsey one. Shaw even looks over his shoulder at him before the contact is made so while I'm not saying its intentional, we can't say he doesn't know he is there either. And yet, this one falls under the super high bar. And it just makes such little sense.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FI0hPBAXEAI7acS?format=jpg&name=medium

The PL teams are The ones who decide If they want VAR or not. Their perspective is all that matters. Debating whether VAR should be kept is incredibly futile when 1- your opinion doesnt matter 2- The ones that do matter are 20-0 in favour of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

It wasn’t a foul, Michael Oliver saw it and told Cavani to get up. You will see 20 examples of it in the premier league this weekend. The only nuance here is Ramsay did it from an offside position.

They chalked up a rare victory last night.

Mcfred, lindelof were there last season, Ronaldo wasnt. The teams performance was hugely superior last season. What gives….

I’d imagine I’m only gonna have to root about a page or 2 into your posting history to find you complaining about something not being good, that you ultimately don’t have any control over.

• Advertisement

indeed you might, but The constant complaints about VAR from some when it is clearly here forever and that all teams are in favour of is an extreme example of pursuing futility.

As opposed to the other things we complain about not liking, and yet still don’t have control over?

yeah i find that approach all stupid to be honest but theres a stage where something is a new subject for conversation and worth having and a stage where its not worth having. The conversation about VAR every weekend should have stopped months ago, The chat about referees appartently being bad at their job should have stopped decades ago. How people can recycle The same conversations every weekend about VAR and referees. Its a certain type of psychosis to do it over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

4th Round

Friday 4th February - (20:00)

Manchester United V Middlesbrough - Live on ITV

Saturday 5th February - 15:00 unless stated

Chelsea V Plymouth Argyle - (12:30) - Live on BBC Red Button

Kidderminster Harriers V West Ham United - (12:30) - Live on BBC One

Crystal Palace V Hartlepool United

Everton V Brentford

Huddersfield Town V Barnsley

Manchester City V Fulham Athletic

Peterborough United V Queens Park Rangers

Southampton V Coventry City

Stoke City V Wigan Athletic

Wolverhampton Wanderers V Norwich City

Cambridge United V Luton Town - (17:30) - Live on BBC Red Button

Tottenham Hotspur V Brighton & Hove Albion - (20:00) - Live on ITV4

Sunday 6th February

Liverpool V Cardiff City - (12:00) - Live on ITV

Nottingham Forest V Leicester City - (16:00) - Live on BBC One

AFC Bournemouth V Boreham Wood - (18:30) - Live on ITV4

I wonder will we get anymore cup upsets today.

City vs Fulham could be a very good game shame its not on the box.

Plymouth gone 1 up against Chelsea.

• Advertisement

Kidderminster 1 up against West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ten minutes to hold out. Mon the Harriers!

Chelsea into extra time with Plymouth

Kidderminster concede in the 91st minute :(

1-1 now.

Extratime for Kidderminster and West Ham as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement