Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please on second monitor for laptop to use simultaneously

Options
  • 11-01-2022 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there i would appreciate all advice on how to set this up and get going.

So I would like to know how to go about adding a second monitor up to run at the same time and open while i have my own laptop desktop windows open?

There is this feature which is probably thats been available for ages but I would like to make use of it:

Desktop 1 and 'New desktop' which brings up a blank new window screen.

I'm wondering if i connect another monitor via hdmi cable and use the multiple display option as 'extend'

Can i have two separate windows open at the same time? Like for example:

Window 1(Main laptop screen): Browsing on boards.ie

Windows 2 (Monitor connected via hdmi): Watching youtube videos?

Would appreciate all advice, thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭NiceFella

Hey sounds fairly straightforward,

Yes you can; if for your chosen example you can open boards in a tab then add a tab searching you tube. Then just drag the newly opened tab to the other window. They should separate automatically.

Also Note: you might have to configure the laptop and monitor screens to have the same pixel density in order for the content to look ok. So your laptop might be a 1080p screen and the monitor might be 1440p. This can look a bit funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LuckyFriend

Thanks for the comment, I'm still having issues despite several google searches,

So when i extend the display after connecting and adding the second monitor, it connects but when I try to open a program like google chrome on it, funnily it opens onto my main laptop screen and not the monitor? So every action I take on the second monitor it just opens on my laptop screen and not on its own screen when it should?

I am very confused as to why it does this when the reason why I connected it in the first place is so there is more space for me to browse...

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Should be simple enough. I had 2 extra screens set up on my laptop. Main screen, inbuilt, screen two was via hdmi and screen three was serial port. If you start the laptop, then open a second tab on the laptop. Pull that tab across to another screen and it should stay there, at least for the session.

This is how it worked for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭NiceFella

Well If you check display settings you should be able to identify which is the main screen. 1 or 2 etc.

If you open a window it may optimise to the main screen etc.

In any case are you not able to just drag the window to your second monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

There should be a button to identify displays in the display option. It will show a number on each screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 LuckyFriend

Appreciate the replies, all a sound bunch!!

Advertisement