Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not every decision requires a double blind scientific study.

Open windows increase the number of air changes, therefore reducing the concentration of airborne droplets. Masks reduce large droplet spread.

This doesn't require a masters in fluid dynamics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Assuming it's primary, I'd probably have a word with the teacher to keep an eye on that.Doesn't matter that it's vaccine related, fact is if they are ganging up on one another, that needs to stop.It could be branded shoes, phones, a type of school bag, anything, I still don't think it is acceptable.

When I read that post, I was strongly reminded of a cartoon which I cannot find now, of two children, one screaming into the face of the other, and the mother of screamer is standing behind him -her tongue extends down to him and is also his tongue.They are most likely saying what they are hearing at home and that should be nipped in the bud in school, at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Agree that you should start with the Class Teacher.

When our daughter (6th) went back to school last September, she had just got Dose #1. Very few of her Class had at that point. Another girl in the Class went around asking the kids aged 12 (the Birthdays are on a chart on the wall) if they had been vaccinated and really pushing that everyone should be asap.

The Teacher knocked it on the head quite quickly and had a chat with the Class on personal choice etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Who exactly is "pushing" the vaccine for under 12's? It is available if you want it for your kids, but you don't have to give them it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Points are based on supply and demand. If predicted grades don't happen there'll be no grade inflation, therefore points will drop that had been artificially inflated.

There have been significant changes made to courses this year. Is your child aware of how much less needs to be covered? Students aren't the best barometer of how much work needs to be done as they aren't aware of things teachers know such as sections that can double up yo answr two parts of the paper or sections that can be cut out entirely. I have finished the course in one of my subjects and will be finished next week in the other. Normally I don't finish until Easter.

My students are looking for predicted grades but couldn't articulate why when I pointed out that course wise, they are at no disadvantage to previous cohorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I'd definitely talk to the teacher first, children should not be asking the health status of other children it’s bizarre and needs to stop if its happening.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

our lad has his first vaccine his brother has a poor immune system so basically any help in protecting his brother is good for us and he was happy enough to get it .. but I told him not to discuss it in school as it wasn’t anyone else’s business and I also explained not all his friends will get it and better off not discussing the vaccine at all .. i presumed all parents Would have had that discussion.

I agree the teacher should be the first port of call as it needs to be knocked on the head , you definitely don’t want two groups of kids pitted against each other over a vaccine.

Schools should have a firm stance that kids don’t discuss it and that it should remain private..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Most schools (if not all at this stage) will have some sort of bullying policy.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Presumably it could work both ways, those who got vaccinated could be isolated also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Absolutely, either way it should be discouraged in schools.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Forces now lining up on either side of the LC argument

The union is surveying students on the matter, with provisional results showing a clear favour towards a hybrid model, which is a choice between predicted grades or sitting the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Well its hardly a surprise is it? Of course they would like to have the option to not sit an exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I wouldn't call the changes significant tbh. But that perhaps could be just my kids courses. She's got 3 project courses where allocation of time is given in class, if teacher or pupil is out, time cannot be made up for it.

Ordinarily, she'd be grand with sitting the exam. The fact that if she contracted Covid, she cannot attend school. If it was a cold or a regular sore throat, a load of paracetamol, and off you go. Now, bearing in mind, perhaps guidelines will be different by then and you'll be able to go about your business with Covid positive. And yes, she aware that should be struck down aside of covid. But with the long lead up, it doesn't help the anxiety.

Course that she wanted was 520 before '21 results, now looking at 585. (Or thereabouts). You think they'll drop back to their original spot this year?

Not if there's predicted grades, no way they'll drop. Predicted grades are a disaster, the plan of amended papers with resits is the fairest system.

I teach a subject with a project (History) and a subject without one (English). The changes are more than adequate to make up for weeks of missed time.

Every year prior to covid students/teachers missed time due to illness/personal tradgedy etc and there was no provision made for them. I strongly feel the accommodations made this year are appropriate (in my subjects anyway). Are your daughters teachers worried about not covering the course?

