Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Fireman's switch, some minor bits and paperwork required by SEAI

Would fireman switch not be a good idea anyway?

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician.

I don't see the point of the fireman's switch myself. So it has to be within 1.5 meters of where the cables enter into the roof. In theory this sounds good, a quick way if making the solar installation safe from the PV charge coming in. In reality? Would you be climbing through the crawl space of the attic to get to the firemans switch to turn it off when your house is burning down? No - I'd be getting the hell out of it!

So then it's useful for the actual fireman, right? Don't think so, as it's often hidden inside the crawl space in a way that it's not easily known. A fireman from your local bridgage ain't going to know where it is. Not regulation in the UK as far as I'm aware. Only ireland.

Maybe I'm missing something and need to be educated. I'm ok with that, if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Missing something ? You never took into account the 20 tonnes of crap which are also in the attic, so it's likely that you'll break your neck getting to it, or you'll never find it

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

In my install, the fireman's switch is controlled by mains ac being available. If the mains goes, then the panels are isolated without the need for someone to get to the switch to turn them off.

This is one of the problems of using an EPS standby circuit in that the power can only come from the battery, and nothing from the panels as they are isolated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Not sure if you've climbed up into your attic to have a look, but the fireman's switch isn't a switch per se, but rather a spring loaded DC disconnect. It requires AC to keep the contactor energised. Basically means that the fire services can pull the main ESB fuse at meter box and ensure house is de-energised. The main reason people dislike them is that they mean that your PV system cannot generate during a power cut on a sunny day (EPS/backup supplies excepted).

Fair point and I didn't realise that it was a spring loaded solonoid or something.

I always thought that since the inverter was grid powered, with the grid going down that would be the root cause for the inverter to go inoperative and hence no production in grid outage scenario (or main fuse pulled). So the firemans switch does help a little there, but it's really only in the wiring from the firemans switch itself into the inverter, which is powered down in that scenario. Not sure it really helps much.....but again, I'm not a spark.

Perhaps they have a reason that the UK authorities decided wasn't an issue for them. I don't have a big issue with it or anything, but would just like to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

Anyone care to DM me with recommendations? Dublin area, doing a full house renovation. Know nothing about solar panels but feel like i should look at putting them in. Trying to read up on them and educate myself, but if anyone has any recommendations of good decent companies please pass them on.

PM sent with both the usual suspects (Sligo and Enniskillen suppliers)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keg

What’s the estimated payback on a battery and panel install now in 2022?

Depends a lot on what system you get in, and if you got fleeced or not with the install price. There are some.....let's call them "pricey" operators out there. Your typical 5Kwp in panels and 5Kwhr battery with EDDI with a decent price and you'd be looking at 10-12 years for an average house in Ireland.

Thats a how long is a piece of string question.

It depends on so many factors ie how many people are in the house, heating system types, EV and how big of a PV system you're going to get.

My only advice is go big on the panels and no less than a 5kw battery.

DM sent, the supplier i used will give you a better idea and good guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CryoSat

I have a quote for a 6.2Kw system that I think is fairly reasonable which i've included below. Any other provider recommendations would be appreciated.

Panels: Qcells ML-G9 390w gapless white backsheet x16

Inverter: Solis 5th Gen Hybrid Inverter 5kW x1

Battery: PureDrive II - 5kW Battery x1

Mounting system : Renusol

Total: €9000 after SEAI grant

No water diverter (Eddie, iBoost) and the inverter should be 6kw.

Post edited by MAULBROOK on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JAG777

New to this - but will be going ahead with a domestic solar installation - in the Midlands.

Would really appreciate a PM with a couple of recommended suppliers to proceed with.

Thanks !

Your too harsh mate! :-) It's over a bit to be sure, but it's not a crazy quote by any stretch of the imagination. But yeah, defo try and get the 6Kw inverter - it'll future proof you for a year or two down the line if you ever upgrade the number of panels , and it should be only an extra 150-200 euros.

The eddi/iBoost, yeah, it's neat an all (bought one myself) but not if payback is your primary goal.

Thanks for the feedback @bullit_dodger and @MAULBROOK. I have a combi boiler so no water tank for an Eddi. The 6Kw inverter, I asked about this already and was told the availability is extremely limited but it would add €100 to the quote if available.

• Advertisement

Quote isn't the worst, but a bit high. If you have a combi boiler, do you have a use in mind for all that generation? A smaller system might give better ROI (I'm discounting the FIT, because it will probably be crap. Self use is the aim of the game).

True, edit done, I need to keep reminding myself that costs have gone up due to supply line shortages.

Good question @Jonathan and something I haven't given huge consideration to. I had originally planned for a smaller system but given the cost difference for putting up the additional panels now rather than later I thought it may be better to just fill the roof. With 2 of us working long term from home I would hope that we'd be able to use a significant amount of what's produced changing our usage habits although doing some quick calculations from the estimated solar production we'd have a fair bit of excess in the summer months.

Wise move on filling the roof.

True - most of us are the same that in summer we have an excess of production. It's in the spring/autumn that you need to build out your system and target your production to match demand. Yeah, you could try and do the same for winter, as in chuck a load of panels on the roof to make up for the bad weather.....but many days in Dec/Jan are just so poor no matter what you have on the roof it won't make much difference.

E.g. here are my numbers for the first week in Jan.

This is off a 14x panels amounting to 5.3Kwp (albeit East/West facing which isn't great in Winter). My consumption is 30+ units/day ..... so I'm not even making 10%. However once March/April comes along we'll ticking along nicely ! Good to set expectations from the getgo that Nov-Feb are just generally "meh" months and that we all suffer.

Also had a few tell me a 6kw was hard to get at moment.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keg

Have a heat pump which is using on a average 11KWh of electricity per day but a max of 24KWh in January and a minimum of 2 from May through to September.

Herself is a school teacher so is out of home most of the day but is at home then for the holidays.

I mainly work away from home.

No electric car yet but next car will likely be a Phev at a minimum.

I have a heat pump using 5 times that average, but that is another thread!

😎

20 panels 6.2kw I'm aiming for 6 more panels but that's for another day.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, but as I recall your orientation is better than east/west? But the point was more to be realistic that Nov-Feb is geneally "not good".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement