Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

"Summer of Freedom" implies reopening will be dragged out all spring.

It should be "Freedom February"

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Maybe my human right ( not sure if it is an actual human right) but the right to invite who I want into my home, and as many people as I want to. I bought and continue to pay for my home, but according to gov.ie I am restricted to 3 households.. that does not cover all my family. So if I followed the rules religiously I have to rotate family members to visit me.

If I wanted a fair sized social gathering in my own home, I could run the risk of the gards being called, not for noise or disturbance, but for having more that 3 households. This is INSANE if you think about the government/gardai, being able to tell me who I can have in my own home- and they would have to call if enough neighbours called them about it and made a complaint.- this is whats there today

Not sure if youd class this as human rights, but if I had said this a few years ago, that it would be against the law for all my family to gather in my own house..id be laughed at for being a complete lunatic.. and even more so, if i was to say it was to save the HSE.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You're "just asking questions" that have already been answered as if they haven't already been answered. And immediately we're down to "mate" from "peers". Do you truly want an answer to that "question"? Have you not seen it answered multiple times before? Would it matter as your very next post would likely pretend it's unanswered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Summer of Freedom doesn’t indicate where. Let’s not forget that Leo jetted over to London last summer to a Wigfield concert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

If they do that, if they open up for the summer but close again for winter 22/23 ... then that's it, this will be a permanent cycle.

Winter in 20 years time we will see restrictions just for regular flu season.

People need to not stand for it.

All the bars just need to stay open past 8, the gards can't shut them all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

The more they talk about summer the later current restrictions will be lifted

Summer 2023 as the summer of freedom ? surely that's a typo !!! Surely he means this coming summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They’d bring a handful to court, licences taken away, the rest would all do as told straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I find reading that piece about Leo and the summer of freedom absolutely infuriating, I feel like screaming reading that ****. I honestly believe we are fucked in this country with them fuckwits in charge.

• Advertisement

They should at least protest, like bar owners in Bristol and Paris did.

Yeats' line about the "indomitable Irishry" looking like an anachronism now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’m yet to be in a bar that actually closed at 8pm since that ridiculous rule came in!

My friend lives in Belgium, he told me all the cinemas there got together and just reopened ... not sure how it's going .. but it's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Last month he was saying that the public should be “granted periods of freedom” so it’s not hugely surprising to hear him use similar expressions.

Surely tho, we should be asking questions. An example in relation to the changes in womens menstruation; as far as I am aware, this is not called out at all as any sort of side effect, nor was it studied at time of trails etc. I think, (i may be wrong) but this was highlight as a female doctor experienced it and THEN enough people came forward so they looked at it and found that the changes are only temporary.

Fact is, it was a side effect, but not found in their studies, so this is ongoing.. the vaccines can and always should be improved.. we cant take them as perfect now.. so if something can be improved on, its must have flaws..

In relation to long term effects, there are NO studies to show that pre developed tweens, or teens in developing stage, that have had their menstruation effected will have any issues ref fertility down the line.- the reason being because those teens are not trying to get pregnant now and wont for another 10 years or more.. it should not be incorrect to question these things, because it is physically impossible to know the answer for a future scenario.

So yes, we should ask questions amongst ourselves (peers and mates etc) and also to those in power, isnt that what science literally is.. asking questions, testing hypothesis etc.. and imo the answers we are being given are educated guesses and nothing more... so for alot of people, that is not enough, when it comes to their health or that of their children. And for people to shoot those people down is just simple arrogance.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

It's not going to be much of a summer of freedom with Djokovic on the loose. Who knows which country he will pop up in next.

This is exactly the problem being faced a) there are vaccine threads that cover all this, so bringing it up here is off topic, b) those topics have all been specifically covered and the studies into them posted and discussed, the questions are answered, some of the posters even participate in the discussion and then a few days later when they think the coast is clear, will start pushing the questions and misinformation again. On top of that, even when shown those scientific, peer reviewed studies, posters will then start denying reality instead. But just to be clear, vaccines don't effect fertility, the vaccine clears itself from the body in a matter of days leaving nothing behind but a more prepared immune system. Virus actively attack the body, destroying cells and organs, COVID has been shown to effect fertility and is really f*cking dangerous for pregnant women to catch.

