Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yes exactly.

I often see people say "they shouldn't be discriminated against as they are women!"

If they are born into the wrong body, then that should be classed as a disability. You're not exactly the same through the unfortunate chance of you being born into the wrong body. Just like someone with no legs can't run in a 100 metre sprint.

The whole "transgender woman is the exact same as a regular woman" is just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

I've already stated that should I meet them personally I'd respect their wishes, but your wokism conveniently ignored that.

When the person transitions and is legally recognised as male, competes in male sports, only then is there a meaningful discussion to be had. The facts are the person is biologically female taking part in a female sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

"wokism"

Ok.

That tells me your position so we'll leave it there.

My "wokism" is that it is respectful to refer to people by the pronouns they use to identify themselves, all the time - not just to their face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hubbard deliberately threw the lifts.

He was in his 40s when he went to the Olympics.

He also was out of the sport for many years and had suffered serious injuries in a crash.

Despite all that he qualified.

Reckon Peacock, Pistorius, or any competitor in the Paralympic races would beat the majority of people with two legs - disability or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm not trying to impart any narrative.

From your OP, this athlete had surgery, but just not the hormone treatments, I am not aware of the specific rules around being entitled to compete in Mens swimming. I would imagine taking artificial testosterone would be more of a barrier due to doping regulations, is there any minimum testosterone requirement for a man to compete in Mens swimming?

Did this athlete try to compete in the mens event and was refused, so he was forced to compete in the womans event instead?

If the whole point of allowing trans women to compete in womens competitions is because they identify as women, then why is the reverse not applied, if you do not identify as a woman, you should not compete in the womens event?

Has there been a single instance of a trans man asking to be taken out of a womens event and to compete in a mens event? And if so, how did they perform?

Gee, I must have missed the plethora of posts in the thread about Hubbard stating how she had no chance. They must have gotten lost amidst all the "unfair advantage" "end of women's sports" that filled the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

But they are not allowed to compete in those races because their prosthetics are not equivalent to the human body. Sport has so many divisions and classes to make competition fair and, well, competitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The search function is terrible on boards, but here's me from the Hubbard thread stating that she was unlikely to win.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117635601/#Comment_117635601

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes, you must have.

Hubbard was never likely to win, she had taken a huge break from lifting, was never anything other than average over her career and was significantly older than the rest of the field. She had a massively unfair advantage which is why she was able to qualify in the first place, denying the place to someone else.

Having an unfair advantage does not automatically mean you win. This is an incredibly simple concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

A similar thought struck me during the olympics, there was an article listing the various trans and non binary atheletes competing. Hubbard obviously got a mention but there were a few others too, and they all competed in the female categories even in cases where they identified as men.

Why is there such an asymmetric approach, whereby only men compete in the men's category but the women's category is a catch all for all genders and none? Now the cynical answer is that it's easier to win at the women's level, but I'd love to hear the "official" explanation.

They simply don't do gender tests on male athletes so there is no data. We do not know how many biologically male athletes conform to some hormonally an/or chromosomally based definition of "a man".

Man's birth cert says he is a man - ok say the organisers.

Woman's birth cert says she is a woman - well, we need to test you to be sure say the organisers.

I shared earlier when over 300 elite athletes were tested for a study and it found that over 16% of the men have low levels of testosterone that put them on a level with the 13+% of the females who tested high. Basically over 1 in 10 in both genders had similar, naturally recurring, levels of testosterone. But to compete only women are tested.

This has been the case since the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

Pistorius competed in The Olympics against people with two legs because he qualified.

I wonder if anyone here will claim he took the place of a two legged person and should have stuck to competing only against his own kind?

Plus the poster I responded to said "someone with no legs can't run in a 100 meter sprint".

Can't run.

There are actually competitive races where people with no legs run in 100 meter sprints.

Woke woke woke you say so often I, Not a Sir, am falling asleep with the utter predictability of your posts.

I said it is polite and respectful to refer to a person by their preferred pronouns all the time, not "just to their face" - which means calling them what they do not prefer "behind their back".

You imagined I said the rest.

Pistorius went through quite a long and complicated process, legally and with sports administration, to prove that his artificial legs did not give him an unfair advantage. He did not simply qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Bannasidhe Man's birth cert says he is a man - ok say the organisers.

Woman's birth cert says she is a woman - well, we need to test you to be sure say the organisers..

Not true at all , female athletes raised concerns about one particular person who was competiting against them in events who happened to look and run like a male athlete ,

Seems that they were right to raise concerns.

Freak anomalies in biology is one thing but women deserve to compete in a Fair and level playing field ,not expected to compete with men looking to get famous for the wrong reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

People have literally killed and maimed other people in order to win at sports. People have taken all manner of drugs and medical procedures to win at sports. Saying "I'm a woman", even taking testosterone blockers, to win at sports isn't even interesting in comparison the long list of things people have done to win at sports.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭greyday

Why do you think men are not tested?, this is very easy for you to answer.

People have pretended to be disabled to win at sport...

That being said, its not really the point. I suspect it would be, at best, an outlier for someone to do so. But that that was not their intention does not mean that it is not the result.

A transphobic hate fuelled rant doesnt prove me wrong.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Transitioning isnt just saying Im a woman though. There are medical and legal things to do in the transition process. People have done XYZ proves nothing. You cant give me any examples because there are none.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

For a start for someone that claims they are not taking a position on this you do seem to argue for one particular viewpoint in this debate quite a lot. 🙄

Oh and you keep making statements that one had no changes bar a double mastectomy.

Maybe someone could argue that made her more aerodynamic in the water?

Anyway the big thing I would like to know is which one is going to be in this years Rose of Tralee.

Now I am going to run away. 🏃‍♀️ .....

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am sure this has being asked already but i couldn't find... what is the rules... if a person decides they are a different gender and the law allows to be legally so recognized as such.

Can this person compete in the new gender...

• Advertisement

It would depend on each countries law and the rules/regulations of each sport

Terry Pratchet

so your like me you don't know either... hopefully someone will enlighten us both...

As you know There social and medical transitions ,both are acceptable that your are now your chosen or preferred gender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Post edited by km991148 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭greyday

Why?

There is a person that transitioned that is happy to get into a ring with a female with the intention of beating her up, the extremists think this is fair while most rationale people don't want to even consider where this could lead.

Let people be who they want to be but lets be reasonable about what they can and cant do, beating up a woman is one of those things you cannot do no matter if you transitioned to a woman or not, crazy I know but most people would agree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's ok.

Nice to see that posters are not always so adamant.

If we all accepted that our positions cannot be absolute, the net would be a better place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"The narrative being put forward is that a male body is in every way superior to a female body when it comes to sports. All sports apparently. Even when that male body has has been taking 'female' hormones it retains this superiority. Therefore someone born biologically male will always beat someone born biologically female."

That is demonstrably not correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭plodder

Men are tested for a variety of performance enhancing substances. Oestrogen is not considered to be performance enhancing. Otherwise, men would be tested for it. In fact, one strategy for indirect androgen (testosterone) doping has been to artificially reduce oestrogen levels, which has the effect of increasing the natural levels of testosterone. The substances which promote that are banned.

Sex testing used to be required for women athletes at the Olympics but I'm pretty sure it isn't currently.

The reason it was was because it is the female category that is protected, not the male one. It's assumed (and born out by experience) that women generally don't want to enter men's competitions, but that's not the same the other way round.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that natural hormone levels would be the way to determine sex for sport. Chromosomes are a much better, though still imperfect way. But, it would be better than the rules as they are now, bizarrely, because only a tiny number of intersex women are affected negatively by the chromosome definition, as opposed to potentially over 50% of the entire population now.

Biological males, irrespective of what they identify as or what surgeries they've undergone, should not compete with biological females - period.

Like ???

You can self declare your chosen gender there is no legal requirement unless your looking for a cert ,but there is no legal requirement to do anything

I totally agree with you but equality likely works across the board for both sexes... it be interesting to see where this goes...

Terry Pratchet

For instance here we saw a bloke enter and win a womans event in trinity ,all he did was rock up on the day and said he identified as a female to the organisers who had no choice but to allow him to enter ,

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

For instance here we saw a bloke enter and win a womans event in trinity ,all he did was rock up on the day and said he identified as a female to the organisers who had no choice but to allow him to enter ,

The fella who spends his days lamenting Putin and his anti-LGBTQ agenda...incredible.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Yes but if show's how easy it is for dick's to take the proverbial,

If a man can just enter womens sports events just by filling in a form and self declaring their chosen gender .

In the case in this thread it's a man swimming against women in competitive swimming , where he has an advantage being men have better upper body strength , especially in arms and shoulders which is a Big advantage in a pool ,

Terry Pratchet

What do you mean "and"?

You're gone from "nobody transitions to win sports" to "there are medical and legal things to do to transition" to "well okay but that depends on the country" to "meh, the literal example of the thing I just said there could not possibly be an example of is just areseholes".

Come on.

They believe that no such transition is needed anyway. That just being who you are is enough.

Some decide to undergo surgery etc. Most do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Most medically transition. You can keep repeating that line about surgery to downplay a medical transition, but it won't work.

Even taking hrt is no small undertaking.

No, but you're missing the point.

You believe that a biological male who identifies as a woman - and has no surgery at all - is literally a woman, yes?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe that is your belief. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That wasnt an example of anyone transitioning. Just an areshole trying to prove a point. Nobody is going to transition to win at sports.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

What do you mean by "transitioning" though?

Don't you already believe that a biological male, without surgery, who identifies as a woman is a woman?

Advertisement