Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Yes. That is to say: infection wave followed by hospitalisation wave followed by in hospital wave. Then we will see about the 'out of work essential staff due to Omicron infections and close contacts' wave. When that goes down we should expect some restrictions lifted. ICU has dropped off the list since december since the numbers are going down.

As i said before, nothing moves until jan 30 after which...

Wouldn't need to be said if the numpties in charge didn't keep saying it for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I mean the peak of Omicron means the peak of omicron cases not the icu numbers? Or am I incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Or instead if the journalists looking for a stupid clickbait headline are asking the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Just remember: the government decides which peak is important before talking about lifting restrictions. It used to be ICU and death, then hospitalisations but now they have the option of staff shortages.

Different waves, take your pick!

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Feck me January is a depressing month. Just back from 5 weeks in the US so paying an extra price in the depression stakes this year!!

Like others have noted I was in the UK a couple of months back too and like much of parts of the US I visited- it was like travelling back to 2019. While it is feels good to experience at the time it makes coming home and being home harder.

I've been in Florida about a dozen times for a mix of work and holidays, spending extended periods of a couple of months on some occasions. If you asked me at any stage in the past would I live there full time my answer would be a resounding 'No'. Now I can say hand on heart that I definitely would. People treat the risks as inherent, everybody is aware of them and individual discretion is used. Of course cases, hospitalisations etc fluctuate and when pressure points appear things like NYE celebrations get cancelled but by and large things continue as normal. Staff in shops and restaurants are friendly, here with masks and screens going into most places is very clinical and unfriendly. People have stopped even trying to engage each other and struggle to communicate with mask/screens. Not having this an issue was quite striking.

Not everywhere in the US is like Florida though- I was in 4 different states and Florida is probably a bit of an outlier, metropolitan areas of California are much the same as here- one foodhall I was in in San Francisco had a recorded message for people to replace their mask between bites of food and sips of drink! A big red and blue state divide.

The biggest difference that I've seen abroad is the willingness and determination to return to normality as soon as possible between waves. one thing unique to here is the prevalence of yellow and black warning signage we have papered on every surface, none of which has ever been scaled back in 2 years.....just added to. Constant reminders to people to be aware, danger signs that have people on edge and in a state of constant alarm (even subliminally) Our brain were never designed to handle this constant messaging. It's doing damage to mental health and individuals ability to risk access.

The start of summer here last year was a disgrace when hospitality was closed, we were told don't mind everywhere else we are being cautious because when we open we'll stay open. Europe introduced Vaccine passes to allow free movement again and we used it for access to hospitality straight away while still threatening people with large fines for non essential travel.

I hope lessons have been learned and with so many vaccinated and so many getting natural immunity we will get over this wave and start get back to some sort of normality. I do fear the individual damage done by virus will pale into significance with societal and phycological damage.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

They have the option of staff shortages? For what?

I guess I'm just missing your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Absolutely nothing, and I have said multiple times that not a single thing said in these threads has any effect or relevance in the real world. It is nothing more than a thread on an internet message board.

There is not a single thing I can do, not one single thing, that will ever get Michael and his boss to man up and start living with covid. Which is why it is utterly inane to be asking that question of some randomer on the internet, because what possible answer would ever be relevant.

I misread why you were mentioning the trend of numbers.

Still, it does seem like Omicron case numbers are just a sparkly toy at this stage. All the experts watching them closely and ignoring the far more important fact that ICU numbers have continued to fall throughout this "wave".

Ah cool. Yeah like it all looks good to me. So if someone could just 100 per cent say the "wave" has peaked then happy days. I get the impression it has peaked. And if not, the icu is looking good as you say so don't see the actual peak makkng much odds....

I'm no expert but I feel we're pretty much done here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Did you even read the article you linked to?

Firstly, the first case here wasn't 1st December. It was reported on the 1st, and appears to have been identified some time the previous week.

Secondly, it's stated as being "blind luck" that the case was discovered at all, making it highly likely other such cases existed but weren't identified.

And finally, the fact it hadn't been named as a variant of concern before Nov 26th as per your first link doesn't mean it didn't exist before then.

Oh ok. That's grand.

It's just that you do sound ridiculous for calling the Irish cowardly for not doing anything, and then immediately afterwards declare that there's nothing anyone can do.

It's just a bit of an oxymoron.

And I'm aware that this a thread on a message board, it's just you were giving the impression that you were disappointed that people were so cowardly. I didn't realise you were speaking about yourself.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Are you trying to say that 2 months ago the world knew the new Omicron variant had been proven to be mild? This is what the poster claimed.

"As is plainly evident from the figures over the last 2 months....omicron is very mild ...."

We had no figures 2 months ago. And don't get me wrong delighted it is mild and hopefully the way out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

Re: passivity

Come out to the next protest in Dublin lads. There was a good one last month.

It seems like a lot of people are fed up now.

I'm seeing posters who were in favour of restrictions previously now giving out about them bitterly.

