Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Not sure I mean does anyone have an idea of what a property should be worth when buying?? We really have no jumping off point with regards to property other than how much it costs to build. Supply and demand issues have pushed prices up but we dont know how far off the norm prices are. Also we have just gone through 2 very significant historical events in Brexit and currently corona and they have not impacted prices with drops and in fact we see increases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You're spot on when you mention increasing costs and rapidly decreasing qualified tradesmen. There are only a handful of people qualifying in certain trades every year. In 2019 just two plasterers qualified. Anyone who has gotten work done recently will be able to tell you that it's impossible to get certain tradesmen. The industry is full of old men due to retire in the next few years.

The industry is in crisis and it is heaping additional costs onto construction, which is under additional pressure due to increasing raw material costs.

To solve the problem in the medium term we will have to rely on foreign labour and those workers require housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Problem with wage inflation is that the best scenario is everyone gets a rise. That's the absolute best. Yet what will often happen is the lowest earners won't get a rise. I have family members that haven't seen a cent rise in 13+ years. They're not in a position to job hop, they're not doing it at this stage.

The most common scenario is that people like me, with qualifications and a profession in demand get big rises. The rich get richer essentially.

Go onto the construction jobs ireland page on facebook and they atttitude towards pay shows it all.

Job could be holding a lollipop for 15 euro an hour and the comments will be "get fcuked ya cheap cnut 🤣"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Our minimum wage should be at €15 per hour to match the living costs that are soaring. €29k per year would barely feed and house a single person these days. Something will give, quite simply because it is unsustainable that so much cash ends up in property where it ultimately dies and is lost from the economy.

Ronan Lyons is good writing in The Currency, especially I enjoyed his piece on how real prices of property fell during the Celtic Tiger because of supply more than meeting demand. But he is still paid for by vested industry interests so is not necessarily impartial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Minimum wage rising to 15 euro does nothing. All it does is increase prices. Imagine a coffee shop with 10 workers earning 11 euro an hour for 8 hours a day for 5 days a week.

If they needed to pay 15 euro an hour, that would be an increase of 320 per day. That's an extra 1600 a week they'd have to pay. How are they going to pay for that? They're going to up prices. But wait, there's more! The shop purchases goods from another company that needs to pay an extra 400 euro per week. They up their prices so that coffee shop now needs to pay more for their goods...so again prices need to go up.

Now imagine another shop where 5 people earn min wage (10.20 per hour, lets round it to 10). 5 people earn 15 euro, so 50% above min wage. What happens when those 5 on minimum wage get bumped up to 15 euro per hour? Well those on 15 per hour are essentially given a pay cut and are now on min wage. They have more responsibility or higher skills than those earning 10. Why would they happily accept a cut from earning 50% above min wage to earning min wage? They'd demand an increase to 22 euro an hour and rightly so.

What needs to happen is the cost of living needs to decrease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

That’s exactly how it is.

main issue is we value labor too low vs idlers. Cut the dole and other benefits (housing etc) and all these min wagers could live of their wages without increase. All these cost of living crisis countries (coastal America, London, Ireland) have high welfare rates. Those that don’t (Texas, florida, Japan, Germany) have nowhere near these issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

I always laugh when I see posts like this. We are a small open economy who relies on FDI. All pushing up prices results in other (better equipped and lower cost economies) taking this investment. if we make the min wage €15 per hour every other sector will say they want a wage increase and then costs go up and the min wage needs to raise just to keep pace with increases in "real costs".

We have this bizarre notion that everybody should be housed where they want, get generous social welfare benefits, not pay for anything (Irish Water a case in point) and that somebody else should pay for everything.

Whether people want to accept it or not we can't be everything to everyone no matter how much we want to be. Our national debt pre covid was bad enough and now add covid onto it we are in for a tough time ahead.

The changes to Corporation tax are going to his us hard, not just the rate change but also the changes that corporation tax will be paid where the income is earned and as previously where it was funnelled through Ireland to avail of the lower rate and Ireland availed of the tax revenue accordingly.

Cash is ending up in property because there are no other viable alternatives and there is a worry among investors as to how economies are going to perform when the Govt supports are removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Increasing the minimum wage equals higher costs for businesses which means more inflation and would just result in higher rents and house prices. it’s a catch 21 situation and for this reason countries like the USA and UK have always needed immigration to fill these lower paid jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The problem

And

The solution.

Train the low paid into high paid positions

Make a pathway from junior cert to the trades. We know school system does not suit many a pathway out of it to a fruitful career would benefit all.

Need to look at the terms of employment in the industry also. Boom Bust policies is not just bad for the economy, Its bad for people working in the affected sectors.

All policy driven errors and poor governance is the root of most problems, all easily fixable

But unless housing costs crash, it will all end in tears. Our much lauded FDI and corporate tax take will be obliterated and the real economy will be strangled by a lack of spending as housing takes too much cash from salaries. It has already happened that we have a severe labour shortage and practically no rentals are now available. If we want to turn on the immigration tap post-covid restrictions, it won't work when housing is unavailable and unaffordable.

It just is not sustainable to be paying people wages of €10/11 per hour, this is not enough and considering the inflation that has happened already, I'm not sure why you think wage increases to match the existing inflation would be a bad thing, it is required to catch up with existing inflation rather than get ahead of more inflation. The State must unwind its bloated supports for housing and let the market correct as it needs to do for the last 15 or so years.

The ECB is playing with fire by not trying to turn off it's magic money printers and increasing interest rates as inflation is going to continue to rise. Unfortunately, this could create a real Brexit type risk to the Eurozone/EU as the dust seems to have settled on the UK and the doom predictions have died down; trying to adopt one set of rules for the whole Eurozone in this extremely vulnerable economic situation will be a nightmare to manage.

• Advertisement

Housing won't crash simply due to supply and demand differences. It is the state who benefit the most (specifically in the rental sector).

We may have a labour shortage in property building but importing labour to fill that gap is only a short term solution. We need a functioning property sector that will give trades people some long term certainty rather than boom then bust.

If you raise wages prices rise wage/price spiral from economics.

The state does not want to house people and is constantly changing the rental laws which is one of the main reasons landlords are fleeing the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What needs to happen is the cost of living needs to decrease

It is not that we need the cost of living to decrease, but rather that people need to limit there expectations and manage there life's. I got married at 29, i had been working since my teens. Ya I had traveled a bit, I had lived away from home since I started working. When we decided to marry we put a plan in place. We saved very hard for the bones of three years. My wife lived at home and I rented. I was sharing a house with 3 other lads. We met up 3-4 times a week.

Nowadys someone leaves college at 23, they get a job and continue to party like in college then they maybe meet someone and move in togeather still in there 20's. Or else they reach 30 and decide they want to live by themselves and rent a place They have there takeaway coffee's, there nights out, there fancy phones, there clothes that they use a few times and give to a charity shop or the local GAA collection, they have there weekends away in a hotel in Ireland or with Ryanair. They have there holidays. Then they want a house with all the MOD cons, completely painted and decorated as well as A rated. I will not mention the odd line of coke.

There is no doubt that houses are expensive, buts at present it seems they are a much better option than renting. Buts its down to SUPPLY where some here like it or not, and the willingness to limit your lifestyle in your 20's. People drift into cohabbiting in rented accomdation, have a child and can never save. Watching RTE's How to be good with money is an eye opener. People with 2-3 dogs and not realizing the cost, buying there lunch 2-3 times a week, going out to a resturant once a week. Changing there mobile every 12 months. Having an overdraft of 3-4K on a credit card continually and a credit union loan as well.

By the way a housing crash will not solve the problem. because a housing crash will indicate that credit(a mortgage) is not available, cash buyers the same as 2010-2016 will be the winners again, as Moore McDowell one said on Q's&A's all them tears ago '' Joe Sixpack( now Joe Slabman) will be the loser'',

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Strange you have that attitude if you've been in Ireland all your life, you must have a very short memory as I think you'll find alot of the people struggling with housing now were just starting their careers when 2008 hit and Ireland only got out of recession circa 2013 but tell me again how they are a generation of lazy frappuccino drinkers who can't save because shur money was just flowing out of fountains to fund their lifestyle back then wasn't it, crazy why so many emigrated eh?

Yeah it's a bit of a "I had it tough" boomer dismissal. Not everyone wants to buy and some people are happy to rent but why is the default cost absolutely extortionate? For those not wanting to jump on the property pyramid scheme, renting should be something that is a viable and sustainable alternative. However, only very few working adults could afford to live in their own place as a renter and that is pathetic as a society to allow this to happen. €1600 for a pithy one bedroom in Dublin, which means there are plenty of late 20s onwards adults still living in flat shares, which is deeply demoralizing as they get older. It also prevents them putting aside proper cash for their future as rent takes up too much of their salary - do we really want the average 30/40 year olds who can't afford/don't want to buy just flat sharing?

Irish people seem to live in a bubble and genuinely think Ireland is just like other EU countries or even better with housing when it really isn't. The government, by letting housing costs runaway largely from its own actions, has now left us in a terrible financial position where we will need to borrow multiples of COVID borrowing in order to stimulate the economy post-covid. Quite simply, the borrowing to date in COVID is only the tip of the iceberg to keep things ticking over but there is chronic underinvestment in infrastructure and services that will need to be ramped up. Unfortunately, the government won't be able to raise taxes to pay for any of this borrowing without committing political suicide as the cost of living, including housing costs, are rising dramatically. The heat really needs to come out of the market to avoid an economy stagnating.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Proper restructuring of council housing needs to happen. Social housing for the posh.

Wow so 2008 was the first recession in Ireland.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

if the economy is growing, tax take still strong and inflation widespread…then why will the government need to borrow to stimulate the economy and cause it to overheat.

The reason that rents are so high is because there is a lack of supply of rental property which means people need to pay top dollar as you have no other choice except to leave the country.

You could increase the supply of social housing in an attempt to reduce the no of HAP residents and free up rental property this should reduce the rent But Then people will start complaining about people getting free houses and the fact that builders aren’t building enough houses for FTB’s and the fact that they need to complete with the councils when buying. No matter which way you cut it There will always be a subset of the population at a loss until the supply comes onstream.

It Was the first recession where our youth did not leave en masse and the pull up the ladder culture was far more visible

The pull up the ladder generation had the cheek and brass neck to turn to the "diaspora" (the generation screwed over in previous recessions) to save their asses

Embarrassing!

I find it a bit galling that generations blame each other at the of the day we have a housing crisis due to lack of leadership the government from 08 onwards simply stopped building social housing. We are also way to left leaning. We give way to much for way too little and people then feel entitled to things that they should not pay for or pay a lot less than what other people have paid and someone is always screwed with the bill. That dichotomy will not be changing no matter what party gets in. I think each person/couple/family have to look at themselves and do whats right for them. I don't understand how some people think they should be getting housing for free or why the cost of living should be reducing when history shows us that neither of these 2 things are sustainable. If people don't like paying rent then save and buy a house, if they can afford to buy a house then up-skill retrain and change to a job that pays more and then buy or feel free to head to a different country and try and get yourself sorted. This crap of focusing on, how everyone else should be doing more for me and mine and looking at those that have a house and saying why can't I have that without understanding that its always been hard to buy a house in this country no matter what era or generation, we had sky high stamp duty before the 08 crash not to mention interest rates in up to and above 15% in the 80s and 90s. Yet because someone has gone through the pain of paying for that house and are out the other side with a house with little or no mortgage they are frowned upon by those how cant afford to buy now and they have zero understanding just how hard it was to get and to maintain paying for the house. So moaning about it will get you no where. No one in this world should have an entitlement to anything. If you want something the way to go about it is - find out what you want, find out how much it is and find out the best way of paying for it yourself. Job done you owe no one anything and they owe you nothing.

Rubbish. the pull up the ladder brigade as you put it educated there chidren to a higher standard than previously not justat second level but on to third level. Now a lad with a third level qulification can not afford a house ???. I med an old friend last summer of a class of thirty boys that started second level, about 25 did the group cetificate after second year. Only 22 did the inter Cert and 8 did the Leaving Cert.

Most lads that imigrated were gone at 16-18 years of age.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

And what? Thats a trend across most of the western world, more people stick with 2nd level and progress to 3rd level education - it doesnt mean that the older generations didnt pull up the ladder post '08.

And your muck about "setting expectations" lol right. My parents and their parents bought houses on what would now be classified as unskilled jobs.

Nowadays you would struggle to buy a house on 2 median incomes in a lot of places, unless you move to the sticks (and can get a job anywhere near that income level).

The reason so many are educated to third level is because of the abolition of fees in the 90's an iniative by the labour party.

There are positive and negative left and right leaning policies. Unfortunately when it comes to housing the vast majority of policy is negative regardless of the political origins of said policies.

With regard to generational differences, when it comes to housing the have nots are always sacrificed for the benefit of the haves. There appears to be no balance

Someone using a TV show to use as an example of one generation is a bit galling. There not going to choose a couple breaking their backs to afford the rent to be on a show titled how to be good with money. That couple won't have any money, they live pay cheque to pay cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

cant afford a house because hes spending 6 quid a week on takeaway coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

money could have been found post crash to build social housing but preserving public sector conditions was a bigger vote winner and most of those heavily unionised workers already owned homes

all about choices , some people think we can do everything , we cant , we chose to preserve state sector pay and pension conditions for the most part

when a landlord sells , the units of rental stock nearly always decreases as rental properties ten to have more individuals occupying them , say a rental which four single people were living in is sold and bought by a childless couple , thats two rental units gone from the market in terms of stock

more often than not its the tenants who do that to spread the rent cost , especially the likes of Brazilian workers - students

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How have you managed to admit its down to supply yet still think its due to people being bad with money in the same post? If everyone was suddenly good with money, they'd still be screwed because...as you admitted, its down to lack of supply.

They can have all of the takeaways, new phones, avocado toast in the world if they like, because for most of these people 3.5 times their salary gets them nothing

Saying this as someone who did save a tonne and managed to buy in recent months - your post is still nonsense. If you aren't a high earner, or don't have wealthy parents, you're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

hard to see how house prices are going to go anywhere but up in 2022 given the fact that a large number of people will be getting substantial pay increases and therefore able to borrow more.

• Advertisement

wow really so those who have a house are they not paying tax for welfare schemes such as FTB grants, social housing and HAP ..to me people are being bent over a barrel in what they pay in tax in order to subsidize these. Sacrificed will you pull the other one.

Advertisement