Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think we're all agreed that he didn't need the money (not that there was any).

So why did he go to the Belgrade Tennis Association awards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I wouldn't be surprised to see him win it now. I wouldn't pay too much attention to his lack of prep time because of this, week one of pretty much any slam is a training session to him. Part of me would almost like to see him do it to give two fingers to the Australian government.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

their is no excuse.

I think its 14 days of isolation in Serbia so while I might had a little pity if on day 11 he said "**** this I need to get out of the house"...he did not even make a token attempt to isolate and the next day went about his business without a care in the world.

That's dire.

He'll should address the movements of the 17th and 18th and when he got the result from the lab (the test was completed at 8pm in the evening of the 16th)

He was being pcr tested routinely people have claimed (not sure of source)

But as I posted on another thread earlier on about that Tennis awards picture

If it was a case of either wanting to believe either of (deliberately extreme in the case of option 1)

1. He spat into the mouth of each child as they arrived and left or
    2. He nipped into the back behind a group for a quick snap

There are those who will go for option 1 and those who go for option 2 and that was already pre-decided

Of course he should be isolating if he knew that he was positive

For the photo shoot on the 18th he did a short interview with masks on L'Equipe have said and some photos with no mask on

He tested negative on Dec 22

He was spotted on Dec 25, 9 days after positive test in a garden restricted to residents of his apartment complex

If you test negative 6 days or more after your positive test you can reduce your isolation time in most countries

I'm not making excuses for what he did, there' s a circle that's impossible to square here. It's either that he knew he wasn't actually positive or he thought there wasn't anything wrong with what he did. My suspicion is the former, but we'll never know that.

But what nobody has asked in the midst of all the opprobrium is why did he go to the Belgrade Tennis Association awards? What did he have to gain from going to them? Money, titles? Or is it a question that the reactionaries would rather not consider.

• Advertisement

News reports saying that the Australians will make a decision on whether or not to deport him anyway tomorrow Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

The mother who said that her son had been "subject to torture and harassment" during his stay! More considered - emm.

It is considered compared to what Srdjan comes out with 😀

And the harassment isn't incorrect when you consider what he's had to go through having gone there to play tennis. Having to watch Nigel Farage barge his way into your personal crisis and you're helpless to stop it, that would be tantamount to torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I tell ya one thing, whether you're pro vaccine or anti vaccine or pro Nole or anti Nole or pro Serbia or anti Serbia or pro Australia or anti Australia....you cannot but admire the man's resiliency and fortitude and unwavering belief...

Go and win number 21, Nole!!!!!!

I'm not making excuses for what he did, there' s a circle that's impossible to square here.

It's either that he knew he wasn't actually positive or he thought there wasn't anything wrong with what he did. My suspicion is the former, but we'll never know that.

there is a cloud over this aspect for sure

there is no getting around it

surely will have to be addressed by Djokovic at some point - he will be asked about surely and will have to say something

still not sure if he will be playing if the Australians "go nuclear" tomorrow

but 3 years would be excessive and damage the tournament, far worse than it is at the moment.

but that would make Djokovic a complete martyr really and go worse for the Australians imo

(wouldn't like to be an Australian in Serbia if that happened!)

either way they cocked up the whole process internally and booting out Djokovic now isn't going to redeem much for them

but of course any decision will be taken purely on the basis of the politicians' self-interest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Was this not posted on here today?

At this stage you'd kinda hope the test is fake and he wasn't mixing with all those kids maskless after testing positive.

discussed in last couple of pages

Djokovic family press conference today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

So how long does the immigration minister have to deport Djokovic, does he have to make a decision within a certain timeframe, e.g. by the end of this week or could he send Djokovic home during the tournament, e.g. day before the final.

I honestly can't see them sending him home now as it would only make this fiasco worse, if that's even possible.

News reports are that a decision will be communicated tomorrow (Tuesday).

So should be known by tomorrow morning Irish time I would say.

In reality it won't be the immigration minister making a decision - it will be the PM Scott Morrison telling him what to do.

I didn't think that they would send him home because there is normally a "no return for 3 years" policy on being deported.

But apparently they could maybe send him home and not insist on that 3 year period.

It will be a politically motivated decision - just like the start of this debacle.

The Aussies like to think that they are real "hardballers" so who knows what will be the outcome.

But I suppose that even if he's just "banished" for a year that it will make Djokovic a bit of a martyr - for Serbians anyway.

Interesting fact of the day: Scott Morrison and Alex Hawke (Immigration Minister) are both members of the controversial Hillsong Church.

SMH poll is 60-37 in favour of Djokovic being let play. If it's representative, then it's hard to see Hawke-ScoMo choosing to deport him.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/djokovic-case-shows-morrison-government-has-lost-all-perspective-20220111-p59na9.html

that poll has probably been gamed by Serbians tho lol

The Australian politicians would probably do it out of spite alone at this point because Djokovic didn't roll over like a good little Tennis player who the Aussie gubbermint were going to show who is boss and demonstrate to the electorate how much of tough guys they were by cancelling him out of "their" big tournament and shipping him off home smooth and pronto last week with his tail between his legs!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That presser may open a whole new can of worms now.