The amount of relatively new posters on here who start their posts with the equivalent of "So, the vaccines don't work" is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Let's put it this way: how are they going to grant access to certain facilities without knowing that you are dangerously infectious or you just had your 10th jab? Are they going to link this Database to every pub, restaurant, gim and outlet that is currently restricted for the un-pure? And how are they going to check every single person? Because the narrative so far is that only with your 3rd jab you are clean enough to access a bit of "freedom": does that mean it's been all a ruse to convince the majority to get the booster? And sorry but it's a bit naive to believe that buying 10 million doses for the next two years, with the option to double the order, is just advance planning: they know exactly what they are going to do with those jabs, and I don't like the prospective at all.

Covid vaccines Ireland: Government to buy almost 10 million doses of Pfizer vaccine over two years as part of new EU deal - Independent.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yes, this always struck me as odd. The vaccines no doubt are quite good at lowering overall hospitalisations and decent at keeping ICU numbers relatively low. This makes them very useful for giving them to the elderly and vulnerable groups. But outside of those groupings it seems mostly a waste of time overall.

Once the vaccines were administered to the elderly and vulnerable groups all further vaccinations should have been left at a "whoever wants one can have one" stage without any coercion along the lines of access to entertainment and hospitality measures. All restrictions should have been lifted including the now almost worthless face coverings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Scotland are removing their restrictions on outdoor gatherings (sports events effectively) from Monday

There are 5 million people in Ireland, so that's a vaccine a year for everyone over 2 years which sounds like pretty good planning. And as I pointed out, the orders can be cancelled if they aren't needed, but every properly run country in the world is putting in advance purchases for vaccines, because there is a pandemic and Governments want it to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

Come on man ! That is when they will make a plan for freedom day. Probably announce the 22nd of October for a full easing of restrictions again. Obviously not including masks and passports of course.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What is it with posters firing out this supercilious you're naive nonsense? You might want to look at the mindset that produced all of this first before finger wagging at anyone else! I really have no answers to any of these questions but I would suggest you get out of that rabbit hole now!

Placing an order doesn't mean they will actually buy them, it means reserving them. Given our early days experience of vaccine supplies it's called not taking any chances. 10m is enough to cover all of us with an annual shot, IF we want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

2023 will be his first summer in charge after his disastrous stint as tanaiste

Maybe he'll call an election that summer and the people can vote him out? Wouldn't that be true freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm angry looking at all the positivity in Scotland esp seeing the Rugby Union skipping a jig with them allowed have full attendances for the upcoming 6N

It's mental torture here what we have to go through

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If I wanted a fair sized social gathering in my own home, I could run the risk of the gards being called, not for noise or disturbance, but for having more that 3 households. This is INSANE if you think about the government/gardai, being able to tell me who I can have in my own home- and they would have to call if enough neighbours called them about it and made a complaint.- this is whats there today

Sorry but the Garda cant enforce this rule anymore. And they havent been able to since last year.

They even said as much on the lead up to Christmas.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/garda-update-house-party-rules-22562782

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Apologies didn't mean to offend, but did you read the article?

The Government has signed up to a new €191m deal to buy almost 10 million more doses of Pfizer vaccines.

The deal, agreed with the EU, will see enough vaccines delivered to Ireland to fully vaccinate 4.9 million people over a two-year period.

The deal will see 4.9 million jabs delivered next year and the same amount in 2023.

Doesn't sound to me like it's optional depending on the outcome of the pandemic

Well that's good to know! ..they should update the gov.ie website so to inform the general public that the guidelines aren't law.

My mother considers gov.ie the law now ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, there is a current belief that we may well need an annual booster, some people certainly will. This year we got 2m flu shorts but AFAIK we've only used about 1.4m of them. Even if we don't use them all it is better to have them when the landscape is unknown but COVID is expected to be around anyway. It is extremely unlikely that any of the measures we've been stuck with for nearly two years will be part of the equation.

Advertisement