Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,430 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No I didn't and at that very time, the watch was in Dawson's and still owned by me!

But for the record, I now only own 2 Rolex. And have a provisional sale on the polar explorer, pending funds and conditional on the prospective buyer selling his watch (for which he has offers he is considering accepting)

So 1 down, 1 to go 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I don't believe in lying. Not that I'm such a goodie goodie, but once you get into that, it would be hard to remember what you said. To who. If you are straightforward and simply tell the truth at all times, you will never have that problem 😀

Obviously- sorry bad joke

whenever i call into weirs I always make a point of wearing a watch I bought there and drop it into the conversation with them

You lucky man to have bought Rolex in Weir's. I haven't a hope of that ever happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone who bought in Weirs, is business done at the watch counter just inside the door? Seems a horrible place to buy, full of tourists strolling in with backpacks and shít. Couldn't imagine trying to ask questions and doing a deal or even putting watches out on the counter in a place like that.

From my limited experience yes, at the counter for some watches , the Rolex room behind the counter for one and downstairs for one - Downstairs is very nice , that’s where they break out the champagne ( or bubbly wine of some description ) during the purchase .

i think someone on the forum had weirs bring a watch to their house during lockdown so customer service is there .

Sheerans also had the bubbly wine.It’s a nice touch to keep the other half interested during the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Enjoy the drink, you're paying. The hi-fives in the backroom are free.

Nope. The people buying watches privately / from grey dealers are paying. Not only for scwazrh's drink, they also gave him a couple grand in cash for free. Well almost in cash 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭This is it

So much for not buying this year. My love for F1 had been reignited the last few years, this year being an exceptional season. I've wanted a Formula 1 Tag for a while and one popped up on adverts. After some negotiating I think I got a good deal for a watch in excellent condition, bar a scuff on the clasp which I'll look to have removed. Anyway, hopefully my first and last buy of 2022.

Post edited by Wibbs on

• Advertisement

Well wear . I had the chronograph version of that one myself for a while.The blue dial and aluminium bezel are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Most sports watches look better on a bracelet with dress watches being more suited to leather. Except the Speedy where I think it's 60:40 in favour of a decent strap. This is a racing strap from Bulang & Son. I've a few of their straps and they are good. Very good, even.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭This is it

I think the Gulf is a lovely watch. Have read that the strap falls apart quite easily, but how easily I don't know. Could always swap it out for a bracelet anyway I suppose.

A couple of years ago one went up on adverts for a great price and not far from me. I hesitated for about an hour and it was gone... Still disappointed over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I think if the speedy strap had a taper like the sub the bracelet would be more appealing. The new Speedy has more taper and looks a lot better. Have to agree the speedy takes a strap well and hard find one that doesnt suit it....except the Stingray, never choose that.

Yep. I like the strap in the new Speedy a lot. Actually, there are a fair few different Omega straps for the Speedy, depending on the model. The one on my bog standard hesalite is comfortable but there are better looking ones out there.

Rumour has it that unkle is going for stingray seats whenever he gets his Porsche

No, stingray is for straps on diving watches. For seats one would use what Aristotle Onassis used for the bar stools on his yacht.

I’ve been looking for a shark skin strap for my Panerai, the same as the one below that Stallone first made famous .

But I would like to know the strap is coming from a sustainable source if there is such a thing when sharks are involved, most of the sellers I’ve contacted don’t seem to know or won’t say how the skin is farmed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I hear you 100% S. The shark population is being seriously fcuked up by overfishing. Shíte like shark fin soup where they cut the fins from living sharks and toss them back into the sea to die. 😡😡😥 Going for over 400 million years, a pinnacle of evolution on this planet, way longer than our brief spurt and retarded backward pricks do that kind of thing, for a soup that tastes like shíte to anyonewith a functioning palate?

The thing is and I'm fully open to be corrected, but I don't think sharks can even be farmed. Personally I'd avoid any shark 'products' and I'm no vegan.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I don't think sharks can even be farmed. Personally I'd avoid any shark 'products' and I'm no vegan.

I’m sure sharks can be farmed as well as any other creature can be and an animal rights activist would argue against the use of shark leather as much as regular cow hide .

As someone who eats probably far too much beef I’m comfortable with “regular leather” but I don’t like the idea of shark leather despite the benefits of it for a strap .

Although thinking too much about where the raw materials for anything comes from would have us all fecked

Today the bezel on my Submariner 16610 started turning in the opposite direction. As the bezel is supposed to be unidirectional, this appeared to be a potential problem. And indeed, after building confidence via numerous You Tube videos, I removed the bezel and discovered the bezel spring thing has snapped.

I am assuming nobody here has a spare one for sale, so am looking for suggestions for fixing it - eg bring it to someone like iChrono, buy a generic spring online and fit myself, etc. All ideas welcome.

Its a really easy job to DIY just order a new spring....spurious is ok but you get a rolex one either. Bit fiddly reassemble the spring but well worth it. Its a common problem. You can source a OEM one but they gouge for what it a tiny bit of metal. Chris in Ichrono can get you one I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Cometh the hour cometh watch.

Yema Sous Marine

Thanks @Fitz II . Just ordered one from the Bay, so will see how it goes. Not too cheap for such a tiny piece of metal. Thankfully the watch was serviced before I got it so the bezel is tight ebough not to move even without the spring.

just be careful in the mean time timing your dives 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Quick post office and 'getting the messages' shop run.

1950 Longines 'Coronation' in 14Kt gold. Channeling my inner Humphrey Bogart. 😁 For such a small watch it's bloody accurate. Couple of seconds per day and it has an unreal power reserve, though you run out of breath winding it. The mainspring barrel must have Tardis written on it somewhere.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

You’re an enigma Wibbs, must be the only 1950 Longines that drives around in an Integra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

• Advertisement

Right, I've had enough of your childish petty sly digging BS. You can't seem to be able to go a day without trolling so take a week off. Next time it's permanent.

Advertisement