Its more than that - its the option to both sit the exam and be assessed and then get the higher of the two grades. Its a no brainer for a candidate

Teachers aren't expressing worry, but they're certainly not covering the full course in many subjects. So while there are say, more choice in questions, the fact the course may not be covered fully then cancels out the choice.

6 teachers from 8 subjects absent yesterday. Nobody to teach until they return. It's not great for the head. I'm lucky, herself is putting in huge hours of study, but I'm not sure they are quality hours as she's self teaching at this stage.

Approx 20-25% lesscontent needs to be covered for history. Less content needs to be covered for English. If I were out for the next two weeks all my students would miss is revision. If you don't know what stage of the course the various teachers are at you can't say how much is being missed and whether there is time to make it up. The changes made are not just about choice. Less material needs to be covered. I'd encourage your daughter to speak to her teachers to gauge where they are course wise. It may assuage her fears, at least in some subjects.

Are you saying you've 75% of the course covered already seeing as you'd put students revising now? So in essence have completed the history course needed for leaving cert this year?

Yes

Edit: students still finishing their projects but just writing final drafts

So you still have 25% left of the course to teach....that's quite a lot....

If you were out 'sick' for 2 weeks (you stated 2 weeks) and kids were put revising, and a kid happened to go out for 2 weeks after you return, that's a month of revising for a student....quite a chunk of that 25% course missing, untaught. Imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

In my son's secondary school classroom, he says the monitor is constantly red despite windows and doors open.

It's a very small classroom he says.

Teachers say nothing they can do about it, guess they can't really!

When they go into the spacious science lab, it's constantly green.

To thine own self be true

No I don't have that left to teach. That's the section we're leaving out as the modifications to the paper allow for this. (25% not fully accurate but approximately) As it happens after the mocks I'm going to go through the main points of that section of course just to offer the students more choice as we have the luxury of time, but any student who doesn't cover that 25% is still capable of full marks in the exam.

How do you know what is going to be covered, or not, in the exam?

The Department set out the modifications for each subject before the start of the academic year. I'll see if I can find the link for you.

Edit: here you go

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

CO2 monitors go red extremely quickly, which is why the windows and doors are being opened .Considering they are set to go to red at a higher level than is the accepted standard elsewhere, there's not much chance of keeping them within low limits with the windows closed. Funnily enough ( if it can be considered funny) the said monitors have come back to bite Ms. Foley as they also measure temperature, which is how school staff got the story out to parents as to actual temperatures in classrooms.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd absolutely agree that the class teacher is 1st post of call, hence my question about the principal.With respect though, if you tell children NOT to talk about something, it will immediately ensure that it becomes the day's hot topic! But a discussion about respecting other people's views and being kind is always worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭sekond

Does anyone know what they are classing as close contacts in post-primary school? Daughter's friend tested positive today. They get the train together, sit beside each other, eat lunch together and are pretty much joined at the hip. (Both are fairly good at mask wearing etc, but would be unmasked for lunch etc). I know they have a fairly limited approach to close contacts, but she should be counted as one, right? (Just trying to figure out if I need to make plans/cancel various things).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭sekond

Well I discovered the answer. If anyone else is wondering, that does count as a close contact. Less than 24 hours from positive test of friend to receiving close contact text from HSE, which is fairly speedy I suppose (as it would have had to go through school also). Had kept her home today in any case, so now just to figure out which restricted movement rules apply to her, and notify her various activities that she can't attend/cancel plans with Granny for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

So went back to work today. We have gotten one hepa filter and I got to try it out in my classroom. On the highest setting its loud and in less than half an hour my co2 monitor was red. Same happened in another classroom. So windows open and layers it is!!!

• Advertisement

You should be aware that a HEPA filter wont filter out CO2 molecules. Co2 monitors were being used as a proxy indicating a lack of fresh air supply entering increasing the risk of particles being suspended in the stale air. A HEPA filter will remove lager particles which encapsulate virus but wont prevent build up of CO2 in the environment

Advertisement