Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The dark coloured block on this. Next door to SuperValu and just down the road from the other Aldi (near the CSO)

Ah, no way an Aldi is needed that close to another one.

20 apartments there would be no bother though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Delighted to hear that. I’ve no problem with them putting apartments on that site but another supermarket entrance will really screw up the eastbound traffic flow through the lights at Church Road. I hope that was the basis for the denial of permission and not the apartments.

You've Super Value, Aldi, AND Mahon Point all in a 10 minute walk of each other. No reason for another one.

Drop that and add more living space

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The basis was the supermarket. They said they will support an extension of the Neighbourhood Centre with small retail units and/or a medical centre, as well as apartments, but not another supermarket, which will essentially be creating a new Neighbourhood Centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kampik

It looks like we will need to build more Aldi and Lidl stores to get more residential properties.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40773558.html

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Any word yet where Easons are relocating to? Surely if they are moving out in January to allow for Flannels to commence they would want their own unit to be ready by now...

Also with Penny's nearing the final stages of planning will Tiger/flying Tiger be on the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Got down to this over Christmas. I found it very sterile. Would have preferred to see some trees rather than just huge tracts of bare grass. The less said about the big red shed and all the concrete leading to it the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, same, it's a lot of hard landscaping and flat grass, very little planting or any play equipment, which is disappointing, but hopeful for next phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Anyone seen these houses on the Ballyhooly road up for pre-sale?

Didn't even know there was a development here until I saw they had started ground works when passing this weekend:

• Advertisement

Ahhh we continue to build where there is no road infrastructure capable of taking the traffic and no cycle or public transport provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Building houses in a housing crisis can't be a bad thing

Not improving the infrastructure, at the same time, is a disaster long term.

That's a city suburb road now, at that configuration, forever.

A road layout laid down before cars or suburbs were a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was wondering when they were starting on these....wonder when they'll be up for sale....probably will be out of my price range as usual 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

A major upgrade of that road just finished the consultation phase. It doesnt' go that far north but I assume the developers will ugprade the rest

https://consult.corkcity.ie/en/consultation/ballyvolane-strategic-transport-corridor-scheme%E2%80%93-north-ring-road-mervue

Hardly a major upgrade though, looks like from the plans it will actually reduce or retain the same car capacity as what is there? They need to think further down the road towards the city also, Ballyhooly road to Summerhill north is a disaster with all the parking along the side of the road.

Not sure id fancy cycling back up summerhill every day to the new housing estate from a job in the city also, doesn't matter if there's a cycle lane or not!

It's not a "disaster long term". It's a short term issue until they build the roads and cycle paths that will invariably come with time. Have a look at the new houses they built behind the AIB in Glanmire, road layouts were changed there when needed. As another poster plans are already underway for road upgrades, and the North Ring Road and Northern Distributor road will come too.

Holding off building housing because the roads are old isn't a good reason for stopping building houses.

I think the way Cork is going, they need access to ring roads, little island, Apple etc rather than city centre for jobs

This country is full of building where the facilities were to follow but never did. It is depressing that it keeps happening.

What is the cycle infrastructure there? Bus? It's up a winding country road with nothing but car access

It would be nice, for once, if our infrastructure paced ahead of builds.

207 stops right to the bottom left of the plan in your image. I'd imagine that'll do a loop into the estate like it does the estate opposite it.

I'm a cycling regular, it doesn't take a cycling lane to cycle. I wouldn't be throwing my 5 year old out on the road, but that's 99% of roads. I'd imagine the developers will want to upgrade the road anyway, it's a very cheap way to make a housing estate more appealing (and sell for higher prices), but even without that, there's loads of estates built on Ballyhooly road already, and no cycle lane, it's not a must-have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

The current number 7 bus goes very close to where the ground works have started and the road surface is not actually that bad between there and the city but it is just one lane each way and there is no specific cycle lane. My parent's front garden is on the city side of the development and they were told some time back that they would need to give their front garden to the city for road widening or it would go to a compulsary purchase order. They were since told that that was no longer the case while a few weeks back a planning notice went up about road improvements along the Ballyhooley road so they are now left in a sitaultion that they don't know what the city council's plan is but it looks likely they will loose the front garden. As someone else posted the hill makes cycling in and out of town unpopular and I avoided it in the past out of fear of getting run over. The odd cyclist going up summer hill north is a big problem for traffic as there is no cycle lane to facilitate them going slower and overtaking is not a safe option. Some time over the last few years they even built facilities for locking a bike near the cross at the Fox and Hounds pub near a post box where no one is likely to want to or have I ever seen anyone park a bike. Its like the city council don't really believe in talking with anyone in an area before they make plans on how to mess them up.

The stretch of road that is proposed to be widened will likely lead to a good area of established headge row and garden destroyed for a cycle lane that will very likely be seldom used due to the lack of a proper cycel lane closer to the city where the hill and the space available for other road users make cycling dangerous in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

All the more reason for a cycle lane in places where it's difficult or unpleasant to cycle.

Currently would cut access to Upper Glanmire, Glenville, and further afield.

Because, without preliminary work you end up with the death trap that is Greenhills Road, in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Scooby Reggie do

Great to see the prism starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Tomorrow's Examiner front page:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Would be fantastic, should do one in the city in the river and another in Tramore Valley Park.

They are starting the MacCurtain St works also but along with the above boils my blood they will piss away all this money on public realm improvements when what people actually want are more Gardai on street patrol and if they could get rid of the hobos, junkies, beggers and general sh!itheads loitering around the city would be a far bigger upgrade than some new footpaths!

Even a couple lads with a power washer working their way around the city doing footpaths etc would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I don't think it's one vs the other. Gardai and patrols aren't in the remit of the council as far as I know. Isn't that controlled nationally?

Councils have responsibility for public realm improvements. If you think about it, the income created in Cork (I'm thinking of the massive multinationals like Apple and the pharmas) are actually being siphoned off to fund the whole country, including gardai I assume. Cork city council has a tiny budget compared to Dublin, but I'm happy enough for it to go on maintaining and improving our civic environment.

The city is flooded with private cafes, pubs and restaurants, which is great for social outlets and I enjoy them all. All the council needs to do for them is grant planning permission an pull in rates. Maybe provide parking / access. It would be nice to also have public facilities available to us that have other more healthy outcomes than increasing eating and drinking. Facilities that cities typically have, walking and cycling infrastructure, parks, playgrounds and yes, swimming pools.

• Advertisement

You are right it shouldn't be one or the other considering anglesea street is right there in the center but im sure the council can put pressure on Na Gardai and other services to permanently resolve the issues I mentioned because they are completely failing to do it at present, it all just strikes me as painting over the cracks with some new public realm and completely ignoring the day to day underlying issues the city has, giving hobos some new steps to sit on, new footpath to piss on and new planters to throw their cans in isn't a solution!

Advertisement