Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Only giving my opinion but not arsed getting the booster until that bloody cert runs out. I was only double jabbed last august, felt shite after both and don’t relish another round of that in the middle of winter. Can see very little benefit, I’m not in the particularly vulnerable age or illness cohorts. The whole thing is fcukin nuts. Those Covid certs must go, they’re a disgrace. If vaccination stopped transmission then they’d have merit- they don’t. So what is their purpose outside of coercion to keep up the shots?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

surprisingly my [moderna] booster went quite well last week. Only couple of days of headache and a bit of general weakness and that's pretty much it.

my second dose of pfizer was a complete disaster however. Had to take a week off from work. So go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Got my booster in a pharmacy on Dec 14, no updated cert out yet so applied online yesterday and got a reply in a few hours but it was just a copy of my old cert. Anyone know what steps i should take next?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

@Coillte_Bhoy

Wait till Thursday?

If someone who is eligible has not received a cert by next Thursday, they will be able to get one through the government website, gov.ie.

Link

Where is your surname on the alphabet? Someone suggested they where doing it by that.

If you haven't got it by Thursday, contact Pharmacy and ask if they have updated the HSE with booster data?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I understand how you feel, but anecdotally the people I know with boosters have fared better over Christmas than those without, both in terms of probability of being infected and in seriousness of symptoms.

At least with a booster you can time it to be somewhat convenient (which for me would be late on a Thurs so I can spend the weekend on the sofa whining about side-effects without work getting in the way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The vacciations help to reduce transmission, that was supported by data for earlier variants, so it is reasonable to expect it to have some impact v Omicron. This is done by reducing your chances of symptomatic infection and you clear the viral load quicker from your system. It does not eliminate transmission entirely but it prevents transmission in many instances.

Now this aspect of protection wanes more quickly than protection v severe covid infection. But even if we say for the sake of argument it lasts 2-3 months, well those are 2-3 key months in wintertime in the cycle of this virus.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

who cares anymore??

Boosters are so "last year".....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

EMA questioning multiple boosters could damage immune system

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They're not really saying that, more that it should be moved to an annual booster system instead, which is inevitable:

Repeat booster doses every four months could eventually weaken the immune system and tire out people, according to the European Medicines Agency. Instead, countries should leave more time between booster programs and tie them to the onset of the cold season in each hemisphere, following the blueprint set out by influenza vaccination strategies, the agency said

This EMA comment also pokes holes (couldn't resist) in lots of the CT's mad ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Oh, now they say this? After hundred of millions of people have already received boosters based on their 3 month recommendation of just several weeks ago. Medical authorities around the world seem determined to ruin their credibility over and over. This is a cluster **** of epic proportions, even worse than the manufactured opioid crisis. I wonder will anyone be held accountable? Highly doubtful

• Advertisement

But shur anyone with half a brain would have known that from day one..

They said nothing of the sort, this is speculation for future vaccine boosters, but don't let that get in the way of the outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Surname is H so can't be that, thanks very much for your informative reply, ill do that Thursday so

yet most people who have been vaccinated and boosted have got 3 doses already within within 6-9 months!! (on the basis of our ever changing instructions from Government and NPHET). If they are worried about future booster implications on our immune systems you can be damn sure alarm bells are ringing right now about those already with 3 doses!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its reaonsable to draw a link to other areas of health where you dont want to take too much of something as it alters your system to act noramally when you stop taking it. If someone is over 70 its one thing , but making a 12 year old take them on a regualar basis has unquantifiable risks and no benefits for that person.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Not to mention many have had 3 shots and been infected. The cumulative effect of that over a short period must have some implications? It can't be good for the normal function of an immune system. I could understand the benefit possibly outweighing the risks for an old more vulnerable demographic but 16 years and up? That can't be good surely.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

This was my concern and I was told I was anti-vax...but I have heard about this concern from an group of different scientists...

Why does nobody consider our T & B cell immunity...why just focus on circulating antibodies...

I know of a group of 6 double Vaxxed lads, early 30's, all smokers...who got Covid19 over Xmas, the worst was tiredness for a few days with some mild headache, according to them...it felt like a bad cold...

Their double Vax did its job, and personally, all of those 6 are in a much higher risk cohurt than myself (a mix of smokers, poor diet, weight issues, shift work)

It's amazing, the WHO has literally come out and said that the injecting people on a monthly (or very frequent) basis isn't a good idea (something a lot of the anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists said was planned) and they're all jumping to the next talking point rather than acknowledge they got that bit wrong.

Anyway, as I mentioned above already, it's looking like it will be annual boosters for the majority, the vulnerable may get a booster more often, but I doubt it will be more than every 6 months after the initial courses are done (exceptions possibly if there is an immune condition and COVID is a particular risk for an individual). Again, this is all down to safety and why the EMA/FDA/MHRA examine the evidence before approving a treatment and it's dosing schedule and then the countries own authority use that data before approval/disapproval as well.

And again, the virus cares for none of this and will infect people as frequently as it possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just wondering if anyone who got their booster in a GP surgery has received their updated Covid cert yet?

Yes, got booster just before christmas and cert arrived last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

You're the first I've heard of.......I was boosted in an MVC, but lots of family and friends were boosted in GP's and have no updated cert. Out of interest, did you get it emailed or posted? I see from the thread on Certs. that people haven't been receiving certs by post.

I got first jabs in MVC, booster in local GP. Both certs emailed.

Family member got all jabs in that same GP, cert was posted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yep, got the booster in local GP mid November. Covid cert sent to my email last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I got boosted in my GP practice about a week before Christmas and got my cert by email a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

apologies if asked already... is there any news on when age 12 to 16 age group will be offered a booster?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I requested my new booster cert yesterday but they just sent me the old one ?

I was boosted back in December who can i call ? I was boosted by my GP

If you receive your booster from a GP or Pharmacy, please note that there may be a time lag between when you receive your booster and when the data is uploaded to the Covax system to issue your updated certificate.

Contact your GP and ask did they update the Covax system with your booster?

If you are expecting to receive a booster certificate and instead receive your primary vaccination certificate through this process, please contact the Helpline on 1800 807 008

https://www.covidcertificateportal.gov.ie/en-US/issue-vaccine-cert/

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

I got my first two vaccines in a MVC and cert was emailed to me at the time they were all being issued. I got my booster in early December in a pharmacy and the updated cert was issued by email last week. However, my parents got their initial vaccines and boosters from GP surgery and they got the initial Certs in the post. They got their boosters ages before I did but no sign of updated Certs as yet.

• Advertisement

@Rket4000

What to do if you got a text from the HSE saying your Digital COVID Certificate is ready

The text from the HSE invites you to apply for your new Digital COVID Certificate online, as there was no email associated with your data. You can apply to have your new certificate sent to your email or issued to you via post.

They maybe posted out if no email on record, maybe above text if phone number associated with it.

Advertisement