Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In fairness and loathe as I am to get involved in this ridiculous argument this is about something that happened very early in the world of omicron and they wouldn’t have known that much about it at the time nor likely which variant players had either here or in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Awarding the game to Montpellier was the right call at the time and even more correct in hindsight. Move on lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,381 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Good. Fair play. It was more or less the right decision and it's time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The obvious conclusion from the data at hand was that one team had Covid contained and the other didn’t. That was clear as day at the time and has only become more obvious since. I have no idea how you can possibly still be pushing the notion that the two teams were in the same boat. They weren’t. Every single piece of evidence tells us that. The EPCR came to a conclusion that was proven to be the correct one. They got this right, much and all as I wish it wasn’t the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Leavy is having a bollocks of a time with injury! Poor fecker, it's hard to see him put together enough performances to warrant any discussion to make the international extended squad.

I think Leinster are in a bad position. No matches in weeks and the squad disrupted by covid. It's going to be a slog to get momentum. The 6nations adds to the disruption, if it goes ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I don't think that matters. There are only so many open weeks left in the season and we're likely to see more postponed games so I think they're going end up cancelling some games. If and when that arises, Munster should receive the victory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Decent chance they end up cancelled, but it absolutely does matter. The teams will sign up to rules of participation and it will be a legal agreement. You can't just change them ad hoc throughout the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,199 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sorry now, but it wasn't.

It became not the right call when the other teams in that Anglo-French mess all got their postponements and it has been doubled down on by them all getting 2 points today, and leaving Leinster with a mountain to climb with whatever truncated format is arrived at. The operative word being truncated, because there will be less games to make up the gap, even if we get all five pointers.

Even if our game this weekend is cancelled over Covid in Montpellier, that leaves us at net zero points for two major games.

When the EPCR broke their own protocols by allowing first postponements and now 0-0 results and then held Leinster and others to the 28-0 agreement, they were making it up as it goes along and Leinster were among those quite simply f**ked over as collateral damage.

All anyone asks is fairness. When fairness gets binned as incidental, why should anyone just move on.

Leinster should withdraw from this year's competition and encourage others similarly screwed over to do the same.

• Advertisement

Lol. Withdraw from the tournament? Real life isn't loke social media where everything is blown out of proportion.

The English-French games were cancelled because one team or the other had to much covid to reasonably fulfil the fixture safely. We all know what happened. It was unfortunate for Leinster, but whinging about it would be silly. They could just be grown ups and play the remaining games, and that's exactly what the will do.

I expect all Leinster's toys to stay in the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster should definitely withdraw and throw away a lot of money in the process. That'll teach them.

For goodness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s my ball and I’m taking it home… nah..nah..nah

I really can’t believe we are still discussing. Let alone still rolling out the same false equivalence arguments.

Well this post is definitely a million miles off objective.

Simply put, the games that were postponed could have been played but for travel restrictions that were entirely external factors.

Leinsters game could not be played because of an uncontrolled outbreak within the Leinster camp, ie a very much internal factor.

Scarlets are the ones who should feel aggrieved here. We shouldn’t. We were unlucky in that had our game been 24 hours later or the travel restrictions put in place 24 hours earlier the EPCR probably wouldn’t have made the decision and we’d have been awarded a draw too. As it happens they reviewed the evidence and made a decision prior to all the travel restrictions stuff. They couldn’t well ignore that after the fact.

The IRFU and the provinces' financial positions are too precarious to just shrug at the potential losses of being screwed over.

My point about withdrawing (and indeed having the IRFU withdraw the other three provinces as well) is to collapse the situation altogether and bring EPCR back to the table with an actually equitable solution. A solution that is possible if they are forced into it.

They shouldn't have to be forced into it mind you. But of course the horse has long bolted as regards proper European rugby governance, when eight years ago I and plenty of others warned and warned and warned about letting the fox into the henhouse and giving control of the two European tournaments over to the interests of the private English and French club owners.