• Advertisement

So what do we reckon at this stage, is he staying or going?

Tbh I don't really know what the sentiment in Australia is, but surely the fallout of letting an unvaccinated tennis player who missed a deadline stay would be worse than that of having him deported?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I'm fairly certain he'll be let stay now, I'd be astonished if they sent him home at this stage, but, nearly everything in this fiasco is astonishing so anything is possible I suppose.

Would probably have been the case before the court case. But now that a court of law has found in his favour, it's no longer as simple as whether he needs to be vaccinated or not to get in. There's now the potential optics of legislature riding roughshod over the judiciary to be considered. I don't recall the judge highlighting any deadline Djokovic missed, but I might have missed that. The judge did say, "what more could this man have done?", so I don't think in the eyes of the court any deadline was missed.

To answer your question, I think he's staying, at least for tomorrow, but if the Morrison govt before the start of the AO think a majority of the public would want him gone, they'll deport him. But once the AO begins, he's there until he loses.

The deadline which was only a self-imposed deadline by Tennis Australia is a non-issue really.

All the judge did was rule that Djokovic was pressured and didn't get sufficient time as per procedure to consider things at the airport when his visa was cancelled.

A procedural thing.

He didn't make any judgement on the entry requirements.

The government through the immigration minster can just can him home if they want.

I imagine that will come down to some calculation on political capital vs fallout

@Josip Any chat in Serbia about Djokovic's positive test and photoshoots etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

He won't address it. Just to correct the test was completed at 1pm that day and the result returned on 8pm that day. Source - document his legal team supplied and multiple news sources.

he'll be asked about it ad nauseum unless he addresses it

will have to wait until the next tournament press conference from wherever he plays in next for that

I know the lab test was completed at 8pm - it was at the top of my post :)

Quite similar to here. There a lot of people in Serbia that don't like Djokovic and the last week would have seen a doubling down of existing positions.

• Many Serbs are suspicious of Djokovic because he doesn't eat meat.
    • His attraction to Rasputin-like gurus (Imaz and Jafarieh) is also a cause for concern.
    • According to my nephew, young people don't like him and only people over 40 support him. But that's anecdotal and maybe my nephew is hanging out with the wrong crowd.
    • Many are critical of his tennis centre. He got a lot of grants from the govt for it, as long as he brought in big tournaments. He employs his family to run it. Some of the nepotism claims might have a basis, but most people would accept that Djokovic feels an immense debt to his family for everything they sacrificed for his career, both parents and siblings. It's also a reason why he won't criticise his father for his more inane utterances.
    • Critical of his family, or to be more specific, his father and his uncle who apparently is worse. His mother is generally considered to be normal, as is Jelena. Jury is out on Djorde but my son thinks he's sound because he gave him a fist bump last summer. Farage inviting himself in and the family not telling him to fcuk right off does get a lot of criticism.
    • He would get a lot of support because of his strong religious beliefs.
    • He would get a lot of support, and some criticism, for his bigger Balkan view of things and not just focusing on Serbia. That's in no small part due to his mother being a Croat. This again would have been a factor in the ill-advised Adria tour. As with a lot of things Novak, motivation-good, thinking-it-through-bad.
    • He gets no more criticism than anyone else over there for not taking a vaccine. Only half the country is vaccinated, there's a lot of vaccine hesitancy, so it's a lot easier to be a holdout over there than over here.
    • I haven't heard any criticism for him not wearing a mask for the awards. The tennis community is very supportive of him, he gives loads of his time encouraging the sport and for those kids at the awards, it would have been the highlight of their year. Most teenagers in Serbia have naturally contracted Covid by now. I doubt if he was the only one in that photo Covid-positive, if he even was. The Chinese vaccine provided much less protection that Pfizer or even AZ so even those who were vaccinated were contracting the strain before Delta.
    • The stamp ceremony was on the 16th, but the photos were uploaded on the 17th. I have the stamp (and every Serbian/Yugoslav stamp back to 1963)
    • He gets a lot of criticism when he loses; a lot of Serbs changed from being supporters to being critics when he had his slump.
    • As with all countries, you have to be cautious about what you read in the media and where you read/hear it. Most of the media is state (Vucic) controlled although for something like this, they wouldn't bother exercising much control. The rags will nevertheless try to whip up outrage wherever they can. The biggest tabloid there ran a headline that "Nadal doesn't want Djokovic to play in the AO" whereas what Nadal actually said was complimentary towards Djokovic.

Noises that the Australians may string it out another day instead of making a decision today.

Must be looking at/ doing some more online polls!

• Advertisement

Tomic decides to tell the umpire mid-match in his qualifying loss that he thinks that he will test positive for Covid.

Will there be an outbreak of pearl-clutching?

Advertisement