Hospitals aren't collapsing at the January peak but you know restrictions can be dragged out for another 6-8 months til next winter because it's just happened two years in a row. 'Blah blah caution we're concerned'

No one can ever say with 100% certainty that it will definitely be 100% safe.. ever. Because risk is inseparable from life.

Where is the next protest happening? You left out the details.

Last month seemed to have been a revolution that we all needed and definitely kept they hospitals from collapsing.

Oh there is a bit more subtlety to it than that, but as you can imagine I certainly was not going to debate it with somebody looking for an anal gotcha moment.

To give an example, one person can respond to an illogical rule by doing exactly what they are told and convincing themselves everything is fine. Another can proclaim the rule to be garbage, decry it publicly and refuse to follow it.

Both are effectively powerless to affect any change with regards to the rule, nobody in power will pay any attention to either one of them. But one is a doormat and the other is not.

That scenario can play out in a thousand small examples across a nation every day, and in the aggregate may actually influence cultural change in the way an individual cannot. The person following the rule can influence fear in others to fall in line, the person publicly expressing dissatisfaction might empower others who may feel the same but didn't want to express it.

When I consider the Irish to be cowards it is because it seems very apparent that there is a majority of people doing what the church tells them without any analysis whatsoever, doing what they are told despite the picture clearly being false. Running and hiding from a threat for far longer than is necessary. That is cowardice.

I would love to get the **** on with things, I have zero fear of getting back into crowds and spontaneity. There is not a thing I can do to make that happen quicker, but at the very least I am not going to sit here and convince myself that I need to be scared, and I reserve the right to bitch and moan about it all I want. Because if nothing else people should be saying the words that "this ain't right".

The other poster didn't want that answer, he just wanted ammunition.

I'm not sure yet. I'll post the details when I see them. I'm not an organiser.

I don't understand your second paragraph?

What was the highlights of last months protest? What did it achieve?

You said it was good. Were you there and where was it?

It was on O'Connell St in Dublin and yes I was there.

I don't know that it achieved anything but if many more people went it might hasten the end of restrictions because the government look to see how the population react to things. Public opinion is always a factor.

Do you want restrictions to drag on continuously for another year, or do you want them scrapped, or do you think it is strictly a matter for paid decision-makers without any input from the (non-expert) public?

'Caution' will just linger on and on. It's become our default approach to life.

A polite no (via a protest) is what's needed.

• Advertisement

Well firstly at least you did something proactive aligned to your views instead of just ranting on here so respect for that.

On restrictions I and not a single other person in the country wants them. They never have and never will.

Think about it why would a government want to implement something so unpopular for no reason as they need to get voted back in next election.

We are just trying to deal with a once in a generation pandemic and if I can only stay in a pub until 8pm or have to wear a face covering walking into a shop for the next few months ill not take to the street about it expecting change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

I don't see why everything isn't opening now. It won't make one blind bit of difference to the daily case numbers. Open up now and be done with it. Open the **** up lads. It's done.

I understand what you're saying but I think what's happened is:

The government thinks the public wants restrictions, and the public thinks the government wants restrictions.

So no one will climb down.

That's why I think firm (but respectful not rabid anti-government) protests would be a nudge to err more on the side of freedom and living. It's worked out in the UK already, and there were big protests there beforehand.

Now that Omicron is giving immunity to many people and covering the whole country it's a good time to finally unwind this pandemic infrastructure starting from after the peak.

I personally think neither want restrictions. Who genuinely would?

I don't, you don't, not a single person here does and I can't see why anyone in government would as they will be trying to get elected again.

Everyone wants the same thing and that's for this to be over and it's looking like we are close to finish line.

'Want' is probably the wrong turn of phrase. 'Think best' is perhaps better.

The UK has ripped off the bandage. There's no way to exit restrictions except to exit them.

I hope we're back to semi-normal by early Feb anyway. We'll see.

I give up I tried to have reasonable conversation it always turns to twisted words and look at over here to make a point.

No one, not one single person, member of government or NPHET want restrictions.

Everyone wants this over but a protest outside the GPO won't do that.

We just disagree that's all.

I think there is an element of choice in how hard we go with restrictions.

I don't think NPHET's hand is being forced by material circumstances beyond anyone's control.

And anyway everyone in the country is getting covid right now, all the restrictions have failed on their own terms.

We just 'let it rip' (involuntarily). Masks didn't stop it happening. Vaccines didn't stop it happening. Early closures didn't stop it happening.

Oh well.

I guess the virus doesn't care about restrictions.

You forgot to mention vaccines in your post. Do you think they have or haven't played a huge role in how we can move on with very limited restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

The only way out of this is mass non-compliance/civil disobedience.

But it doesn't seem that the Irish are remotely capable of it. Just look at one of the easier rules to not follow: mask wearing—there's nearly 100% compliance. It's quite pathetic really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

No, I wanted *any* answer. Not inane bullshíte. That ^^^ was a decent response...but every time you decry everyone for doing nothing, you admitted you are part of the same problem, even though, in your head, you are the righteous one.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement