Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Why do you think I asked you?

Or are you one of those who uses these buzzwords and you’ve no idea what they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Next thing we'll be seeing Ger Gilroy getting a breast augmentation.

In all seriousness though, surely people can't be ok with having women just because they're women.

I think it says a lot that they have these token women hanging off the coat tails of the men. You won't see papers hiring crap women journos for the sake of it because the clicks wouldn't come. But tagging a woman onto a mens show won't affect advertising so they can do it.

Doesn't make for pleasant listening for the audience when they have these token women who are terrible.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BringingSexyBack

I remember that Ireland game lol. RTE even televised the girls game (Think Ireland men got beaten so the mood would not have been great) ! The smarter thing would have been to have the girls play first, with about half hour in between so that the grounds men /women could fix the pitch . Just like the GAA use to hold minor games before the Seniors

From what I recall, the crowd emptied out really quickly. Brian O'Driscoll came out (in his suit) for about twenty minutes to watch the game and fecked off back in for dinner. None of the other players bothered their backside to watch the game from the side lines

Similar thing happened in the ladies GAA All Ireland Semis . The lads u20s All Ireland was held first. They got a big crowd from Roscommon . Emptied out when the girls (Meath) came out . To be fair the girls came was decent

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BringingSexyBack

Funny enough, neither AIL or the League of Ireland get much coverage on National stations like Newstalk. Next to none in fact unless there is something negative to talk about in the LOI . Bear in mind, in or around 2010s , Newstalk took from RTE Radio (an excellent service on Friday night) the coverage of league of Ireland games. They had their bill boards around many club's grounds. Bar the odd UEFA Cup game, the level of live coverage of said League of Ireland games on their radio station was next to none

So in comparison to two leagues that can still get 1,000 plus PAYING customers (and no discounts) to attend games every weekend, the girls are still getting far more attention on the radio

Jaye's point was the women got a chance to show what their product was worth by having their game held at Twickenham and said game televised. It said a lot that the vast majority of the ground left the stadium immediately after the men's game, knowing well that the girl's game was on next. As he pointed out, and as the cameras showed, a very sizeable proportion of the 80,000 who watched the men's game were women. Even the women couldn't be bothered.

Radio and tv stations are there to make money , by the way. They aren't always going to show any interest in broadcasting events that simply don't attract an audience. RTE barely even bother showing any AIL and LOI games . But for TG4 , things would be worse

LOI have decided to set up their own match day streaming and it apparently is going really well.

I only asked you a question, no need to be so rude.

You speaking like that because your description is a little closer to home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

I'd wager the virginal chaps are the ones on here taking breaks from whatever they get up to in their mother's spare room to gnash their teeth and mash their fists at the keypad over some women on the radio once a year. I'm not sure there's too many other than the angry men of Boards and the concerned citizens to impress on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

It would be a better use of people's time to actually help out at female sports - playing, administration, fundraising, coaching etc - rather than going on boards looking for thanks by taking the high moral ground when somebody criticises having female presenters and guests who are poor at their job.

Although it's easier just to go on boards isn't it.

But it's not just 'criticism', some of the stuff written in this thread is pure hatred, and some of them make it very personal whether it's towards male or female presenters.

As for your little lecture about helping out with female sports, how do you know I and others here don't do that already?

EDIT: Just to add to this, people here wouldn't give a ****. I'm just a 'virginal' chap looking for a sympathy ride going by the logic here. Why should I entertain that bollocks and just chuckle along with it? It's not going to change the minds of some misogynistic scumbags here.

Watch them all reply being all offended and telling me I'm disgraceful for just throwing that phrase about when the most activity in this thread in a while has been about the women being let on the radio and they're trying to fool us and themselves by saying it's nothing to do with the fact it's women on the radio.

People here have said they listened to very little on the show yet seem to know everything about it. They're either bullshitters or they're making assumptions on what the thick girls were saying.

And then some of them are called out on it and they give you troll-y answers and don't even bother their arses to engage.

But yet I'm the one that has to go out and support women's sport?

It's pretty easy to come on here moaning about women too, though, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

That’s some very strong language there. I can safely say there’s absolutely no “hatred”, as you term it, here. We likely all have wives, girlfriends, sisters, female bosses etc who we hold in the highest esteem. What you are seeing here is annoyance at the show dropping in quality and the presenters of the show repeatedly imposing their social politics on the listenership. By the sounds of it, they’ve done a good job on you. Look at the Djokovic coverage this week. An ugly, grotesque, politically-motivated witch hunt that seeks only to describe the characteristics of a “good person”. Good people vaccinate themselves so Djokovic = bad man. And before you go there, yes, I am vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

I doubt you know much about making a woman moan !

Strange how Callum Robinson avoided such criticism with his anti-vax stance. Wonder why that was?

Wow! Pretty unbeliavable stuff.

There's no travellers or disabled players on the team either!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Appears there are no local mods around. Closing this thread for a while as there have been a lot of reports that I will work through later on

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Re-opening thread - Mr Burny threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Ugly sentiments from the anti-Djokovitz journalist last night. She stopped just shy of openly wishing harm on the man. A spiteful performance.

No counter argument permitted, predictably.

For a sports programme, OTB is extraordinarily agenda driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

I commented on that last night but it got lost in all the squabbling afterwards. I don't think I've ever heard such a nasty contribution from a sports journalist before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

As your post indicates, if you want to get thanks on Boards these days, any sort of moral high ground is definitely not going to help you achieve your goal.

I post a lot of the time knowing I'm going to be met with hatred and venom for having the audacity to not row in with the denigration and apathy aimed at anyone who has the audacity to advocate for anyone other than themselves.

This thread in particular has long been a psychologists wet dream for the insights people give in to their true characters. Some very nasty glimpses which makes me feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with it in real life, but particularly the females in their lives.

I'm married with children but high five for the classic line 🤣

Do you not find their stupidity and immaturity amusing? I have no problem hopping the ball with someone who disagrees with me, but some of them are not worth much more than your sympathy. Just complete sure Gold help us characters.

No, I find it depressing because it is a growing percentage of the voices on this site. There's always going to be some characters and no one has to love every show or presenter, all the time. But, for a long time on this thread the vast majority of content is ripping to pieces people who host what is the most successful sports show in the country, by some distance.

And while I always found the extreme of this annoying, lately, across the site it is similar, the vast majority of conversational or non subject specific type threads which are started are done so in order to be judgmental about others. Lambasting radio and TV personalities, complaining how sport, music, entertainment, political, public figures are talentless/useless/hope their own a*se etc

All the time complaining about a 'woke agenda'. The only narrative that comes any way close to being an agenda on here is the one driving people to complain, insult, belittle. It was bad enough when it was an annoying but relatively small number of voices but more and more it's all you see on various threads/forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Glad to see Gilroy and Sheahan back on OTBAM. The lads filling in weren't doing it for me at all.

What time does the morning show run now, is it 7-9?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Chucky Q

The anti Novak thing is quite odd. What’s their agenda here. I can’t think of any other sports shows or podcasts so down on a player and that was even before the latest Australian situation

Post edited by Chucky Q on

Advertisement