Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

And with the unvaccinated standing out like a sore thumb in there it won't help the case either.

But here's hoping sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Perhaps but it’s possible that many unvaxxed will have been exposed to the virus by the time the clocks go forward so it may not have a big impact on metrics. The covid passes were very effective at encouraging vaccine uptake, that carrot may be required next winter.

I get the feeling that the majority of the public are happy to use covid certs, NPHET and gov probably think there’s nothing to gain from scrapping them any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Looks to be Jan 30th now, the process of backdating updates continues (written Jan 7th and published today):

Yeah maybe they will and that should show in the hospital stats then anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

9 months after your second jab. Maybe different if you are boosted. Dont know if it is 9 months after booster shot as well. Likely though. Set by the EU. In my case my Covid Cert expires half march as i didnt get the booster. I am wondering if i get a booster after my cert expires if it is reinstated. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The madness of using peoples rights as a bargaining chip against them to do something that the state wants. It's nothing but an abuse of rights and power, and people like you are the reason why this is even possible. The people who fought hard for human rights through the ages, would be nothing but disgusted by how they are being used now, as rights were never meant to be used this way. It's literally taken 2 or 3 years for the history of rights to mean nothing.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Sorry, didnt notice the 'domestic' in your post. Is that different from the DCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Is there a list of people's rights somewhere that I could have a look at? People seem to have a misguided notion about what their 'rights' are.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why don’t you list the misguided notions that people have about “rights” then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

This can’t be a serious post. Just give up on all your rights then none of them are being infringed. Simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You could just google "human rights in Ireland" if you really wanted to, there are plenty of references to the Irish constitution online.

The right to bodily integrity is one of them, surprised you didn't know about it after the "Repeal the 8th" campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,946 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭foxsake

If you need a list of your rights then they aren't rights but privileges granted by the state.

A person should demand their rights . Have standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I can't believe there is people still convinced that they are going to remove the covid cert. I posted an article yesterday that Ireland has already secured a contract with Pfizer to provide enough jabs for the next 2 years/2 rounds for the whole population (unvaccinated included): how are they going to keep track of how many jabs each one of us has received?

I presume its all in a database. Or maybe I'm not understanding your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

It depends so strongly on personal philosophy that it would be near impossible to have one list of rights.

If you believe in a sort of Lockean theory of natural, inalienable rights (as I do), then ostensibly afforded legal "rights" are irrelevant to them. Under such a philosophy, laws (and the governments that create them) can be acting unjustly by abrogating or attempting to abrogate inalienable rights.

For example, I believe that the inalienable right to freedom of movement is fundamental with very few exceptions. When the Irish government instituted legislation to abrogate that right under the justification of Covid and restrict people's movement to within 2km of their home, that right didn't disappear—(I believe) it was being unjustly infringed upon by an overreaching government.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As stated, in a database, one line of one database table for each of us to be precise, all organised by PPSN! As for the vaccine contracts well, they are just orders that show advance planning. 2m flu shots were ordered this year, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Maybe this would be easier - what 'human rights' have you lost?

@TomTomTim ? Care to answer? Anyone? I'm not looking for an argument, I'm just very curious.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Here's hoping they stick to the January 30th deadline.

It'll be interesting to hear an argument for the retention of domestic passes when this currently wave passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd be interested in hearing the official argument for their introduction in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Good point. I recall it was argued at the time that vaccines were somewhere between 60-90% effective at blocking viral transmission (someone will be along now to lie and tell me the vaccines were never developed to block transmission of course).

As soon as it became clear that vaccines do not reduce transmission the domestic passes should've been dropped. Then again, that would almost be an admission by the government that the coercion and emotional manipulation (e.g. do it to protect others) they employed to vaccinate young healthy people was a complete lie. A lie that I and many others fell for.

1 all citizens shall, as human persons, be held equal before the law. this shall not be held to mean that the state shall not in its enactments have due regard to differences of capacity, physical and moral, and of social function. 

4 1° no citizen shall be deprived of his personal liberty save in accordance with law. 

i the right of the citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions. the education of public opinion being, however, a matter of such grave import to the common good, the state shall endeavour to ensure that organs of public opinion, such as the radio, the press, the cinema, while preserving their rightful liberty of expression, including criticism of Government policy, shall not be used to undermine public order or morality or the authority of the state.

ii the right of the citizens to assemble peaceably and without arms. Provision may be made by law to prevent or control meetings which are determined in accordance with law to be calculated to cause a breach of the peace or to be a danger or nuisance to the general public and to prevent or control meetings in the vicinity of either house of the oireachtas.

Sounds like the constitution is more malleable than I suspected and far from exceeding constitutional remit during the pandemic, they have actually held off on some of what they could have done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Good point. I recall it was argued at the time that vaccines were somewhere between 60-90% effective at blocking viral transmission (someone will be along now to lie and tell me the vaccines were never developed to block transmission of course).

It was clear in the Autumn that this was the case. I raised this point on various platforms and the majority of the time my point was deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,946 ✭✭✭✭JRant

As with all things in the Constitution it really comes down to interpretation and existing case law. In a way, nothing us against the Constitution until it is held up in the courts.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

i covers sedition - you can't start a radio station calling for the overthrow of the government

ii covers banning protests, which did happen here within the last 2 years and people were arrested for protesting

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, vaccines do reduce transmission (that seems to be one of the most repeated wrong/alternative facts on this thread, so not surprised to see other posters parrot it), the main reason for the certs is to keep the unvaccinated away from locations where they are likely to get infected and end up hospitalised and that worked pretty well for Delta.

With Omicron, all that maths changes and the certs shouldn't be needed anymore internally, the hospitalisation risk seems to be substantially lower and if the current wave abates, there's no reason they need to be kept.

But, what needs to be watched is economics, it was posted a few pages ago, but it's cheaper to run a vaccinated population, cost of care is less, less health capacity needed, that may be one of the main future drivers of policy, also with 94% vaccinated and a crazy high uptake in teenagers (will see if children get above 50%) none of the parties really need to care about votes from the disaffected, it's not as big an issue and doesn't impact as many as things like water charges did. A single issue candidate in the USA might make some hay with it (but the GOP have it locked in over there) in Ireland, people want roads and hospitals and low taxes.

Per Darconio, the EU has a multi year agreement with multiple vaccine companies, they don't plan to be surprised by a new virus in the future, the contracts have the option not to be taken up, but unless there's a drastic change, there will be annual boosters, the vulnerable might even get it twice a year.

And Foxsake had such a reasonable post until the veil slipped about the vaccine changing the body (which is true as it aids the immune system to learn about a new virus, but I would win a bet that you think it's something more nefarious than that despite all evidence to the contrary).

Why are the hospitality groups so quiet? Seems odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

NPHET will see this and want us to wait the period out regarding restrictions

Advertisement