In that time they have f**ked the TV presentation, utterly f**ked the tournaments' format and now f**ked the principle of equity, unless you're English or French of course, in which case its all gravy.

I warned ye then and ye ignored the portents and I warn ye now and ye are ignoring the signs. Don't come whinging to me in three or four more years when the greatest club competition of the professional era is wrecked and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd hate to read your reaction in a situation where Leinster actually got screwed over.

I'm sure munster would be fine with screwing itself in solidarity with leinster for having one game awarded against it.

They manage to do it most weeks, whether in solidarity with anyone or not I can't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I give up supporting rugby with all this covid krap, might just switch to watching tennis......oh.....wait!

This is it. Everyone is doing their best in the uncertainty of covid. Circumstances changed pretty quickly and although it certainly didn't suit Leinster, there was no conspiracy to shaft them. Failing to move on is childish at this stage. Leinster will continue to pursue the alternative arrangements but they'll drop it in a few weeks. There's absolutely no reason to think the appeal will have any impact on anything.

• Advertisement

It's about respect.

There are things that wouldn't happen to a Man United or a Real Madrid or to Brazil or the All Blacks.

When you're aristocracy, you get respect, or if you don't, you take it anyway. That's what Leinster are. There's the Crusaders, Stade Toulousain, Western Province and there's Leinster. That's the top table at the feast.

There's little point in being the Billy Big Balls if you don't swing them occasionally and make them work for you.

Let's see once this tournament shakes out, how magnanimous my fellow Leinster posters are feeling if this Montpellier decision is the difference between reaching the knock-outs and not, between getting a home country advantage and not. And having to watch some bunch of journeymen at a Sale Sharks or a Castres progress due to nothing more than an accident of birth.

I'm sorry now lads, but f**k that shyte. And if you don't care enough, maybe you need to be asking yourself why.

I think if the Montpellier decision makes a difference then most Leinster find will be disappointed but will take it on the chin like grown ups. Some posters have delusions of grandeur and will probably talk about being aristocracy and swinging their balls around or some guff like that.

Four times European champions is no delusion. Thats actually being royalty.

Incidentally, this forum is not reflective of the anger on other media. All the stoic magnanimity might feel smugly superior over coffee and brandy, but it doesn't reflect the disgust that's out there. A pretty corrosive disgust.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The reality of the Leinster V Montpellier walkover is that there are very valid points to both sides of the argument. It's just not cut and dry.

I wholly disagree with the walkover myself but I do feel like the competition wont survive this year in its current form anyway. Nothing we can do now though but win the games in front of us.

Royalty? Hard to know if you're being serious, your majesty. I'll need another coffee and a brandy to reflect on the situation with stoicism.

Leinster executive are meeting in the morning to discuss options according to the various rugby correspondents.

Some speculation of a petition to the CAS in Lausanne. That's how you swing a set of Billy Big Balls.

“This competition now has no more sense. Between those who lose with no points, those who don’t play who have two points, it’s rubbish"....

“It annoys me because it skews the tournament. That’s how it is. We’re preparing for the Scarlets match as well possible and we’ll see.

“We will play the competition to the maximum, knowing well it’s skewed,”

-Christopher Urios, Head Coach, Union Bordeaux-Bègles

Hard to argue with Monsieur. Looks like nobody is very happy with this inequitable shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭ersatz

A petition? Like a bunch of kids who want the priest to let them have a lemonade stand?

Aristocrats don't behave like children! Get a grip man.

Leinster suits must be accompanied by the president's aide de camp and the ambassador. Those britfrogs should be given 24 hours to retract this insult or face the awesome caress of Óglaigh na hÉireann. They may underestimate the levels of disgust felt by the people of Ireland but they will soon be disabused of that underestimation. No surrender!

• Advertisement

Eh, no, not the noun, the verb.

A petition to a civil Court or Tribunal. You know when you're the party bringing the case, aka the......petitioner

Awkward.

Advertisement