Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Clonkeen College/these new apartments (and the area around them) postal codes aside though are still in no practical way in Blackrock. Its either Cabinteely or Deansgrange in reality.

Its 3.7km from Clonkeen College (as the crow flies, even longer on roads) to Blackrock village like. Its equidistant to Shankill or Sandyford, or 3km from Carrickmines or Ballybrack, yet nobody is claiming it resides in any of those for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

Was house-hunting recently. I've seen places almost in Leopardstown called as 'Blackrock'.

Glencullen is going to be in Blackrock before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

There's a new build proposed for Glasthule as per the following image:

It's on the old garrage/florist place. It looks interesting. The residential units will probably cost half a million or the guts of a million each.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Really nice design, hope it gets the green light.

That’ll be interesting. There is a really nice coffee/gelato/pizza place there now, it would be good to see it reopen in the new building. And of course, Nigel’s .

garage forecourt’s can be problematic for building on though, so it may not be a quick project. It’s going to cause carnage with traffic as well.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Looks good, but there'll be a fair few objections to it based on the height - nothing similar height in the village, though seafront has the apartments so that may be used as a defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I live in Leopardstown, my postal address is Blackrock. If somebody uses the "Foxrock Dublin 18" address for me it delays the post by up to 3 days.......Oh and by the way........Shankill is Dublin 18

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why should vigilantes like you get to take the posting rules into your own hands?

Cos if we let commercial ads take over the forums, which is against the site rules anyway, we may as well turn the rest of the lights off on an already troubled Boards.ie.

I'll ignore your clumsy equivalence and passive aggression today Andy, I couldn't be less in the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, you've got Rocwood in Blackrock and Westminster Lawns in Foxrock right beside each other, both being Stillorgan adjacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

MOD NOTE: reporting of posts that breach the charter and/or boards.ie rules is encouraged so please don't criticise users for doing so.

Mentioning of small local events is usually fine but copy/pasting an entire press release like the one that was posted is not on.

There's a candlelit vigil in memory of Ashling Murphy tomorrow, Saturday, at 4pm at the seafront gate to the People's Park in DL for anyone who would wish to attend.

May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

the forum building (Spar) is 3 floors and slightly uphill of this place. And Quinn's have permission to build a 4 storey extension (behind the main building) on the opposite corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m planning on heading down and bringing the kids.

I’ve two girls and help train a running club with about 100 young girls in it, so want to show my support. I’m not sure what can change but want to show support and hopefully something can happen so they both are safe and feel safe when out

A million different solutions are needed, from sentencing for serious crime against the person, to the basic instincts of some men and boys that everyday passive aggression against women and girls is OK.

I've a niece of 20 years of age, an absolute beauty just like her mother before her. I'm helping her with some bits of a dissertation at the moment and she rang me today about it and I asked her straight out what had she experienced in her time. What she told me about the unwanted attention, the groping, the persistent harassment, the deliberate threatening behaviour made my blood run cold.

Honestly I hadn't got a clue lads, not a clue. And the saddest part was she told me, matter of factly, because she is quite tall and went through a reasonably early puberty, she's had to deal with this since 12 years of age. 12 **** years old.

I don't know where we start...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I'll be heading down with my lot. I have three sons and am trying to bring them up as best I can.

I know this isn't the thread for it, maybe they all should be at the moment to shake people out of their ignorance like I was, but I can't help feeling that the extent of single-sex education we still have in this Country from ages 4 to 18 is a massive chasm of lost opportunity to develop respect and understanding across the sexes, just the time kids are learning everything important about how the World works.

• Advertisement

Depends on your point of view I guess.

The Council haven't got a good recent record of having their SHD objections upheld.

Anyone thinking refusal for a reasonable apartment complex being built during our country's greatest housing and homelessness crisis in it's history has a pretty warped point of view. That location is next to the LUAS, very close to the N11, and within walking distance of huge numbers of employers in Sandyford. Its ideal for a large apartment complex.

Hopefully that refusal gets overturned.

No thought given to the residents of the area at all??. The home owners on Leopardstown Lawn and Silver Pines will have their garden light and privicy devestated.

There are 6 houses in Leopardstown Lawn that would potentially have their garden light disrupted. But given planning permission rules not by much. There can't be any housing built directly overlooking into their property.

Silver Pines is well to the West of the development and will have no potential for sun disruption.

So do you think its right that 6 households, which might lose a small amount of garden light, get to prevent housing being built for 463 households as a result? That number of units could take 1000+ homeless people off the streets.

If you stick with that logic no new apartment blocks will be able to be built anywhere in Dublin. There are few vacant sites in Dublin as suitable for apartment building as the Leopardstown Road one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

People living in a city must expect that the city will change around them. You can’t buy a house and insist that nothing changes until the day you die, that’s both unrealistic and selfish. If you want that level of privacy, buy an acre of land in the countryside.

Actually, they won't.

You'd be amazed how high a building needs to be to block out the Sun, even in winter. Hint - 10 storeys at 50m distance isn't it.

Also these places are designed to avoid overlook as much as is practicable.

As the lads have said above, you're not entitled to a view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

That's an ideal site for a development like the one proposed. Right next to hundreds of workplaces and the LUAS line. Would suit many people who work in the large offices there.

But wait, a handful of people don't want to see anything but semi detached housing so lets refuse permission. And An Tasice of course, who have completely tarnished their image with their pointless appeals over the past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is anyone getting their water supply distrupted in Blackrock this morning as per Irish Water Care on Twitter. It's due to low water pressure in the area. My next door neighbour told me about it this morning while a job was being done on the house.

https://mobile.twitter.com/iwcare

Post edited by dublinman1990 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Advertisement