Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I think there might be some relation between those who had bad side effects from both a Covid vaccine and got infected by a variant. I wonder how much worse an infection might have been without the prior vaccination. One would never know because the experiment cannot be replicated but i suspect a strong correlation between the two. If the body reacts badly from a small dose spike protein vaccine (apart from the trombosis part) it is very likely that it would go bananas from the antigen with a high viral load. Maybe be glad you didnt get Delta but Omicron. It could have been much worse..

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Likewise I have it at the moment - started with sore throat. Felt like a bad head cold but I did have a very dodgy afternoon yesterday - full on fever, aches, heart racing and couldn’t leave bed. I’m early 40s, fit, healthy, lower end of ‘healthy weight’ etc. now it only lasted a few hours, the fever broke and I felt ok again. But for me - even if short lived it’s more than a mild cold. I was yet to get my booster though so I assume if I’d gotten my booster my symptoms may have been milder

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

of course, they don't want the fear mongering to end ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my wife tested positive pcr last week because junior had a positive antigen before going back to school , nobody has any symptoms, so basically our house it thrown into choas because of a false positive antigen. Its starting to look like a testemic at this stage.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But you had two positives including a PCR? What's false?

junior did an antigen first which was +, on the basis of that we all did an antigen, my wife was positive on that too, so junior and my wife did a pcr and my wife was positive with that, junior was negative. Nobody has any symptoms so if it wasnt for the first false positive antigen we would have been none the wiser.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Hope you didn't wait too long for your PCR.

Thing about antigen tests, they pick up the virus for a shorter duration of time window, hence the test regularly, every two/three days. Maybe your little lad tested positive, but on confirmation test he was no longer infectious, whereas your wife was still infectious window.

Hope you all feeling ok, it can be very very unpleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

interesting tweet from UK Dept Health and Social care about treatments for Covid.

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1479513165423681540

I had a couple of work collagues that had a bad dose in Nov, anything Ive heard of since xmas is a bit of a cold for a day or 2 which Im putting down to Omicron taking over. It looks like my wife is asymptomatic and junior must have been if he had though false positive is likely too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Calling it a 'testemic' because the 2 people who tested positive in your house were asymptomatic, good lord. And then you're inexplicably convinced they are false positives.

23k+ people per day are testing positive. At least half of those must be getting tests because they have symptoms.

I guess you would have to get it yourself and be sick as a dog to be convinced, but that's the boat I'm in and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

O-mic(e)-ron

- Mouse Origin, Future Variants Jumping Back Into Humans, And Update On DELTACRON

Good disclaimer on these videos, read in description instead of pausing.

Is this thread stalled or are people simply not posting? Still on page 113.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Pat Kenny, who's not a stupid man, but seems to have turned into Jane Austen's Mr Woodhouse (a hypochondriac) had Kingston Mills on.

PK "we need to be careful with Omnicron. My wife came across an account of a person who died from it so it is killing people. I'm not sure if it was Delta or Omnicron but..."

No wonder Sinn Fein were able to torpedo Sean Gallagher's presidential campaign with that level of information sourcing and fact checking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a limited amount one can say about a single variant and most has been posted already. The main thread and the crazy restrictions thread are the only ones that have kept a constant level of activity going.

Omicron

- Incubation And Contagious Period (Vaccinated, Unvaccinated, Previously Infected)

@deholleboom @is_that_so

No comments on 'echo chamber' posts or waffle about 'Long Covid' etc in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nope but it does have posters with a yen for random YouTube videos supposedly saying something something! Every thread is full of crap betimes!

The trouble is that the general public just gobble this up. It is clearly a message aimed at 'it is only a cold, so..' crowd. Maybe you should see it as ad on a billboard, not aimed at you. Just stop listening to PK. It should come as no surprise and you only aggrevate yourself. This kind of framing is widespread and treats people as children to be taught a lesson. Most people lead busy lives and only read or watch the headlines. Face value IS a thing.

'You know, my wife knows somebody who's husband has died of the flu. People DIE of the flu you know. It is KILLING people.' Your right, it is on that level. I dont blame people who dont see through that. I blame intelligent, selfrighteous people like Pat Kenny feeling the need to educate the ignorant with shameful simpleton messaging knowing full well what they are doing. A journalist should question people in power and authority, not using them to spread a message. You should leave that up to politicians. But hey, that is what a 'consensus' really comes down to..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Saved by the mice.

Who knew Hitchhiker's Guide was non-fiction?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

@MilkyToast

Gave your post a 'Thanks!'

Lets see how long your post stays up?

Youtube: - Dr J. Campbell ~ US record breaking cases and hospitalizations

^^^ Europe and UK, mentioned as well.

Still sharing even with someone mocking my posting of these videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

If the hospitalisation rate for Omicron is low in South Africa, where the percentage of the population who are vaccinated is very low, then it stands to reason that Omicron is even less likely to cause death or serious harm here in Ireland, because over 80% of the population of our republic are fully vaccinated.

No matter which variables one is using everyone should now just accept that trajectory of Omicron in various countries roughly follow the same pattern as RSA as people have stated from as early as mid december. There are still people resisting this idea. First it was 'not enough data' and 'different variables in different countries' and now it is 'look at the high case numbers'. WHO first calling it mild then the opposite because that is not the message they want people to get. People are still doing their calculations based on dated variables and wont accept that they have lost the argument some time ago. Instead it is continued virtue signalling with either simplistic or misleading presentations/ reports.

The truth is that every country will follow the same pattern. London was first in line for Omicron. Cases, hospitalisations peaked on january 4. The rest will follow a little later.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=nhsRegion&areaName=London#card-reproduction_number_r_and_growth_rate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Apparently the Dolphins are working on a further new variant....

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Took a PCR test on 22nd December along with my son who had symptoms (I had none) and on 24th were notified we were both positive for Covid.

We isolated for more than 10 days, I have had any symptoms, never failed an antigen test either.

In last 24 hours (11th Jan) I have developed symptoms, took an antigen test out of curiosity and it's showing 2 lines, what the hell?

I know it could be the 2 different variants, but I've been working from home, no visitors etc... Been to the doctor with our other child on back of completing isolation during the week, proof of positive test etc...

Do I need another PCR? They only give you 1 down here

Where does it say you only can get tested once?

I know it says your limited to 1 per person on booking site.

But is that just for the same day/week/month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

From the head of the CDC. Predictably, the comments are full of people who cant accept this positive information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

That’s a helluva tweet!!

Game over, blow it up ref.

comments are gas- ‘You’re gonna give the unvaxxed a free pass’ Imagine being more concerned with a witch hunt against unvaccinated than being happy at genuinely game changing news for humanity by way of the end quite literally coming into sight!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Advertisement