Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

yep. for the last 10/15mins of the half he was sloppy. And looked frustrated with his team mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Jesus they’ve had to work really hard to deny us that goal. Absolute joke of a decision.

Shaw and Bruno should be in the book for persistent fouls at this stage.

No way. Obvious planned obstruction by Ramsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Absolute disgrace, they looked at every single thing imaginable. Do you think if the roles were reversed that would happen?

That’s it though isn’t it. Couldn’t give offside, couldn’t give handball. Give it for obstruction so.

Cavani ran straight into Ramsey I thought, is Ramsey supposed to just get out of his way?

I’d like to see Emi off and Cairney on.

Can’t believe we’re losing this game.

• Advertisement

It's been a robbery if we go out.

Our fbs have been poor again, thankfully Digne should improve things on the left.

El Ghazi was a waste of a sub. Not what you need if you’re looking for energy or urgency.

Hopefully that's his last game for us.

ACoNs could be keeping him at the club with Traore and Trez both at it and Bailey out injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Sums it up really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

BBC read out the law and sounds like it may have been the correct decision based on current wording. Certainly not a foul as no obligation to get out of the way, but by being in an offside position he then interferes with a player who could win the ball.

Very harsh though and reminds me a little bit of the Mings one from last year when an obscure interpretation of the defender ‘intentionally’ playing the ball rules an attacker inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Did anyone ever think for a minute we were getting through a game against United where we either didn’t get something given (at which point the letter of the law isn’t quite so rigorous) or they get something given where we’re told that it’s the correct decision and would be applied consistently week after week.

Have we had a game against United since promotion actually where we weren’t on the wrong side of a game changing controversial decision that splits opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Yeah despite understanding why it was disallowed in the end, it still seemed to be a case of VAR trying to find any way to not give the goal. Funny thing is, the first issue they looked at … I’m pretty sure Ings is offside as Watkins gets a little touch on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If they had of disallowed for that after 30 seconds, I might question it a bit but accept it. The fact that they took 4 minutes and looked at everything after it to try disallow before going back to that is what pisses me off the most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

If Man U got relegated with 2 wins both of them would have been against us and with some controversial decision.

We played really well though. Thought Ings and Watkins had their best game together so far.

Var is for clear and obvious foul.

So clear a obvious it took them that long to find something after check everything.

Its corruption , some will say sour grapes but when it happens so often its clear as day

It wasn’t disallowed for a foul. Was disallowed for Ramsey being adjudged offside when he was deemed to have blocked off Cavani. Confused? That’s probably because it’s not something I can really remember seeing given before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It was for the adjudged foul on Cavani I thought.

That’s what I think everyone thought. Instead, it was given for Ramsey being in an offside position when he blocked Cavani. The implication being that if he was onside it would have been fine; which is strange.

Coutinho unveiled earlier this evening, can he play at the weekend?

Digne discussing personal terms. Kerr Smith (young CB) signing agreed.

El Ghazi possibly heading to Everton too.

We're having a busy window so far.

I just hope that the obviously positive business we’ve been doing doesn’t distract from the fact that we desperately need a DM. 3 top signings in a January window feels like too much to hope for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yeah, also the fact that after last night we’ve lost the last 3 games, we need something on Saturday

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Technically I think he can but doubt he will be fit.

...and score the winner.

You left a bit out of your post! 😁

I laughed at this

• Advertisement

Bit harsh on Mings that.

While I agree he needs upgrading on, his leadership skills are matched by no one else in the squad.

My bigger concern with that team is Luiz in the DM position. He's too lightweight and casual to play there. As a result I'd rather bring in someone short term to play that role for the second part of the season.

Harsh but funny. I love Mings. When we were in the Championship he looked like our answer to VVD. At this level he gets caught out way too often but he’s a leader and we’re much less of a team without him.

Agree with you on Luiz. Thought he looked interesting when played in a more attacking role recently but he really doesn’t have the focus and bite to be a proper DM. If we don’t bring someone in for that position in the window, it’ll be a disappointing window. Digne and Coutinho are interesting signings but they’re opportunistic rather than essential.

Yeah agreed, opportunistic signings rather than badly needed. Bit like Ronaldo at Man Utd.

I'd like to see both Luiz and McGinn played higher up the pitch but we're stacked in that area and devoid of a DCM.

I think Buendia would benefit massively from that DCM, it will disappointing if we don't get that player as that was surely the priority at the start of this window.

Yeah, Mings isn’t bad. He isn’t great either.

Traore tests positive for Covid now and looking at missing the next 2 games in ACoNs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Honestly with a strong DM like (just because he keeps being linked) Bissouma, Mings & co would probably be under far less pressure and therefore would most likely cut out a lot of their mistakes.

Luiz would be better also pushed a little bit further up as would McGinn and those 2 plus a real DM would provide a far more defensive unit and allow the front 3 and the WBs a lot more freedom to get forward.

-------------------------------Watkins

--------Coutinho/Bailey-----------------------Buendia

--------------------------------McGinn

-------------------Luiz

---------------------------------------Bissouma

Digne-----------Mings--------------Konsa------------Cash

---------------------------Martinez

Youd have to feel a little sorry for target after season he had last year and el gazhi but great to see this standard of signings arrive.

They were both great value for small fees and served us really well.

It also would suggest dean smith was unable to attract the players required , rather than club not able to get buisness done.

The ward prowse saga a example

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Pretty big fee, sailing close to FFP. Hopefully a few bob for El-Ghazi.

AEG loan deal to Everton.

• Advertisement

Option to buy of 8.5m. Seems a bit low, but we would re-coup pretty much what we paid for him.

12 months on his contract from the summer 2022.

Everton getting a decent deal here, loan for second half of the season and if it works out, £8.5m to secure the transfer for a guy who turns 27 in May.

Interesting to see how the attack works if we can everyone fit. At is stands we would have

Watkins/Ings

Coutinho/Bailey Bundiea/Traore

That allows for a number of different styles of play, depending on what we want. More trickery / guile with Coutinho and Bundiea or more direct / traditional wingers with Bailey / Traore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

What happened to the young players transfer policy.

Also, AEG for 8.5 million is a shocking deal for us. He score 10 in 28 in the PL (most of those off a bench). We offer twice as much for Rashica.

El Ghazi is awful. He scores goals sometimes because he shoots nearly every time he receives the ball. Won’t be missed in spite of the fact that he should be remembered fondly for some of his goals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Don't think he would have been playing much under Gerrard (already wasn't, Coutinho is there now, plus Trez is back albeit in Africa atm) plus after the loan spell I think he would only have a year left on his deal so potentially getting 8.5m for him would be alright imo (but I am not convinced Everton will take him on unless he makes a big impact there despite him not being too expensive).

He would have probably been 6th in line for a spot in one of the two AM/WF slots supporting the striker behind Coutinho, Bailey, Beundia, Traore & Trez until the end of the season had he stayed. Maybe even behind Young too when he's fit now that he likely won't be cover at LB with Digne signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Spot on. And dont worry we wont even get 8 million for him from Everton as they wont be take the option of buying him after they have him there for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭pavb2

Exciting times at the Villa and for the right reasons, hopefully we can use the disappointment of Monday night to get a win today it’s about time we beat Utd at home and be great to do the double over them.

You’d miss the days when they were spunking 30m on Iwobi. We could have taken them to the cleaners 😂

Any guesses for which minute we’re gonna be talking about being on the wrong side of a controversial refereeing decision? Seems like a ritual whenever we play United

Just realized mcginn is out today. He'll be a big loss. Sanson is ok but doesn't have the same energy

• Advertisement
Advertisement