Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Did Halo Infinite really, like really cost 500 million US dollars to make ... ??? I guess they remade it a few times or something, but FFS, it's very entertaining, but nothing that hasn't been seen before technically. Couldn't they have reskinned Gears Of War or something ...

I'll say it again, I think XBoxes have special chips in them for churning out FPS games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

By all accounts it has been in development hell for 4 or 5 years, and 6+ years of AAA development is not gonna be cheap. I have seen a few people claim that the fact it turned out well is a minor miracle, I think it's massively overrated personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What other FPS is on Xbox that's not multiplatform?

Joking that there are so many FPS games on XBox, that it's like they have a special FPS chip or mode for churning them out. The Halo chip.

Microsoft need to invest those billions into other kinda of games. But I guess Halo cannot fail as it's some kind of flagship game.

Anyway, Halo Infinite is good, but it's nothing I haven't seen before and I just was amazed at how much it cost.

Yep, you'll need to take a break and you'll probably get it done first time, next time. It's a long level so you need to relax and focus. Don't forget to inhale/exhale. Great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I haven't played Halo since before 5 launched.

I think Microsoft have plenty of stuff in the pipeline but it depends when they arrive.

They're onto a winner with Game Pass though as there's no risk to us to trying one of the new games day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I completed it now. I just needed a break to calm the head. Great game but nerve wrecking at times. It's not impossible but you really tense up trying to get through parts of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They kind of have though with all those studios they bought. They definitely had an issue with their exclusives only having a very narrow set of genres but looks like that will be a thing of the past.

Now if only would stop making icon vomit games and go back to their PS1-3 publishing variety. Bring back Studio Japan.

Super. I loved that game and the sequel which is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

What are icon vomit games when they're at home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And people actually call that 'the last pure assassins creed' with a straight face

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That was pretty much the exact image that stopped me in my tracks in Unity and turned me off the AC series for a few years. Played the first few hours of Unity, but once I got to that stage in the game and opened the map with all those icons.... I just couldn't bring myself to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

AC:U was a great game, a zoomed out image of all the completely optional things to do on the map doesn't really prove anything. I really don't understand why people find it so hard to just play the game and do the stuff they're interested in. It's like opening google maps and seeing there's too many shops in the city so you better not go outside.

I've been playing The Sinking City over the last couple of weeks - plugging away at it bit by bit over the Christmas holidays. The game has great elements in it - the detective work for the most part is enjoyable - the mind palace makes connecting clues to arrive at different outcomes i, there's no real handholding and the city initially looks the part for a Lovecraftian inspired game but it does everything it can to spoil it for you. The combat against the monsters is terrible and the lack of effort put in to make the interiors different for the houses you enter is criminal - it's so bad that a lot of the time, I'm trying to figure out was I in the house/building already only to remember that the place I'm thinking about is in a completely different area of the map altogether. The controls are terrible on the PS4 - almost nothing feels intuitive when your navigating the menus - the map in particular just feels wrong every time I go to pin evidence on it. The movement is janky and the ragdoll physics when you die are completely laughable. The open world is a chore to get around at times, especially if you haven't opened a fast travel booth. The other problem with the open world is that feels very empty and like the interiors of the houses, the exteriors get very repetitive very quickly. It's a pity that it suffers so badly from a lack of polish and little bit of extra care taken in bringing the city to life.

With all that's wrong with it, I can't help enjoying the game. It's one game where I'm more than happy to play all the side quests just to be able to keep the game going for that little bit longer. It's a bit of weird one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I really need the play the sinking city at some point, i loved the idea of figuring out clues and finding where to go without a map icon telling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I agree. My problem with Unity was that it was a buggy mess when released as but once that was fixed, it was a solid game.

There's a mountain of things to do in the game but there's no requirement to. That picture is widely pilloried but at the end of the day, if you like Assassin's Creed, there's an inordinate amount of side activities to do. Barely any are required to move to the story along and even completing a handful in each area buffs the character enough to keep it fair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's easy to say "ignore the dots" if you don't have any kind of OCD or easily manipulated sense of completion'ism. A map smothered with time wasting bric-a-brac can make the game a total grind for those of us compelled by factors other than a conscious desire to play the bits we want.

And then there's games line Arkham knight that require all the trinkets to see the real ending.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that was the biggest load of nonsense ever. Spoiled that game completely for me.

Shadow of War was WAY worse than Arkham Knight, as it involved a horrible grind AND they coerced people into mictrotransactions to speed it up.

Their devious plan may have actually worked if YouTube didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Played about an hour of Days Gone maybe 18 months ago or so. Wasn't grabbing me and wasn't in the mood for an open world game so decided to leave it. Restarted it on PS5 last night.

Played to the same part I did the first time (where you meet the first camp). Saved game after a cutscene. Loaded the game maybe 2 hours later and it put me back about 20 minutes. No type of warning or anything when saving there would be pointless, or that the autosave which had been happening was pointless. That was annoying.

Kept going for another while and things are opening up a bit more. I know in later parts there'll be huge hordes and stuff, but right now everything just feels a bit bland. I'm already bored of salvaging and opening car boots, and the controls for doing things in the survival wheel such as crafting etc feels awful.

I'll keep going for another bit anyway, but there's a definite issue with some open-world rpg-lite games like this where you're so underpowered at the start because all the interesting skills are locked until later in the game that it can make the start of the game a chore to get through. I could also really do without having to refuel the bike. That's a mechanic that should have been thrown in the bin.

My friend tells me that Days Gone has the unique problem of you being underpowered at the start and then suddenly overpowered and the hordes become trivial.

You're really not overpowered until you get to near the very end of the game and mopping up the side quests when it's over. The first mission in the main storyline where you have to kill a horde - or where your character is powerful enough, and has enough weapons, to take on a horde takes too long to arrive but taking down that horde was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had. It gets to be routine very quickly but the first couple of hordes you take out properly are so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's what did for me in Assassin's Creed Valhalla. 80 hours into the game, thought I was finally coming up on the ending and it turns out to be another twist with god knows how much more to go in the game. **** that, I have better things to be doing.

Even if you do all the side content you won't be so OP at the end of the story that the required storyline hordes are trivial, that really only happens in the post-game. The late game difficulty curve for those sections is judged perfectly, they are intense encounters and probably the highlight of the game.

Been trying to come up with a way to describe the awful aesthetic of the PS360 era and piss filter is the best Ive seen.

Reminds me of this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

that save bug sounds odd, I never came across that. Hopefully a one off.

I loved the bike running out of petrol. Really gave the world a lot more danger as you had to plan the route, running out of petrol near a group of zombies was risky.

But I like those post-apocalyptic games where you are at a real disadvantage so I lean into those areas. A bit like Death Stranding, walking for hours is a struggle so you build roads and zip lines to make life easier, but as soon as you start using them you realise the struggle was the reward and the game loses a big part of what made it great.

You can fill up at petrol stations, I don't think you even need to hop off the bike. I wouldn't worry too much about scavaging either unless you are really stuck. Get the camps unlocked and upgraded a bit to get some better weapons, bike parts and skills.

There is also a setting to help with aiming. It helps lock on and make shooting way more enjoyable.

Advertisement