Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish SIM in UK. What am I being charged for?

• 10-01-2022 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭

I have just moved from Ireland to Scotland for work. I brought my phone with me, with Irish SIM in it.

When I landed in Scotland, I could see that it was still saying Vodafone IE above the signal. I checked my credit and had €9.73. I had mobile data turned off, it is always turned off.

Today I went to Vodafone and got a UK number, and installed this second SIM into the phone. Mobile data still off. For a while, it was saying both Vodafone UK and Vodafone IE on the phone (scrolling horizontally above signal).

I checked my balance again and it's €2.40.

Am I simply being charged for access to the Vodafone IE network while in UK? And if so, is there a way to stop this, or deactivate the SIM, other than removing the Vodafone IE SIM?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Cannot edit OP, so adding that 'data roaming' was turned off also. I was able to send texts from UK to Ireland with only Irish SIM. I guess that cost more than a regular text, but trying to work out where €7 went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭KildareP

If you're not in a 28-day top up offer than a call is 9c + 45c/min and texts are 13c back to Ireland.

If you are calling or texting the UK but using the Vodafone IE SIM instead of the Vodafone UK SIM then this will also be running down your IE credit.

If you check My Vodafone you will see all of your usage and the corresponding charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thanks for that. Got on to My Vodafone and saw that my call to register a National Insurance number, which was a freephone number, was not actually freephone when using Vodafone ie SIM, so that's where my money went.

Interestingly, it doesn't even cost any more to send a text from UK to Ireland than within Ireland. €0.18 for both (on my no-contract top-up-when-I-like PAYG plan).

On the positive side though, I can keep the Irish SIM in the phone and not be charged for access to the Vodafone IE signal - I mean, I understand that I'll be charged for texts and calls, but not just for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

I have changed to Eir billpay sim-only with unlimited data, calls and texts while in ROI. Does anyone have the same plan and went to UK recently? Can I call UK mobiles while roaming in the UK network and it doesn't cost extra? That's how it was on my previous 2 networks I used to have.. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

"I was able to send texts from UK to Ireland with only Irish SIM. I guess that cost more than a regular text"

VF Web texts are free to all standard mobiles, AFAIK it should send to UK mobiles also.

Test it out by sending a webtext to your own number from My Vodafone web text page, it should appear as a SMS from your own number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement